Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Dec 292007

The car accelerated quickly on its own, with engine racing, and could not be stopped easily, resulting in a collision with a tree. The engine continued to race on it's own, with no one pressing the throttle, until the ignition was switched off. This was not caused by a loose floor mat, the floor mat was secured and not anywhere near the pedal. In February I received a letter from Toyota saying that they believe there was nothing wrong with the car. I called Toyota to talk to the person who sent that letter and repeated the facts as stated above and she told me that I "may be mistaken." The fact that the engine continued to race after the crash is important, since some may think that I was pushing the throttle herself. Once I got out of the car she obviously couldn't be pushing the petal herself. The engine didn't stop racing until I turned the engine off. Then, when the tow truck came, the driver re-started the Camry to position it for towing. When he did, the engine ran normally. When a car takes off by itself, it has a problem. Therefore this car, and maybe all 2007 Camry, maybe all Toyota, have a problem. However we drove this car for months and many miles without a symptom; it apparently takes some kind of particular combination of circumstances for the problem to come out. No one was injured in this incident, but this behavior could cause someone to be seriously injured or killed. I believe Toyota should find out why this happened and try to fix it, instead of trying to convince me that I am wrong when I tell them what happened. Updated

- Hampstead, NH, USA

Sep 132007

After installing kraco floor mats into our 2007 Toyota Camry, we took a road trip. On the highway, I was driving with cruise control on, when suddenly the car began to accelerate. I tried adjusting the cruise control with the cruise lever, and when that did not work, turned the cruise control off. I continue to accelerate to over 85 mph (from original cruising at approx 68 mph). I tried braking, but the brakes provided little to no result. My two passengers tried to help with suggestions: I tried pushing the brake, accelerator, and clutch (5-speed car), and none helped. I started jamming my foot into the area around the accelerator, and finally there began to be some effect. One passenger suggested the floor mat, and so I finally dug my feet into it and pulled back, finally making the needed impact of having control of the car again. We have used large binder clips to attempt to keep the floor mats from interfering with the accelerator; not sure yet if this is an adequate solution.

- Aumsville, OR, USA

Jul 112007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitates and experiences acceleration failure since it was a new vehicle. Then, on July 11, 2007, while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle completely lost all motive power and was disabled partially blocking a lane of traffic on an interstate. The vehicle failed to move even though the engine was still running. The police assisted and the vehicle was moved to a safe location. The dealer suggested that the rubber floormat may have gotten stuck underneath the accelerator pedal and caused the hesitation concern. The dealer could not find a cause for the loss of motive power failure. The current mileage is 12,968. The failure mileage for the hesitation issue was 12,960. Updated 09/10/07

- Somers, CT, USA