Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jul 182016

On Monday July 18th 2016 at approximately 1:30 P.M. I pulled my 2005 Toyota Camry into the parking lot handicap spot at bagger dave's located 50570 gratiot, chesterfield Michigan 48051. As I was preparing to put the vehicle in park the vehicle suddenly accelerated forward very hard and very fast I attempted to apply the brakes three separate times and the car was still moving forward at the same rate on the fourth try I use both feet to press on the brakes very hard jamming the brake pedal into the floor rendering my body into a 180 degree angle position stretched out completely with an arched back. I am only 5 ft 1 in tall. I waited then I put the car in park at that time and just sat in the vehicle. Upset crying shocked fearful I looked to my right and there were three witnesses a woman and her two daughters entering the restaurant and standing approximately 5 feet from a vehicle. They witnessed the entire incident from that close vantage point offered assistance helping me out of the vehicle the manager came out of the building call the police. The chesterfield police department arrived on scene and completed accident reports and complaint number 2016 - 13942 dated 7/18/16. The property damage was flower beds shrubberies and small trees. On my vehicle as far as I could see when the car was bad from the dirt back on to the cement something was hanging from underneath my car it appeared to be some long metal object which came off my car upon driving a vehicle home very slowly with my hazards on about 5 miles an hour I noticed the wheels front wheels are squeaking and somewhat difficult to turn left or right the vehicle is sitting in my driveway and has not been moved. Witness sarah store manager, 5867651531 chesterfield police dept. Chesterfield mi 48051 macomb county accident complaint # 2016-13942 officer ogden

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Jul 012015

The car hesitate during acceleration. After applying brakes, when you are trying to gain speed, you notice is significantly. No check engine light though.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 012005

Got a brand new 2005 Camry. There is damaged or faulty front right tire joint / tire connecting rod. Noise can be heard from day 1 but Toyota car dealer not willing to fix or repair. Still hear the noise. Very dangerous - please look into this asap!!

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

May 072014

While the car was in park, before turning off, it accelerated rapidly out of control. Driver was not immediately able to stop. A concrete slab and fence were crashed by the out of control automobile.

- Leonia, NJ, USA

Mar 282010

In 2006 I reported of sudden acceleration in my 2005 Toyota Camry. Since then I have had several occurences where my car has lunge into sudden acceleration. The lastest time was on 3/28/10 on I-275 West heading to lawrenceburg Indiana. I was driving about 60 -65 mph when my 2005 Camry sudden accelerated to about 80 mph, but my putting on the brakes allowed me to get back the control of the vehicle. Other times were vaguely remember but here's the ones that come to mind, 3/12/10, 2/10, 10/09, 8/09, there have been other times but because I went through so much with Toyota regional office that to avoid stessing out like Toyota did to me in 2006, I just didn't report it. In fear of having to go up against this big corporation again and they deny that there is even a problem with the accelerated pedal I left the reporting alone. It's very stressful going through all of this only to be told that there's no problem with the car.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 072010

While attempting to park in the parking space in front of a building, the vehicle (2005 Toyota Camry sl) accelerated on its own, jumping the curb, crashing into the railing and the building wall. Police impounded vehicle as it was unsafe. In the seconds prior to the crash, my foot was off the accelerator and I was in the process of braking because I was entering the parking space in the lot. Vehicle is now at a body shop awaiting to be fixed but not before this is reported to Toyota.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Feb 082008

While driving my camryle 2005 into the aptos post office parking area, I approached a parking spot and the car jumped the curb, hit a small light post and stopped in the soft wet dirt planting area. The post office personnel took a report and picture and I was pulled out by aaa. I had some of my car damage repaired a few months later, not knowing what the reason of the malfunction was.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Apr 012008

I had trouble with my 2005 Toyota Camry while stopped at a light when all of a sudden it the engine started racing and it wanted to lunge forward. I keep my foot on the brake very hard, put it in park and kept it in place. I hit the accelator several times and was afraid to put it back in to drive when the light changed. Luckily iit was ok then. I am not sure if it was 2007 or 2008 and not sure of month and date but this form insists you put one in so I put in any date. I really don't remember the time frame. I happened shortly after having the car in for service and the rpms seem high when not accelerating.

- Mt. Prospect, IL, USA

Jul 122009

I own a 2005 Toyota Camry SE, I was driving on the highway at 70 mph, from Chicago to joplin mo, as I came to the ramp to exit the highway, I put my foot on the brake pedal and started to brake, the car accelerated and wouldn't brake. I had to hit the brake pedal several times before the car finally stopped accelerating. It was a very short winding ramp and I needed to slow down quickly- my family assumed it was me. It happened last summer and it was raining at the time. I was able to avoid an accident but I know it wasn't me, and my car is not on the recall list for a repair- that scares me. That was the only incident with my vehicle.

- Fairland, OK, USA

Dec 062008

While slowly pulling into a parking space and with my foot resting on the brake, the engine suddenly revved and the car bolted forward of its own Accord. Despite efforts to brake hard, the car would not cease to move forward and hit a pole. Not until the car was put in reverse and backed out of the pole did the engine stop. There was no confusion during this incident of which pedal was being pushed. As I was already half into the space and had started to decelerate, my foot was on the brake, not the accelerator. Also, a quick check after the incident to ensure that it was indeed the brake that I was pushing proved to be accurate. I have been driving nearly twenty years with no at-fault accidents and a clean driving record. I have never once during that time mistook the accelerator for the brake, and, even if that was the case here, I certainly would not have pushed it so hard when I was already halfway into a parking space that it would cause the engine to react the way it did. I am in my mid-thirties and still have all of my faculties, as well as a quick response time. Fearing to drive the vehicle, I had it towed to the dealership and they inform me, after what they claim to be exhaustive diagnostic testing, that they can find no problems. I will try to get rid of this vehicle as soon as possible as I do not want to be responsible for someone else's death/injury when this occurs again. My sister and her boyfriend, both of whom have Toyota, have told me that this has occurred on their vehicles as well. She has a 2007 Camry and he has a 2009 matrix.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 192008

Camry 4-cyl

Ltr to secretary requesting an investigation of a fatal accident involving his mother in law, in her 2005 Toyota Camry. The consumer would like to know all of the readings of the event data recorder and whether vehicle malfunction and/or vehicle crash worthiness contributed to the accident. The consumer died from blunt force trauma caused by the collision. Update updated 9/21/2011

- Flint, MI, USA

Sep 022007

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While making a 180 degree turn to the right at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle when she applied the brakes and crashed into seven vehicles. The vehicle came to a stop when it crashed into a retaining wall. The air bags deployed and the contact injured her arm. The driver of the first vehicle she struck sustained back injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they stated that an investigator would inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The current and failure mileages were 20,346. The consumer stated the vinyl floor mats may have become caught under the gas pedal which caused the unintended acceleration. Updated 11/02/07.

- San Deigo, CA, USA

Sep 072005

People, like the one who filed ODI# 10131293, should wear their seat belts, not try to disable them and the systems that make you wear them. They are counter-productive to the industry and agencies that are trying to save lives.

- Safetown, OH, USA

Aug 042005

Camry 4-cyl

Purchased new car - noted speedometer reading 9% off - verified via stopwatch/mile marker method, gps, and radar. Dealership and manufacturer stated that the allowable at any speed is plus or minus 10% (I.e. speedometer says 70 going 63 to 77 mph). Safety hazard in traffic flow plus I am spending lots of time while driving watching speedometer and trying to figure out how fast I am going and what the speedometer needle should be pointing at to be correct. Manufacturer and dealership have refused to attempt to correct problem. Not sure what the federal regulations allow, but 10% delta seems excessive. Dealership noted that a new car of the same make, model, and year for the lot was also tested and had the same speedometer delta from actual. Not sure if this is a systemic problem with Toyota Camry. 2005 Toyota Tundra was tested and found to be about 5%. also noted that the odometer reading is incorrect by a similar percentage (I.e. odometer reading not accurate for actual mileage on vehicle).

- Elkmont, AL, USA

Jul 082005

Complaint regarding the 2005 Toyota Camry seat belt warning alarm. The consumer is not happy with the pitch or duration of the seat belt warning alarm. The consumer wear a hearing aid. The warning alarm pitch is at the high end of the consumer's hearing aid and when it sounds the consumer has to remove it. The consumer asked the dealer if there was a way to modify it but was told that once it was approved by NHTSA it could not be adjusted.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA