CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2004 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2004 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2004 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2004 Toyota Camry fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Camry:

2004 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jun 232015

Camry

I was driving down the road from my home when my car stopped working. It died on me. It just stopped working completely without any notice whatsoever. I was able to maintain control of the steering wheel and I pulled over to the side of the road. At the time I was driving approximately 45 miles an hour (when the car engine stopped working). I turned the key in the ignition to the off position. When I turned the key in the ignition to start the car, the car started up immediately.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Mar 052015

Camry 6-cyl

I went to a local store to shop. I was attempting to park in the store lot, saw a space close to the front of the store. I slowed down to start turning (maybe 5-10 mph) into the parking space and when I tried to brake, my brake pedal went straight to the floor and the car started speeding up. It kept going like someone else had control of the car! I couldn't stop it and it ran into a car that was parked in front of the space. It pushed the other car completely out of the parking spot and rammed her car in the front area. We both suffered vehicle damage and I was charged. There was smoke coming out from under my car and as I was attempting to stop my runaway car, my foot slipped onto the accelerator. I thought maybe my brakes had given out but the officer said the brakes were not bad. There were skid marks showing I tried to stop and I was able to drive it home, very slowly. I was so scared!! I remember seeing a segment on tv about Toyota having problems regarding sudden acceleration in some of their cars.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Feb 252015

Camry

Car accelerated by itself when parking and wound up on sidewalk. Could not brake. Car was put in park while moving and then stopped while still applying brakes.

- Bayonne , NJ, USA

Jul 122013

Camry 4-cyl

Throttle body failure, engine shuts down, will restart in limp mode. Corroded defective throttle body. New part on order from Toyota. $900 repair. This also happened in 2007 an $850 repair. I called Toyota in 2007 and again this time. Toyota refuses to provide new throttle body or pay for repair. I assert this is a design and safety problem that Toyota should repair or recall at no charge. I purchased car new and have been a loyal Toyota customer. Purchased four new Toyota cars since 2002. Why would I purchase another car from Toyota?

- Bucyrus, OH, USA

Mar 242013

Camry 4-cyl

I had slowed down to turn into side road, foot was off gas and it accelerated. I immediately put on brakes and it corrected the problem. This is about the 3rd time it has happened. The first time it happened fast and I thought it was me. The next time same thing so I have been aware to watch and notice. Today it happened again and I know for sure it has a problem in accelerating. Sometimes it cuts off when first cranks like not getting enough gas. I have had Toyota for years but now getting leary

- Monroe, NC, USA

Feb 062013

Camry

I was driving and without warning the gas petal was no longer working. Then the check engine light came on. Fortunately I was on a side street and was able to pull over. Got it towed and was told that the throttle body was broken and it was a pretty common problem for Camry's.

- Atlanta, GA, USA