2008 Toyota Avalon lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Apr 152011

Avalon 6-cyl

The passenger side headlight of my 2008 Toyota Avalon limited dimmed for 3 days and then went out. The vehicle was still under warranty and the dealer replaced at no charge. 4,000 miles later (out of warranty) the driver side headlight dimmed for 2 days and now it is out. During each instance, I was able to turn the headlights off and on and each time the headlight would work properly but after a few minutes, the headlight would dim and then go out completely.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Mar 252010

Avalon 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Toyota Avalon with hid headlights. I was on a vacation with my wife and 2 month old driving at night in a storm when I decided to use my high beams. This was approximately March 25th 2010, while driving the high beam bulbs exploded. There is a tsb on the headlights being designed defective. When the high beams exploded it ruined the integrity of the low beams. When I came to a stop both low beams shut off. I turned the lights off and then back on and they came back on but anytime I sit for a minute or so they turn back off. I brought it to the dealership and called Toyota and they both told me since I wasn't in bumper to bumper warranty any more that it would cost me $1,088 a side for parts plus labor to install them. I was also told to fix the low beam problem I would have to buy new bulbs at $175 a piece. I was told it was not a safety issue so they did not have to issue a recall, and that there isn't even anything on file about them looking into it. How is your headlights shutting off not a safety issue" why should I have to pay to get headlights that aren't defective. I understand if they were cracked or damaged in some way but a design defect??" please look into this. I only had 48K miles on the car at the time. I drove the car the 1400 miles back to my home and it has been parked since but on the drive the headlights started cutting out while driving.

- Schofield , WI, USA

Apr 012011

Avalon 6-cyl

Last weekend I was driving my 12yr son to visit his grandfather for spring break. We stopped to use the restroom and turned off the car. When we got back on the road, the high beams would no longer work. We were driving down dark country roads in the middle of no where. I needed extra light, so I turned on my fog lights. Forgetting the high beams wouldn't work, I tried them again; when I applied the beams, the fog lights went out. When I shut the high beams, they came back on. I now have to go pick up my son from his visit and am afraid to drive at night. I've had my left headlight go out intermittently when the car was first shut off, but now my lights are all going off. My brother tried to help me figure out what was wrong and we found nothing physically wrong with the car. We looked online and found multiple complaints. I drive a 2008 Toyota Avalon touring - and I am now afraid to drive at night. I frequently do a lot of night driving, and don't know what to do. I have approx 45,000 miles on the car. If there is a similar recall on the prius, they need to do something before there is a fatal accident!!!!!

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Mar 242011

I purchased my 2008 Avalon touring in February 2008 within two years of owning, I noticed that my high-beam no longer were working. I took into the dealership to have checked, they indicated the high-beam bulbs had burned out. When inquiring why they would both burn-out in such a short period of owning the vehicle the service technician indicated the high beam bulb also works as your day running lights, they quoted a figure of over $160 for the bulbs and another $180 to complete the work. I purchased the bulbs and put them in myself. Upon inspecting the bulbs on removal, both had completed exploded when the went bad. Keeping fingers crossed that this will be the last to time to replace. Over the past couple weeks I noticed that the low-beam light on the passenger side seemed to be shutting down periodically. After researching on the internet, I found that it appears to be an ongoing issue with others. All indications were the only way to correct is replacing the bulb. Once again out of pocket for over a $150. Was able to replace myself. Read a forums where people indicated they had to pull their entire bumper off to replace. Not the case. There is a safety clip that holds the bulb in place, and it takes alittle work to get it off the first time, but not that difficult once you've done. Schedule to take my car in for an oil change this week, and I plan to inquire at the dealership as to the number of complaints that I've noticed on the web with their headlights associated with the 2008 Avalon.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jan 082011

High beams stopped working while driving at night. Fuses are fine. Nothing done to correct the problem and based on the cost in other complaints, it may be awhile. Have emailed local Toyota asking it this was common with 2008 Avalon but have not received a reply.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Mar 112011

Toyota and the NHTSA continues to ignore the problems with the intermittent operation of hid headlights in the Avalon. They intent for someone to died before correcting this problem. I was informed today by Toyota direct that my hid computers are overheating causing my right headlamp to fail for the second time and the left highbeam needing to be replaced. My cost to fix is $2788. Technician apologized but clearly it's not a dealership problem - this is a manufacturer problem - same a prius. If tanazians can overthrown a government on facebook, surely Avalon owners can kill production of this vehicle before someone dies in an accident due to no headlights. Of course we need headlights to drive our vehicles at night!! I am going to create a facebook page today to start the global process of taking this vehicle of the market. Those reading this, please pass the message to those looking to purchase an Avalon. Facebook, twitter and social media that works. I refuse to left Toyota crap on the safety of my family and yours should we meet at night--and I have to navigate without headlights. States require headlights to be on when it's raining, day lamps for safety and of course at night. Look for the facebook page. Never never buy a Toyota!

- Westerville, OH, USA

Feb 262011

Have had intermittent problems with headlights going off. The last incident that occurred was while driving one night at around 70 mph.. all lights went off! we were able to safely pull over and turn lights to off and then back to on. Were able to get low beams back on but not the high beams. Later discovered at the dealership that both high beam bulbs had exploded. We have been told by dealership and an insurance adjuster that this is a design problem with our model/year of car which is a 2008 Avalon. Still fearful that we could have similar issues with the low beams. This is an urgent safety issue! in addition, we have been told that the cost to replace the headlight assemblies would run around $2500! we are lucky that we are under extended warranty.

- Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Jan 152011

Headlight transformer is not working, took to dealer and they told me it would cost me 2,096 to fix it.

- Ohio, OH, USA

Jan 082011

Driving down a dark road, the high beams would not come on. Took it to Toyota dealership and they said high beams burned out and the repair would cost $2600. The dealership stated if they were replaced, they may burn out again. Updated 02/14/11

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Feb 022011

Drivers side head light went out with 47,000 miles. Now the passenger side head light has gone out with 75,000 miles. I haven't had head lights go out on my cars in 20 years until now. My car is a 2008 Toyota Avalon limited.

- Pampa, TX, USA

Jan 162011

Avalon 6-cyl

I just heard on the radio this morning there is a recall on the headlamp's intermittently working/not working on the prius. Please add the 2008 Toyota Avalon to this recall. On December 24,2010, as my wife and I were leaving my daughter and son in-law's house at approx. 8:30 P.M., I used my remote start and started my car. My son-in-law looked outside and said, ¿you have a headlight out¿. it was the right front headlamp. I got in the car and turned the light switch off and turned it back on to ¿auto¿ and both headlights came on once again. However, I had to turn them off and turn them back on to get them both working. On January 16, 2011, my wife, mother-in-law and myself were leaving a restaurant. I again used my remote start and started the car. I walked past the front of the car on my way to the driver's door and would have noticed a light out but I did not. Approximately 1 mile down the road from the restaurant, we entered a dark area and we noticed we could hardly see the road. I said to my wife, I think I have a headlight out? I again turned the headlights off and back on to the auto position and they both came on allowing us to see the road again. This time it was the left front headlamp that went out. Again, please add the 2008 Toyota Avalon to the recall list above.

- Troy, IL, USA

Jan 212011

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds that the headlights would shut off and on intermittently. The vehicle was inspected by a independent mechanic who informed her that the failure may have been caused by the transformer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance since there was no current recalls. The failure mileage was approximately 41,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Jan 052010

Avalon 6-cyl

Headlights turn off, intermittently. I went to my Toyota dealer they said that I needed to replace them, now I have done research and found this is a common problem with Toyota Avalon.. the next evening (tonight) I have the same problem, driving and the left light went out. Sometimes it is the right. When I turn off the switch and then on again they resume operation...for an unpredictable time. This is a issue that have resulted in a recall.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 302011

Avalon 6-cyl

Headlights turn off, intermittently. I went to my green Toyota in lexington ky Friday January 29, 2011 and they didn't fix the problem, they said they couldn't duplicate it. Now I have done research and found this is a common problem with Toyota. The next evening (tonight) I have the same problem, driving and the left light went out. Sometimes it is the right. When I turn off the switch and then on again they resume operation...for an unpredictable time.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 272011

Avalon 6-cyl

Have been reported and still no recall. Please hold Toyota accountable to correct this problem before people are killed over it!!

- Lititz, PA, USA

Jan 232008

Avalon 6-cyl

We have a 2008 Toyota Avalon limited. Coming home at dark, pulled into neighbors driveway, heard a "pop" noise. Didn't notice anything different at the time. Three or so minutes later, pulling into our own driveway just down from the neighbors, heard another "pop" and this time noticed the exterior lights had changed. Now high beam/drl bulb is inoperative or perhaps has shattered. We are left with only low beam lights.

- Redmond , WA, USA

Jan 122011

Avalon 6-cyl

Owner of 2008 Toyota Avalon. Two weeks ago the left high beam headlight went out (shattered), had that replaced and this week both high beams went out at the same time. Both high beam lights were shattered within the housing area. Went to local dealership and advised of the $2,000 plus cost since vehicle if out of warranty with 76,000 miles. Luckily, we have not had the total light failure situation. This is a severe safety concern and should be corrected at Toyota expense.

- Raleigh, IL, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph when the headlights failed. The contact engaged the switch several times before the headlights re-illuminated. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated that the front light unit would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted in regards to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 53,925.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 202010

Both high beam headlight on 2008 Toyota Avalon stop working. 28,000 miles on vehicle.Toyota has issued a tsb on all 2008 to 2010 Avalons headlight assembly but are charging $ 2200 to replace with a new redesigned headlight assembly they admit to problem but will not issue recall. Does someone have to die before this issue is addressed ?

- Laurel Hill, NC, USA

Jun 012010

Right side high beam bulb (also doubles as driving light) found shattered. Bought new bulb (about $45 online) and installed myself. No reason found for shattered bulb.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA