CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 052012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift out of park into another gear. In addition, while reversing, the gear failed to change over. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the clutch assembly was replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer again to service the transmission, but the condition continued. The vehicle was later taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Apr 182016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While the vehicle was parked, the contact was able to place the gear shifter in reverse without the keys being in the ignition. The vehicle coasted backwards and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Dellwood, MO, USA

Apr 082016

Camry

The flexplate shredded from the mounting to the engine and torque converter clutch. The problem was noticed while it was at the Toyota service garage. It all fell apart as they were dismantling it. This would have caused a serious accident if I was driving down the highway causing the power train to seize up and discharge flying metal.

- Homerville, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Camry

There are several issues. First sticky dash board.. was told I'm being put on a waiting list for part. It's been months still no word. 2nd oil consumption is ridiculous.. oil runs out way before it's time for oil change every time.. no oil leaks anywhere.. car just burns oil super fast never experienced this with any car I've owned..3rd the car vibrates when in you hit around 40 mph at 1.5 RPM doesnt do it as much when car doesnt go in overdrive in 4th gear.. was told this may be a computer programing issue.. 4th my driver side back seat mat is melted to the floor. I was told something under the car may be getting to hot. Never got any real answers to my concerns.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Camry

While the vehicle is in motion it hesitates to switch gears from 2nd to 3rd gear. As you accelerate. At times there is a jerk as it is doing so. This causes me to either slow down or speed up until it goes into gear.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 212015

Camry

While driving RPM is fluctuating causing the vehicle to feel like it is down shifting when not decelerating. This makes it feel like it is causing unnecessary strain on the transmission......updated 12/08/15

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

May 152015

Camry

The transmission was replaced by an authorized dealership 3 years ago and it only had 42,000 miles. The automatic transmission did not shift properly and would jerk suddenly as it shifted in lower gears. Recently I was hearing noise from the front driver's side where the transmission is located. Brought it to the Toyota dealership that originally replaced the transmission. They said that it was the water pump and that nothing was wrong with the transmission. The diagnosis didn't seem right to me and suspected maybe the dealer didn't want to admit that the transmission they had replaced was having problems again. I took it to another Toyota dealership for a second opinion. They told me the same thing. Keep in mind that the car has never leaked fluid and has never overheated which are symptoms of water pump problems. I decided to have them change the water pump since two separate Toyota dealerships were telling me this was the problem and would take care of the noise. Drove the car home and the grinding noise was still there. I decided to give it some time and maybe the noise would go away eventually. Two days after getting the car worked on the noise got louder. I decided to take the car back to have the dealer check it again. On my way there, the transmission started to slip gears. It got a point where the car could barely drive 20 miles/hr. My transmission went completely out at a busy intersection. The transmission is broken. What really frustrates me is that I have only put 23,000 miles on the second transmission and now it is going to need a 3rd transmission. My safety has been at risk and the car never gave me a check engine warning. Keep in mind I took my Camry to 2 separate Toyota dealerships and they gave me the run around with a diagnosis of a part that was no where near where I was hearing the noise was coming from. Toyota needs to recall their 6 speed trans

- Hainesville , IL, USA

Apr 212015

Camry

I was driving home from work, and as I was coming to a stop I heard a warning ding, looked down, and my dashboard read "low engine oil pressure." I found that warning odd considering I have only put 2,000 miles on my car since my last oil change, I have not noticed any oil leaks in my parking spot or under my car, and I had my transmission serviced four weeks ago and there was no mention of any leaks by the service technician. I pull into the walmart parking lot close by, check my oil, and oil levels are not registering on my dipstick. I quickly bought 2 quarts of the manufacturers recommended weight of oil, put them in, and went directly to my service station. The service station took me in immediately, completed their inspection, and they informed me that they cannot find any leaks anywhere. In addition, there are no bad smells, no smoke, no signs of oil burning, nothing. They recommended an oil change, which I did. The service station gave me a 50% discount on the service because it was only 2 months and 2,000 miles since I was last there for an oil change. The mechanic suggested that I keep a case of oil in my trunk, check the oil level once a week, and add oil as needed. I think this is a lot of oil consumption, and a lot of work for such a young vehicle. My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry xle 4 cylinder with 79,004 miles as of 21 April 2015.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Nov 152013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated and lost power. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle started to jerk. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer multiple times. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Highland, CA, USA

May 152007

Camry 6-cyl

Car, since new, has an issue where it seems to stall while accelerating moderately to wot from a speed range beginning around 30-35mph to around 50mph based on certain conditions. Mostly happens when accelerating to enter a highway or to make a lane change/pass. The power output of the engine seems to be pulled back by the ECM (like Toyota's traction control) as it does not seem to lug like a manual in too high a gear. There is no initial shift down of the transmission. In just over a second, the transmission finally shifts down to the next gear but it is still not enough as the engine out put is low due to that gear being too low in the powerband. Suddenly, the transmission shifts down to the next gear, being the appropriate gear for the engine load/speed, the power on the engine kicks up (265bhp) and causes the car to lurch forward. If the wheel is turned as if to take a lane or pass, this becomes near violent, startling the driver and possible means to loose control in less tractable conditions. Please note that this is with the accelerator pedal held in the 60-100% range. If, when this condition arises, the driver takes their foot off the accelerator, the powertrain seems to stall and stutter. Took to the dealership several times. It almost caused an accident 3 times as the car normally has a lot of power (265bhp V6). Toyota customer care was involved but based their decision on dealer that did nothing. It took me a long while to finally figure out the circumstances needed to make this issue repeat as needed. The tcu puts the transmission into 6th gear at too low a speed 30-50mph and possibly into lock-up. Neither should happen. The ECU sees the engine struggling with the load and pulls back the power to prevent over-torquing and damaging the power train. Analogous with trying to takeoff from a stop with a manual trans in 3rd or 4th gear.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Apr 072014

Camry

Noticed my car had a knocking sound took it in to my mechanic to see what the problem was. I'm very particular about my car. The mechanic called to inform me the oil levels were extremely low, while he noticed it was close to needing an oil change but the levels shouldn't have been that low. His observation was my car is burning oil too fast. He called the dealership to question if there was an recall of such and the associate at the dealership mentioned a silent recall of this matter. He then informed me to take it in to the dealership, in which we did and was informed due to the powertrain warranty has expired I could pay $5000+ to rebuild my motor or get my oil changed ever 3000 miles instead of 5000 miles. This I thought was a problem cause when I purchased my new 2007 camryi was informed to change the oil every 5000 miles. It seems to be a manufacture defect cause I'm faithful about servicing my car and only take it to the dealership for oil changes and this should have been communicated to me a while ago. I'm hoping it doesn't cause any motor problems in the future.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Oct 242013

Camry 4-cyl

I'm returning home from work and driving on a freeway with 60mph limit. I remember driving at 45mph and maintained a very good distance from the vehicle in front of me. The vehicle in front of me tried to slowed down and that prompted me to apply the brakes. All of a sudden brakes failed and couldn't control the car to stop. The car just skidded and hit the van with big force. Luckily the vehicle in front of me is a shuttle and no passengers injured. Engine and front part damaged very bad and I myself hit my face to the steering wheel. I cut my lip and hit on my nose very bad. I still recovering from injuries. Though the crash is so bad, air bags didn't deploy and resulted injuries on me. The police and others who tried to help me wondered why the air bags didn't deploy. All these days I'm trying to recover from the injuries and couldn't send this complaint over. I got the website reference after checking with my insurance company. Could you please help me on this? thank you in advance.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Apr 072012

Camry 4-cyl

I bought this car new and have had nothing but trouble since leaving the lot. Biggest issue being in April 2012 began having issues with car burning/loosing oil. Car would loose 1 quart or more with in 200 miles. Have taken it to mechanicsville Toyota on different occasions and had a oil consumption test done only to be told I need to replace the motor and it is not covered under warranty not only due to mileage but not being a loyal customer and not having my service work done there. My husband is a mechanic and has done all the service work by the book. My issues happen at various speeds where the car will jerk, shake, accelerate and decelerate while the ABS light, traction control light comes on and the check engine light comes on and will blink well over 20 times before staying lit. I had to drive around with a case of oil in my car never knowing when I would need to add. I have had to borrow a car from my family as I no longer feel safe driving this one. It can at any given moment leave me or just stall while driving. I have kept detailed notes from going back and forth to the dealer. As you can see by the other complaints this is a know problem with Toyota with the piston rings/seals, etc. Even though I know my ar is no longer covered under warranty, I feel Toyota being such a well known company and harping about safety should step up and do something with or without government assistance, and do something about this. I know I will never buy another Toyota vehicle as they do not stand behind them.

- Warsaw, VA, USA

Jul 042013

Camry 6-cyl

After exiting the highway onto a residential street, my car suddenly stopped moving in the middle of the street while the engine was still running. I received no warning lights indicating that there was anything wrong with the car! after the incident, I attempted to check the transmission fluid. However, there is no dipstick nor could I locate any information in the owner's manual. I had the car towed to a local mechanic because I was unable to get an appointment with a Toyota dealership. The mechanic explained that the transmission fluid in a 2007 Camry could only be checked by a mechanic. The results of his check were that there was no fluid in the transmission nor did he find any leaks. He put fluids in the car, but it continued to slip when he test drove it. I then had the car towed to the closet Toyota dealership, lustine Toyota. Lustine also found no leaks in the transmission and could not understand why there were no fluids when it was originally checked by the mechanic. Lustine informed me that I needed a new transmission. I contacted darcars 355 Toyota who services my car for the recommended 5000 mile checks. I had an extended warranty with 355 that expired in May 2013. My car was last serviced by 355 in March 2013. There are approximately 3000 miles remaining before my next service is due. Unfortunately, there is no proof that 355 did anything wrong, so they would not take any responsibility. 355 was not even willing to admit that there could have been human error in servicing my car. I contacted Toyota's corporate office. After 4 days of my case sitting on the desk of a supervisor, I was extended a good will offer of $1500 towards my next new or $1000 towards my next used Toyota purchase, but no assistance in the replacement of my transmission! my car remains in the shop. However, once the transmission is removed, lustine will check for possible defects.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 132012

Camry

I was parked in a parking garage with the car running I was speaking on the phone via the vehicles bluetooth. Upon ending the call I exited the car to ensure it was parked properly between the lines and close enough to the wall in front of the parking space. I then retrieved my laptop bag, coat and hat from the drivers side backseat. I put my coat on closed it up, put on my hat and extended the arm on my laptop bag. I then closed the back door and turned to retrieve items from the front seat and turn off the vehicle. As I turned to return to return to the front seat door the car flew out of the parking space. As the car passed me and the car beside me the front door swung completely open. I ran and chased the car for fear it might hit someone and also assuming I did not place the car in park. Upon jumping into the moving car the first thing that hit me was the bright "P" lit up on the dash indicating the car was already in park. I attempted to apply the brakes and also constantly pushing the gear up. Finally both my actions and the cars acceleration were stopped by the slamming of the car into a cement wall. While I have no recollection of the actual impact the visible signs upon my body were a large red knot over my right eye as well as scraped and bloody knees. After finally turning the car off the car failed to start up again. The incident was reported by my husband to the car manufacturer the day of the incident and while they provided us with a 60 day maximum timeframe the time has lapsed and we still have heard nothing from the manufacturer. Note: Mileage is approximate.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Oct 022012

Camry 6-cyl

Popping noise in steering @ 50,000 miles ~ was told rack assembly power steering was bad, brakes ~ touch apply going down hill front end shakes worked on 13 months ago doing it again @ 50,000 miles, warped.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Feb 212012

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving along at about 40mph when all of a sudden there was no power going to the wheels. The engine was running but no power was going to the wheels. Luckily, I was on a city street and I was able to coast around a corner. I put the car in park and caught my breath, and then when I put it in gear it ran okay. The next day, the same thing happened again--loss of power--coasting to a stop. I double checked and the car was in fact in drive--but no power to the wheels. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the hybrid ECM (which they have retained) and the park/neutral safety switch. (which I have).

- Anchorage, AK, USA

May 302007

Camry 6-cyl

Car will hesitate for nearly 3 seconds when pressing the accelerator hard to enter a freeway from 30-40mph on the entrance ramp. Does not repeat itself as the car has to be under a certain load, throttle position, and speed. The randomness of the issue will leave you startled and cringing in fear of a near miss. Engine seems to stall then transmission will finally drop down one gear which is not enough to bring the engine RPM up. Then at the last moment, the transmission downshifts and the motor comes alive. Happens sometimes when passing. All other times it is ok. This is going to get someone killed. Taking it to the dealership is useless as they deny, deny, deny and state they can't replicate. It is a definite software issue between the engine ECU and the transmission ECU. What is the purpose of a 268bhp V6 engine if you can not utilize that power when needed?

- Emory, TX, USA

May 102007

Camry 4-cyl

I bought 07 Camry from local Toyota dealership in 2007. From the start I've noticed the car was consuming oil. There is no trace of leak anywhere but was taking oil. Without much thought, I would add oil as needed. As the mileage start to rack up, the problem is too obvious and it is getting worse. At the beginning, I did not know how much oil was being consumed. Then I stared to use ticker oil hoping the problem would go away. It did not and I am still using ticker oil (5W20 to 5W30) oil consumption problem, I think is progressively getting worse. The car now has 65,000 miles and late last summer (2011) I've seen oil adding every month (about every 1,000 miles). Local dealer said a quart every 1,000 miles is normal. Service manager is saying that Toyota stated the consuming a quart every 1,000 mile is normal. So go complain to Toyota Corp is what they said. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall. Dealership said I should go through oil consumption test, which I stated the process in December of 2011. They had put in half inch above the full mark on the dipstick, which I would have though they would have noted this. After I come back after 1,000 miles, oil consumption was there but they claim 1/2 quart in 1,000 miles. Not considering how much they have over filled or had any idea of that fact. I started looking into this in web and also learned that dealership uses additive to not consume oil in consumption testing. I cannot win over dishonest experts at the dealership. This is a serious problem. I cannot sell this car as I am not about to lie about the oil consumption to a buyer. Who would want to buy my car that consumes a quart every 1,000 mile. I can tell a buyer "this is normal in Toyota standard"; would a buyer understand this? Toyota is trying to turn away their problem onto their customer.

- South Barrington, IL, USA

Jun 032011

Camry

The oil light on my 2007 Toyota Camry comes on before the required oil change is due. When I take it to the dealership, they say it is low on oil & it is normal to burn about a quart of oil for every 700 - 1000 miles & I need to check it between oil changes and probably add additional oil. There is not an oil leak and several other 2007 Camry owners have reported the same issue and response. Additionally, I own a 1998 Camry and it has never been low on oil.

- Snellville, GA, USA