Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Oct 012012

Camry 6-cyl

The dashboard seems to be disintegrating. The area on the front part of the dashboard (closest to the windshield) seems to be the worse, although the problem is spreading to the entire dash. It is sticky, tacky, shiny and gouges easily. This problem is creating a glare and is dangerous. The dash is basically melting. I worry about the function of the airbags. Is there documentation that states the safety of the airbag is not compromised" what about the windshield" Toyota needs to fix this problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012013

I own Camry SE 2007. Dashboard of the car is starting to melt, surface is very sticky, shiny and when touched with finger it is coming off like a glue. While driving the surface is so shiny it creates very bright glare from sun light, sometimes it blinds driver's road visibility creating a potential road hazard dashboard surface has turned into a very soft material and it can be easily scraped off to expose the underlying insulation.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Jan 022012

Camry 4-cyl

The area on the front part of the dashboard (next to the windshield) has become sticky and shiny. It is tacky to the touch and easily gouges. It creates a glare for the driver that can impair his ability to drive. We have tried washing the area and it does not improve the condition! it is dangerous and unsightly!

- Surfside, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard of my 2007 Toyota Camry SE has been melting and there is a shine reflection of the dashboard in the windshield creating a visibility problem. I bought this car brand new when it came out at maroon Toyota at weston, fl. When I started with the problem I took it to this dealership and the manager said my car was our of warranty and could do nothing. I also took it to headquarters Toyota in miami where I have been taking my car for maintenance and I got the same reply. I called Toyota usa and the agent said he can't do anything else either because the dashboard of the car has a warranty of only 3 years. This is a manufacturing defect of the car. I never heard of a melting dashboard and my car right now has less than 65K and this started when it was around 50K miles. Please, can you help? I am sure I cannot be the only one complaining. Thank you

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Oct 032011

Camry 4-cyl

On September 2011, the texture of my dashboard started changing to a shiny tacky texture, and the closer to the window the more severe it was. I must add that I take great care of my vehicle and whenever it's parked outside I use interior windshield covers to protect it from the sun and heat. In an attempt to clean it, I noticed the dashboard was disintegrating. It was coming right off and it was impossible to remove the sticky texture. Furthermore, the dashboard is so soft that it can be scrapped right off with a nail or any slightly sharp object. I've been investigating this issue, and it appears to be common on 2007 Camry's and 2007 Lexus' vehicles. I created a video demonstrating this defect and have posted it on youtube. It can be found by searching "Toyota Camry sticky dashboard" or by clicking on this link

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Aug 092011

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the entire length of the dashboard melted for an unknown reason. The vehicle was not inspected and the manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Longwood , FL, USA

May 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the sun visor plastic holder detached from its housing, causing the sun visor to hang abnormally. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 45,000.

- Tellahassee , FL, USA

Jan 102011

2007 Camry indigo blue paint scratches. Under each entry door handle there are tons of scratches, as if you have many rings on your fingers scratching the paint. I bought the car new in 2007 and this issue presented itself from the beginning. It's like the top layer of paint will not stay on because you can see the primer layer right under the blue paint scratches.

- North Vernon, IN, USA

Dec 012010

Camry 6-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry. Consumer states that the dashboard is disintegrating or melting. Consumer is concerned since the dash holds all the instrument panel gauges, and panels.

- Manati, PR, USA

Oct 142009

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry le. The contact stated that whenever it rained there was a puddle of water on the drivers side floor. The first time the contact took the vehicle to the dealer, they stated that the drain plugs were installed correctly. The second time the vehicle was taken to the dealer, the entire vehicle had to be vacuumed out and the carpet cleaned. The failure occurred three times and the dealer was unable to correct the failure. The manufacturer was willing to assume responsibility for the repair cost; however, the contact feels that the failure may eventually cause other components to fail. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 45000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Oct 222008

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. Each time it rained the drivers side floor was extremely wet. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who removed the carpet, cleaned it twice and reinstalled the same carpet. They also cleaned the ac hose that was clogged with debris and the vehicle was repaired under the warranty. The failure recurred after the dealer previously repaired it. The dealer was contacted again but informed her that they really don't know where the water was coming from and they were unable to repair the failure. The manufacturer was called and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 40,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 112010

Passenger sun visor does not stay up. It droops and obscure visibility. I have to either fold it to left window side or hold it while driving.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Apr 272010

