Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2003 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2003 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2003 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2003 Toyota Camry fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Camry:

2003 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Aug 062013

Driving with the cruise control set to approximately 45 mph. Cars ahead were stopping, so the cruise control cancel button was pressed. Instead of the car decelerating, it quickly accelerated as if the gas pedal had been pressed to the floor. The brakes were quickly pressed, but before the car came to a stop, it hit the rear end of the car ahead. The person in the other car had a precautionary medical exam a few days later, but no injury was reported. The driver and passenger of the Camry were not injured and air bags were not deployed. The Camry was declared totaled by the insurance company. The other car was repaired.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 172014

Camry 6-cyl

I experienced unintended acceleration of my vehicle while driving slowly in a parking lot. The vehicle accelerated to a high speed and revved to very high RPM's. I managed to slam on the brakes and finally shift the controls to neutral. The car immediately returned to normal RPM's and I turned off the key. Toyota first claimed "driver error", then entrapment of the gas petal by a floor mat, then "driver error" again, alleging I had "braked incorrectly and must have hit the gas by mistake"!! I was simply low-speed driving with my foot on the gas, when their car raced suddenly on its own Accord. I had not hit the brakes until I had to emergency-stop a runaway car! dealer says they "checked the computer" and there are "no issues" to resolve! this is a blatant, lethal defect in their product!

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Aug 312014

On Sunday, August 31, 2014, at about 1:00 pm, I was leaving the church parking lot after the service at san martin de porres catholic church. I was in my 2003 Toyota Camry with my friend (name provided on request). I drove from the lower level parking to the upper level parking lot where the exit is located. I was going approximately 5-10 miles per hour. We were coasting toward the exit when all of a sudden the car revved up really loud and accelerated/sped through a short street that feeds the parking lot. A witness told me he thought the car was going about 40 miles per hour. The car continued on at a high speed on the dirt parking lot on the southwest side of the church. It was burrowing through the dirt and spewing out dirt like we were in a tornado. I steered the car along the church fence to prevent it from going into the street. After a while it crashed into the church's fence and slowed for a few seconds. (a witness reported he ran after the car to get the license plate.) then the car revved up again and spun to the left and proceeded forward a short distance and then plowed into the block wall going down to the lower parking lot. At this point, the car got stuck on the block wall and died out. The air bags did not deploy in the crash. Someone had called 911 and the ambulance, paramedics, and police arrived. They advised us to go to the emergency room for care. We did go to the er and were evaluated. My friend had muscle soreness for several days. I continue to have muscle soreness, and my wrist and right elbow were bruised and hurt. I was very concerned because someone could have been struck and killed in the parking lot if I had left right after the service. The insurance company has considered my car a complete loss.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 242012

Camry 4-cyl

On October 24, 2012, I parallel parked my 2003 Toyota Camry on the street. The car in front of me was leaving, so he asked me to move back a few inches so he could get out. My car was still running so I shifted the car into reverse, and as I began to take my foot off the brake pedal, my car accelerated backwards at a very fast speed into the car behind me. Wanting to pull up a few inches to get out and assess the damage, I shifted the car into drive and as I did, my car accelerated forwards into the parked car in front of me. It accelerated at such a high speed that it pushed the three cars in front of me together. At no point during these two rapid accelerations did I ever apply my foot to the gas pedal. This incident caused damage to several cars and could have ended up with much more severe consequences had I not been in that location.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA