5.1

2. had car washed, then reset check engine light (2 reports)
  3. replace oxygen sensor (2 reports)
  4. change module sensor underneath manifold (1 reports)
  5. replaced evap canister (1 reports)
1999 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Toyota Camry:

1999 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jun 252008

Camry V4

Was told the egr valve needed to be replaced...twice, which I did and still didn't fix the problem. Changed the o2 sensor as well, nothing...still being told by everyone that I need a new EGR valve which I know is not true seeing as how I've put 2 new ones on since the problem started and it hasn't worked yet. I can't get my inspection until the check engine light is off and I can't get the check engine light off until I figure out the problem. definitely not an egr valve...

- , Kannapolis, NC, USA

Jul 012010

Camry LE 2.2L 4 cyls

Well. I love my Camry. But the engine light has been on forever now. The code reads Exhaust Gas Recirculation, but I had a mechanic check it and say it works fine.

There isn't anything wrong with the car but the check engine is definitely annoying. Also it seems like a common problem among Toyotas. Replacing the EGR valve doesn't seem to solve it.

- , Kanata, Ontario, canada

Jan 032011

Camry CE

toyota manufacturers have made a reasonable sensor that will detect problem not to annoy consumers

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 122011

Camry LE 2.2L L4

Changed the oil at 109,000 miles and the check engine light comes on right after I changed it. Took it to the mechanic and he said it was a bad rear oxygen sensor. This seems to be an occasional problem for 97-01 Camrys.

- , South Windsor, CT, USA

Sep 102010

Camry LE 2.2L L4

Coming off the exit ramp of the highway on the way to college on a Friday morning, I see the check engine light come on. This was the first time this had ever happened with this car. I've heard complaints from other owners, and I'm thinking not me. Take the car to the mechanic later that day and I'm diagnosed with a bad evaporate emissions canister, which costs $540.00 parts and labor to fix. One of the hoses in it was bad. Never really saw a drop in gas mileage or a loss of power though.

- , South Windsor, CT, USA

Jun 292008

Camry CE V4

HELLO! I JUST GOT THE USED CAR FROM THE DEALER WHICH WAS TOYOTA CAMRY CE 1999. EVERYTHING WAS ALRIGHT BUT WHEN I GOT THE CAR IN JUST TWO DAYS THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS TURNED ON AND WHEN I RESET THE LIGHTS FOR TWO TIMES IT TURN ON AGAIN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO I AM VEY UPSET TO BUY THE CAR BECAUSE OF THE CHECK LIGHT GOT ON.

- , Bryans Road, MD, USA

May 072008

Camry 2.2L 4 cyl

Toyota Camry has begun to have problems; this is my 3rd one but seems to have more problems.

- , Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Jun 222007

Camry CE 4 cyl

Here is my 3rd complaint for my lovely rattletrap of a car, the freakin oxygen sensor. The engine light comes on, take it to have the computer check it and print out what the problem is. Lo and behold the same damn problem I had fixed a few months ago, the fuel air meter, or oxygen sensor. I had it FIXED!!! I still have the damn paper where I got a new one. What is the problem here? These cars SUCK, I HATE IT!!! This is a one owner car, and I knew the people we got it from. These 99 models are defective and Toyota needs to fix the problems. I am sick and tired of dealing with it. I refuse to buy another sensor, it can blow up for all I care. It is a beautiful car, nice wheels, centercaps are loose, but it is a beautiful car, but looks can be deceiving. Don't buy the 99 Camry, CE or LE. They are LEMONS.

- , Bassett, VA, USA

Mar 252006

Camry

Dealership service depts. are ripping off owners by charging for reading out engine trouble codes and for resetting the Check Engine light, when AutoZone will do the readout free and ANY owner can reset the light easily. Also, I suspect they are doing a lot of costly replacements when frequently all that is needed is a simple maintenance procedure, like tightening the gas cap or replacing the engine air filter.

To reset the Camry Check Engine light, find the RELAY/FUSE box under the hood on the driver's side near the battery. With the engine turned off, remove the cover of the box and look at the diagram imside the cover. Find the EFI fuse (not the EFI realy, which is also in the box).. With your fingertips, or with a needle nose pliers (gently), pull out the EFI fuse. After about a minute, push the fuse back into its holder. Then start the car and the Check Engine light will go off. If you're lucky it will stay off.

- , Fairport, NY, USA