1998 Toyota Camry brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Camry:

1998 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Mar 171999

I began complaining about brake problems within days of leasing the car. I kept being told that the grinding noises were normal for Toyota. Finally at 11,000 miles they examined the brakes and discovered they had ground down into the rotors. They said that the brakes were my responsibility and I must pay. I protested, with no success. I took the car to an independant and had it repaired for half the money Toyota wanted. Between then and now I have had my brakes fail 4 more times. Twice the rotors have been replaced and the rear drums once, all through Toyota. The last time, after being told there was nothing wrong with the car, I persisted and they discovered that the push rod in the master cylinder was not adjusted properly. The system was repaired and just 6,000 miles later the brake system is failing again. The factory rep. Showed my father that the system has overheated and scored the rotors and drums. The pads had little left on them. Toyota said the system checks out fine and it's my problem. 5 brake jobs in 30,000 miles, something is wrong. Please help!

- Capistrano Beach, CA, USA