Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2004 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2004 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2004 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2004 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Camry:

2004 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

May 162006

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry le. She stated while attempting to pull into a parking space at speeds just under 5 mph, she depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle proceeded to accelerate without intent. The vehicle then crashed into another parked vehicle. The police arrived to the scene and a report was filed. The vehicle was repaired through her insurance company. There were no additional failures to date and no recalls. The failure mileage was 5,590 and the current was 11,900. Updated 04/01/10. Updated 4/22/10 updated 05/06/10

- N. Ridgeville , OH, USA

Nov 212009

To whom it may concern: Without hearing the news related to Toyota vehicle recall, I have felt really stupid how I could have had the accident. Recalling the process of the accident, I might have to say it was weird. Before the crash, I clearly noticed the red light and a stopped car just in front of me on N perkins rd, close to mcelroy rd in stillwater, Oklahoma, and the distance was more than 20 meters apart at that moment. I pressed on the brake pedal as usual, but my car did not slow down until hit the car before mine, and the airbag did not pop out. My face was knocked onto the steering wheel and one of my glasses smashed, fortunately not making me blind, and two teeth in mouth were bleeding along with some scratches on my face. The car was totaled at the speed of less 40 mi/H. people love Toyota vehicles for the reason of saving gas at the sacrifice of safety. Shortly, the police and ambulance arrived. I declined any medical arrangement after being tested that my mind was under control and could make decision clearly because I was not sure whether my insurance covers the cost or not. And now, as the problem with Toyota vehicles was disclosed, I feel my accident might also be due to the same gas pedal defect. (in stillwater, Oklahoma, call: 405-372-4171 to request a report). Insurance company safeco.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Dec 302008

My mother was involved in a collision in her Toyota Camry due to unexpected acceleration. The accident happened in her driveway while she was leaving home. The car, a 2004 model, was repaired ($8,000) at a nearby Toyota dealership and recently returned. Toyota is not acknowledging a problem with their older model camries, so any repairs that were done to my mother's car were simply cosmetic. I am very concerned for my mother's safety. This is her only vehicle and she's now forced to drive a car that has demonstrated dangerous and unexpected acceleration issues. Please advise. (I am leaving her contact info, but I do not have access right now to the VIN #. she can supply that info.)

- Brewster , NY, USA

Dec 312004

With car in cruise control and coming to an uphill grade, the accelerator speeds up excessively. I am concerned that this might be symptomatic of a potential acceleration when I am not in cruise control. Incident date below is not appropriate because it occurs every time I am in cruise control.

- North Clarendon, VT, USA

Feb 012010

Almost constantly, for several years, on my 2004 Camry 4 cyl xle the gas pedal is rough. When trying to start out the pedal is difficult to depress. Then all of a sudden the car will go. It creates quite a jerk. I have removed floor mats but this does not help. It's like even though I'm pressing the gas pedal it is stuck and then goes. It happens regardless of who drives. With all the pedal issues I'm beginning to think it may be more cars than are now recalled.

- Waverly, OH, USA

Dec 152009

2004 Camry xle was parked at top of driveway which had an incline of approx 25%.when placed in reverse, the car raced backwards at high speed - too fast for any visual or physical control. Car was stopped by applying very forceful brake pressure.

- Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA

Jan 282010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 5 mph in reverse the vehicle accelerated without applying pressure to the accelerator pedal and crashed into a pole. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The contact notified the manufacturer regarding the failure; however, he has received no response. The contact is concerned since the crash could have been much worse. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Fort Atkinson, WI, USA

Feb 042010

My wife's 2004 Camry hesitates on acceleration at times. There is a brief, few-second hesitation, followed by a surge where the car suddenly lurches forward. This problem has occurred frequently whenever either of us drive the vehicle and ever since she first purchased it (used) about a year ago. We thought it may have been transmission-related, but Toyota has inspected the vehicle a couple times to no avail and has denied any problem.

- White Hall, MD, USA

Aug 072009

Sudden acceleration caused car loose control and crashed into guardrail. Happened in 3 lane road. Car is total loss. Tire seen blew out thinking happened due to the impact of the hit.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Oct 232007

I own a 2004 Toyota Camry. I have had two accidents in it. Both times the car failed to brake but accelerated instead. No one believed me that the accelerator peddle stuck instead of braking. My insurance paid for repair both times (except for the $500 deductibles). However, as a result my insurance carrier of 15 years dropped me and I was forced to take out insurance that cost me more than three times as much for coverage. I believe the accelerator peddle stuck but the 2004 model is not included in the call back. Do I have any grounds for pursuing this?

- Little Ferry, NJ, USA

Mar 192008

It was March 2008 and I was pulling into a parking space in front of a store (speed was not a factor as I was in the parking lot and had to stop before I pulled into the space); it was 1:00 in the afternoon (beautiful, sunny day); the car touched the curb, made a revving sound, jumped the curb and I was hitting the brake (saying "why won't it stop?") but it went into the storefront window. I was 55 at the time, never had an accident (caused by me), and a very good driving record since 16. It was not reported via the police; only the mall security because it was a parking lot. My insurance covered it (car & building). I have the repair records but no parts. I was totally dismissed by everyone when I said the car wouldn't stop, hence I doubted myself. My friend & I both had our seat belts on and no one was injured (thank god no one was walking on the sidewalk in front of the space). I asked the repair place to check my accelerator & pedal but said they found nothing wrong.

- Owens Cross Roads,, AL, USA

Nov 092007

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 5 mph into a parking space. There was pressure applied to the brake pedal, followed by an unintended acceleration and suddenly, the vehicle traveled over a curb and crashed into a building. There were no injuries. The police was called to the scene. The vehicle was towed to an auto collision shop. The vehicle was repaired at the cost of $4,298.43. In addition, the building sustained moderate damages. The contact had concern of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 8,921.

- Shiremanstown, PA, USA

Dec 082008

My husband had just pulled his 2004 Toyota Camry into a school parking lot at a slow rate of speed. He stopped with foot on the brake, and shifted into reverse as he was going to back into a parking space. Suddenly, the accelerator surged at a high rate of speed without warning and he hit the back of the school building at a great rate of force. The engine stopped but the air bag failed to deploy. Extensive damage was done to the school building ($19,000) and to his vehicle ($9000.) car had to be towed to auto body dealership. This was the first incident that the car's accelerator surged. Auto body shop repaired the body of the car, but no repair to accelerator at all. We had no explanation as to why the car accelerated at such a high rate of speed. Now that we have become aware of all the other Toyota that have had acceleration failures, we are now filing this complaint. This accident could have been much more serious, as children were coming in and out of the building from a sports event. Thankfully no one was hurt. We believe that Toyota needs to go back much further on their recalls on Toyota Camry than 2007, since clearly Toyota Camry have had this acceleration problem at least as far back as 2004, probably earlier.R

- Millersville, MD, USA

May 152009

My daughter was driving her 2004 Toyota Camry last year and the accelerator stuck and when she gave it some more gas it got stuck and accelerated and she was unable to stop the car with her brakes and she ran into a store which is how she stopped, tore the store wall down and totaled her car. The officer that responded to the scene said that his friend's car did the same thing a week previously and he also had a Toyota Camry. My daughter was totally liable for this and she and her friend sustained some scratches and bumps on the arms and forehead but did not go to the hospital because she thoughts this was all her fault and was concerned if the insurance would pay for the building! she was very upset and for several days did not drive, when she did buy a car she had to use her own money for a down payment because she did not have that car for very long. Should we look into trying to contact Toyota about this situation? there is a police and insurance report that I can obtain that states these things.

- Ennis, TX, USA

Jul 252009

On July 25, 2009, I was driving my Toyota Camry (2004), I pulled into the parking lot where I work found a spot and proceeded to park as I turned in my car took off and slammed in to a cement pillar at a very high speed, I am so thankful that I hit the pillar, because I would have gone through the plate glass window of the shoe store. It could have been a tragic accident. I believe that this happened due to the car accelerating out of control. I sent a complaint to Consumer Affairs and Toyota Corp. On July 27th, 2009 with no response, now all of this is coming out. My car was repaired, at a cost of $6439.57. My insurance has increased by about 40%, I now have a car I do not feel safe driving, and I can't sell it, because of the problems with Toyota. I would like some help, answers to what Toyota really is doing to help?

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 102004

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. While exiting a parking garage at speeds of 5 mph, the vehicle accelerator pedal became stuck in position. She contacted her local Toyota dealer and they advised her that it would be safe for her to drive the vehicle home. The contact was able to drive home within three hours, a drive that usually would have taken her 25 minutes, as advised by her dealer. The vehicle was later towed to the dealer where they made repairs unknown to her. The failure and current mileages were 30,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 302009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry which was purchased brand new. While exiting her driveway at speeds of less than 5 mph, she proceeded to depress the brakes due to a decline in the driveway. She was aware that her foot was on the brake pedal; however, the vehicle continued to accelerate into oncoming two-way traffic at no fault of the driver and at an unknown speed. She proceeded over an embankment and crashed into a tree to avoid crashing into a vehicle or pedestrian. The air bags did not deploy at the time of the crash. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The vehicle was towed from the scene and is awaiting repairs. The failure and current mileages were under 34,000. The VIN was not available.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Aug 042009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. While traveling at speeds of 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated to speeds of 100 mph. The contact assumed she was at fault. On a separate occasion, the incident occurred again. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who released the vehicle advising her that the failure could not be duplicated. Later, she was told that the floor mats were probably what caused the acceleration, however she did not have floor mats in the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that her particular vehicle was not under recall. The contact was not in agreement with the manufacturer and a second dealer diagnosed the failure and confirmed that it could not be duplicated. On another occasion, while the driver was at a stop light, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The contact was not in the vehicle and could provide additional details regarding the most recent failure. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 35,493 and the current was 38,089.

- Huntington , NJ, USA

Jul 092009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. While driving 10 mph into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated and crashed into a pole. There was minor damage to the front of the vehicle. The contact was not injured. The contact did not call the manufacturer or a dealer. The contact stated that the crash occurred due to the accelerator pedal being stuck. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Nov 232007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. The contact stated he was parking and all of a sudden the vehicle accelerated in to a building. Contact stated he depress the brakes but the vehicle never stop. The vehicle was totaled. There were no injuries. There is a police report if needed. The contact had not called the manufacture. The failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 11/03/10. Updated 11/04/10

- Norwood, MA, USA