CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 262014

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry SE has a melted dashboard that severely diminishes visibility when the sun is out. A reflection from the dashboard is displayed on the windshield and is like looking directly into the sun. Sooner or later this is going to be the cause of an accident that may or may not result, but not limited to death. It is a defect on the part of Toyota and should be addressed immediately before someone gets hurt. I have two small children and their lives should not be put in danger for an obvious defect that must be corrected.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Sep 122014

Camry

The car pulls to the left or right and there is alot of play in the steering wheel, and occasionally the wheel will jerk slightly. There is a popping/ knocking in the wheels and steering wheel. I have taken it to get an alignment twice and was told that it is not the aligment. Put new brakes and rotors on the front. Did some research and found that this was a recall on this model of vehicle, ran a VIN number check and my car did not show up with having a recall. Called Toyota and asked about a recall for the steering. Toyota stated that because my VIN number did not show up as a recall for this problem that there was nothing they could help me with. Also see that there was a recall or complaint about the transmission. I really think that if there was a history of recalls for this make and model that Toyota should still check this out for free and fix the problem. Just because the VIN number is not showing up as being recalled doesn't mean that this can not happen. I have only had the car 2 weeks and have not been happy with the way it drives.

- Garden City, KS, USA

May 082013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While turning the vehicle at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning and made the vehicle very difficult to control. The contact stated that the failure only occurred while completing turns. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the power steering high pressure hose needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 97,000. Updated 10/7/14

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

Feb 012014

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle would ride roughly and shake when traveling at any speed. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where it was diagnosed that a wheel alignment needed to be performed. The wheel alignment was completed and the contact was also advised that the rotors were rusted and should have been replaced when the brakes were most recently replaced. The failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 08/14/14

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 082013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle steered in a different direction than the steering wheel was turned and caused the contact to crash into a bridge ramp. The front passenger's wheel was damaged however, there were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired, however the steering failure has continued. The manufacture was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Randellstown, MD, USA

Jan 302014

Camry 4-cyl

My mechanic showed me all 4 struts(F&R) are leaking too much and that they have to be replaced. I called manhattan beach Toyota and they said it is not covered under any recall or warranty & it will cost over $1400 to replace. It took the mechanic over hours to complete replacing all 4 struts. I am really shocked by this finding, it shouldn't have happened, and Toyota should take care of this problem.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Oct 282013

Camry 6-cyl

When turning the steering wheel there is a popping/clunking sound. Had dealership check the problem and they said that the "intermediate steering shaft" needed to be replaced.

- Red Boiling Springs, TN, USA

May 012013

Camry

I first noticed in early May 2013, that when I turn my vehicle left or right at 1 - 5 mph, there is a clicking sound coming from the steering rack/pinion. I mentioned to Toyota at my last service. I was told, as usual, they could not duplicate the problem. And, that is frustrating because when I problems with my breaks, I had to lodge a formal complaint to remedy that issue. On September 1, 2013, I was driving on the highway and my vehicle pulled to the left. I hit good size shrub and now there is a slight dent on the left hand side. I selected "crash" because although I only hit a good sized shrub, I was on the highway and it could have been a lot worse had I not been able to control my vehicle.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Sep 262013

Camry 4-cyl

Clunking / skipping feeling when turning the steering wheel. Dealership said that the intermediate steering shaft needs to be replaced.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the steering wheel had become abnormally loose and a noise emitted from the steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 69,800.

- Adelphi, MD, USA

Jun 012013

Camry

I am hearing a clunking sound every time I turn my steering wheel left or right. There are actually lots of clunking noises as I turn my steering wheel left or right.

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

Jun 282013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Saugus, CA, USA

Nov 102012

Camry 4-cyl

Started hearing some weird sound at a small turn from home to work. Within a minute of the sound, found the steering totally locked and didnot move left or right and need to apply force to pull over to the side to stop on the highway. Called allstate roadside assistance to tow the vehicle to pep boys and found the water pump broken. Replaced it by them and it is running fine now.

- Raritan, NJ, USA

Sep 272012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, she noticed a grinding sound when turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- State College, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Camry 4-cyl

While driving at low speeds (1-5 mph) backing up or forward - a clunking sound is felt on steering wheel. Also, a bit of looseness is felt on the connection of the steering wheel and the tires. The clunking doesn't happen while driving above 10 mph. Dealer (capital Toyota in san jose, ca) told me that the steering shaft needs to be re-greased. I'm concerned that there are lots of other 2007 Camry owners with the same problem, and some have lost control.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 082012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the front end of the vehicle started to shake abnormally the contact also stated that when braking to a stop, the vehicle would veer to the right. The contact replaced the first set of tires at 28,000 miles and needed to replace them again at 55,000 miles. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where an all wheel alignment was performed. In addition, the front end steering was replaced. The contact stated that the repair remedied the steering failure however, the vehicle continued to abnormally veer to the right when braking to a stop. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Sebastopol, CA, USA

Oct 042011

Camry 6-cyl

While driving, pulling out of garage, turning right or left at town/city speeds and while at highway speeds (55mph and higher) a knocking, popping feeling is felt on steering wheel. When the knocking/popping feeling is felt there is also a feeling of loss of vehicle steering control. At times a slight lurching feeling also present. The problem was reported to Toyota dealer, who inspected steering assembly and said they 'feel' the pulse but don't have a full diagnosis. During the months of Sept/Oct 2012 the problem got worse with more popping/knocking feeling felt at wider speeds and general steering control being lost more frequently. Took the vehicle to another dealer on Oct 5 2012 and they state that the steering shaft has to be replaced. More concerning is the dealer's verbal statement that this is a 'safety issue and you should not be driving' the vehicle. I contacted Toyota customer service to check on recalls and they state none exist, but a tsb has been issued for this issue. They also stated (verbal) that if more complaints are received Toyota may issue a recall. A simple google search with key words '2007 Toyota Camry steering shaft recall' yields 1000S of hits on users reporting this problem. I feel that this is a safety issue that is slowly arising. I have driven my car for roughly 18000 miles when the problem starts. Dealer now wants approximately $600 to fix the issue by replacing the shaft. I am concerned about safety, not just for myself but for other motorists and feel that this issue requires further investigation by competent authority. To me it looks like Toyota is aware of the problems but are willfully ignoring the issue. I may be contacted for additional information if required to assist any further investigation. Thank you

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jul 022012

Camry 4-cyl

The steering shaft makes a popping and clunking noise at low speeds. Loose steering parts are never good news.

- Brown City, MI, USA

Aug 082011

Camry

Purchased the vehicle from authorized dealer in 2011, had 24000 miles at the time. Within one week returned to dealer because car was making noises as turning and at when braking steering column would shake. Dealer changed a tire and rotated and balanced all and sent me home. After about 6 months, steering column is now continuously shaking as brakes are applied. Went back to dealer at 55,000 miles and dealer said this was unrelated to the original shaking problem and diagnosed it as the steering column issue. I have the extended warranty so I will have to pay the $100 dollar deductible. Next, my sun visor just broke on the drivers side, it just fell down and would not go back up as I was driving. It was obstructing my view so I played with it and the thing ripped the cloth and then came right off. Dealer will not cover costs and says it is not covered under the warranty. Obviously a known issue.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Dec 012011

Camry 6-cyl

I hear and feel a clunk, pop or knock type of noise when turning the steering wheel left or right while driving slowly or backing out of garage or parking. I noticed that there are many complaints about the same problem but Toyota is not recalling for fixing the problem, instead dealers are charging to fix the problem.

- Wayne, PA, USA