Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 012006

Numerous occasions of unexplained acceleration and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Numerous occasions of braking problems and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Numerous occasions of steering problems and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Numerous occasions of transmission problems and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Vehicle was returned to Toyota under ca lemon law in 2006 or 2007.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

May 152007

Steering started clucking at about 40,000 miles. Seems to be slowly getting more pronounced.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Aug 012009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. He stated that at 32,000 miles the steering wheel began making a loud noise when he made a left turn. He also noticed that the left tire malfunctioned when the failure occurred. The dealers diagnosis indicated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The estimated repair cost was $500. The current mileage was 50,000. Updated 04/05/10 the consumer stated the left wheel would wobble on sharp left turns. The intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. Updated 09/02/10

- South Webster, OH, USA

Aug 152009

Camry 4-cyl

I got into my 05 Toyota Camry 4cyl and as I backed out of my driveway I noticed a serious problem with the steering. I turned the steering wheel to the right rather sharply and the car remained traveling straight. I pulled back into the driveway and tried again - the same thing happened. I was afraid to drive the car so I had it towed to the Toyota dealership. They checked it for the better part of the day and said they could find nothing wrong and could not get it to repeat the problem. Since then I have had a few minor incidents of the car not turning to the degree that it should when I turn the wheel. I have had it checked an no one can find anything wrong. I no longer feel safe in my car.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Apr 222008

Subject:2005 Camry le steering shaft problem I wanted to find out whether there's been any consumer complaints or problems reported in regards to a clunking, popping or knocking noise reported in Toyota's 2003-2006 Camry's and the 2004-2006 Solara's steering columns when turning the steering wheel left or right, or going over bumps in the road. My 2005 Camry le began experiencing this problem back in early 2008 and it is progressively getting worse. I took my car into my mechanic at harbor auto center in costa mesa, ca about a year 1/2 ago to get the problem checked. (I don't trust Toyota dealership repair service or their prices). Upon further investigation he was able to discover what the problem was and even found a Toyota technical sevice bulletin titled "steering intermediate shaft noise", reference # ST001-06, date of issue 2/16/06 that outlined the exact problem with my steering column. I then called the Toyota dealership in san juan capistrano where I had purchased the vehicle, but since my car was past the 72,000 mile extended warranty and this was not a recall item, they would have to charge me. Obviously Toyota corporation is very aware that there is a mechanical problem with the steering shaft on these two makes & models, since even the dealership was aware of the service bulleton. Even though my mechanic thought my car was probably ok to drive, I am very concerned, because the clunking noise is getting more pronouced the longer I drive the car, especially when I turn the wheel, go over speed bumps or brake and turn. I'm not sure what recourse I have to get this fixed, but with all the current problems Toyota is experiencing, it makes me very concerned about the dependability of my own car. From NHTSA web site.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 012010

When backing up, driving at slow speeds, and turning the steering wheel, a clicking or dull can be felt through the steering wheel. This occurrence is regular. At first this was experienced 36K miles, at that time repair was done under the waranty. Unclear if the part was replaced or repaired. Now same occured at 72K miles, when brought to the dealer's attention, the mechanic stated that it was normal and no pepairs needed to be done

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Jan 102010

When backing up, driving at slow speeds, and turning the steering wheel, a clicking or dull clunk can be felt through the steering wheel. This occurrence is regular. Numerous online complaints have been submitted to the Toyota vehicle forums and Toyota has issued a tsb #ST001-06 dated February 16, 2006 for the replacement of the steering intermediate shaft as the corrective action. However, because of the numerous online forum complaints of this particular issue, there is a trend developing for vehicles that have more than 40,000 miles. Failure of the shaft is a safety issue.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 012010

Intermediate shaft (steering) on 2005 Toyota Camry. Car has only 36K and "clunking noise. Only real fix is to replace shaft. Started to read online and found that this is a very frequent occurrence in this model/year. In short, the part appears to be defective and the possibility for steering failure is present. No injuries to report; however, the potential for steering failure is present. Asking that NHTSA look into this matter to prevent potential disaster.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 122009

Clunk in steering wheel had to replace intermediate steering shaft at 41,000 miles started the noise at 36,000. There are several Toyota service bulletins on this issue and numerous customer complaints. Toyota refuses to extend the warranty or notify the consumer of the problem.

- Huron, OH, USA

Feb 172009

I am hearing a knocking sound coming from my steering wheel. I only have 45,000 miles on my car. I took my car into the dealership today they told me that my steering column is loose and that it needs to be replaced asap; with the cost of $500 dollars. After checking online I see that there is so many other people with the same problem/complaint. They also have a Toyota Camry. I taken my car into the dealership previous with complaints, of course before my warranty went out and told them that I felt like my car was pulling and was steering weird. They told me nothing was wrong with my car and that it was normal. Well I'm sure it wasn't normal, and now I don't have a warranty on my car. This needs to be recalled! look at all the complaints online! this is ridiculous. Thank you for your time, shelby durfee

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jan 042009

Impending failure of intermediate steering shaft universal joints that currently causes 'clunks' in steering but is progressing and could cause failure of steering shaft and loss of directional control of vehicle or binding or locking of steering assembly. Toyota has a voluntary program to replace faulty design, but only extends that during the original 3/36 warranty. This is a safety issue and thus far Toyota is of little or no help. Anecdotally, this is a very common problem in this series of cars and several other lines of Toyota of similar vintage.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Nov 022008

I have had this car 2 years.. the steering column (shaft to the wheel) vibrates at times while on the highway. Occasionally, when going over certain or different sections of the road... it is like a rattle vibration. It is not constant but is this normal"? is it a defect?? should it vibrate at all??" the consumer felt the dealer should have informed him about the acceleration problems with the vehicle before he purchased it. Updated 03/12/10

- Glendora, NJ, USA

Mar 152007

The steering on my Toyota Camry le 2005 makes a persistent clunking noise. We have not hand any injuries but are scared to take this car on the road especially long distances. The tires wear out quicker and the alignments do not last.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Jan 012005

Purchased new 2005 Camry SE. Immediately reported problems with severe pulling to the left (across lanes if not holding steering wheel firmly.) also, complained of intermittent hard shifts between 20 and 40 mph. As if someone had hit the car from rear. This causes a broad period of uncontrolled acceleration as the downshift occurs and the revs increase. The tires also wore out after 8,000 due to pull. Took to numerous repair facilities and they all said the alignment was fine. I was never contacted about Toyota service bulletins. Car now has 40,000 miles. Dealer says out of warranty and tsbs are only good for one year. Applicable tsbs are: St005R-01, TC003-05, and st002R-04. Otherwise love car. Have had over 12 Toyota and this is first with a problem.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Sep 052008

The steering of the car was slightly bumpy, was not evident in the beginning. After few months or so or close to 42K miles the steering began to make some bumpy noises. Was not aware of the defective intermediate shaft that was supposed to be replaced under warranty. Was never notified by dealer even during my visits to them when it was under warranty. Recently took the car to the dealer and they informed that I will have to change the intermediate shaft for $500+.

- West Nyack, NY, USA

Jun 252008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. On one occasion, the wheel locked. The contact was able to get the key into the ignition, but the wheel would not unlock and the key would not turn. The failure occurred on another occasion. She jiggled the key and steering wheel until the steering column unlocked. The manufacturer stated that she should continue to jiggle or "play" with the steering and the key until she is able to turn the ignition to start. The wheel locked again, but she was unable to unlock the steering column. The tow truck driver was able to unlock the steering column and charged the contact $75. The dealer stated that the vehicle could be diagnosed for $65 and stated that there did not appear to be any failures. The contact was advised to continue to drive the vehicle as normal. The failure mileage was 34,000 and current mileage was 35,000.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Oct 152005

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. Whenever the contact attempts to make a left or right turn at any speed, the steering wheel makes a clunking sound. He also feels a slight bump on the steering wheel while turning. There were no warning indicators prior to the failures. The vehicle has been diagnosed by the dealer, but is still experiencing the same failures. The current mileage was 35,147 and failure mileage was 15,000.

- Anderson, SC, USA

May 312008

Camry 4-cyl

Heard a thumping noise in the drive shaft of the steering wheel. It would not go away, took the car to the Toyota dealer to look at. My car has always been serviced by a Toyota dealer there is a part in the drive shaft that links to the control arm of the wheels, this part has failed and could have caused me to loose control of the steering wheel and disabled my ability to turn my wheels, and cause a deadly accident, Toyota motor Corp, has failed to notify there customers of this tsb bulletin, and this is a safety hazard. I cannot believe that this is not a recall item. I spoke with the dealer and they have had over 100 and 1000's of 2005 Camry's with this problem. Yet nothing has been done. Does someone need to be killed or Toyota sued to have this part replaced. The part in the drive shaft failed, there is a tsb on this, but Toyota refused to fix this due to that my car has over 36K miles on it, and under 50K, not one person at the Toyota dealership would fix this for me, without charging me, yet this part has been put on a tsb bulletin. The dealership nor Toyota did not inform me of this situation. This should be a recalled item. I have my car service at Toyota dealerships and I am the original owner, yet the lack of Toyota to due something about this, is irresponsible. This was the first time I took my car to priority Toyota, because the service being provided by the other Toyota dealerships in the area was Subaru. I do not blame priority Toyota for not fixing the problem, in fact they were the very first dealership to identify the problem. The other Toyota dealerships in the area failed to address this issue, even though I took my car to these other dealerships for service. First team Toyota was the main dealer that serviced my car when there was less than 36K miles on it. I use to bring it to them and have them check everything, and the only tsb they told me about was the belt pulley, tsb, when I asked if there were any others, they said that was it.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Apr 252008

While driving at various speeds the steering wheel "clicks" when changing direction. There is also an incessant and random vibration that feels almost like "driving over bumps" on the side of the road. There is also excessive play in the steering wheel. The dealer did not cover this under the tsb, but instead charged ~$500 for the intermediate steering shaft replacement. Car is 2005, with 44K miles.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Nov 222005

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 40 mph the vehicle shakes, and bounces while going over bumps. Additionaly, the back end of the vehicle makes a clunking noise, and a grinding sound is coming from the steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for inspection however, they were unable to duplicate the problem and no repairs were made. The manufacturer was alerted.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA