2000 Toyota Camry accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Toyota Camry:

2000 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jul 082006

Camry 4-cyl

I was riding in a 2000 Toyota Camry when the vehicle was rear-ended by a 3/4 tone truck carrying a trailer with lawn maintenance equipment. I experienced back injuries as did the driver. The complaint though, is that the front passenger seat, where I was sitting with my seat belt in use, did not withstand the collision. The upright portion of the seat was laying on top of the back seat after the impact. This contributed to the back and shoulder injuries I received. The Toyota was not hit from the side so the failure of the seat was not the result of a direct impact. The seat simply came loose and failed to maintain its position as I was thrown forward and then back. After the accident and during the repair process, the body shop checked the seat and stated the locking mechanism is working properly however, the seat has not been "right" since the accident. It is not properly positioned. The impact was fairly substantial (up to $5000 in damage - trunk was crumpled and other damage) and the airbags did not deploy. Just after the moment of impact, I looked over at my mother who was driving and watched in horror as she snapped over the steering wheel. I don't know if airbag deployment requires a "head-on" before the bags will deploy but this situation could have been much worse (initially I was afraid my mother's neck had fractured) and had my mother gone any further forward, the failure of the airbags to deploy would have resulted in a serious if not fatal injury.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

May 062005

Camry 4-cyl

I had a 2000 Toyota Camry. My wife was driving it and she is the only one in the car. 1) she stopped at highway, since all cars in front of her stopped. 2) a 98 Nissan hit her car from behind around 50-60 miles/H. my wife's car hit the car in front of her, and the car in front of her car hit another car. 3)even the front section of my wife's was serious damaged, non of the four airbag deployed. This one is not my complaint here, just provided as a reference information. 4)the driver's seat became flat (been damaged by my wife's body, and she is only around 130 lbs) right after the impact, and no more support for the body, (at this situation, seat belt does not help at all), and she slipped out of the seat, and her head hit somewhere inside the car. She got serious concusion. 5) I only saw Toyota tested front impact, side impact, did not see any rear impact. The driver's seat is supposed to support the body at the time, and it failed to stay, and let the body slip out of it, with seat belt only hook the legs. 6) the strength of the driver seat (power seat) needs to be evaluated, and I want an answer from Toyota. 4)

- Webster, NY, USA

Jan 312004

Camry

Consumer's vehicle was struck from the rear at approximately 40 mph. Then, consumer's vehicle struck the vehicle in front. Upon impact, air bags did not deploy, and driver's seat broke, tossing the consumer.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jan 182002

Camry

While driving an accident occurred, vehicle was hit from behind. Impact broke driver's seat in which the back laid horizontally. Also, airbag did not deploy.

- North Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Jul 122001

Camry

My car was hit from behind by a GMC truck, my Camry trunk collapsed, I was pulled strongly backward, my driver seat was broken fall down to a position about 15 degree from the horizontal, my left hand while still hold strongly by reflex on the wheel was injured while keeping me vertical. I think the driver seat isn't strong enough to protect the driver. I am 205 lbs and I don't think that is too heavy to create enough force to break the driver seat. I already report that problem to Toyota custumer service but they will only call me during three business day it means befor Tuesday July 31. My aaa insurance offer me total lost anh I already accepted it, while do so the car will be no more my property anyway I can't keep the car in the body shop ( body craft 1128 sibley St folsom, ca 95630, 916 985 6002 ) under my charge. I have to remark that the representative of Toyota say me that they have the right to inspect the car during 30 days after the day they are informed about the defect, I told them that if they have interest to inspect the car to find down if the defect is real they have to act as quick as possible, while the car is still in this body shop they can come to take a look or ask aaa to know where the car is, I wont where is the car beacause it will no longer belong to me.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Nov 142000

Camry

While making a turn another vehicle was traveling at rate of 35mph and hit consumer's vehicle from behind, causing front seat to break. Consumer sustained an injury.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA