CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 012014

Camry 4-cyl

I own a 2008 Toyota Camry and was told today that this make model and year cars have been having a excessive oil consumption problem with the engine. The dealership does not know where the oil is going and that I should watch this to make sure I do not run out of oil and burn up the engine. I have concerns about this since I travel almost 100 miles a day and bought this car for safety and longevity no matter how many miles are involved. My children and I could be left stranded which is a concern in this day and age. From what I am told this is an ongoing problem with this engine why is there no recall? keep in mind this is the same year of the whole accelerator pedal recall.

- Bell City, LA, USA

Jun 052013

Camry 4-cyl

Engine oil drastically burns. Nearly 2000 miles running, no engine oil. The dealer recommended tearing down the engine and rebuilding it. The consumer stated the vehicle is currently at the dealer having the engine rebuilt at a cost of $6000. Updated 05/13/14.

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Camry 4-cyl

2400M after oil change, the engine oil level dropped below the low point of dip stick. The low engine oil level is dangerous.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Nov 162013

Camry

November of 2013, it was brought to my attention by a certified mechanic during a routine oil change that my vehicle was burning oil. This would lead to a serious damage to the engine which could lead to fatal complications such as a fire. I am officially filing a complaint against Toyota regarding this issue. Concerned, I performed an official oil change at a local Toyota branch. Approximately 800 miles since that oil change, nearly all of the oil had burned off. I spoke with a Toyota customer service representative, and I was told that there is no 'customer care center' that deals with this issue. It is vital to raise attention to this issue as it is a severely dangerous problem not only for the driver but for the public. It is unacceptable for a vehicle, merely five years since production, which has been heavily branded as reliable to have such a poor performance. Given the responses I have been receiving from Toyota customer service, it is even more jarring that such a reputable company as Toyota would take such matters so lightly.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Nov 142012

Camry 4-cyl

Excessive oil use requires vehicle pull over, possibly in traffic when oil light comes on. High oil consumption has been noted during entire life of vehicle. 1 quart per 1000 miles.

- Concord, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Camry 4-cyl

When braking, I noticed the engine oil light came on. I checked the oil level and it was extremely low. I called Toyota dealership where we had the oil change done and they recommended a oil consumption test. When they tested my vehicle, they noticed that the oil was leaking into the engine because of the defective piston rings. The dealership told me I needed a engine replacement which would cost $6000. Since I bought this car brand new and only had this car for 5 years-this was a big shock. I bought Toyota because of its reputation and I had always kept up with all my maintenance at the dealership. This is a big disappointment and I feel Toyota should compensate for this defect. Please make a recall available for this issue since there are numerous ones experiencing the same problem.

- Fayetteville , GA, USA

Oct 102013

Camry 4-cyl

Engine light is not on but engine is making a noise.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 012009

Camry 4-cyl

When I first used air conditioning on vehicle, noticed rough idling. It was so bad the car would sometimes shudder and shake. I called local dealer and they told me it was normal for the car to behave this way when air conditioner was running at idle. The car is now 5 1/2 years old with 39,000 miles on it and still does the same thing. I had it in to dealer within the last year with another recall and I talked to service advisor about it. He said he also had a 2008 Camry and it did the same thing. It was the way the engine was set up when manufactured and could not be changed. I have owned two other Camry and still have a 99 model with 125,000 miles on it and neither had that kind of problem. I find it difficult to believe that the car or any car would have been designed to idle the way this car does. This seems to me to be a safety issue since if you are in heavy traffic and you are stopping and starting and the weather is hot and you have your air conditioning running and the car is shuddering and shaking and you are trying to get out of the way of traffic and you are afraid the car is not going to accelerate the way it should.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Jun 262013

Camry 4-cyl

I was stopped in traffic and had my foot on the brake RPM shot up to 6 and the engine was racing and wanted to lunge forward. I hurried and shifted to neutral luckily I had a little space in front of me or else I may have hit the person in front of me. I had my wife in the car with me and she was scared thought that we were going too have a accident.

