CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 062016

Camry

Brake booster failure. Daughter drove car and applied brakes quickly to stop vehicle. Brakes felt abnormal and vehicle collided with rear end of another vehicle on a city street. Drove vehicle after collision and brakes seemed to be working ok. 7 weeks later daughter was driving vehicle and had total sudden brake failure. Vehicle brought to dealership and service tech said it was most liklely a brake booster failure and would be over $1000 to repair. Vehicle brought to private mechanic for further assessment.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Nov 032016

• 8,500,000 miles
ABS and brake lights are going on and off. Also, the gages are acting crazy. Working sometime and not working other times. The air conditioner is working sometimes and not working other. Several people have had this problem and have had to replace the ABS pump/module! there needs to be a recall on this!!

- Valley Grande, AL, USA

Sep 142016

Sticky and melting dashboard

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 262016

Camry

Took my 2007 Camry to al hendrickson due to an oil consumption recall. I was told there was an underlying problem involving the timing cover. They refused to do the oil consumption test until I paid $1,500 to have the oil timing cover repaired.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 062016

Camry

The dashboard of my 2007 Toyota Camry has become very sticky -- almost appears to be melting. It is extremely shiny and casting a glare on the windshield, making it difficult to see, which can be very dangerous.

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 092016

Camry

My driver side visor broke out of nowhere. I was looking online and I saw where Toyota was replacing them for this such reason. Unfortunately, I was told that the warranty was only good for 7 years from first use. My warranty ran out 2 years ago, so I guess I have to pay out of pocket. I think since it's a known issue, it should be replaced or at the least given a discount on having to buy a new one.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Aug 132016

Camry

Passenger visor will not stay in the up position obscuring my vision. Descended while vehicle in motion.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 092016

Camry

Dashboard melting. Sticky oozing every part of dash. Glares onto windshield like a mirror and difficult to see out of windshield. Cannot touch it w/O getting sticky.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Camry

Toyota issued a recall for the melting dash on my Camry and I've been on a waiting "list" with the dealer for more than a year to no avail. I need to sell my car and cannot because of the dash. Toyota said they would accept the car on a trade in, but deduct the cost of the dash repair from my trade in value! how can I be liable for the cost of a manufacturer defect?! I"M so dissappointed in Toyota.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Aug 112015

Camry

Melting dashboard and door panels passenger side visor broken twice after repairs. No one sits in the passenger side and it seems to break on its own

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Camry

Melting/decomposing dashboard car was purchase from my son-in-law/eldest daughter (bought from his mother new) for by youngest daughter. After a month or two after the purchase, I noticed that the interior was pitting and was all marked up and literally decomposing. I wrongly blamed my daughter and her friends for this apparent abuse until hearing about this issue online. After my prophetic apology to my daughter, I asked her to take it into the dealer to "get the ball rolling". I wanted her to learn how to do this on her own. Several weeks later after being assured that the replacement dash would be at the dealer, they told her that it was the wrong color and would have to be re-ordered. After taking the vehicle to the dealer several times and several months after this whole ordeal was started, they explained that there were no dashes in the us whatsoever. I then decided to call Toyota us directly to explain our situation. I was told the same thing and they verified that the actual order date was March 8th 2016 (what??) and that the company contracted to produce these dashes currently has a 6-18 month backlog. I then asked if there happened to be an airbag issue and the dash was damaged would I have to wait to have this repaired. They said not likely...so what this tells me is that the dashboards are out there "somewhere" but not eligible for this particular recall and out-of-warranty campaign (different bucket). I have also learned that this campaign can be transferred to the new owner (provide them with the case #). I also learned that Toyota is not that high quality, begin all- end all uber auto manufacturers that all of the magazines lead us to believe that it is.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Camry

In the front panel area, where the gear shifter is, there's a small compartment housing a switch with which I can manually press to put the car in reverse when the car won't do this by positioning the gear shifter into the reverse position by pulling it down.. my problem is, when I take it to be checked..there's nothing they can do if it's not happening at the time I bring it in, which is always the case as it happens intermittently, but never does it when I take it to the repair shop! this is frustrating and has caused problems in different ways. I hope someone takes notice of my problem while my extended warranty is still in effect so that I can get this fixed. Thanks for your attention and the opportunity to express it. I never knew who to send a 'complaint' to. Thanks again!

- Brockton, MA, USA

Sep 142012

Camry

My 2007 Toyota, dashboard is melting, I have contacted Toyota about this problem back in 2012, I am still waiting for my dash to be replaced.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Apr 182016

Camry

The instrument that show speed, RPM, gasoline, etc was going wary. The speed and the RPM go up and down, brake light come on, ABS light come on, etc. I do not how fast I drive. This happened around every 5 mins, randomly and last for 1 mins sometimes 10 mins. The air conditioning stop working during this time. I checked online and I saw many people experience the same thing. This is a manufacturer problem, there is not relate issue with the way you drive, the way you do anything in the car. I used the card since new and the mileage currently only 103K+, for 9 years old car this is very low mileage.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Feb 162016

Camry

I have 2007 Camry with a ticking noise coming from engine, but check engine light coming on. Take it to dealer N tell them I couldnt read no codes because no check engine light. Can hou guys hook up to your computer? service advisor said ok we'll take a look. When they're done, advisor told me we couldnt get no codes there's no check engine light, &charged me $159. 2 tell me what I originally told him. Rip off.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Apr 201016

Camry

There is a hazard when driving because the sun glare will reflect on the dashboard which became very sticky and melting everyday, that happens every time I drive it when the sun is up.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 062016

Camry

My Camry has check engine light on and oil needed to be changed once again in less than 3 months. Toyota has a recall on oil burning up but they checked last time and said it's okay. Evidently it's not. The mechanic recommended brake booster for the engine light issue which costs from $750-$1,200 which is hard to afford. This kind of issue can cost your life. Toyota needs to recall this and fix it since so many other people have the same issue.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Camry

There are several issues. First sticky dash board.. was told I'm being put on a waiting list for part. It's been months still no word. 2nd oil consumption is ridiculous.. oil runs out way before it's time for oil change every time.. no oil leaks anywhere.. car just burns oil super fast never experienced this with any car I've owned..3rd the car vibrates when in you hit around 40 mph at 1.5 RPM doesnt do it as much when car doesnt go in overdrive in 4th gear.. was told this may be a computer programing issue.. 4th my driver side back seat mat is melted to the floor. I was told something under the car may be getting to hot. Never got any real answers to my concerns.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Feb 012016

Camry

Oil consumption: After 1149 mi, I checked my oil and there was barley any oil in the car. The car has 149,000 miles on it. The dealer said that using a qt. Of oil every 1000 mi. Was normal. They said it passed the recall which was tested at 1000 mi. They refused to fixed the problem.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 192016

Camry

Sunroof glass spontaneously shatter while in motion and driving under open air.

- Bloomingdale, IL, USA