1998 Toyota Camry accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Camry:

1998 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Dec 272001

I have been tring to have a tether strap anchor installed in my Camry for my child's restraint which requires such tether. Initially, I contacted the local Toyota dealership and the service person on the phone said he wouldn't install it, because the local hospital, shands, had yelled at him for improper installations on prior car restraints. When I asked the same service man if he could read the car manual to determine which parts would be necessary, he said it made no sense to him. I then called the national Toyota dealership and was given the phone number of the department of transportation. I then searched the internet for a Toyota parts department in richardson Texas and ordered the parts listed in the manual as necessary. I then called back the local Toyota dealership and made an appointment to have the parts installed. After taking the parts to the local dealership, I was told that there were missing parts. The missing parts were not sent to me by the Toyota richardson parts department. I searched again the Toyota web site to find the missing part, which was the anchor for the tether. Only the bolts and the spacers were sent by Toyota richardson. I called the national Toyota customer service department to ask if they could identify the part that I needed since, the owner's manual does not clearly label the part other than calling it the tether anchor. I feel that the car dealership needs to have knowledge of how to properly install tether straps into their cars, but I can't even find some one at the dealership who knows which parts I need to order as listed in the owner's manual.

- Gainesville, FL, USA