CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2.9

2008 Toyota Camry suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 202011

Camry 4-cyl

4 tires worn out about 28000 miles. I had to replace them this is because of suspension system problem that wears out the tires very fast. Having wheel alignment does not solve the problem. I have aligned the wheels and still have wearing problem with new tires. I believe that Toyota should fix this problem and compensate the loss.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 012011

Camry 4-cyl

Started hearing noise for rear of vehicle. At 58,000 it was evident that there was a problem as the noise became louder and the vehicle just did not handle/drive properly. Took vehicle to local Toyota dealership where I have all work done in past. They advised the rear tires were cupping, and that all four of the vehicles struts were leaking to the point they must be replaced. I have never ever had to replace a strut on a newer vehicle no less all four of them. I believe that there has to have been a manufacturing defect in these struts for all four to fail around the 50,000 mile range. I also believe this could lead to a safety issue and it should be investigated by the NHTSA.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 012011

Camry 4-cyl

While turning the Toyota steering wheel, I can notice a severe clicking or thumping sound from the steering wheel. It appears there is a problem with the suspension or the struts. I took my Toyota to get it check out a few months before the warranty expired. They indicated the struts were leaking. One strut was severely leaking so they replaced it. The other strut was also leaking but not as severe so it was not replaced. However, the steering column has the aforementioned noise and I know, through internet searches, that many owners have experienced this problem. It's likely a mass defect that should be looked at asap before someone is severely injured. My wife uses the car to take my children to school so I am very concerned about the safety of the vehicle.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jul 182011

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while attempting to decelerate from 40 mph, a noise was heard coming from under the hood and the transmission jerked. The contact also stated that the front struts were leaking oil. An authorized dealer was notified and the contact was informed that there was not a failure within the struts and the jerk in the transmission was due to the way he was driving. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,200.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 172009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that there was a loud noise in the front end of the vehicle and a leakage coming from the struts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that all four struts were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer after 28,000 miles for the same failure. The dealer stated that only the front struts needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 44,000 and the current mileage was 72,000. Updated 06/02/11 updated 07/08/11

- Holliston , MA, USA

Nov 292009

Camry

I bought a new 2008 Toyota Camry in Nov 2007, at around 50K miles I heard a grinding noise while driving and experienced vibration in the steering wheel. I brought it into the dealer and they noted the strut needed to be replaced. Not soon after that repair @ around 80K miles I experienced the same noise and vibration in the wheel again and I took it to a les schwab auto shop they linked the problem to the struts and wheel bearings which caused uneven tire wear. As the car was still under warranty I took it to the dealer again, they agreed with the assessment from les schwab and replaced the struts again and the wheel bearing. The dealer agreed that I should not be replacing the struts as often as I was on a relatively new vehicle. Dealer mentioned that it is a defect and Toyota (the corporation) is aware of it and that I should be getting a letter in the mail to that effect. To date ( 2/26/10) I have received no such letter. The concern is that NHTSA has not yet gotten to the bottom of all the defects that are out there with the Camry models for the years that are now being recalled for accelerator issues. With the recent recall I had to bring my Camry in to get the gas pedal shortened and to install the shimmy to prevent the sudden acceleration. Please look into the issue with the struts as the strut housing serves as a structural part of the suspension system and it connects the upper strut bearing to the lower ball joint so that the entire assembly can then pivot when the steering wheel is turned. Struts therefore affects the driver's ability to steer and maneuver the vehicle safely, I now see that the corolla are being recalled for steering issues, I am concerned that this is not limited to only that model as my Camry had issues with steering that was linked to defective struts. Struts should not wear out as often as mine did on a new car. For the safety of Toyota drivers investigate how many vehicles from 2007 to 2010 have had issues with struts.

- Stockton, CA, USA