On April 27, 2010, I was backing out of a parking space. I usually back out of a parking space very slowly so that I can stop at anytime. After I had cleared the parking space and before I could exchange gears, the car (2007 Toyota Camry) kept on reversing. I put my foot on the brake but the car did not stop. It stopped when it hit a van which was adjacent to a police car. Luckily the police officer witnessed the entire accident. When the police officer approached my car he stated that "I thought you were going to hit me." I replied by saying "my car would not stop; I could stop the car." I informed the police officer that when I put my foot on the brake, the car continued to accelerate. The police report indicates that there was a problem with the acceleration. This statement is also want the mechanic said when he put the car in reverse to work on the car.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Apr 022010

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry. I took it to a Toyota dealer on 4/2/2010 for the gas pedal modification and mentioned a thumping sound whenever I went over a bump in the road. I was told that a part that holds a heat shield in place under the gas tank had rusted away and the heat shield was making the noise. Did I want it fixed" of course I did, who wants the exhaust pipe to come in contact with the gas tank? I paid the $153.81 to have the heat shield problem fixed, and asked why an important part like that had failed after only 37,000 miles? they told me it's probably because of the weather and the snow and the rust. My problem remains - why a failure on a potentially dangerous part after only 37,000 miles? at least a third of Toyota's sales have to be in places where there's snow. Appears they're using cheap parts in critical places which could cause disastrous consequences. How could a part that holds a heatshield in place rust out after only 37,000 miles"

- Seven Hills , OH, USA

Mar 092010

The spare tire well fills up with water. First noticed the problem when I had a flat tire and needed to use the spare. Taken to dealer for corrective action. Dealer sealed the tire well. That did not resolve the issue. Again taken to dealer and trunk door seal was replaced. This has not resolved the issue. Recently had a flat tire, and again discovered the tire well filled with water. The trunk now has moldy, mildew odor. Have made another appointment with dealer.

- Cheltenham, PA, USA

Feb 142010

We own a 2007 Toyota Camry and have gone to our local dealership to have the recall taking care of. And to our surprise our gas pedal was cut to a size much smaller than its original version. We have never received notification of this solution for this recall, nor have seen anything on the media that states this is what is being done for a solution. The gas pedal in this format is unacceptable and my foot does not sit properly on the pedal as it should and did before this adjustment. We feel that a new gas pedal should be installed. We purchased this vehicle new and should be entitled to new parts for recalled items, not damaged items in a new vehicle. Is there anything you can do to assist with this matter or address Toyota Corp regarding this solution?

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Jun 162008

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The consumer stated the jack was positioned exactly as the owners manual stated. After the vehicle was jacked up, and he began changing the tire, the vehicle started to lean and then fell off the jack and the vehicle fell to the ground. The consumer stated the jack was not the problem, it was the under carriage of the vehicle that was too weak. Updated 04/01/10 updated 07/06/10

- Voorheef, NJ, USA

Sep 092009

2007 Camry xle. Problems with hesitation when accelerating. The dealership just blew me off when I explained the problem. Acted as if this was never a problem with Camry. Also have had problems with steering column's radio controls - when pressing the appropriate buttons, nothing would happen or, when seeking stations that were programmed in, the down or up buttons would jump to other stations not programmed. Since this problem is erratic, nothing was done by dealer. Problems with the outdoor temperature gauge - at times, it would take 15-20 minutes before the temperature would change to the correct one. Example: It read 77 degrees when it was actually in the mid-90S. Dealership did repair this last summer but now, it is reading seven+ degrees off the actual outdoor temperature. The final problem with this car is that the paint is chipping off of the frame area below the doors of the car. This has never happened with any previous car I have owned. Dealer attributed it to the fact that this car is the sport version so it rides lower. First Toyota I have owned and it looks like it may be my last.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jun 291996

Toyotas latest recall should not be a floor mat or stuck accelerator problem. My 2007 Camry has experienced this scenerio at least several times a year (even though I know it exists). The problem is the design of the brake pedal and accelerator pedal. The brake pedal (when braking) is closer to the floor than the height of the un-depressed accelerator pedel. If the driver has big feet or is not precise when placing the foot, it is possible to depress both pedals at the same time. The harder one tries to stop, the faster the engine wants to run. In my vehicles from the past, the accelerator pedal, when not depressed, was closer to the floor than the position of the brake pedal during a very hard (emergency) braking action. Toyota's firmware fix of not allowing the accelerator signal to override the braking signal is not a good fix for the problem. Sometimes it is desirable to increase the speed of the engine before releasing the brake to provent rolling backwards when starting on a grade. Paying attention to the ergonomics of how the pedals and the human driver interface and proper engineering design is the solution.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 162009

Terrible interior noises, especially in sunroof area (sunroof rattles when closed). Dealer has applied a technical service bulletin once but issue still exists. Car is currently with dealer to diagnose issues.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA