2014 Toyota Avalon engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Avalon:

2014 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Jun 032015

Post collision system (with auto-brake) activated (including seat belt tightening) with a clear road ahead. This could result in a major disaster if it happened ahead of a tractor trailer at interstate speeds.... updated 06-18-15

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 152013

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle veered to the left. In addition, the contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Orange, NJ, USA

Aug 112014

I have had a driving license for 68 years with 3 minor collisions with no fatalities or hospitalization. When I was taught to drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission, I was introduced to left foot braking and told it would result in faster braking as well as insuring that I would not drive into or through a store or building when my right foot slipped off the brake pedal onto the accelerator. We took possession of the Avalon on August 6, 2014. This first frightening incident occurred August 11, 2014. I was attempting a U turn to reverse direction at an island on a divided highway, easing off on the gas pedal, but not removing my foot from it completely, while moderating my speed with slight applications of the brakes with my left foot. I removed my foot from the brake pedal and applied a bit more gas, and nothing happened, and I thought that my engine had stalled. My tachometer showed the engine was revved to 1200 RPM, but the car was slowing down. After a delay I estimate was 3 or 4 seconds, the transmission suddenly engaged, and the car took off. I had a few more similar incidents entering or leaving parking lots in the following weeks. I was told by a Toyota service rep. At the dealer that the Toyota are designed to discourage left foot braking. After going through my several Toyota manuals I discovered on page 27 of the 2014 Toyota quick reference guide a paragraph entitled "smart stop technology", which explains a feature incorporated to keep a car from rolling backwards when starting on a hill I believe that this could cause an accident for a driver with many years of left foot braking.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA