CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Nov 032016

Camry

Excessive oil consumption issue. Toyota will now offer any coverage or warranty. Issue just started showing itself this past fall and once I learned of the technical service bulletin, Toyota said it was past their 10/31/16 date and the fact that the care was past the 10 year pis date (by 4 days). They now say this is a wear and tear issue. There is something wrong here with this many problems for many, many Camry owners and no type of recall was ever issued. Very frustrating and very disappointing in Toyota. Have had no other issues with this car or with Toyota in my 10 years of ownership. Will now never purchase another Toyota again.

- Spirit Lake, IA, USA

Feb 032016

Camry

Known oil consumption issue that Toyota has cancelled warranty in the middle of my testing. Car uses over a quart every 1000 miles. Horrible

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Camry

Excessive oil consumption. 1 qt every 1000 miles, that's 5 qt per oil change going into the environment.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Feb 012016

Camry

Burning oil at a high rate. I have to add oil every 500 miles or so. We have always followed a plan of changing the oil every 3 months or about 4000 miles. Since about Feb 2016, this high consumption issue has existed on this vehicle. We've owned the vehicle since 2007.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Jan 152016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving various speeds, the low oil indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed. The technician informed the owner of Toyota's limited service campaign (ZE7). The vehicle was not repaired per the expired campaign. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 180,000.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Jan 022017

Camry

The valve cover gasket leaks auspiciously without knowing you are losing oil because there is no leak below the car. On three occasions I went in for an oil change and there was no oil in the engine. I'm concerned about the engine burning up without notice.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 132016

Camry

Oil consumption. I had the oil changed at the dealership in may when I started noticing consumption. I happened to check the oil a couple of weeks later and it wasn't even touching the stick, so I added 2 quarts of oil and took it back to the dealer and asked them if they even changed the oil. They of course said yes and we kept noticing it burning quite a bit of oil. I took it to a my mechanic and he immediately knew Toyota had a recall on this model burning oil and advised us to take it to the dealership to conduct their test. We did the test which was drive it 1200 miles and bring it back and of course they said it only burnt a little over a half of a quart. I have been putting oil in this car most of the summer sometimes less than 1200 miles well over a quart. I have read several blogs and see where Toyota has been sued over this issue. I just want my car fixed. Thank you

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Dec 202016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 42 mph, the ABS failed. In addition, the vcs and check engine warning indicators illuminated, and an alarm sounded. In addition, smoke appeared underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bayside, WI, USA

Dec 132016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The air bag, ABS, check engine, and other warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred shortly afterwards. The contact mentioned that the failure was intermittent and occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 082016

Camry

My Camry is having excessive engine oil consumption! I just went 2000 miles and I am out of oil. Toyota is saying my year and make should be burning 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles and that is normal. Have they lost there minds!!! that is not normal!!!! there is a serous problem with there engine. To say a issue is normal shows there intergraty. I do my maintenance when I am to do so. I have a show car that I have put alot of money in and now im forced to pay for there mess ups..

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Nov 062016

Camry

So after loving my 2007 Toyota Camry for many good years, my heartache started when it began using oil to the tune of visible loss on dipstick at 800 miles. I was shocked to find little or no oil on the dip stick so I started watching it closely. I confirmed that my 2007 Toyota Camry car burns a bit more than 2 quarts every 800-1000 miles. I later found out about the oil consumption issue by researching this problem in the internet and found this site on https://www.docdroid.net/pehbl1S/Toyota-letter-ZE7.pdf.html. I called Toyota and asked them about the excessive oil consumption on my 2az-fet and I told them I own 2007 Toyota Camry 4cyl le, they asked if I had received the oil consumption issue notice via Toyota. I told them I never rec'd notice and was told I was time barred, was not eligible to get it fixed? my car is out of warranty as the primary coverage offered warranty enhancement ended on October 31, 2016 regardless of mileage and the secondary coverage was applicable for 10 years from the (dofu) date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first. My car has done 158000 miles. I need help

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Dec 012016

Camry

Vehicle has a oil consumption issue that has lead to engine failure. Vehicle consumes oil quickly without signs of oil leak. We changed the oil and discovered it was using a large amount of oil in a short time period. Driver was not aware oil was being consumed at such a high rate. Driver only discovered issue after recently changing oil and checking it. The only reason we checked the oil is because we heard knocking sounds from the engine. When we checked the dip stick it had no oil.

- Cary, NC, USA

Nov 302016

Camry

This vehicle uses an excessive amount of oil that could result in engine failure.

- Beech Grove, IN, USA

Sep 292016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to vibrate and stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart on the second attempt; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the piston rings failed and needed to be rebuilt. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the dealer mentioned there was a technical service bulletin, but the contact exceeded the expiration date. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 116,000.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Sep 292016

Camry

I have just purchased the car one month ago as a preowned one. After about 15 days the oil lid turned on while I was moving to my school. I filled in the car with an original oil. I checked the oil stick after I left the car for 4 hours and it was at the max level. Two weeks later, I checked again the oil in the car using the oil stick and it was below min tick. I have already replaced the valve gasket cover but the same issue still there. By the way, the car doesn't show any black or blue smoke in the exhaust and there is no sign of oil leak on the engine outside body. The car is no longer on warranty. I am frusterated and I don't know what to do!.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 072016

Camry

Toyota will not honor recall of bad rings. Have wasted many work days at dealer ship. Have gotten proof that there is a problem they refuse to honor extension. Burns 2 and a 1/4 quarts of oil in 1100 miles!

- Hartford, SD, USA

Jan 012015

• 1,000,000 miles
Excessive oil consumption between oil changes.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 242016

Camry

New water pump installed at time of purchase in 2013 at 89K miles. Engine currently at 151K miles as of 10/2016 and water pump needs replacing again. Estimated ~$1200+ for 15hrs labor and parts.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Nov 162015

Camry

Toyota has a recall on a number of vehicles because of a piston ring design flaw. Last year they tested my 2007 Camry and said it was ok. Actually, it burned 1 quart of oil (I just found out from customer care) but Toyota says it must burn 1.5 quarts of oil to qualify. I was told that the car was ok. My oil light went on less than 2000 miles in to my last oil change. The car was 3 quarts low on oil! the dealership says that it definitely has the design flaw--but they have to run another test to verify what I have told them. Now here is the zinger---I have one week to drive 1100 miles. That is because Toyota has said this recall ends then. Somehow I am responsible for their engineering design flaw, their inability to diagnose my vehicle the first time, and their unilateral setting of an expiration date. I do not believe that this is fair or reasonable. Perhaps they will see the light or extend the final date for me? I cannot drive 1100 miles this week. I would if my schedule allowed it.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Sep 262016

Camry

After 1200 miles, I took the car back to Toyota for second part of their oil consumption test, and was told it didn't use any oil. After picking up my car up from my trusted mechanic (who said 2/3 of Toyota's recommended repairs totaling over $1600 were not true), I was told he had to add oil B/C it was low. This is yet another example of Toyota lying to customers so they do not have to incur costs or issue a valid recall. They claim burning oil is "normal", and only if their "test" proves so, they would replace the piston rings - they are lying about these test results to avoid having to do the expensive repair.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA