Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2003 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2003 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2003 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2003 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Camry:

2003 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Nov 182004

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. While traveling 30 mph the contact applied the brakes and noticed that the vehicle continued to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, yet, no repairs were made. The failure has occurred on three occasions. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 8856 and the current mileage was approximately 35000.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Mar 212010

While pulling into a driveway with right foot on the brake my 2003 Camry suddenly accelerated striking another vehicle parked in the same driveway. Sudden acceleration has been a frequent problem when driving at higher speeds and is corrected by tapping the brake. Nothing has been done yet to correct the problem as the vehicle is out of warranty.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Jun 012007

Summer 2007, driving from bedford, tx to southwest fort worth, 2003 Toyota Camry suddenly accelerated from near stop condition to much higher speed for two or more blocks. Not sure how fast it was going. Don't recall details. This never happened again. Still owns car.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Oct 062009

10/06/09 accident--uncontrolled acceleration 2003 Toyota Camry causing extensive damage to car and rear garage wall. Because car has not appeared on recall lists my insurance co. Advises I am responsible for the accident and will face increased premium. I feel this unfair and unjust. This was the most terrifying experience of my life. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I was advised to register my complaint with you by tv consumer advocate "7 on your side". the car was parked when I started it to put in garage--therefore, I cannot put proper speed in area subsequent to this section.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Dec 082009

In the process of pulling into a parking space in a parking lot on December 8, 2009, my 2003 Camry accelerated, jumped the curb, ran up an embankment and hit a tree. I took it to the dealer, who test drove it and found no problem. Please extend the recall to 2003 Camry.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 102010

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. While driving in reverse out of her driveway at speeds of under 5 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated forward without driver intent. The vehicle began to spin in a circular motion and proceeded to crash into a vehicle. The engine exhibited a loud revving noise while accelerating. The vehicle did not stop until finally crashing into a tree. Upon impact, there was a tire blowout, exact location unknown. A police report was filed. The contact suffered minor injuries from the crash. The failure and current mileages were 47,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 152010

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 2 mph into the garage, when the vehicle accelerated and crashed into the garage wall. The contact states that smoke was coming from the tires. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic and testing. The dealer drove the vehicle around and found no problem with the accelerator. The front bumper of the vehicle was damaged.the contact sustained injuries as a result of the crash. The approximate failure and current mileages was 6300. Updated 04/20/2010. Updated 07/13/10.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 182009

I own a 2003 Toyota Camry that experienced the same unexplainable acceleration being aired on television newscasts only a couple of months ago. As I was driving in front of a popular shopping area my car accelerated at an alarming speed. It felt like a jet. I quickly attempted to press on my foot brake and even tried the hand brake. The car ceased to stop. The car crossed a major intersection and dangerously entered a busy parking lot at a popular mall. I was barely able to Dodge pedestrians, moving and parked cars until I turned suddenly and crashed into the median that divided the parking rows in the parking lot. On-lookers came to check on me and spoke of how the back tires were smoking because my car was going so fast. Shaken up, my passenger and I called family members who rushed to the scene and proceeded to call a tow company because the vehicle was clearly not capable of being driven. The front wheel axle was bent, and there was much damage to the front right wheel area due to the angle of the crash. Thankfully, neither my passenger nor I were injured, but very shaken up. Once the car was towed to a nearby service center, they were able to surmise that the car was a bit mangled and required parts not readily available in hilo, Hawaii. The estimate to repair the car exceeded $3,000. I contacted my car insurance carrier to report the incident. Nearly one month later, the car was repaired. My daughter took the car to a Toyota service center and asked them to please examine the car and evaluate whether it was safe for driving. The micro chip did not indicate anything abnormal according to the service agent.

- Honokaa, HI, USA

Oct 052004

My wife was involved in a traffic accident in her 2003 Toyota Camry on 10/05/04. While passing another vehicle she stated that the car accelerated and that she could not get it to stop. The traffic accident report quotes her as saying "she had no control of the vehicle, and said there was something wrong with the vehicle mechanically. The dealership repaired the damage to the vehicle but I do not find any indication that the problem of the accelerator was addressed. We would like to know what course of action we should take.

- Bowdoin, ME, USA

Mar 012009

Contact owned a 2003 Toyota Camry. The contact stated she had several problems with this vehicle when she had it. She almost ran threw her window when the vehicle was in park. She no longer has the vehicle but thought that filing a complaint was the right thing to do. The failure mileage 70,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 162009

I have experienced several incidents of sudden acceleration in my 2003 Toyota Camry. I took it into a Toyota dealer when it first happened, but they did nothing.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Aug 042004

8/4/2000 my Toyota Camry le has sudden acceleration at oakland mall parking lot introy Michigan and I was involve in accident, tried extremely hard on brake but couldn't control the vehicle.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 152009

I pulled into my brother's driveway and was getting ready to park when my car suddenly took off as if I had the gas to the floor(which I didn't). I crashed into my brother's truck knocking it into his house, still couldn't stop the car, it acted like it was going to climb his truck. It then veered to the left and side swiped his other vehicle. When I finally got it stopped, I had both feet on the brake and the engine was still revving and trying to go. I finally got it stopped where I could turn it off with the key. The damage to my car was nearly $14,000 plus the damage to my brother's property.

- West Liberty, KY, USA

Mar 012004

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately between 55-65 mph on normal road conditions. The transmission began to jerk excessively. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on four separate occasions for the identical failures with replacement of the transmissions. The four transmissions failed within 45,000 miles. When at a complete stop the vehicle surged forward unexpectedly. Also, during braking there was a delayed response. The authorized dealer was unable to duplicate the failures. The failure mileage was 10,000. The current mileage was 45,000.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 142009

Driver/owner of 2003 Toyota Camry in garage. Placed veh. In reverse and experienced sudden unintended acceleration, causing driver to zoom across street and crash into a tree, sustaining serious personal injuries including but not limited to neurological injuries, partial paralysis, hematoma, fractured vertebrae in upper thoracic area, spine damage, rectum/colon damage and injuries, requiring driver to wear diapers and be fed through feeding tube. Passenger sustained chipped tooth, whiplash, and other injuries.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

May 012007

2003 Toyota Camry, sudden unintended acceleration while parking vehicle suddenly accelerated, jumped a parking block, and crashed into a tree.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 212010

Backing into parking space in front of back porch about 8 feet form porch car suddenly accelerated in reverse causing damage to car and porch.

- Newton, MA, USA

Apr 012007

I am the owner of a 2003 4 cylinder Camry. I bought the car used in August, 2006. In that year and the year after, I had 2 or 3 acceleration problems when I put my foot on the brake. I thought it was my fault due to the new plastic floor mats I had installed or was due to the fact that when I put my foot on the brake pedal, my foot extended over the end of the pedal and when I pressed down, I hit the accelerator as well. I have had no incidents since.

- Shelburne, MA, USA

Jun 152006

Camry 4-cyl

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry 4cyl, le model. On two separate occasions while the cruise/speed control was on, the car has accelerated quickly. Both times, I was able to turn the speed control off and it went back to normal. Since the warranty had run out and it has not happened since, I did not take it in to be looked at. This happened once in 2006 and once in 2007. I do not remember the exact dates (the month/day below is just a guess), but I did want to get this included in any possible problems other were having.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Oct 012009

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry. I frequently experience excessive engine acceleration when initially putting the car in drive. Also, on occasion, the brake and accelerator pedals engage at the same time, which may or may not be an operator issue. I brought the car in for repairs to Toyota service center last year but they said it involved the electronic controls and there was nothing they could do. Seems that the Toyota repair people knew about the problem already.

- Honolulu, HI, USA