2002 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Camry:

2002 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Aug 012016

Camry 4-cyl

2002 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to at time of vehicle purchase, dealership did not inform consumer vehicle was in litigation due to unintended acceleration class action claims.

- North Amityville, NY, USA

Aug 092016

I was backing into a parking space with the foot on the break when my car suddenly accelerated back and I hit the wall. I looked down to see if my foot was on the gas but it was on the break. I got out and looked at the car but since I was close to the wall there was no damage. This was two days ago. Forward to today, I pulled out of my parking spot on the street. I put my foot on the brake at the intersection to check for traffic, when I applied the break, the engine revved and the car accelerated about a foot and stopped. So while going to my destination I had to stop significantly far away from cars, intersections or anything else because when I break. The car accelerates 1-2 feels at a very high speed before jerking to a stop. The car is now parked because it is unsafe to drive.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 282016

Took the car to good year change a bunch of parts. Aftet that took the car to get the oil changed. On the 01/27/2016 check engine light is now on the the vehicle. I sent you are report last week as well. I need your intervention. Please stop Toyota from ripping consumer off. It now states that the gas cap is off and or loose. This is not the case.

- Bloomfield, CT, USA

Dec 172015

Sudden unintend acceleration at slow speed--on December 17, 2015, when pulling slowly into a garage and nearly stopped, the car suddenly surged forward raming the car into the garage interior wall. This resulted in "totaling the car" and damage to the garage and property in the garage. This is the second time that this sudden unintend acceleration occurred with this 2002 Camry. It also occurred on January 20, 2010 with a different driver (my wife) who had her foot on the brake when pulling into a parking spot. The car suddenly surged forward about three car lengths causing damage to the underside of the vehicle. We filed a complaint with NHTSA on January 30, 2010 (seenhtsa id number 10303355). For the 2010 incidence the car was towed to a Toyota dealer where repairs where made. When we picked up our car from the Toyota dealer, we noted that none of the repair items on the invoice mentioned accelerations problems. Several days later after complaining to the Toyota service manager, he agreed to perform a "courtesy inspection of accelerator pedal assembley for any possible binding sticking slow return or abnormal performance." No problems were noted. The service manager said the vehicle was safe to drive. In both incidences the surges were quick, unintended, and at very slow speeds. The incidences involved two different drivers.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 142015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. While driving 5 mph approaching a gate, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the vehicle went through the gate and crashed head on into another vehicle. The passenger sustained injuries to the head and leg. Also, the occupants of the other vehicle sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012013

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly to 90 mph. The contact stated that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jun 012015

2002 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle acceleration problems. The consumer stated her mother was involved in an accident, when the vehicle suddenly accelerated out of control, as a result of the accelerator pedal being stuck. The consumers mother crashed into another vehicle.

- New York, NY, USA

Apr 082015

Camry 4-cyl

My wife was backing into our garage. She pulled forward to realign car. When she placed gearshift back into reverse (autom. Xmsn) and perhaps had lightly touched the accelerator pedal, the throttle immediately went to very high setting. Car accelerated backward until stopped by firewood pile, furnace and rear wall of garage. Throttle continued at high setting for some time. Driven wheels kept spinning (as shown by skid marks on garage floor). Then throttle autonomously returned to idle. Firewood was scattered. Furnace was destroyed. Garage wall was displaced about one inch. Bumper, one rear light assembly and one quarter panel of car were damaged. (body shop inspection may reveal other damage.) my wife experienced neck discomfort, which has gone away. She is sure that she did not press accelerator pedal more than very lightly. Clearly, under other circumstances the results of the throttle runaway could have been far more disastrous.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Apr 052015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle unintentionally accelerated while in a parking space. The contact mentioned that the vehicle surged forward rapidly and crashed into a wall. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 6/30/15

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 072015

While driving on highway car ride is jerky. At any left exit the car shuts off on exit ramp on left turn. Steering tightens and lock-up. The car shuts done while still in drive mode. The engine goes quite and dies.the gas pedal stop producing power. The car shuts off completely with key in ignition and still in drive. Also going down hill the car becomes immobile and stall. On other occasions car stall at lights on local roads shortly after making left turns and stop light. I took the vehicle into Toyota superstore weston St hartford ct. On three occasions. They kept it for a day, two days, a week and there is still no solution.. nothing has been done to stop the condition. I took it to local mechanics, auto zone. They see the car act up but there are no codes and no system error activity summary. Dealership offer no solution. Always there are 3 light that comes on. Check engine light, check battery light and check fuel light. Triple a toll this cat on 3 occasions. On one occasion during the snow it had check traction light came on. Please someone help me. I took my car in to the dealership always to get the necessary oil change because I have lifetime oil and lube. They are the ones servicing the car so if any parts go wrong they are the ones changing them.. they want me to buy a new car. I told them I cannot afford one. I wonder if they are sabotaging my car. In hopes that I will purchase a new one. Please help me! I learned that the car stops and starts up again after you shut it down take the key out of the ignition for a while so this is how I am surviving. This is very scary! help!

- Bloomfield, CT, USA

Apr 062014

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while applying the brakes, the vehicle suddendly accelerated and warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and shifted into the park position. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal function. The failure occurred on 2 different occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 90,000. Updated 8/12/14

- Hunting, NY, USA

Camry 4-cyl

2002 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle acceleration problems. The consumer stated when the sudden acceleration occurred, he immediately placed the gear in park.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Apr 062014

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where the technician was unable to find a failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.updated 06/10/14

- Hungtington, NY, USA

Mar 222014

Camry 4-cyl

My wife was in the process of parking the car in a private driveway. She pulled into the parking spot and pressed the brake to shift into park. As soon as she pressed the brake the car lurched forward. The car struck the parking curb damaging the front bumper. She put the car in neutral and looked down to make sure her foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal. She turned off the ignition, shifted into park and called me to tell me what had just happened. I will be contacting the service manager of the nearest dealer for inspection and to make a formal complaint with Toyota.

- Ville Platte, LA, USA

Jan 142014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contacted stated that while driving 5 mph and attempting to park, the vehicle began to accelerate independently. The vehicle crashed into a set of cement stairs. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. Updated 4/4/14

- Kenner, LA, USA

Dec 232013

Camry 4-cyl

Components on vehicle dash not operating. Instrument panel stopped working. No temp. Gauge, no fuel gauge, no tach or speedometer. Light on instrument panel not working. Have been to three mechanics who diagnosed but cannot repair. Contacted Toyota and quoted excessive price of $780 plus tax and diagnostic time to repair.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 302013

Camry 6-cyl

On the evening on August 30, 2013, my wife and I were involved in an auto accident due to a sudden unintended acceleration problem with our 2002 Toyota Camry. I was driving at a low speed around a cul-de-sac when the car accelerated out of my control and crashed into a tree. I pressed the brake a few times but it was ineffective. The crash destroyed the car and is determined to be a "total loss."

- La Palma, CA, USA

Aug 112013

Camry 4-cyl

On 8/11/13 I pulled up to a gas pump, and as I shifted the transmission into park while my foot was on the brake pedal, the engine suddenly accelerated. I purchased this used vehicle on 12/1/12 to replace my car that was destroyed by superstorm sandy.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 192013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that after shifting into reverse, the vehicle lunged backwards. The contact then shifted into drive and the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was destroyed. There were no injuries. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 9/12/13 the consumer stated when she placed the vehicle in reverse, the vehicle lurched and she brushed a vehicle next to her, and the vehicle made a very loud noise. She then put the vehicle in drive with her foot on the brake, but it did not stop, so she slammed it into park, but the vehicle still did not stop.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jun 262013

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. As the vehicle increased in speed and the brakes became inoperable, the contact applied the emergency brake and powered off the vehicle to stop the failure. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but no cause for the failure was determined. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA