CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 182016

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While the vehicle was stationary, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was diagnosed as needing a new tensioner puller. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Stanton Island, NY, USA

Jun 052016

Camry

My serpentine belt recently started squealing, so I bought a new one and changed it myself. Upon changing it, I realized that my crankshaft pulley had chunks of rubber that had come off of it, and it seemed to be making the belt rub on the side of the engine block on one of the tension pulley's. after researching online, I found that in 2011, Toyota had recalled 402,000 vehicles because of a faulty crankshaft pulley, that caused power steering to go out, and cause accidents. However, in calling Toyota, they state there are no open recalls on 2005 Toyota Camry's, even though the website that I found included 2005 Toyota Camry's in their recall list. Even now with a new belt on, the belt is jumping back and forth on the tension pulley causing the car to have a "jittery" feel while idling. I feel it is only a matter of time before this belt is ruined as well. I'm not sure how certain models of Toyota Camry's in 2005 would've had a different crankshaft pulley, that happens to be doing the same thing that mine is doing now (rubber seperating from the metal), yet they were recalled and mine was not.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Mar 192016

Camry

March 19th 2016, driving on a city street when the car suddenly accelerated. Applied the brakes/emergency brake. Car continued to accelerated and I attempted to enter freeway. I was unable to turn the steering wheel and I hit a car that was entering the freeway.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

May 032015

Camry

A year ago in may of 2015, my wife was driving her Toyota Camry when the power steering suddenly went out on her while driving and almost caused her to crash. We brought it to a mechanic who was mystified, he said he'd never seen anything like it before, in his words, "it looks like the pulley bent on it's own and then the belt came off." He had no idea what had caused the pulley to get out of alignment and charged me almost $500 to repair the damage. Nearly a year later, I'm investigating brake issues with Camry and I came across this recall which describes perfectly what the mechanic couldn't figure out. Why was I never informed of this recall? my Camry is a 2005, it clearly should have been included. Toyota's negligence on this could have cost my wife her life if she hadn't narrowly avoided the crash the failure of her power steering almost caused. This could have and should have been fixed by Toyota long before the incident occured through the recall. I want the cost of my repairs refunded by Toyota and any additional repairs to get it up to the standards of the recall paid by them.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Camry

While driving from friends home to pickup kids from school, I was going on a 2 lane road going East bound, car was travelling @ 30 mph on startight road of speed limit 35mph, all of sudden steering and brakes did not function due to which the car was about to collide with a tree head on, all of the sudden the streering and brakes started functioning and I tried to avoid the tree collision during which the trunk of the car hit the trunk of the tree. I pulled the car to the curb of the road

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 132015

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving on a city street at about 35mph when rough, somewhat grinding noises came from under the right side of the car hood of the 2005 Toyota Camry. These noises continued for about 15 minutes while I was driving. I stopped at a red light. When I had the right-of-way and attempted to proceed, I found I could not turn the steering wheel. I thought the car was inoperable but when I exerted great effort, the wheel did turn. Fortunately, I was able to turn a corner and move into a public parking lot. Again with great steering difficulty and noise from below the car hood, I drove the car about a quarter of a mile to my home and the car was towed to a service center. Updated 4/14/16

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 292014

Camry

Upon having the vehicle serviced on July 30 th 2014 on our way to las vegas to surprise my father in law for 90 years young I was informed by the good year service technician that what he was about to show me was recaled 2005 9 years ago! rack and pinion steering leakage and other known steering problems. Being a mechanic all my entire working and military life us navy.theres not allot of mechanics I don't know. From the leaky boot and steering play this was a mess. Why didn't Toyota inform me of this recall?. I will how ever bring my vehicle to the nearest Toyota dealer to let them see for them selves that the problem is real.and should have been addressed 9 years ago!. its already been recalled and they should honor the problem.

- Victorville , CA, USA

Dec 212011

Camry 4-cyl

This information is in addition to ODI 10617939 submitted earlier today. The rack and pinion installed at 50946 miles failed. The mechanic replaced the part and I was charged another $450 for labor plus incidentals. Within 4 months of the replacement, clicking symptoms slowly returned in the steering. I've only put another 12K on the car since 2011 and will ride it out until the click turns back into a clunk.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 222010

Camry 4-cyl

Started noticing a worsening click in the steering wheel until turned into a big clunk. The work cost me $2000 through a private mechanic. I should have contacted the dealership and made a big stink because the car was under 60K but over 5 years old. But the car was already taken apart and I needed to get it on the road for work.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Jul 172013

Camry

Purchased the car on July 17, 2013 in which I felt a shaking in the wheel and a sever rattle in the steering wheel. I was assured by the dealership that the car needed new tires and a balance. (the tires were bad-dealership was selling as is) purchased new tires and had them balanced in which the car continues to shake and rattle in the steering wheel. I have taken it in to many shops and they think the intermediate steering shaft may be wearing. I was told that this is extremely rare and with the mileage it shouldn't be wearing.

- Elwood, UT, USA

Mar 142013

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated he heard a knocking sound coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The dealer stated the entire steering column would need to be replaced. The manufacture was not alerted of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000. The current mileage was 76,207.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Dec 312013

Camry 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to hearing noise from rear drivers side of vehicle and dealership mechanic repaired broken strut but noise continued. When the consumer returned to the dealer, and inspection was performed, where it was determined the strut was broken. The consumer continued to hear the noise, so he returned to the dealer, where the vehicle was inspected again. The consumer was informed the noise was coming from the steering column intermediate shaft. The consumer did not believe the noise was coming from the intermediate shaft.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Sep 152012

Camry

When I took my car for a test ride at dealer I noticed that the wheel shook and told the salesman it needed to be fixed if I purchased the car, he was certain it was just a tire balancing issue and it wouldn't cost much to fix. The next day I took the car to less schwab who could not figure out what could possible be wrong so we put new tires on, still shook, then had wheels balanced and aligned several times in first week of having car, then replaced motor mounts, then struts, still shook, then replaced brake pads, rotors, yup still shakes. I took it back to the dealer and they still swear it's just a balancing issue so they balanced the tires, car still shakes violently. I have now owned this car for 1 yr and tried everything possible, now I find out it may be the intermediate shaft. I do not feel safe in this car I have two small children and I'm afraid this issue may cause an accident.

- Jeerson, OR, USA

Dec 232013

Camry 6-cyl

A consistent grinding/knocking/clunking sound started coming from the steering wheel while steering at low speeds (0-30 mph). Also, the steering wheel felt looser than normal at all speeds (0-65mph). The service adviser at the dealership informed me that this was a common issue with a 2005 Toyota Camry, and that the intermediate steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, since the vehicle was out of warranty, I had to cover the ~$660 cost. A google search reveals several similar issues with other late model Camry. Toyota has a tsb T-sb-0296-08 to "grease" the steering shaft for the noise. However, both the dealership, as well as a google search revealed that the grease fix would be temporary, and does not last. The dealership also informed me that the newer replacement steering shafts are better designed, are completely sealed, and cannot be greased. Since a tsb is out, it looks like Toyota is aware of this safety issue. However, no recall has been made.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Camry 6-cyl

Car makes a clunk sound when turning steering wheel or when you go over bumps. The intermediate steering shaft is not good. That is a common problem on 2002-2006 Toyota Camry.

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Jul 232013

Camry 4-cyl

At inspection, the power steering unit was leaking and was very low on fluid. This seems to be a known problem, but both Toyota and the dealer claim there has never been a recall? yet I found on the net that there was a recall. As usual Toyota is trying to get out of fixing a known problem until someone is killed!

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jul 172012

Camry

I purchased the vehicle and noticed that it had a few steering issues. Took it to a mechanic and had them replace the front tie rod end and was still noticing the click/clunk in the steering as I would turn. I then took it to Toyota to have recalls performed that had not been done by the prior owner and mentioned this to them. They said that it was very minor but that it was the intermediate steering shaft and I didn't need to worry about it. They performed the recalls. I have researched online and found numerous complaints about this part failing and most all agree that the unit is faulty and some have been told this by their Toyota mechanics. I also found where the recall on prius and corolla's were for the same thing. I tend to believe that the recall may need to be extended to other Toyota models including the Camry. I seriously am concerned about my safety however have been told that the problem is minor.

- Elwood, UT, USA

Feb 142012

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that immediately after having the vehicle repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V539000 (engine and engine cooling), she was informed that the power steering shaft was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 125,000. Updated 02/27/12

- Clinton, NC, USA

Feb 022012

Camry 4-cyl

Hear and feel "clunking" or "knocking" noise when turning steering wheel left or right.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 022012

Camry 4-cyl

2005 Toyota Camry. Consumer express discontent with vehicle repairs and request reimbursement the consumer stated the intermediate steering shaft was replaced, because there was a noise emanating from the vehicle, when the consumer turned the steering wheel. The consumer stated the part failed with only 33,103 miles on the vehicle.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA