CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2.4

2008 Toyota Camry brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jan 222016

Camry

My Toyota Camry hybrid all sudden after 2 minutes of driving, had all of its warning lights on (like ABS, engine...) and with the vcs warning text across the dash board. It was very hard to control the vehicle to pull it off the road. I am not sue what is happening, but god forbid if this thing happened on the highway, I would have been in accident. The card was in no drivable and constituted a huge hazard. A car must never be allowed to lose power suddenly while driving. Scary experience and must be looked by the relevant authority to compel Toyota to investigate and may be recall those hybrids.

- Woodbuty, MN, USA

Jan 092015

Camry

I had just brake & was waiting for the signal to turn green suddenly the check vsc system came up along with the brake ABS, traction control all light came up. I reached home & parked the car & switched it off. Tried to restart the car & it would no start again.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Apr 162014

Camry 4-cyl

I was slowing to a stop at a red light. The warning light check vsc came on. The brakes were very weak and did not stop the car. I had to escape on to the shoulder and have the car slow down.

- Excelsior, MN, USA

Jan 302014

Camry

Check vsc system warning and brake and other warning lights lighting up on dashboard. Difficulty braking with lurching forward when at a complete stop. Needed to pump on brakes several times to come to a complete stop, loss of braking ability.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 282007

Camry

My 2008 Toyota Camry had problems from the day that I purchased it. I took it back to the dealer and also contacted Toyota motor sales U.S.a. I have taken the car back to the dealer several times for the same problem. The national center for dispute settlement was called by the Toyota motor sales U.S.a. and they also did not resolve the problem. I feel unsafe driving the car. The car races unexpectedly and lurches forward in stop and go traffic. I am afraid that the car is going to crash into something or someone. I have been complaining about this to the above since I purchased the car. The dealer kept my car for 8 days on one of my visits to their repair shop and told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now that the Toyota problem has been made public, I hope that my complaint will not be dismissed as before. I tried to ask Toyota to buy back my car, I noticed the problem when the car only had 16 miles on it. Can you please help? I kept all of the communications between the Toyota and the ncds since the time I first filed my complaints with this problem.

- Roslyn Heights, NY, USA

Nov 222009

Camry

Safety issue with my 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid I have 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. It is extremely unstable on snow. The car skid a lot on snow and brakes are not very efficient on snow. My car has skidded several times and I am worried about me and my family's safety. I reported the matter to Toyota on their website on Nov. 26, 2009. Toyota responded back on Dec. 3rd via email saying that they have opened a file (#0912105992/ incident: 091126-000277) and a case manager will contact me. Till date no one has contacted me. I spoke to go Toyota, centennial Colorado based Toyota dealer personnel and he said I should pursue the matter directly with Toyota. He acknowledged that they have received complaints about poor performance of Toyota's hybrids in snow. I am really upset about Toyota's handling of the case as no one has contacted me so far. In fact they were quick enough to even send me a customer satisfaction survey on how was their response without even contacting me. To be on the safer side I changed my tires with high quality Michelin tires. The oem Bridgestone tires were very poor on snow from day one of my purchase of Camry hybrid. On Nov. 22, 2009 while I was traveling with my family I had a narrow escape when my Camry skidded and hit the sidewalk. At that time it had barely started snowing with less than 1 inch of snow on the ground. The car could not even climb a small slope on the road while other cars were passing by without any problems. This incident has made me nervous about driving my car on snow. After tire change the stability has improved but I still feel that braking and stability is big issue with Toyota Camry hybrid. This model is not mentioned in current recalls but I would request NHTSA to investigate the stability of Toyota hybrids on the snow. - best regards.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA