CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Sep 292016

Camry

I have just purchased the car one month ago as a preowned one. After about 15 days the oil lid turned on while I was moving to my school. I filled in the car with an original oil. I checked the oil stick after I left the car for 4 hours and it was at the max level. Two weeks later, I checked again the oil in the car using the oil stick and it was below min tick. I have already replaced the valve gasket cover but the same issue still there. By the way, the car doesn't show any black or blue smoke in the exhaust and there is no sign of oil leak on the engine outside body. The car is no longer on warranty. I am frusterated and I don't know what to do!.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 072016

Camry

Toyota will not honor recall of bad rings. Have wasted many work days at dealer ship. Have gotten proof that there is a problem they refuse to honor extension. Burns 2 and a 1/4 quarts of oil in 1100 miles!

- Hartford, SD, USA

Jan 012015

• 1,000,000 miles
Excessive oil consumption between oil changes.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 242016

Camry

New water pump installed at time of purchase in 2013 at 89K miles. Engine currently at 151K miles as of 10/2016 and water pump needs replacing again. Estimated ~$1200+ for 15hrs labor and parts.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Nov 162015

Camry

Toyota has a recall on a number of vehicles because of a piston ring design flaw. Last year they tested my 2007 Camry and said it was ok. Actually, it burned 1 quart of oil (I just found out from customer care) but Toyota says it must burn 1.5 quarts of oil to qualify. I was told that the car was ok. My oil light went on less than 2000 miles in to my last oil change. The car was 3 quarts low on oil! the dealership says that it definitely has the design flaw--but they have to run another test to verify what I have told them. Now here is the zinger---I have one week to drive 1100 miles. That is because Toyota has said this recall ends then. Somehow I am responsible for their engineering design flaw, their inability to diagnose my vehicle the first time, and their unilateral setting of an expiration date. I do not believe that this is fair or reasonable. Perhaps they will see the light or extend the final date for me? I cannot drive 1100 miles this week. I would if my schedule allowed it.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Sep 262016

Camry

After 1200 miles, I took the car back to Toyota for second part of their oil consumption test, and was told it didn't use any oil. After picking up my car up from my trusted mechanic (who said 2/3 of Toyota's recommended repairs totaling over $1600 were not true), I was told he had to add oil B/C it was low. This is yet another example of Toyota lying to customers so they do not have to incur costs or issue a valid recall. They claim burning oil is "normal", and only if their "test" proves so, they would replace the piston rings - they are lying about these test results to avoid having to do the expensive repair.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Oct 082016

Camry

2007 Toyota Camry bought used with 62,500 miles on October 4, 2016. On October 8th I was exiting off the highway slowly easing off the gas pedal to decrease my speed and my car shuts down!!!! stops running !!! I lost the power steering of course. Did at least two and a half 360's until I came to a stop in the middle of a 3 lane road. It happened so fast I have no idea how I kept it from leaving the road. Took it back to the dealer I purchased it from. They couldn't find anything wrong with the front end. Their thoughts are it shut off and to go buy fuel injector the next time I get gas. I could have been seriously injured with this happening. Now I'm so paranoid about driving the car and feel very unsafe.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 142016

Camry

The engine is eating about 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles. The car currently has 145,000 miles. Car was checked by 2 mechanics and no oil leak was detected.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 162015

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry xle is burning oil and I always have to be adding oil, I took it to Toyota dealership after I received a notice on the mail about my car having a warranty problem, excessive oil consumption. They said that the car was fine and they did an oil consumption test and I took it back after 1200 miles and according to them there was no problem, this started more than a year ago and I'm still having the same problem.

- Mableton, GA, USA

Jun 302014

Camry

2007 Camry ce, problem started with car having 75K miles. Car now has 102K miles. Oil consumption is increasing. Now consuming 1-2 quarts every other week. There are no oil leaks any where. No leaks underneath engine, on top of engine, and any where visible or at all. No oil leaks! but oil is required regardless every other week! car is stationary when oil is checked. Cause of problem (I am told by dealership mechanics that oil consumption problem is caused by "bad" rings in the engine). The dealership mechanic say they see that problem often with the year, model, and make of car. No paperwork provided.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Jan 012015

Camry

ABS and brake light comes on and the odometer an tachometer stop working or go up and down wildly at the same time the air conditioner blows hot air. Also excessively burning oil 1 to 2 quarts per 1000 miles.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 142015

Camry

Excessive oil consumption car has about 88,000 miles and the oil light came on about halfway between oil changes. I took it to perryville tire to have oil checked--was told I had none. Took it back to the dealer and they did an oil consumption test, which they told me it passed after they added 1 quart of oil and that this is normal oil consumption. This is ridiculous--I have owned many vehicles and none burned oil at this rate. Normal--bah, humbug. I do have the extended warranty which covers up to 100,000 miles. I do believe Toyota is trying to run out the warranty.

- St Mary, MO, USA

Aug 012015

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle a thumping noise was present coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who indicated that the oil level was extremely low and the vehicle had experienced excessive oil consumption failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 062009

Camry

1) front headlamps burn weak and plastic lens covers yellowed over time, latter problem of which is that lenses can't be cleaned by either commercial auto solvents or by local mechanic, creating safety hazard for driving at night. Price quoted for parts alone via Toyota is $818 for headlamp set, plus labor. I have owned 2 other Camry models and never had any issue with headlamp obfuscation due to lens material or bulb composition. This vehicle's headlamp lens composition is filmy to cloudy to naked eye in daylight, not nearly crystal clear as when new.. even if bulbs were replaced the lens would obscure radius and length of headlamp for any night distance driving other than heavily lit streets. Must use high beams at night when possible and when not hazard to oncoming drivers. Even high beam distance dull. Noticed while driving on highway and other cars illuminate their own pathway far better than my own. Night time driving on rural, semi-rural, county, Suburban or unlighted state and local highways in particular are a hazard. 2) engine has regularly burned 1 quart of oil about every 1,000 miles since car had clocked 60K miles. Underwent oil test under extended recall bulletin via Toyota and it deemed car within specs (time of year and type of oil can vary amount of oil burned but recommended 5W20 results in 2-3 quarts a month burned off, no leaks, 75% highway driving.). bigger issue is oil can get dangerously low (at least quarter inch below dipstick low level) and no dashboard warning light comes on. Oil levels must be checked manually at least weekly and/or at fill-up to ensure oil tank has enough oil. Generally have been adding 2 to 3 quarts a month. Despite tech bulletin recommendations, Toyota says I am ineligible for mechanical remediation. Car currently runs and has 160K miles +/- on it. Date below is approximate for 60K mileage..

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Jun 112016

Camry

Went to have my oil check because my engine light came on / my mechanic check the oil stick there was no oil in the car at all. So he check to make sure there was no oil leak there was none. That is when we went to the web site and found out about the oil complication problem. Touch my car to scott clark Toyota and they said there was a recall on my car. They had me drive it a couple of weeks until I reached the mileage they needed for me to get it tested again took it back on 7/23/16 it passed the test and they told me that it was good and that it was only lossing a quart of oil. They would not fix my car because it passed the test. Now I have a car that I need to have repaired because I do not have the money to get another car. With me driving the car with the oil light coming on was my sign to stop and have it checked. If I would have not the engine would have blowned. So I need to know what I can do to now to get these people to fix my car asap.they also told me that it would be six months down the road before I could get it repaired because they already had a backlog of cars that are waiting to be repaired. This was before they let me know it had passed the test. Brad bennick of scott clark toyato told me I could drive my car another 200,00 more miles with this oil problem. I know that if you have a oil leake there's know way you can continue to drive a car with that problem. So I need someone to help me in this matter. Scott clarks is a place I thought cared about there customers but I will not be buying another car from them or telling anyone to purchase a car from this company. So what should I do? this happen on 6/11/16 and took my car in on 6/13/16 for the first oil test.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 012012

Camry

Excessive oil consumption dip stick bone dry after 1,000 miles or so of use.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jun 272016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of engine power and black smoke appeared from the front end. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road and noticed a trail of oil coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine failed due to the vehicle having no oil. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,325.

- Woodinville, WA, USA

Jul 012015

Camry

Takata recall I have took my car to the dealership and they said they would fix it and give me a new motor after waiting six mouths they took my old motor apart and never fixed it I left the dealership with the motor sitting in the car. Now I have no motor and I'm still paying on the car the dealership won't fix it and the corporation will do nothing either I only got to drive my car for four months of having it. My car was still running when I took it to the dealership but was knocking and they lied about doing test on it and much more because they didn't have anyone that knew how to work on it. This was roberts Toyota in columbia tn they lied to me and now my cars motor is in peaces please help

- Columbia, TN, USA

Jun 262016

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 70 mph, the engine seized. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road, but would not restart. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who diagnosed that there was no oil in the engine. The contact stated that the oil was replaced every 3,000 miles. There were no warning lights illuminated. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Jul 212015

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the instrument panel lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Memphis, TN, USA