1. stop buying Toyota as quality has gone down (3 reports)
2002 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Camry:

2002 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Mar 152013

Camry LE 2.4L

Well, besides the stripped head stud threads in the block (also a 2.4 issue) the engine burns oil like I owned a well. This has the knock on problem of fouling the cat converter, a $1200.00 item as well. The problem is that the oil control rings on the pistons cannot do their job properly because of a design flaw of the pistons themselves. The oil rings have slots which allow the scraped from the walls to be drained back into the sump to be used again.

Problem is the drain back holes in the pistons were made too small and clog easily, preventing drain back and proper oil control. Add a few missed oil changes and some sludge and you have a engine that will use a litre every 6-700K with no signs of abating. The cure is of course a engine overhaul and modified pistons and rings installed at considerable expense. This seem to be a problem in the later years as well, so I am not sure when if ever the problem was addressed. A shame, as the engine has great power with excellent gas mileage otherwise. Then there is the stud problem.....

- , Burlington, ON, Canada

Nov 292014

Camry Sportivo 2.4L 4 cyl

People buy Toyotas due to the myth of their reliability. My Camry drinks 4 litres of oil every 2500 ks. I should sell my home and buy one closer to work, it would work out cheaper. I will not on sell my oil drinking Camry to some unaware buyer. I want Toyota to be honest and fix my car.

- , Bayswater, Victoria, Australia

Sep 192007

Camry XLE V4

I have been a steady buyer of Toyota Camry for the past twenty years. My most recent purchase has turned out to be a lemon for me. My 2002 Toyota Camry has been consuming oil at the rate of approximately one quart per 1000 miles. Since I did most of my servicing at the Toyota dealership, I took the car in for oil consumption test. It was verified that there was no external leakage. I was further informed that this rate of oil consumption is within the design specification of the Toyota engine. Since I never had this kind of problem with my previous Toyota Camry, including those with extremely high mileage, my recent experience tells me that the Toyota Camry quality may have gone down hill fast and is currently living off it fine past reputation.

This kind of oil consumption by design also makes a mockery of the public web statement by Mr. Fujio Cho, Chairman of the Toyota Corporation, on the use of "advanced environmental technologies" in their cars.... yes it is so advanced that it burns oil one quart per 1000 miles and then pump the burnt oil products into the air we breathe. Thank you very much, Mr. Cho.

Based on my most recent experience, I will never buy a Toyota ever again and I want to share my experience with all potential buyers so they can make smart decision on Toyota products.

- , Ellicott City, MD, USA