- Chcicago, IL, USA

Jul 072012

Camry 4-cyl

2008 Toyota Camry, purchased new in December 2007. First oil change done at 2500 miles, at which time switch was made to mobil 1 5-20W synthetic. Oil changes done since then at approx every 5500-6500 miles. Noticed early July 2012 when doing routine oil check it was almost a quart low. This was the first time ever noticing any oil consumption between oil changes. No oil noted around exhaust pipe, no oil leaks apparent in engine or on garage floor. Late July, after oil change at 76,220 mi, until the next oil change approx 1.5 qts of oil were added. At that next oil change late Nov 2012 (81,788mi) it was still almost a quart low. Oil consumption does not seem to occur at all until after first 2500 mi are driven on new oil. Also seems to have slowed some during the winter months: Only added 1 qt from late Nov until recently changed on 3/23/13 at 87,500 mi. At this time it was again almost a quart low at oil change. Yesterday, with a little less than 3000 mi on the car since the last oil change (on 3/23/13, 87,500 mi) I added half a quart of oil. We have 2 other, but older, different model Toyota and neither uses oil.

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Apr 102013

Camry 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the oil pressure warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact checked the vehicle and found that there was no oil in the reservoir. The contact added one quart of oil to the vehicle and took the vehicle to the dealer. The contact drove 60 miles to the dealer and by the time he had reached the dealer, there was no oil left in the reservoir. The dealer suggested performing an engine consumption test. The contact drove 1,100 miles and the vehicle had less then half of the oil left in the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer but there were no repairs performed. The dealer acknowledged that the manufacturer was aware of the failure, but there were no recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was 74,500 and the current mileage was 75,611.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jun 132012

Camry 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the check engine and low oil warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the vehicle consumed.9 quarts of oil every 1,200 miles. The manufacturer dispatched an engineer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer stated that while the failure was undesirable, it was not happening at a dangerous rate. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 64,000.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Jan 152013

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the oil warning light illuminated. The contact added oil to the vehicle after noticing there was no oil in the reservoir. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the engine block would need to be replaced. The contact was informed by the dealer that there was a technical service bulletin available stating that her model vehicle consumed large amounts of oil. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 56,000.

- Mt Gilead, NC, USA

Feb 182013

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that there when checking the oil levels, he found that there was no oil on the dipstick. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where the contact was advised that there was no oil in the vehicle. The mechanic repaired the vehicle by switching the oil from regular to synthetic. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 126,000.

- Hensley, AR, USA

Dec 192012

Camry

Toyota engines in the model years 2006 to 2010 are defective in that some burn more than 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles. Toyota will test and fix for the condition only when a customer complains about the consumption. A service manager said they have a problem, but will not do a formal recall. This is another cover-up by Toyota. A bad engine can be a safety problem.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Dec 072011

Camry

2008 Camry burns oil. Noticed it in Dec 2011 and dealer informed that I need to bring it in and pay for diagnostics as it was out of warranty. Didn't notice it for a while and now again the same problem and my car was totally out of oil 2200 miles after an oil change. All oil changes were done at Toyota dealer and they informed me that everything was fine with the car. Spoke to Toyota customer service and they said that I need to pay for diagnostics at a dealership and pay for any expenses to fix the issue.

- Keasbey, NJ, USA

Jun 172012

Camry

I was driving my Toyota Camry home from work, when my engine starting smoking and all the engine light came on. I had it towed to a dealership to be checked out and was told that my water pump had froze up, causing my motor and everything under the hood to be burn up. My heat indicator light didn't not come on at anytime. If I had known there was a problem with the pump would have had the car checked out. I was told my Toyota that it was not their problem.

- Belvidere, TN, USA

Jun 142011

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact stated that the brake calipers malfunctioned due to the sudden acceleration. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to have the brake calipers repaired. After the brake calipers were repaired the vehicle continued to accelerate without warning. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer could not duplicate the acceleration issue. In addition, the engine completely failed due to a fracture in the water pump, also causing all of the electric components to malfunction. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Newark, OH, USA

Aug 202012

Camry 4-cyl

When stationary at traffic light or stop sign. When A/C is turned on and brake pedal is depressed the entire car is drastically shaking an vibrating beyond controllability. When gear is in neutral the heavy vibration is gone away. Was told by service manager that this is an normal behavior of all cars past 40,000 miles. Was told that I would have to let the vehicle learn my driving habits again since the new throttle body component was installed. Once the unit was installed correctly again engine lights kept coming on thus returning back to the dealership. Took 3 attempts to complete the engine lite issue but the violent shaking and vibration is still going on.

- San Antonio, TX, USA