CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 062015

Car has for some times been making clunking, knocking noise from steering. Car was inspected by my mechanic and was told the steering intermediate shaft must be replaced, called Toyota & was told no coverage to cover the repair.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Jun 202015

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Camry le about 55 miles an hour on a three lane interstate freeway. I was in the slow lane and my car suddenly and violently turned to the left, causing the car to hit a large rv in the center lane. The car continue spinning across the fast lane (it's amazing no cars were in that lane because traffic was fairly heavy). The back end of my car hit the center cement barrier hard (car totaled) and I came to a stop on the inside shoulder facing the opposite direction of where I was originally traveling. The airbag did not go off and the locking part of the seatbelt didn't seem to work. I could have been easily killed or killed someone else. I will contact Toyota. There is no excuse for this.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 012013

Clunk, pop and knock in steering wheel. Sloppy stearing wheel. Likely needs new intermediate shaft because of manufaturer defective part as outlined in Toyota technical service belletin: ST002-07

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

May 132015

5/13/2015: 2007 Toyota Camry. Vsc (vehicle stability control) light came on (5/9/2015). It was very difficult to stop the vehicle. Had to floor the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. The steering was all over the place, not tight with the steering wheel movements. Brought it to the dealership (new country Toyota of clifton park, NY) where we bought it 9 months ago and they said this is a common part that fails. If this is true, there should be a recall...this is a huge safety issue. I am thankful that my son didn't get in an accident. They now want $2500 to repair it. When we purchased this vehicle for our son 9 months ago, they said that we can get 250,000 miles out of it, it was a very safe car for our son to be in....I beg to differ!!! I see lots of complaints listed for this electronic stability contol and hope there will be a recall.

- Waterford, NY, USA

Mar 022015

My 2007 Toyota Camry xle lost control of steering, brakes and stability control. The car surged left, right, left the went off the road to the right. The brakes were applied but did not seem to have any function. Massive damage was caused to the body from hitting 2 trees. No airbag deployment.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Sep 262014

My 2007 Toyota Camry SE has a melted dashboard that severely diminishes visibility when the sun is out. A reflection from the dashboard is displayed on the windshield and is like looking directly into the sun. Sooner or later this is going to be the cause of an accident that may or may not result, but not limited to death. It is a defect on the part of Toyota and should be addressed immediately before someone gets hurt. I have two small children and their lives should not be put in danger for an obvious defect that must be corrected.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Sep 122014

The car pulls to the left or right and there is alot of play in the steering wheel, and occasionally the wheel will jerk slightly. There is a popping/ knocking in the wheels and steering wheel. I have taken it to get an alignment twice and was told that it is not the aligment. Put new brakes and rotors on the front. Did some research and found that this was a recall on this model of vehicle, ran a VIN number check and my car did not show up with having a recall. Called Toyota and asked about a recall for the steering. Toyota stated that because my VIN number did not show up as a recall for this problem that there was nothing they could help me with. Also see that there was a recall or complaint about the transmission. I really think that if there was a history of recalls for this make and model that Toyota should still check this out for free and fix the problem. Just because the VIN number is not showing up as being recalled doesn't mean that this can not happen. I have only had the car 2 weeks and have not been happy with the way it drives.

- Garden City, KS, USA

May 082013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While turning the vehicle at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning and made the vehicle very difficult to control. The contact stated that the failure only occurred while completing turns. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the power steering high pressure hose needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 97,000. Updated 10/7/14 updated 3/25/2015

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

Feb 012014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle would ride roughly and shake when traveling at any speed. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where it was diagnosed that a wheel alignment needed to be performed. The wheel alignment was completed and the contact was also advised that the rotors were rusted and should have been replaced when the brakes were most recently replaced. The failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 08/14/14

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 082013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle steered in a different direction than the steering wheel was turned and caused the contact to crash into a bridge ramp. The front passenger's wheel was damaged however, there were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired, however the steering failure has continued. The manufacture was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Randellstown, MD, USA

Jan 302014

Camry 4-cyl

My mechanic showed me all 4 struts(F&R) are leaking too much and that they have to be replaced. I called manhattan beach Toyota and they said it is not covered under any recall or warranty & it will cost over $1400 to replace. It took the mechanic over hours to complete replacing all 4 struts. I am really shocked by this finding, it shouldn't have happened, and Toyota should take care of this problem.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Oct 282013

Camry 6-cyl

When turning the steering wheel there is a popping/clunking sound. Had dealership check the problem and they said that the "intermediate steering shaft" needed to be replaced.

- Red Boiling Springs, TN, USA

May 012013

I first noticed in early May 2013, that when I turn my vehicle left or right at 1 - 5 mph, there is a clicking sound coming from the steering rack/pinion. I mentioned to Toyota at my last service. I was told, as usual, they could not duplicate the problem. And, that is frustrating because when I problems with my breaks, I had to lodge a formal complaint to remedy that issue. On September 1, 2013, I was driving on the highway and my vehicle pulled to the left. I hit good size shrub and now there is a slight dent on the left hand side. I selected "crash" because although I only hit a good sized shrub, I was on the highway and it could have been a lot worse had I not been able to control my vehicle.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Sep 262013

Camry 4-cyl

Clunking / skipping feeling when turning the steering wheel. Dealership said that the intermediate steering shaft needs to be replaced.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 152013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the steering wheel had become abnormally loose and a noise emitted from the steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 69,800.

- Adelphi, MD, USA

Jun 012013

I am hearing a clunking sound every time I turn my steering wheel left or right. There are actually lots of clunking noises as I turn my steering wheel left or right.

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

Jun 282013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Saugus, CA, USA

Nov 102012

Camry 4-cyl

Started hearing some weird sound at a small turn from home to work. Within a minute of the sound, found the steering totally locked and didnot move left or right and need to apply force to pull over to the side to stop on the highway. Called allstate roadside assistance to tow the vehicle to pep boys and found the water pump broken. Replaced it by them and it is running fine now.

- Raritan, NJ, USA

Sep 272012

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, she noticed a grinding sound when turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- State College, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Camry 4-cyl

While driving at low speeds (1-5 mph) backing up or forward - a clunking sound is felt on steering wheel. Also, a bit of looseness is felt on the connection of the steering wheel and the tires. The clunking doesn't happen while driving above 10 mph. Dealer (capital Toyota in san jose, ca) told me that the steering shaft needs to be re-greased. I'm concerned that there are lots of other 2007 Camry owners with the same problem, and some have lost control.

- San Jose, CA, USA