Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 192016

The crash happened in a parking lot on March 19th, 2016. I had entered into the parking spot, by turning right. The car had come to a complete stop and my foot was on the brake pedal. Suddenly I heard a loud revving noise and before I could even react to it, the car had jumped on to the walkway of the building. Since I had stopped, my foot was on the brake pedal and even though I was pressing on it really hard, the car didn't stop. It slowed down a little bit for a fraction of a second, but then accelerated itself again, jumped ahead once more, went through the awning of a business suite in the building and hit a light post. The airbags didn't deploy. The car was totaled. As, I had turned right to enter into the parking spot, the steering wheel was still turned to the right and the car turned right and went parallel to the cinder block wall of the building, instead of going straight and hitting the wall, which could have turned fatal for me and my child. This vehical had been recalled earlier. I had received the recall notice from Toyota in early 2010 for "potential floor mat interference with accelerator pedal (safety recall 90L)" and had it repaired in May 2010, from a local Toyota service center.

- Allen, TX, USA

Apr 042016

Urgent safety recall, (re. NHTSA recall no. 15V-286 and 16V-128) perform immediately! do not drive! dealer has no parts an has no idea when parts are available! several thousand of dollars to sit unused in driveway for undetermined amount of time. Stranded with no transportation in rural area! what to do" drive and die"

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 252015

Camry 4-cyl

I was in center lane. Driver in right lane changed lanes and struck my 08 Camry in passenger side. This forced my car head first into a concrete wall. A 3rd vehicle then struck the drivers door. Air bags did not deploy. I had to be taken to the er by ambulance. I incurred shoulder, neck and head injuries as a result of the air bag failure. Car was deemed a total loss.

- Northport, AL, USA

Jan 262015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. After starting the vehicle, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,600.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA

Nov 102014

Camry 4-cyl

My family and I were getting into the car for a day trip and my father in-law, who is a larger man (approximately 300 pounds), sat in the front passenger seat. When he did so, the passenger seat airbag and seat belt sensor lights came on. My husband checked to be sure that the sensors under that seat were connected and they were. The airbag and seat belt sensor lights have continued to remain on each time the car is running.

- Gray, TN, USA

Nov 292014

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, another vehicle proceeded through a stop sign resulting in the vehicle crashing into the contacts vehicle on the front passengers side. None of the air bags deployed. The contacts husband sustained injuries to the face that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 1/13/15

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 062014

Camry 4-cyl

I was at a stop sign crossing an intersection that has no traffic signals. The speed limit on the street I was crossing is 45 mph. I looked both ways and saw no cars, so I proceeded to cross the intersection. As I entered the intersection, I was struck by a truck in the left front corner panel of my car. I spun several times and was struck again in the back of my car. I was knocked unconscious and did not regain consciousness until I was in the ambulance. I was transported to a trauma hospital where I was treated for a broken clavicle, broken ribs, multiple deep body bruising, and a concussion. I underwent surgery to repair my clavicle and to this day still recovering from my injuries. I am writing today to request an investigation be made into the fact that none of my air bags deployed in this accident. I have reached out to Toyota and received no resolution. I would think that with the multiple points of impact on my vehicle that my side curtain air bag or my driver's airbag would have deployed. I believe that if the airbags had deployed, I possible would not have had the broken bones I suffered. I feel this issue needs to be looked into for at the very least to prevent further accident injuries. My car had been in for service multiple times over the year prior for engine issues and my engine did need to be rebuilt. I feel that my airbags may have been faulty as well. I am asking that Toyota be investigated for their practices and that I be compensated at the very least for wages lost due to time lost from work and medical expenses. Thank you for your time....updated 12/03/14

- Gresham, OR, USA

Sep 252014

Camry 4-cyl

Camry is hit by a pick up truck on the left passenger side, causing the Camry to lose control and rotate more than 360 degrees on the road but none of the airbags, even the side airbags deployed. I called Toyota and asked by the side airbags did not deploy and was told that they could inspect it but they will be charging me $99 to check why the airbags didn't deploy. I was obviously distraught over the fact that they will charge me first before they can look at a potential safety issue about my vehicle and the person we talked to just basically asked me to call back if I wanted them to look into it and hung up.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 212014

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph, the visor fell obstructing the driver's vision as another vehicle crashed into the front driver side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained back and leg injuries. The front passenger sustained neck and back injuries. Both, the driver and passenger required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000....updated 12-03-14

