CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

6.0

1. door locks (2 reports)
  3. took car to the dealer and had them replace the door lock (1 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Mar 042014

Camry LE V6

TOYOTA CUSTOMER CARE LESS- Second time locks have failed. Estimate this time is $1200+. Called the Toyota Customer "Care" number, who not only hasn't called back after three months, but when I call, the girl I talked to"April" isn't there. I called probably 4-5 times, she is never there and of course, they will have her call within 24 hours. She never calls, I think this must be a fictional person. I am a older lady who doesn't have small children so i know this a defect and not worn out. At one point a gentleman who got the pleasure of talking with me about the car, said he could see a note where they could offer me up to $650 reimbursement to pay toward the $1200+ bill, but of course April would call and discuss I am insulted that they will not provide the same loyalty that I have had with them and feel they should replace the locks at their expense. At this point I don't know if I am more angry about the no working locks, or the complete lack of customer service. I have had all Toyota vehicles since 1993 and insist that my husband always use 4 Runners in his business fleet. TOYOTA =TROUBLE A couple of years ago, I had two door locks quit working on drivers side. Very expensive to replace but since over 100,000 miles(approx 102,000) knew it wouldn't be covered. I had a mechanic replace with Toyota parts(around $650 as I remember) and then about a year after, same issue except this time Drivers door and the two passenger locks are not working. Called back again today, this time a Michelle said April off again but would have Aprils supervisor call back within 24 hrs. I have not had any problems in the past so I had no experience on their customer " care", but I doubt seriously that I will ever purchase another Toyota. Any good car replacements recommended for my two 4Runners, 1 Camry and 1 Corolla?

- , Buffalo, Kentucky, USA

Dec 122014

Camry

The auto locks won't all lock at the same time. I have to manually lock each one. Electronic key is useless.

- , Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Aug 012014

Camry

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS DO NOT WORK. MUST OPEN DRIVER SIDE MANUALLY AND THEN UNLOCK OTHER DOORS FROM THE INSIDE. I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER SAID THE PROBLEM HAS EXISTED INTERMITTANTLY FOR A FEW YEARS.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 052011

Camry

My car locks takes turns not working and alot of the time only one will work. You have to manually lock and unlock the doors it didn't happen until my warranty ran out.

- , Irvington, AL, USA

Oct 302009

Camry SE 4 cyl

This was about one month after I purchased my 2009 Camry SE. The back passenger's side door lock stopped working when I tried to use the auto door locks from the button on my driver's side door, and the button on my key. I took it to the Toyota dealer, and wasted about 5 hours of my life waiting on it. I think that they said they replaced an actuator. It's funny because a few months later the same thing happened to the Driver's side door. I had to go back to the dealer, and have it fixed also. Then guess what....yep, it happened again to the passenger's side door. This was at about 34k miles. Right before my warranty expired. And now recently the rear driver's side door has the same problem. But my warranty is now expired because I have 45k miles on my car. So I guess I will be repairing this one! This is SO annoying. Does Toyota just use really cheap parts???

- , Daphne, AL, USA