2002 Toyota Camry wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Camry:

2002 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 242003

Camry 4-cyl

The tire showed signs of excessive wear on the inside and outside of them. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealership and had the tires rotated, balance and aligned. Continental touring contact as lsize# P205/65R15 dot# acur3K42702.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Oct 012002

Camry 4-cyl

The vehicle was taken in for routine inspection and the mechanic noticed all 4 tires were wearing on the inside and outside, some pieces of ply were sticking through. All four tires were rotated twice and the air pressure was good. Continental rep. Stated "too bad not their problem customer abuse or mechanical problem."

- Burton, OH, USA

Sep 272003

Camry

While driving at 65 mph rear driver's side tire blew out, causing the driver to pull off the road. Owner has contacted the dealership.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Feb 092003

Camry 4-cyl

I own a 2002 Camry SE, and it came originally equipped with Bridgestone turanzas on it. These tires are worthless in the snow and rain. I took my complaint to the Toyota dealer, and they said that the tires were "performance" tires and all they could do was help me get a discount on another set of tires. That is not acceptable, as this type of (family) car should not have come equipped with a dangerous tire. I complained to the Bridgestone dealer as well, and they told me that these were very hard tires, and are the type that would normally be put on a corvette, or similar sports car. I was forced to replace the tires at my expense, with only 21,000 miles on them. The car would not stop in the snow, and would slip at takeoff in the rain as well. These tires should have never been put on this car. I am disappointed that Toyota would put this type of tire on a Camry.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 012002

New automobile problems.

- Mamaroneck, NY, USA

Mar 152003

Camry 4-cyl

The tires contained bubbles. It was later taken to the hudiburg Toyota. They removed the tire and performed an inspection, the dealer stated the defect was caused by road hazards. New tires were placed on the vehicle.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Nov 152002

Camry

When the brakes were pressed while driving on wet roads the vehicle slid severely. This was caused by the tire per the dealership.

- Bloomfield, CT, USA

Jan 062003

Camry 4-cyl

I bought a 02 Toyota Camry SE last year. I live in Michigan and in the winter it snows quite a bit. Generally normal (not snow) tires work fine in the winter. However, the new tires that come with the SE are not meant for winter weather at all. They perform terribly even in the least amount of now and skid. I had several incidents where I almost had fatal accidents. Luckily I did not get into a crash as I drive extremely slowly. I called the dealer and they did not do anything. However, they replaced the tires for a few SE buyers but did not do so for me. I think Toyota knows of this problem and have refused to do anything about it. I think they should not sell the SE with the Bridgestone tires that they currently do. You can expect a buyer to replace all four new tires when they have only 2000 miles on them. This is a safety hazard for people who do not realize the problem before they buy the vehicle. I hope you will investigate this matter and help all the SE buyers.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 142003

Camry

The tire experienced a blow out.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Jan 032003

Camry 6-cyl

I have 2002 Camry SE V6. The car came with brigestone tires that were totally uncontrollable under very little snow conditions. Driving this car on a couple of snow days gave me the scare of my life. I tried to contact the dealer and Toyota many times and did not get any help. I have spend $300 traded my new tires to different tires. The traction of the vehicle greatly improved. I simply can not believe a 'reputed' car company can S... customer like this when they spend $30,000 on a brand new car. The second problem I have is that the car 'wobbles' while driving at all speeds. May complaints to the dealers got the same response: "the road are to be blamed, nothing wrong with the car". recently I got the wheel balance/alignment done. Not much difference. I drive my other vehicle on the same roads and never feel this way. Driven other cars and not felt like this. This definitely seems some defect in the suspension/wheels or frame. Toyota - you better do something about this or people will just "talk" about these problems and you will have to hear them.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Mar 142003

Camry

All 4 of the Bridgestone potenza tires were dangerous under snowy conditions. The tread filled up with snow, and tires had no traction, which caused them to spin.

- Guildford, CT, USA

Mar 142003

Camry

All 4 of the Bridgestone potenza tires were dangerous under snowy conditions. The tread filled up with snow and the tires had no traction, which caused them to spin.

- Guildford, CT, USA

Mar 062003

Camry 6-cyl

Since I purchased this car it has been problems, first it was the brakes vibrating, took it in and right away the dealer knew what it was without me even explaining it to him, they fixed that in 2 trips. Then it was the rotten egg smell, they could not find anything wrong.(then why does my car stink when I try to get power out of the engine?) then it was the knocking and pinging in the engine, (I was told that they could not duplicate the problem, but my octane level was low to upgrade my gas. The manufacturers provided owners manual states 87 octane gas or higher, I already use 89 octane and have since the day I bought the car, so why should I have to spend money on higher priced gas when the car is only 1 year old and the engine should not make any noises. Now it is the tires and alignment the alignment is completely off that the tires are destroyed with only 17,250 miles on them, yet the car shows no sign of the alignment being off, it drives straight stays in one lane and the steering wheel is even straight, so how after one year with low miles is the alignment off and the tires are destroyed, and why was it unnoticed when I had my tires balanced and rotated 2 months earlier at 15,000 miles" by the same dealership! I feel that this car has alot of problems that the manufacturer does not want to address, look at how many other people are having the same problems, and we are all told that it is wear and tear or that there is no problem at all, well then why are we all having the same problems? I called Toyota's main office logged a complaint and was told that someone would get back to me, it has been 3 days now and not one call has come my way! I feel that I should not have to pay for the repairs to this car since it is a nation wide problem, especially since it is a $27000 car that has depreciated in value by more than $7000 in less than one year, what happened to Toyota's retaining there value" I wish everybody much luck with their issues.

- Margate, FL, USA

Feb 152003

Camry 4-cyl

The standard tires on the 2002 Toyota Camry SE are horrible on snow. Whenever there is any snow on the ground, the car has absolutely no traction. It can't even make it up my driveway.

- Marion, OH, USA

Feb 102003

Camry 4-cyl

Regarding 2002 Toyota Camry. Started experiencing pulling and bumping sensations from front soon after 5000 miles. Had tires rebalanced and rotated, problem continued. Took car to dealer who said alignment was off and supposedly corrected. No change, in fact, steering wheel was still slightly off center. Took car back to dealer who said nothing was wrong but did another alignment, this time straightening out the steering wheel. Problem did not go away. We are now at 19000 miles having just rotated the tires again in hopes it would solve the problem, but it has not. Additionally, we have recently noticed poor braking traction even at slow speeds in wet conditions and a spinning out of a wheel going around corners at slow speed. We are frustated by the inability of Toyota North of mt. Kisco, NY to solve this problem.

- Mohegan Lake, NY, USA

Jan 282003

Camry 6-cyl

While attempting to accelerate vehicle slid backward. Tires do not have any traction on snow or ice and feels they are unsafe.

- Paris, KY, USA

Feb 032003

Camry

Toyota refuses to satisfy consumers complaint on faulty tires. The tires that were purchased with the vehicle have inadequate traction on snow covered surfaces. Consumer doesn't' feel any one should have to bear the cost of replacing all four tires for winter conditions. Consumer is seeking reimbursement of monies paid for these replacement tires.

- Red Hook , NY, USA

Dec 052002

Camry 4-cyl

I purchased a Toyota Camry 2002 SE in December of 2001and discovered after driving to and from work during a snow storm 12/5/02 that the car was equiped without all season tires. I narrowly avoided several accidents that day, as did others I am sure. However, I discovered while speaking with the tire manufacturer(toyo) that the tires are considered "summer" tires and are not made for snow and/or ice. They stated the type of tire placed on the car is determined by the car manufacturer not toyo. I contacted the dealer as I am extremely concerned about other people purchasing Camry without knowing they need to purchase snow tires or all season tires. They apparently are not as concerned as I as they stated they would not debate on what I was told at the time of the sale and the only thing they could do for me is to order replacement tires at a discount. I then proceeded to call the tire manufacturer back to express my concern and was told they would pay 75% of the cost of the same tire (toyo, J33, P21560R 16 94V), to replace the existing tires. They stated I could replace the tires with any make of my choice. It was their preference that I use a local company that sells toyo tires. I stopped to order replacement tires and found after inspection, the tires are bare down the center and are worn down to the wearbars. So not only am I driving, without knowledge, a car that does not have any type of tread for snow/ice I am driving with minimal tread. I understand the tires are high performance tires, however I do not feel they should have worn in the manner they did after 14000 miles. I have several concerns, one being with Toyota and the fact that the dealer or dealers are not informing the buyer of the need to purchase all season or snow tires at the time of the sale. How many consumers or innocent victims will be or have been injured in accidents due to this same issue. Secondly, the tire manufacturer for procuding what appears to me defective tires.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Aug 062002

Camry

On hwy car pulled left. After Canadian trip brought car to dealer who rotated tires & did alignment. Car still pulled left. Returned to dealer who rotated left fron tire. Car still pulled left. Brought to dealer 3rd. Time and shop foreman said it was "tire kineticism". dealer removed tire from rim, inverted tire, and remounted and balanced tire. Dealer test drove and said no more pull. When asked who would pay for future inverting of tire during 5 wheel rotation dealer could not answer. Spoke to Toyota reginal spervisor who test drove car and said right rear out of alignment. I requested Michelin tire upgrade and would split difference in cost with Toyota. Toyota said alignment and inverting tire would solve problem. Toyota never responded to query re: Who pays cost of re- inverting one tire and inverting another tire during rotation. I'm concerned for my safety & future rotation costs with these bridgestones. Want upgraded tire replacement & these tires sent back to Bridgestone for analysis. I also went to a Bridgestone dealer in framingham and they said they never heard of "kinteticism" and tire inverting to resolve alignment problem. I suspect a weak sidewall causing car to pull left and worry about safety. Request dot take prompt investigative action. So far total of 4 visits to dealer who has acknowleged the problem but denies it is a problem. In other words live with it.

- Natick, MA, USA

Aug 252002

Camry

There is a bubble on outside of the left front tire. Original equipment, 10000 miles, mounted on a Toyota Camry 2002.*akthe dealer refused to replace the tire.

- Mayfield, KY, USA