- Rockingham, NC, USA

Aug 202014

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving in a residential area and I was talk with my friend and I took my eyes off the road and before I knew it, it was too late and I went straight up the curb through the front lawn an crashed into the pillar of the patio and the garage. The air bags did not deploy I hit the steering wheel with my upper chest an chin and mouth then someone asked me if I was ok an said they called 911 and they helped me get out of the car an asked if I was hurt and that my air bags didn't deploy. The cops and ambulance arrived and I was immediately checked out. I told them I was ok, but my chest hurt a little and my jaw. They said I was lucky it wasn't, especially with the air bags not deploying. Updated 09-03-14

- Montebello, CA, USA

Jul 252014

I have a Toyota Camry 2008 with 31,500 miles dashboard are melty and sticky, my concern is this affect air bags also this looks like a manufacture defect due to many complains on networks. I went to a Toyota dealer they're willing to replace the dashboard and I have to pay for labor. That's is telling you they are aware of the problem. I decide to fixed but I told them is any recall comes up they will need to reimburse my money due to this is factory defect. This is a safety hazard we are not sure this affect airbags and shine reflect on the dashboard can affect your vision while you are driving.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Jul 042011

Camry 4-cyl

I have 2008 Camry and have had a melting dashboard for few years. This is absolutely a safety issue because the melted surface reflects sunlight onto the windshield making it difficult to see through the glare. In addition the melted dashboard could fuse with the airbag cover and cause it to malfunction. I question what kind of chemicals may be released in the air as well.

- Casselberry, FL, USA

Jul 212014

Camry 4-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost control and was not responding to the steering. It started swaying and hit the cement barrier on the left. This looks like a internal car failure. I have had this car for since 2008 and had bought it brand new. It is completely up to date with the maintenance and oil change etc.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Apr 132012

I was in a motor vehicle accident hitting the rear of the vehicle directly in front of me which had come to an abrupt stop. My airbags did not deploy, causing my to hit my head on the steering wheel and my knee on the dashboard. I sustained a post concussive syndrome, lost 6 months of work, and 1 year of school, not to mention the financial hardship.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Jul 262013

Camry 4-cyl

A spider got into the A/C drainage tube causing water to drip inside of the car. This caused the airbag light to go on in the car. Prior to bringing it to the dealer I cleaned out the car and noticed the floor was soaking wet under all of the mats. The dealer told me I could not drive the vehicle with the airbag light on that it is dangerous. I was informed that it would not be covered by the platinum warranty I took out when I purchased the car. I had to pay for the repairs even though it's a hazard. Today I found out that there was a recall on Camry, avalons and others but for the 2012 and 13 models. I called Toyota headquarters and they told me they would not reimburse me because my car was not included in the recall even though it's the exact same issue. I'm lucky the airbag did not deploy on it's own and cause damage to me. Please help!! thank you.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Oct 032013

Camry 4-cyl

My son and a friend were driving in a neighborhood when a driver failed to stop at her intersection. He T-boned her vehicle and the Toyota clipped her Ford Explorer making her car airborned. Her vehicle fishtailed rear end of vehicle into a tree with our Toyota attached to front end. Our entire front end is smashed in and both airbags failed to deployed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 202013

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 45 mph and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact's air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a fractured nose and bruising to the face. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was not filed. The failure and current mileage was 62,000.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Nov 252012

Camry 4-cyl

As I was preparing to cross a 4 lane highway with a median, two Georgia state patrol cars were sitting in the median. I proceeded to enter the highway when one of the patrol cars turned on his headlights. I froze, I did not know what to expect. At that moment, I was struck on the driver's side by a car speeding at 73 mph. I sustained a head injury and had to be cut out of the car. None of the airbags deployed.

- Clarkston, GA, USA

Nov 212012

My vehicle crashed into a van, there is very heavy damage to the driver side front, I am surprised to note that no air bags were deployed, even though the left front is totaled.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 022012

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that he crashed into an embankment at 70 mph and the vehicle rolled over twice. The vehicle was equipped with six air bags, none of which deployed. The police came and took a report stating the air bags should have deployed. The driver sustained a broken thumb and a passenger sustained injuries to the chest and shoulders. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. The air bag failure was not inspected. The failure and the current mileages were 97,000. Updated 7/11/12 the passenger was injured as well. Updated 07/25/12 updated 08/08/12

- Bellowfalls, VT, USA