CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 12 of 19)

Nov 072009

Camry

I was driving to san antonio from houston and using my cruise control on my 2007 Toyota Camry le 4 cyl car made Japan. I had the cruise control set at 70 mph and I had to slow down for a vehicle ahead of me so I pressed my brakes which stopped the cruise control. The car in front of me then turned and I was able to resume cruise control so I pressed resume and without also pressing the gas pedal and/or brake pedal. The car surged ahead gaining large amounts of speed and easily going over the speed limit that I had set at 70 mph. The speedometer hit 78 and keep going at that speed about 30 secs and then started to slow down to 70 mph. I have that happen almost everytime I use the cruise control in my car and use it according to the recommend standards set by Toyota.

- Spring, TX, USA

Dec 132009

Camry

I would like to report a dangerous and almost deadly incident regarding driving my Toyota Camry(2007). On December 13, 2009, my wife was driving my Toyota, Camry in wilkes barre, pa. Visiting family. She was on rte. 81 and the car starting rapidly accelerating without her pressing the accelerator. The car speed got up to around 100 mph when she finally was able to slow the car down by pressing the brake heavily and then putting the car in neutral. My wife came very close to crashing the car which at that speed would have surely meant death. My wife was quite anxious to say the least after experiencing this incident. I would like an investigation of this matter and am quite angry at Toyota for this safety issue to occur. I am considering taking legal action against Toyota.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

May 152009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry le. While driving approximately 15 mph she noticed that the vehicle was moving faster than normal and when she applied the brakes the vehicle would not stop and crashed into the rear end of a moving vehicle, pushing it to the right side of the road. Her vehicle continued to accelerate out of control although she was applying pressure to the brake pedal, eventually it stopped moving. She sustained injuries to the chest and continues to have problem with her heart. The insurance company towed the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was repaired. She does not know if the insurance company investigated the failure, but she recently took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the accelerator pedal. The Florida police report number was 3951fve. The failure and current mileage information was not available.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 012009

Camry

While driving on I-5 cruise control on my 2007 Toyota Camry SE would not disengage. I put on brakes repeatedly and had to manually shut off the cruise control. When I asked rodland Toyota in everett they stated it "should" disengage, only checked to ensure I had brake lights. I have not since then attempted to use cruise control.

- Everett, WA, USA

Aug 172009

Camry

Several times while resuming cruise control my acceleration has gone faster than expected, beyond the limit that I set. I had to slam on my brake to stop the acceleration, which is very frightening, and of course unsafe. I was able to avoid the traffic on the highway because I always allow a safe distance behind other vehicles. This has occurred at least 4 times in the time I have owned the 2007 Camry.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 312008

Camry

I experienced the "sticky pedal" in a accident in a 2007 Toyota Camry. The car increased speed on a winding road. It slamed into a wall. The car was total. I immediately told the Toyota experince line about the malfunctioning of the car. I did not hear back from them. I am not satisfied with Toyota's resolution to fix the problem. How do we know this will correct the problem? I don't feel safe driving a Toyota anymore. Fortunately, I was not seriously injured. I sustained burns on my neck area from the seat belt. I'm seeking compensation for loss of my vehicle, increased insurance payments, and traum suffered in the accident.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 072010

Camry

I have been experiencing surges in power in my 2007 Toyota Camry since I bought it in December 2008. They seem to happen only when the vehicle is cold. Could this be part of the recall problems" should I continue to drive it"

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 052007

Camry 4-cyl

The last Toyota Camry I bought was in 2007, it was the first new Camry I ever bought, I've owned 3 others in my life, but this was the first new one I ever purchased. Apx 9 months later me and my wife went to the fl keys and went to bahia state park, and upon leaving the park, I still don't know what happened, but when going 10-15 mph, the car took off and we ended up hitting a tree head on. We both ended up at the fisherman's hospital in marathon on our 2nd day on vacation along with a $120 tkt from the fl highway patrol. Two weeks later I received a recall for floor mats, I called Toyota and after talking with a girl there it was determined that I didn't have the floor mats that were being recalled, I told her than they have more than a mat problem. She said I should send all info as well as medical bills to them which did, I was notified 2 weeks later they determined that the accident had nothing to do with their recall. Again I told the person I spoke with that it seems as if they have more than a floor mat problem, sudden acceleration? updated 03/05/10

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 292010

Camry

On Friday Jan 29, 2010 I arrived at my workplace in piscataway, NJ. As I pulled into the parking lot and was slowing into a parking spot, my 2007 Camry which I was driving accelerated and took off on its own. Before I knew what was happening, the car had hit a curb, jumped over the curb and onto a major road. I don't know how I avoided a head on collision with a car on the road. My immediate sense was to steer onto a nearby tree to avoid going onto a busier street nearby. The front tire had burst on impact with the curb and that probably helped slow the car down. As I matched on the brake, the car managed to stop and miraculously, I did not hit anybody or anything. If the Camry just had a sticking gas pedal, what is the likelihood that the car could have gained enough acceleration and speed to make the impact it made with the curb. I was very close to the curb -- about 2 to 3 feet from the curb. My car was almost at a full stop. I believe that when my car sped off, it must have hit the curb at about a speed of 50 miles per hour or more. I am worried that even after Toyota inserts the small corrective metal in the pedal, the problem may still be there. Wouldn't it be unforgiveably tragic if anyone should get hurt or die from a run-away Toyota after the corrective metal has been inserted? see also 10313254 with repository letter

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Feb 052010

Camry

This problem may be related to the Toyota gas pedal recall. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry le. When I am on the freeway and moving in a slow lane, and change lane and push on the gas pedal to accelerate, the car takes a few seconds to respond. As a result, I have almost been hit from other cars coming because my car was not accelerating fast enough. I never had such problem with other cars. I took my car to the dealer several occasion (3 or 4 times), and the very last time, I was told that there is nothing they can do as the sensor and software on the sensor works this way, and this problem is by design. I tried contacting Toyota, and they sort of shrugs me away and did not respond. This problem is still there after 4 years of owning the car and I can reproduce it very easily. It happens every day and is an ongoing problem. I hope you would look at this issue and let me know what you find. Thank you.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Feb 092008

Camry

Driving my new Toyota Camry hybrid anniversary model - as I entered a local shopping area my car suddenly accelerated and I couldn't stop it. My foot was strongly on the brake but the car kept going fast. The only thing that stopped me was a dense row of shrubs which I went into and which caused considerable damage to my car. I took the car to the Toyota dealer where I had purchased it and service it regularly. They kept it 2 days and said there was no problem with the brakes. They didn't say anything about the gas pedal. I took my car to a body shop for repair which cost me $915.26. This problem has not happened again but left me scared whenever I drive my car.

- Englishtown, NJ, USA

Aug 312007

Camry

I am the owner of a 2007 Toyota Camry that is part of both recalls for the floormat issue and the acceleration issue. When I first purchased my car in August 2007, I immediately noticed acceleration problems and called the dealership about it. The car was brought it in and repairs were made, however, the problem continued to exist and I was told that it was nothing serious. In February 2008, we were involved in an auto accident in my vehicle with our teenage daughter an a friend. We were coming to a stop light and there was a car in front of us and our car continued to accelerate and we hit the back of the car in front of us. There was severe front end damage to my vehicle, but thankfully, no really bodily injury to the passengers. After placing a call to the dealership after the accident and explaining the acceleration issue to them that I believe was the reason for the accident, I was told that it could not be the issue and that my initial acceleration issue had already been fixed. I have four children that are in my car everyday and I do not feel safe in my vehicle. My floormat issue has not been fixed and neither has the pedal issue. I am extremely disappointed with the way this situation is being handled, especially since I first noticed the issue right after the purchase of my car and I was assured that it was fixed. Please advise. Thanks

- Bryn Mawr, PA, USA

Dec 232009

Camry 4-cyl

I am an engineer so not complaining in reaction to the news but I have a 2007 Camry le (4 cylinder) which I bought brand new and in the past 3 years, it has 'accelerated' considerably several times whenever I switch off my cruise control. I can count atleast 6 instances when this has happened and braking fixed the acceleration so luckily no accidents but only caused my increased heart rate. My personal experience really makes me feel that there is more going on with Toyota than just the brake pedal. That's why I have not even taken it in yet to get the 'fix'. this should be investigated thoroughly and I am sure there are deeper issues than we currently know of.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Jan 262010

Camry

On 26th Jan, on the way back home in the evening I was on 105 fwy headed East. The time was around 7:50 pm. The traffic was there since it was a rainy day. I tried to apply brakes on my Toyota Camry 2007 xle model. I didn't experience the brakes taking effect and the car hit another vehicle at around 20 - 25 miles/hr speed. Now the car is being repaired as we speak. It might take about 10 days to fix it I was told.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Apr 062007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that his vehicle suddenly accelerated when he decreased his highway speed to 40 mph. The vehicle slowed down and accelerated when the brakes were engaged. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The manufacturer informed the contact that his vehicle was not included in the recall since his VIN began with the letters a and J. the failure mileage was 36,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jan 132007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 5 mph in a parking lot the vehicle accelerated and caused her to crash into a wall. The vehicle was damaged. The contact was injured and transported to the hospital. A police report is available if needed. The dealer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jun 202006

Camry

We bought a 2007 Camry from gresham Toyota in June 2006. We immediately had throttle problems. Problems included: 1. stepping on the gas pedal and having the engine rev up to high RPM's but not going anywhere. This condition has happened on 2-3 occasions per week. This condition would happen across a vast array of conditions. You would start to merge into highway traffic and it seemed the transmission would disengage. Nearly causing many accidents(near misses).at other times you would pull away from stop sign and as you entered the intersection the engine would rev at high RPM's and the car would go no where. Leaving you sitting in the intersection with traffic bearing down on you.. unable to do anything. No response from the car! 2. other times you would be driving along at 30-40-50 mph and the car would wildly accelerate out of control for no reason. Again many harrowing life threatening events since we have owned the car. Upon reporting these safety issues to our local gresham Toyota they denied their was a problem. After numerous complaints to the assistant service dept manager he admitted Toyota had a software problem with their electronic system and were working on fixing it. To date Toyota has done nothing to fix our car. It is scary to even drive to the store. You are N ever sure when the next life threatening event will randomly occur. Toyota has put all customers in harms way and needs to be punished severely for their careless disregard for human life. Continues to this day!

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 042010

Camry

I have had issues getting my Toyota Camry fixed that was recalled. The Toyota website listed it as one of the vehicles in the massive recall however, the local dealer stated it was not in the recall. I spent 2 hours on hold before I was able to talk with a person at the Toyota customer center who confirmed that it was on the list but came up with excuses about getting it fixed. I then called back the local dealer and was extremely assertive about getting it fixed - it will not be fixed until hopefully sometime next week though the local dealer indicted he was still unsure if it was being recalled. Apparently there is a communication issue. Additionally, last week I had issues with the vehicle going forward a bit on its own. It appears to me that Toyota is not taking this seriously...the transportation secretary stated he would "hold Toyota's feet to the fire"....so, let's make sure that people do not have to issues getting the problem fixed since people are already being inconvenienced having to take time off from work to get cars repaired because apparently the Toyota company cared more about mass producing a cheaper vehicle and saving money at the expense of human life.

- Lufkin, TX, USA

Jan 082009

Camry

My car is coasting at around 40 miles per hour, then I step on the gas to accelerate my speed, my 07 Toyota Camry lunges/jerks forward unexpectedly and suddenly. On more than one occasion I almost hit another car. I called Toyota warranty services and they said no one else submitted a complaint about that type of issue and that because of that nothing could be done--there was no resolution. I took it to the dealer twice, they downplayed it--and said it was how the car operates. But if I didn't step on my brakes the lunging forward would have caused me to hit another car. This happened almost daily. I wonder if it happened to other drivers as well? the second time I took it to the dealer, the guy adjusted something but the problem still happens....

- South Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 282009

Camry

2007 Toyota Camry, from time we purchased car it would accelerate to high rate of speed when trying to speed up, ie; getting on freeway, passing and most especially when cruise control was in use, (same as steve wosnieck, apple computer is reporting). I addressed this with dealer almost every time I had car serviced, they said it was due to computer. Said computer takes 30 sec. Or so to catch up and that caused the "lurch" or increased speed. On recent trip, car went as fast as 85mph (from 60) when I finally applied brake and turned off cruise control. There was no floor mat in car, no problem with pedal. Also had problem with cruise control, would not hold speed on down-hill drive. Dealer said it was not designed to work on down hill. This happened on even minor down grades, would just take off! on 1/27/10 I went to dealer and purchased what they said was a "safe" no issue 2010 Camry. They said this one had the safe "pedal". now I am hearing issues that it is with the computer! I feel skunked! I had my car almost paid off and now am back in debt for another 5 years! not happy. This problem was on-going from the time we bought the 2007, last incident was date below on way home from vegas. I do feel lucky and thankful that so far I am alive to report this!

- Bloomington, CA, USA