- October 22: Toyota Recalls Highlander to Reconnect Brake Fluid Sensor recalls | 5 days ago
- October 19: Lexus Exploding Sunroof Lawsuit Alleges Sunroof Glass is Defective news | 8 days ago
- October 16: California DMV Welcomes Federal Driverless Car Guidelines news | 11 days ago
- October 12: Toyota Recalls Prius Over Rollaway Dangers recalls | 15 days ago
- September 15: Toyota Recalls Prius to Fix Spasmatic Airbags recalls | 42 days ago
2003 Toyota Camry
CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2003 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.
The problem with NHTSA data for the 2003 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.
So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.
CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2003 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.
Worst 2003 Camry engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- stripped head bolts21
- engine died18
- knocking noise from intake manifold6
- sudden unintended acceleration6
- bad valve seals causing smoke5
- low idle heavy vibrating2
- runs roughly2
- engine dies after starting1
- engine sludge and blown engine1
- engine turns over but won't start1
- oil filler baffle damage1
- yellow light appeared while driving1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control221
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling52
- NHTSA: Engine36
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine32
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal27
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota Camry Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Camry compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota Camry overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Camry.