2006 Toyota Camry brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Camry:

2006 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Aug 032006

Camry

I was traveling at 70 mph on the 210 East near pasadena, California, and under normal driving condition, the vehicle"S brakes failed near the mountain street exit. My immediate reaction was to use the hand brake, after which I pumped the brake pedal in an attempt to restore the mechanism. I was unsuccessful in doing so. Turning on the emergency lights, I traveled for about 2 miles, going through a tunnel, and took the first exit, lake avenue, off the freeway. I left vehicle at a friend?S place close to the exit. While attempting to restore the brakes all along, the car finally did stop on a side street near the exit. I was transporting three adults and a child in the car at this time. The vehicle was not involved in a crash, and accordingly there were no deaths or injuries. This is the first occurrence of an incident of this nature. I am the first owner of the vehicle. The vehicle was purchased from frontier Toyota in valencia, California. Acting on the advice of the service representation at frontier Toyota, who indicated that the vehicle had a warranty on it that would cover the towing, I had the vehicle towed to the dealership. Upon inspection, I was informed that the warranty would not cover the towing, and that the towing charges of $264 had to be paid for the vehicle to be released. The vehicle was later inspected, and the brakes were certified as ?in good condition? by a mechanic at frontier Toyota. The mechanic"S records that were furnished by the dealership indicated that the brakes had work done on them. The mechanic certified that the brakes pads were good, without addressing the inherent problem that exists with the entire breaking system. The breaks, as I experienced it while driving probably had an air leak in the pedal. I was extremely disappointed in the service provided at the dealership, and the basic overall performance of the vehicle.

- Newhall, CA, USA

Nov 232005

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the brake pedal was very soft and similar to stepping on a sponge. He stated that there was no resistance in the brakes and the pedal has to be depressed all the way to the floorboard for the vehicle to stop. The Toyota dealer stated that this was a normal occurrence. The dealer later repaired the brake pedal for free so that there would be a little more resistance. The failure mileage was 3 and current mileage was 5,000. Updated 09/16/08 updated 09/22/08.

- Lonchmont, NY, USA

May 242007

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The dealer stated that the vehicle's front brakes were out of round and caused the vehicle to pulsate. The dealer resurfaced the front rotors and sanded the front brake pads. While driving 40 mph under normal driving conditions, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and failed to stop. The contact was unable to steer the vehicle and crashed into a cement wall. The driver suffered bruises on both legs, a hand, and chest. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The current and failure mileages were 5,637. The consumer provided correspondence letters from Toyota, amended accident report, vehicle description via web, and extended warranty information. Updated 09/20/07 see ODI 10308272

- Cambria Heights , NY, USA

Jan 052007

Camry 4-cyl

- the contact has a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when she applied the brake at about 25 mph the vehicle would accelerate about a twenyth of a mile before slowing down. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer several times, but they have been unable to find a problem. The contact stated that only once wet weather may have been a factor when this problem has occurred. Updated 03/07/17.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Nov 052006

Camry 4-cyl

When I pressed on my brakes while turning into a store ront my car would not stop. My car ran into the storefront.

- Missouri City, TX, USA