Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Mar 162006

My 2007 Camry smells horribly like mold and mildew. The mold is in the A/C but I can't get sunnyside Toyota to replace the A/C and clean the vents. What do I do? I have been complaining since I bought the car brand new in March 2006. I finally found a doctor who could diagnose what was wrong. The mold in the A/C of my Toyota has caused my leg muscles to be weaken so I have alot of pain walking and a large bump on my leg. Toyota has been nice but won't clean out my A/C or vents and won't admit this is a very very common problem in the 2007 Camry. I am high sensitive to mold and it has caused alot of sick days, doctors appts, and pain. I would like them to replace the A/C and I am sure there will find the mold.

- Lorain , OH, USA

Feb 072010

I have a 2007 Japanese-made Camry. I bought at a premium (well above invoice and above msrp because servco Hawaii does not give discounts) thinking I was paying for a reliable and well-made vehicle. I have had other Toyota but none with as many problems as this vehicle. And, with all the news of accelerator problems, I would like my problems checked and not be charged for it. I do not like the idea of having to pay $103 (1hr labor) X 3 different accelerator issues + another $103 to see why there is the smell of gasoline coming from the A/C vent. 1. when stepping on the accelerator, I will get no response... I continue to depress the gas, still no response. Then finally, the car will thrust forward violently. This has been mentioned to Toyota Hawaii dealer several times saying it was normal for drive by wire vehicle and that it will take some getting used to. 2. when accelerating slowly, the car will rev high without the automatic transmission upshifting.. I have to depress the gas more and the car will rev even higher before upshifting. 3. on 2 different times, the car has revved and jumped forward while not in gear. The first time was at an intersection. I shifted into neutral with the P-brake on and it felt as if someone hit my car from the rear. The car jumped into the busy crosswalk about 2 feet until I hit the brake pedal and shifted it back into drive. Another time was at the drive-thru window in park. The car didn't move but jerked violently. Both were on flat surfaces. 4. when under heavy acceleration, the car sometimes give off the smell of gasoline. It is not exhaust fumes but smells of raw gasoline. A/C in recirculate mode. I also have been having numerous other quality problems with excessive rattling of trim and door ajar alarm going off for no reason.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jun 122009

On 6-12-2009 approximately 5pm. I had an incident with my 2007 Toyota Camry. We were on vacation, driving to southern shores, nc. Stopped at: The Virginia diner got in the Camry. To start the car that is equipped with the option, smart key, you must depress the foot brake and push the start button to start the engine. Again, to place the car in gear, the foot brake must be depressed. I placed the car in reverse and the engine began to race with the brake being push as hard as I could, the car couldn't be held. It moved backward. I hit a parked pickup truck and drove it into a SUV parked next to it. The incident took only seconds. I exchanged information with the owners of the damaged vehicles. Someone called the sussex co. Sheriff, who arrived, checked for injuries. There were none and he said, that this happening on private property without injuries, means he would not submit a police report. My Camry was received the most damage, about $5,000. It was drivable and the trunk lid stayed latched and was able to be opened with the dash release. Nationwide insurance paid all of the damages. My deductible was $500. I had no idea how this happened and assumed it was user error. With the news reports and receiving the recall notice from Toyota. The Toyota floor mat was attached to the floor with the safety catches. I removed the mat as directed. I feel that the accident was caused by a system error. I took my '07 Camry to my dealer, Toyota of greensburg after my explanation, the service manager, told me that I shouldn't be driving the car and rented a loaner car for me. He said, that a corporate service representative would examine my auto. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Jan 272010

Since there is recall on the Toyota Camry I have one. Why have I not received a letter this could put me and my child in danger or kill both of us. I think it is wrong that I had to here it from the tv instead of from the Toyota dealerships. Nothing has happen to my car yet and hopely not. But how can I make sure it will be safe and if not what are they going to do give me something else to drive if this dose not fix the problem

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

Jun 142008

2007 Toyota Camry manufacturer's defect of the air conditioning system. Emits a strong musty mold smell. The company is aware of this problem and has done nothing. Dealership performed a temporary foam treatment that might last a year and sprayed a chemical inside the vent system. The possibility of mold in the system exists and could cause severe aggravation of already existing allergy problems. I have read many complaints from all over the country. I think it's time to hold Toyota accountable.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Aug 072007

Camry 6-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry with sudden acceleration without warning. Consumer states that the vehicle surged forward while pulling into a parking space and came to rest after hitting a building. She stated there was over $8,000 in damages. The consumer state the manufacturer issued a recall for the floor mats.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 122008

Camry 4-cyl

On Saturday 1/12/08 the accelerator on my 2007 Toyota Camry stuck to the floor!! I pumped the pedal a few times but that didn't free it. I had to slip it into neutral and cut the engine. I was able to safely coast into a parking lot but was highly upset! I looked down and did not see anything interfering with the pedal, so I placed the vehicle into park and started it up and pumped the pedal again. It slowly came out. (it felt as though hydraulic pressure had been released.) I put it into drive and slowly pulled forward. It seemed ok so I drove it slowly straight to the dealer. When I got there I told them what happened. (if this had happened when my 68 yr. Old mother in law was driving my children to school in this car as she usually does, I don't think she would have reacted as I did!) the dealership called me less than two hours later and told me that they had already checked my car and that there was nothing was wrong with it. They said they thought my car mat had gotten stuck on the accelerator (not one of theirs, but a very heavy thick rubber one.) I explained I had looked down to see if anything was stuck once I had the vehicle safely stopped and could see nothing interfering with the pedal! they told me they were basing this assumption on the fact that there was an outline for my car mat near the gas pedal. I told them, adamantly, that I didn't care where the outline was, that I had visually inspected it and that nothing was stuck! they informed me that, that was their position on the matter and basically the explanation they were sticking to. I don't feel this car is safe! I have lost my confidence in Toyota and seriously doubt I will ever purchase another.

- Laplata, MD, USA

Jun 272006

Camry 4-cyl

Upon acceleration a deep thud is heard in the rear end area. All possible areas of loose articles were checked. Dealer cannot seem to find. Rear wheel well material comes loose and hangs. Dashboard had to be torn out to fix ac rattle. Jbl bluetooth radio malfunctioned and needed replacing.

- Cumming, GA, USA