CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2006 Camry our "Seal of Awesome" when the NHTSA data shows engine problems in the triple digits & multiple deaths/injuries/crashes etc?

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2006 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

In other words, it's our opinion that the 2 deaths & other injuries/fires/crashes reported to the NHTSA are significant, but (unfortunately) not out of the ordinary for any vehicle, once you factor in the effects of the extended national media coverage of Camry unintended acceleration issues.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2006 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2006 Toyota Camry seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Camry:

2006 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 022016

Camry

The contact owned a 2006 Toyota Camry. While driving 70 mph in inclement weather, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained chest and head injuries that required medical attention. The rear passenger sustained minor head injuries that also required medical attention. The contact was unsure if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the crash scene, but was not diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Hico, TX, USA

Dec 162015

Camry

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact received notification of a manufacturer's recall for the air bags; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN and NHTSA campaign number were unknown.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 212015

Camry

My airbags light is on and my airbags are not working making it very dangerous. I brought my into the dealer and he said that the computer system in the car is defective causing my airbag system to be inoperable. They will not fix it. I only have 49,000 miles on the car. I am concerned that if I am in a accident my airbags will not protect me.

Apr 212015

Camry

On April 21, 2015 I had my car in the dealer for a oil change etc. When I left the dealer I noticed that my air bag light was on located on the dash and also the air bag light stated that it was off. I went back to the dealer and showed him what happened and he stated that it was a computer problem and it would cost me around $700 to repair the computer. I told him it was not on when I brought the car in and now it is on. I only have approx., 48,000 on this car and I purchased it new in Nov. 2005. He did not fix it and I am concerned that if I get into a accident the airbag system will not work. I do not have the $700 to get it fixed. I do not believe what he told me, it must be something else with the airbag system. As long as the airbag lights are on it will not pass state inspection. I need it fixed. Thank you.

Nov 222014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000. Updated 7/21/15

- Irvine , CA, USA

Apr 012015

Camry

Air bag warning light illuminated intermintently.

- Concord, CA, USA

May 252015

Camry

Air bag light came on and it is still on.

- Bear, DE, USA

Feb 022015

Camry

Air bag light came on intermittently for weeks before coming on in February 2015. Thinking it was not urgent, I took the car into the dealership and they ran the code. They informed me that the air bag computer sensor had failed which was located in the passenger seat and had to be replaced, totally $3300 for parts. Air bags may not deploy properly or deploy unexpectedly until fixed. Expensive repair for car nearing end of its life.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 102015

Camry

Traffic light was green, I entered intersection and hit another vehical broadside. My car received damage to the front bumper, the left front fender, and the right front fender. Air bags did not deploy.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Dec 072014

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,505. The VIN was unavailable.

- Abbeville, SC, USA

Nov 112014

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle referenced left target, stoughton, MA, parking lot at 12:10pm-11-11-14 (with 7yr old grandson car seated behind driver & driver was in seatbelt). When existing lot, another car backed out of parking space and hit rt, back end of ref car. Driver of ref vehicle looked behind at vehicle that struck her and, as she turned forward & barely stepped on gas to move away from vehicle that hit her, there was a loud clicking noise, tires started spinning and car took off accelerating w/O control of brakes, shift or steering. Ref vehicle hit curb, accelerated up hill from parking lot and went airborne, crashed down into guardrail at approx 45-50mph and airbags did not deploy. Driver is sure ref vehicle would have continued traveling forward if not for guardrail! driver of vehicle (and grandson) were taken in ambulance to hospital and in triage all day. Driver suffered head and eye injuries and hematomas from neck down. Grandson reported slight back pain and was released. Thankfully, neither of ref vehicle's occupants were maimed or died. After much research, found there are 2006 Toyota Camry with etc issues. Again, no control of any aspect of car - could not put in neutral, gear shift just "floated" over all gears when trying to use! would like for NHTSA to inspect gas pedal for "whiskers" or other problems that led to this. As driver of this vehicle, I can honestly state that I have a great driving record and I am not prone to "driver error" putting foot on gas pedal instead of brake (and accelerating to that distance) and there was no carpet for pedal to stick under. Checked Toyota dealership where my mom purchased this car (she passed prior to this).they informed me that there were no recalls for this VIN#. makes me wonder about airbag deployment as well. None of this should have happened! any feedback from you would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Nov 142014

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While driving 65 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the spiral cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V168000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 109,000. The VIN was not available.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 302009

Camry 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. The consumer stated on two separate occasions, he experienced sudden acceleration. The first time the accident happened, he was pulling into a parking space, and all of a sudden the vehicle accelerated, went over a curb and impacted the side of a building. He immediately shut the engine off, using the key. The air bad did not deploy. The second incident happened on June 30, 2014. He was pulling into a parking space, when the vehicle accelerated out of control, it went over a curb and into a fence. He immediately turned the key to the off position and the vehicle stopped. The air bad did not deploy in the second accident. The consumer sold the vehicle on August 27, 2014.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

May 102014

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the air bag sensor remained illuminated on the driver side. In addition, the front passenger side air bag sensor indicated "air bag off" intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who adjusted the wires under the front passenger seat and the sensor did not illuminate; however, the failure recurred one month later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Apr 052014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, he crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The contact suffered bruised lungs and cracked ribs. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000. Updated 07/08/14

- Derwood, MD, USA

Apr 112014

Camry 4-cyl

In 2008 my 2006 Camry had the warning light for the seat belt come on. Wellesley Toyota corrected the problem. I took the car back in 2009 twice for the same problem. The problem reoccurred in 2010 and I had it repaired at another Toyota dealer. Since then it comes on and other times goes out. Now it is permanently on.

- Newton, MA, USA

Aug 132013

Camry 4-cyl

Wife was driving and noted that the red airbag warning light had gone on. We stopped. I moved the seat and began driving. The airbag warning light was off. The light remained off until early 2014, when it began alternating periods of on and off. On March 27, 2014, we took our Camry to our Toyota dealer. The dealer wrote (report is in the computer holdings of Toyota motor sales, U.S.a.): "found the seat track floor covering has come loose which once the seat has moved it caused the cover to [be] pushed against the airbag connector underneath the seat. This causes the light to come on due to no communication at the drivers side airbag squib connector. (code B1821)" the dealer repaired the wiring. It is evident now that each time my wife or I moved the driver's seat there was a possibility of disruption of the airbag electrical circuit. The seat is driven by an electric motor, so there was no chance we disrupted the wiring as might happen with a manually readjusted seat. This is a serious safety defect caused by poor engineering design and not a "wear and tear" issue. The airbag electrical circuit should have been designed so as to have been safe from disruption by movement of the driver's-side seat. On April 9, 2014, Toyota announced a recall for an airbag electrical connection design defect--in the steering column rather than under the seat--similar to what we experienced. Based on our experience, the recall does not go as far as it should have.

Jan 052014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle spun uncontrollably and then rolled over. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained minor lacerations and bruising, and a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but was ruled as being destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 64,000. Updated 02/11/2014

- Baytown, TX, USA

Dec 032013

Camry 4-cyl Diesel

The 2006 Toyota Camry involved in a frontal collision (which is a total lost) does not has the airbags deployed at the moment of the accident as designed.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Oct 082013

Camry 4-cyl

Driving home from work I hit a large deer, approximately 200 pounds, at 45 mph, direct front end contact, causing damage to the whole front hood, grille, both front fenders, radiator, headlights, air conditioning system. Air bags did not deploy, no injury to me. Received my car from the body shop October 25th and everything looked great. After driving approximately 800 miles noticed a little body misalignment and on the 18th of October I drove to the body shop to have them look at the alignment problem and check the air bag warning light. They are working on the body issue, which I could care less about, however, after doing a scan of the car systems, with the hand held scanner, the air bag warning is not a sensor issue due to the collision with the deer, but it is in the passenger seat sensor/wiring which should be a Toyota issue. I have researched this and there are several complaints online, but I have not seen a re-call from Toyota, the fix for this situation is to replace the passenger seat at a cost of about $3400. My biggest concern is why did the air bags not deploy and now is the total air bag system not functioning?

- Bloomingdale, GA, USA