Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Sep 192006

Because the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal on my 2005 Camry le are close to each other and engage at the same level, it is all too easy for a foot to overlap the brake pedal and depress the accelerator and brake at the same time. Unless I am unusually vigilant about my foot position, this can happen, and the car accelerates instead of braking. This has happened often, both in city and highway driving. My mechanic has tried his best to raise the level of the brake pedal engagement, but without success; there is no brake adjustment on this model. My Toyota dealer says, too, that there is no adjustment possible and refuses to modify the brake pedal to raise it above the accelerator level. This is a design problem, but it occurs to me that at least some of the incidents of inadvertent acceleration may be due to this fault. If the car accelerates while you are braking, one instinctively presses harder on the brake pedal, which also further depresses the accelerator pedal. This has not resulted in an accident in my case. It seems like the simple addition of a thicker pad on the brake pedal might correct the defect.

- Garrett Park, MD, USA

Feb 022010

2005 Toyota Camry with 3.0L V6 engine. I recently braked my Toyota Camry on the street next to my house, parallel to the curbing. Then, I put the vehicle in reverse, made a 180 degree turn and backed between the two large bushes on either side of my driveway. I must back very slowly into the opening. After I had the vehicle between the 2 bushes at the top of the driveway, I braked the vehicle, still in reverse, so that I could straighten out and proceed slowly to park next to my husband's truck at the end of the driveway. Suddenly, the vehicle jolted and I found myself practically flying backwards. The vehicle went back about 25 feet, then took out our fence, and half of our 6 foot trellis. However, it did not stop there. It practically flew into our next door neighbor's yard, did a 180 behind the neighbor's house, finally stopping at the bottom of a hill in some snow two doors down from my house. During this time, I had no control over the vehicle. Because of the recent Toyota recalls, I thought I had programmed myself as to what to do, if my vehicle went out of control. However, going in reverse at a high speed is something different. It completely disoriented me, so that I did not drop the vehicle into nuetral or turn off the key. I have been backing into my driveway the same way for 45 years, and never experienced any problem because I do so at such a slow pace. My vehicle must have gone about 150 feet before stopping, and I felt like it was possessed. Fortunately, no one was injured, but there is $5,000 worth of damage to my vehicle. After reading about similar experiences on your site, I truly feel the 2005 Camry should be included in the recall. I do not feel that I could trust it again.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Feb 052010

Constant "jumping" at stoplights. I always have to check to see if someone has bumped into me from behind. This has been an ongoing problem since I purchased the car in 2005.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 222005

I own a 2005 Toyota Camry xle V6, purchased from koons tysons Toyota, va in August 2004. While driving home the car gave me a feeling of an imminent stall as I would press the gas pedal from a dead stop, after coasting and upon trying to accelerate to change lanes. I had an occasion to go back to the dealer to pick up some accessories that I was missing initially. I brought my driving experience to the attention of the salesperson who in turn asked a service technician. The explanation I was given was that ┐this year model car does not have a linkage cable but a sensor at the gas pedal; upon depressing the pedal, it sends a signal to the computer and the computer does all the rest, hence the hesitation is normal┐. the driving experience has been the same for my wife and son. They are scared to drive this car! in January 2005 the car was at laurel Toyota in laurel, md for oil service and I mentioned my concern to the service advisor who in turn got me a similar explanation as stated above from his technician. I subsequently called Toyota national customer relations who told me that someone will call me from koons tysons Toyota and they gave me case #. I had a call from Mr. A representative from the dealership and he asked me to bring the car in today at 10 a.M. to be seen by his technician. The car was test driven by Mr. Melvin beavers who agreed with me that there is hesitation as you press the gas pedal and he offered that other owners of the same year model car have complained of this problem as well. His explanation however was the same regarding the redesign that eliminated the accelerator linkage cable and that the behavior is typical and normal for this year's model? this is dangerous and unacceptable behavior of the car in case of a lane change or any other sudden acceleration siituation! I would like Toyota motor sales, usa to address and remedy this extremely dangerous design flaw.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jul 222009

Accelerator stuck and car advanced. Significant damaged avoided by swerving auto to miss house & go through landscaping. Car taken into repair shop next day & nothing found. Contacted Toyota & no help at that time. Therefore, no corrective action. Rugs were not an issue. This year & model is not part of the recall but I believe it should be.

- No Easton, MA, USA

Dec 012008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle was began coasting although the engine was running the vehicle responded normally when the accelerator pedal was engaged. When he attempted to stop the vehicle, he noticed the hesitation and suddenly the vehicle would accelerate rapidly. The failure occurred three times at a traffic light. A local mechanic stated that the throttle position sensor was out of range and needed to be replaced. The sensor was replace at the owners expense. Since the vehicle was repaired there was minimal hesitation when the vehicle is driven at low speeds. He has not called the manufacturer. The current mileage was approximately 33,000. The failure mileage was 29,363.

- Banning, CA, USA

Nov 192009

The contact has a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that they have experienced the acceleration problem since the vehicle was purchased. The caller stated that the acceleration problem was not bad until the surge they had on November 19, 2009. The vehicle surge forward and the contact crashed into another car. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Towaco, NJ, USA

Aug 302009

On August 30, 2009, I was backing out of my daughter's driveway, when the car suddenly accelerated. I was unable to stop the vehicle with the brakes. The car swerved onto my daughter's front lawn and propelled itself onto her neighbor's lawn, where it wedged between 2 tress. The tires continued to spin when I was wedged and someone leaned into the car and turned the ignition off. I have witnesses to the accident. The car was repaired at Suburban Toyota-Scion in troy, mi. This car is a 2005 Toyota Camry.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Jun 202009

I had pulled my 2005 Camry xle into my garage stall and was at a complete stop. I let off the brake to inch forward another inch or two when all of a sudden my vehicle had a high power surge. The vehicle sounded like the rpms went to the max immediately, my car took off at full power and accelerated at a high speed into my garage wall. I slammed on the brake as hard as I possibly could, prior to hitting the garage wall. The garage wall was forced off the foundation by the impact and at that point my car stopped. This has only happened once, I had no idea how to explain to the insurance company what had happened since I was in complete shock and really had no good explanation for the insurance company how my car accelerated on it's own. My vehicle had auto body damage as well as property damage to my home. I did not contact Toyota at this time, searched the internet to find other 2005 Camry owners that have experienced the same situation, so I asked the insurance company if they have heard of this happening to others and they indicated yes. I had a witness in the garage who was thankfully not standing in front of my vehicle when it accelerated. The witness also heard the massive power surge of the vehicle.

- Hastings, MN, USA

Jan 212006

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While driving 25 mph with his foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated on its own between 70 and 80 mph. He then applied a lot of pressure to the brake pedal which only functioned when the contact shifted into neutral gear. The dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle since they could not duplicate the failure which occurred approximately 10 times. Previously the cruise control was repaired when the failure occurred. The failure mileage was 5311 and the current mileage was 21825. Updated 3/16/10 the consumer stated on one occasion, he struck a curb and caused damage to the vehicle. Updated 07/27/10

- Alburn , NY, USA

Jan 232010

While I was pulling into a parking space in a parking deck, my 2005 Camry crashed into the wall at the end of the space because of sudden or unintended acceleration. Extensive damage was done to the bumper and hood, but there were no injuries to me or my passenger. This happened in arlington, va on 1/23/10.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 102009

A friend was driving my grandfathers 2005 Toyota Camry. She shifted into reverse the accelerator stuck. The car went backwards and smashed into a parked rv. They were both injured. This concerns me because the accident has all the signs of the gas pedal recall problems that currently affect Toyota models, yet the 2005 Camry is not included in the recall.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 212008

Camry 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Toyota Camry xle- 6 cylinder, new in fall of 2004. At present I have under 22,000 miles on it. During my limited driving of this vehicle I have experienced at least 5 episodes of unintended acceleration. I recently discovered that another family member had a similar experience while driving my car. The last experience happened on 12/16/09. I had a passenger in the car with me at the time. Each episode is more violent than previous ones. I have had the car looked at thoroughly by the local Toyota dealer. The first time they looked at it was July 6/09. Since they cannot "make it happen" they said, they don't know how to fix it. Since Toyota announced problems I have called them on 2 occasions and have 2 case numbers assigned. The car was last examined by the dealer on 12/22/09. I was told to wait until the recall was official and see if 2005 Camry were added to the list. They have not been. The car is setting in my garage and hasn't been driven since 12/22/09. I hate to think what might have happened had I driven this car as much as I did my previous Camry, a 1994 with well over 200,000 miles at present.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Aug 272005

I had my new 2005 Camry into the dealership (longo Toyota, el monte, ca) three times in the first month after I purchased it. I explained that there was a major surge in acceleration while breaking. I also had problems with my car "jumping" forward while at a complete stop, and another issue with a lag in acceleration. All three of these issues have happened more times than I can count. There have been many times that I haven't been able to accelerate at first, only to find myself trying to brake (and not succeeding) as soon as the accelerator kicks in seconds later, sending the car surging forward. I've taken the car in to the dealership, and each time I was told that there was no problem - that whatever my issue might be, it could not"T be replicated, and that any ?timing? concern was only the electronic throttle ? and that this was completely normal. The issues with the Camry"S acceleration & electronic throttle are incredibly dangerous, and were almost the cause of a major accident (my 3 year old son was in the car at the time), and countless other minor near-accidents. I am a safe, 33 year old female driver with 17 years of driving-experience, and only one accident on my record (a man rear-ended me on the freeway in 2003). Toyota is such a popular brand, and if there are other Camry owners, then none of us are safe. How many people have to be injured or die before Toyota owns up to their mistake? I continue to see recalls for other Toyota cars, and hope beyond hope that one day my 2005 Camry SE will also be recalled.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Nov 152009

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The vehicle was in parking lot. The contact started the ignition and placed the gear shifter into the "reverse" position and suddenly, there was an aggressive and forceful acceleration while in the reverse position. The vehicle failed to slow down. The vehicle struck two pedestrians. The vehicle continued to travel and crashed into a cement planter and building store front. The driver sustained no personal injury. The police and ambulance were called to the scene. The vehicle was towed to a collision center. The cause of failure has not been determined at this time. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Atalnta , GA, USA

Oct 122008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 55 mph on normal road conditions and applying pressure to the accelerator pedal, followed by an increase in acceleration the RPM's increased excessively. There were several attempts made before the vehicle slowed down. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for inspection. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Brownsville , PA, USA

Jan 232010

The contact owned a 2005 Toyota Camry. Immediately after the vehicle was turned on, it began to idle and after he put the vehicle in drive the vehicle accelerated to speeds of over 55 mph. The contact attempted to gain control of the steering wheel and depressed the brake pedal as hard as he could to no avail. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle until he crashed into a tree. A police report was filed. The contact sustained minor injuries to his knees and arms. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were under 68,000.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

May 152009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph into a parking space. There was pressure applied to the brake pedal. The vehicle failed to slow down and crashed into a building. There were no personal injuries. The vehicle was towed a collision center and repaired for the body damages at the cost of $4,000. In addition, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection; however, the cause of failure has not been determined at this time. The failure mileage was 34,000. Updated 02/23/10. Updated 08/11/10

- Holyoke , MA, USA

Oct 162009

I bought used 2005 Toyota Camry for my 16 year old daughter. While we were training her, the car accelerated quickly for about 2 seconds as if someone floored it. I yelled at my daughter because I thought she was goofing around but she protested she did not move the accelerator. I subsequently found out this happened to my wife while she was training her. This happened twice over a 6 month period. Other than that the car runs normally. I did not think much of it until I started hearing about the crashes due to uncontrolled acceleration. I have three other 2001 Camry's and never had a problem like this. There was nothing obstructing the gas pedal. I have decided to take it to the dealer this week. I guarantee you there is something intermittent electronic causing this.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Oct 162008

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While parking, the vehicle accelerated with her foot on the brake pedal and hit a brick wall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The front of the vehicle was damaged and it was repaired. The failure has occurred three times. The failure mileage was 36795 and the current mileage was 49007. Updated 02/23/10. The consumer stated she experienced three sudden acceleration accidents in which all three resulted in crashes and property damage. Updated 08/11/10

- Houston , TX, USA