CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Aug 152007

Camry

Sometimes when I'm driving down the road in my 2005 Toyota Camry, it surges with gas even when I do not have the cruise on or am not pushing the gas pedal. I have had one wreck because of it and would like to know how to go about finding the problem. Thanks.

- Paragould, AR, USA

Sep 142007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While driving 2 mph, the vehicle surged forward without warning while the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle crashed into a wall. A police report was filed. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The current and failure mileages were 24,000.

- Trevose, PA, USA

May 302007

Camry

2005 Toyota Camry surging forward without warning. Customer states he was involved in an accident when the vehicle surged forward without warning.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Aug 192007

Camry 4-cyl

Unintended acceleration occurred while operating at slow speed resulting in a collision with parked vehicles and deployment of airbag. My wife is the primary driver of the vehicle and has complained on at least two previous occasions that, while parking, the anti-lock braking system activated and the car accelerated with her foot on the brake pedal. This occurred while traveling at approximately 5 to 10 mph in a right turn. On one other occasion she stated that the brakes would not stop the car and the engine speeded up as she was braked for an intersection ? again she stated that the anti-lock brakes activated reducing braking effectiveness and allowing the engine to accelerate the car. I test drove the car each time and found that it operated normally. These events have occurred during the 2 years we have owned the car. The acceleration during the last event was stronger and resulted in a crash. My wife has a good driving record, knows if she is depressing gas pedal instead of the brake pedal, and the floor mat was not a factor. The 2005 Toyota Camry was new when we purchased it. The car has is located at a local auto body shop for repair.

- Guntersville, AL, USA

May 012007

Camry

2005 Camry customer states that he felt surges from driving the car** the consumer stated whenever she slows down and accelerate, or change lanes the vehicle throws her back and forth at times.

- Mill Valley, CA, USA

Mar 272007

Camry 4-cyl

The 2005 Toyota Camry with just over 40,000 miles on it all of a suddend died while I was driving on the road. I was forced to put the vehicle in park and restart it. This occured every time I accelerated after the initial incident. I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership, and they reported that the throttle body and actuator were stuck. I had oil changed as the manufacturer recommended, and felt that this was a problem that a two year old car should not be having. I was forced to replace the throttle body and actuator at my own expense as thewarranty expired approximately 5,000 miles prior to this incident.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Oct 012006

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when he depresses the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerates instead of stopping. The contact has to remove his foot from the brake pedal in order to stop the acceleration. The failure caused the vehicle to crash into another vehicle on May 7, 2007. The police stated that since the crash occurred on private property, there was no need to file a police report. The manufacturer has not been notified. The contact was referred to NHTSA by the repair shop. The engine size was unknown. The consumer provided pictures of the damaged vehicle. Updated 06/08/07

- North West, DC, USA

Sep 072006

Camry 4-cyl

Sudden acceleration caused over $8000 damage in 17 feet. I put car in reverse and it started revving up. Then the car took off backwards and hit a tree, immediately after hitting tree the car lurched forward and hit another tree twice.

- Lewisville, NC, USA

Sep 112006

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving slowly through a parking lot to locate a parking space. As I approached a space, I had my foot on the brake. I eased off of the brake to coast into the parking space and was making a right turn into the space. Suddenly the vehicle surged forward without my foot being on the accelerator. I applied the brake, but the vehicle continued to move forward. My car went over a concrete median, and into a lane of traffic. My car struck two cars. It hit one of the vehicles, an SUV, with such force that it knocked the SUV up over a curb into a grassy area. Though I had both feet applying the brakes as hard as I could, the vehicle would not stop, and there was not time for me to think to turn off the ignition. My car sustained severe damage to the right and left sides and to the front. It damaged the front of the SUV and the rear of the other car. There was a passenger in each of the vehicle, and I was the only occupant of my vehicle. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries. I had my car towed to the Toyota dealership. I requested a factory representative inspect the car. They could not determine a cause for the sudden acceleration. The representatives were quite helpful until the inspection was complete. I requested a copy of the report of their findings; however, Toyota corporation will not allow me to see a copy of the report. They said I could contact their legal department or get a subpoena. The customer relations representative at the dealership suggested I file a claim for arbitration, but the national center for dispute settlement states that because the car was wrecked, I do not qualify for arbitration. Meanwhile, I am left with a vehicle that I am afraid to drive.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Dec 232006

Camry 4-cyl

On Dec. 23, 2006, around 11:20 am, I was driving at about 5 mph in a parking lot. As I made a slight turn to the left to straighten out, the car suddenly accelerated and hit a parked car. The brakes did not work, even when floored. The car would not stop until it pushed another car up onto the sidewalk and its wheels bumped up against the curb. The car was eventually stopped by turning off the engine using the key in the ignition. (taking my foot off the brake pedal seemed to make it go faster.) the weather was sunny, but the car had been parked outside in the rain the two previous days. I had not used the cruise control anytime recently before the incident. We have not had any problems with this car, although occasionally, the radio turn has turned itself on while we were driving.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Nov 052006

Camry 4-cyl

I was slowly turning right to park in front of a store with my foot on the brakes preparing to stop when my 2005 Camry accelerated, jumped the curb and crashed into a storefront window.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Nov 212006

Camry 6-cyl

We were parked at the entrance to hammond elementary school, laurel, md waiting to pick up two children a few minutes before dismissal. No school busses were present at the time we parked. Several buses soon arrived, however, which prompted our decision to move to a better place away from the buses. I cautiously started to back up and, to my amazement, the engine raced at high RPM as soon as I shifted into reverse from park. Although I was pressing on the brake, the car zoomed back about 20-35 feet. The left rear corner of my car struck the left front corner of a parked school bus. At this time, still in shock, I quickly pulled the shift lever from reverse to drive, intending to get away from the bus. At that moment the car then shot forward, my foot still pressing on the brake. It went back through the parking space, over the curb, and into a playground. About 60 feet into the playground the right front wheel hit the corner of a square wooden border surrounding some playground equipment. After striking the wooden barrier, the car continued at high speed in the grassy playground probably another 100 feet before I could get it out of drive into neutral and park. This whole episode happened within a few seconds. My foot was always pressing on the brake. The auto was towed to true2form collision center in laurel, md. The repairs have been held up until an inspection has been made by NHTSA. Geico informed me today, 11/30/06, that an attorney for the driver of the school bus is claiming injury. To my knowledge he mentioned no problem to the emt personnel at the time of the accident. If the accident had occurred while children were present, it could have resulted in many injuries/deaths.

- Adelphi, MD, USA

Nov 292006

Camry 4-cyl

This may be a repeat complaint because I filled this out earlier but my computer crashed. My mother and sister had a minor accident today (11/29/2006, 12:10 P.M.)in which our 2005 Toyota Camry surged forward from it's parking space where my mother had pulled in into the opposite parking space and into a parked Ford Explorer SUV, knocking off the Explorer's front license plate completely onto the ground. My sister said she looked down to see if my mother's foot was on the accelerator and it was not, it was on the brake pedal. She heard my mother say "I can't stop!" as she stood on the brake pedal. The car surged forward into the parked Explorer on it's own acceleration. We had a Toyota in the early 1980's and had this exact problem resulting in another crash. This has been a problem for Toyota's since then. Toyota should have fixed this problem over the last 20+ years. Back then there was no internet to fill out immediately after the crash to complain.

- Riverside , CA, USA

Oct 012006

Camry 4-cyl

I pulled into a parking lot to park. While still having my foot on the brake, I was just beginning to put my car into park when the car just suddenly lunged forward. I couldn't stop the car. As hard as I braked, I couldn't stop the car. I hit a truck in front of me, proceeded though the parking lot in the midst of a lot of pedestrians who were exiting the function, miraculously missing the pedestrians. I proceeded through the parking lot and out of the parking lot and across the street and then on across the street onto a lawn. I took down a mail box and proceeded back into the street again. Still going forward rapidly, I hit another parked truck and then a wall before the car finally stopped.

- Tiverton, RI, USA

Aug 292006

Camry

2005 Toyota Camry lurched forward on occasions causing damage to the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy during accident. While parking, on two separate occasions, the vehicle lurched forward while the consumer was pulling into a parting space.. each time the consumer S foot was on the brake pedal preparing to stop. During the second occurrence the consumer's husband heard the engine rev from near idle speed to very high RPM's, at or close to the maximum RPM. The vehicle hit a tree.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jul 312006

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated upon initial acceleration at low speeds on a city street, the vehicle lurched forward striking another vehicle in the rear end. During the sudden acceleration, the vehicle did not respond to firm brake pressure. There were no injuries but minor damage was sustained to the vehicle. The police was not contacted and no report was taken. The vehicle was not inspected, but both the dealer and manufacturer were contacted. The vehicle was inspected on 8-17-06 by a Toyota representative, however he refused to acknowledge there was a problem with the accelerator. Updated 09/05/06.

- New York, NY, USA

Sep 282004

Camry 4-cyl

While stopped at an intersection, the engine suddenly and unexpectedly began to rev uncontrollably without any input from me. Due to the high revolutions of the engine the brakes were incapable of prventing the car from moving forward even though the brake petal was fully depressed. The only way to prevent my car from hitting the car in front of me was to shut off the engine. Two subsequent attempts to re-start the engine resulted in a repeat of the over-revving situation. Only after the third attempt did the engine resume normal operation. A passenger in the car at the time verified that the accelerator was not engaged at any time during the incident. The car was immediately driven to the dealer who inspected it and found no fault with the etc system and no stored codes that would verify my complaint. The car was subsequently returned to us and was driven without incident for the next nineteen months before the problem once again presented itself. As we were pulling into a parking space while my foot was on the brake petal the engine once again began to over-rev without any input from me. Again, the passenger in the car who had witnessed the first incident immediately looked to see if the accelerator was accidentally being depressed. It was not. Again, the only means of preventing my car from striking the vehicle in front of me was to shut off the engine.

- Sugar Grove, IL, USA

Feb 242006

Camry 4-cyl

I was slowly turning left into a parking space at about 3:30 P.M., when my 2005 Toyota Camry suddenly, and quite rapidly, accelerated without any input from me. It jumped a curb, crossed a sidewalk, and a tree stopped the car. It felt like I had no control of the car. Also, the steering was extremely difficult. Somehow, I managed to steer the car away from the apartment building and my neighbor glass slider. The car traveled about 30 plus feet in its acceleration, when a tree stopped it. It left about 20 feet of skid marks. I was not hurt in the crash. The car sustained damage, mainly to the front bumper, coolant system, and hood, for approximately $5,400. I filed a complaint with Toyota corporation, torrance, California, and they investigated the car. They reported they could find nothing wrong with the car, and there were no design faults. The Toyota dealer where I had bought the Camry additionally tested the car computers, and also called in a Toyota factory representative to test the car. They could find nothing wrong with the car. I sold the Camry back to this dealer. The car had about 5,400 miles on it at the time of the crash. The car had been running well until this sudden, unexplained acceleration that resulted in a crash.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Mar 072005

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated while parking the vehicle surged forward while his foot was on the brake. The vehicle went over a sidewalk, pushed over a sign and hit a fence, however no one was injured. The vehicle sustained damage to the front bumper. The vehicle was towed to the dealership for inspection; however no repairs have been made. The manufacturer was not alerted. Updated 03/22/06.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Dec 272005

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated while attempting to pull in a parking space at 2 mph, the vehicle surged and suddenly accelerated without warning. The brake pedal was depressed at the time of the incident. The vehicle went through an intersection and over a public sidewalk before crashing into a fire hydrant. The contact and passenger were wearing safety restraints. The vehicle impacted the fire hydrant with such force that the fire hydrant was extracted 3 feet above ground. The vehicle was towed to the local dealership were diagnostic testing was performed. The local service dealer could not determine the cause of the accident; however the dealer additional testing will be performed before the vehicle is repaired. The police filed a report at the scene and the contact's insurance company also filed a report. There was additional property damage to the sidewalk, fire hydrant and a children's museum that was flooded by the water from the fire hydrant. Updated 2/27/2006 - the air bags also failed to deploy.

- Godfrey, IL, USA