CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

$3,000.00

2. repaint entire car (6 reports)
  3. clear coat peeling off (1 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Nov 062012

Camry LE

Went to the dealership to pick up this car. After buying it we have 5 days for them to re-touch and fix problems. They re-touched a ding in the 09 white camry and then that is when we noticed all the dull spots on this car. So i called around and found out how much it was to re-paint as the clearcoat had come off.

When we parked it next to my 98 volvo which is outside and dirty, my volvo was shinier than the camry.

The place said all it needed was a buff for it had overspray but when u simply poured water on some places it was dull. A good paint job is always shiny no matter if it is dirty or waxed.

Oxidation had occurred and for the price we paid 17,900, the car even with the extended warranty was not worth the price as the dealership would not re-paint it.

Was really sorry as i had had a toyota sienna for 7 years without 1 problem. The car drove like a dream but poor paint jobs only...get worse.

So check your clearcoats on all 09's.

- , Moore, SC, USA

Mar 012012

Camry LE

I purchased a garage kept 2009 Camry in white, the car was my neighbors who could not afford to pay it and I took over the payments. My neighbor used to constantly wash, and care for this car as if it was his baby. Needless to say that the paint defect is not due to neglect from previous owner. The car is white so ALL of the chips, knicks, bubbles, and stains stand out. The biggest problem I have with my paint is right smack on the middle of my hood and trunk, there is a big yellowy orangy smearlike spot on it I have NO CLUE as to how this happened or what might have caused it. Second, it has rust spots EVERYWHERE, extremely annoying cause they are the size of a pin point and I know it's bound to start peeling at any point. Third, the roof of the car has big bubbles on it. Fourth, all the plastic parts (mirrors, bumpers) are peeling. The only solution would be to repaint the car from bumper to bumper which will be very pricey. Im so disapointed.

- , Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Camry LE 4

. bought 4 Toyota car in 4 years and i will not buy any more Toyota big white dead paintspots

- , Bladenboro, NC, USA

Jul 002009

Camry LE V4

i bought my 09 camry in june of 08...i bought a 09 hyundi at the same time...maybe a month apart...it was maybe a year later that i noticed that my camry had these white dots all over it...they wouldnt wash off with any kind of auto product that i bought...i took it to my body shop and he told me that the paint was lifting...paint was contaminated when it was put on my car...i then took it to two other body shops and they told me the same thing...i then took it back to STEET TOYOTA and they told me it was from acid rain. i told them i have a hyundi same year and the paint is fine. i was told too bad lady. i then wrote to toyota corporate and they sent me back to STEET TOYOTA where i was told the same thing... to bad lady its from acid rain. my car looks aweful...i paid 26,000 for this car and its covered in white dots. please help me...

- , Northville, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Paint is peeling off from the Hood. Took it to the Dealership they are saying it is an Environmental problem meaning there is a problem with the environment where I park the Car. I have two other Cars parked next to it with no issues and those cars are 5 years older than the Camry I am having problem with. There is something wrong with the Paint not the Environment.

- , South River, NJ, USA

Sep 082010

Camry

Car paint scratches with slightest touch. Bump against it with anything hard and it will chip to the metal. Have to use shammy to wash and dry, anything else will leave lines. Very cheap paint job. I never had issues like this with a paint job before.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Oct 152008

Camry Hybrid

click to see larger images

defective exterior paint defective exterior paint defective exterior paint

The problem is pitting that is under the clear coat layer. It started only a few months after I bought the car. I took it to two different Toyota body shops and was told that it was from tree sap and that I need to contact my insurace. The problem is that if that were the case it world be on top on the clear coat. It started off small just a few pitts, but over time it has continued to expand. No pealling, just pitt dots that are only about the size of a mark from a felt tip pin. I finally took it to another boby shop and they tried wet sanding a spot, and it did not come out. This is how I found out that it is pitting from under the clear coat.

Toyota has not been helpful at all. I contacted their support/issues line and got nothing. Based on the new information, I am going to try again with a dealer. My concern is that even if I repaint the entire car, since the pitts are on every panel, without knowing the cause they may come back.

- , Brooksville, FL, USA

Mar 142010

Camry 4 cyl

Bought a used 2009 Camry. Paint had some scratches and nicks. I thought that since the car was used and had high miles, this would be explainable. I keep my car in the garage and take very good care of it, however everytime the car gets hit by any small debris it chips the paint all the way to the metal. It also scratches abnormally easy. My car's paint job is terribly damaged. I bought it seven months ago and have seen it get worse almost everytime I drive it. I have owned many cars in my life and never seen such a terrible paint job. This should be taken care of by Toyota. Will try giving them a call.

- , Branson, MO, USA

May 062010

Camry LX

The clear coat on the Camry is starting to peel off starting from the side of the car on the driver side

- , Marksville, LA, USA

Aug 072009

Camry LX

The paint of my car is very bad and I feel really not good to see other cars with a good quality of paints. I do not know what Toyota is doing? What we thought of Toyota is Quality which is now unfortunately not the case any more.

- , Jeddah, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Jan 052010

Camry LE V4

Bought brand new 2010 black toyota camry le. Right off the showroom floor. (AT night and did not notice poor paint)

Next day, noticed Paint is terribly orange peeled, I mean really seriously. Brought to dealers attention who shrugged it off and stated their all like that. I calmly walked him over to my black 07 ford expedition and then to a nearby black nissan all with smooth baby ass paint . Still hardheaded he brought the paint and body manager who at length explained toyotas poor paint process with cheaper paints than ford. WHAT A CROCK !

Totally ruined paint and many of the other camry's on this lot were the exact same. WTF!

Bringing car back under lemon law...

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 252009

Camry 4 cyl

I HAVE A 2009 CAMRY APPROXIMATELY 18 MONTHS. THE PAINT ON THE FRONT OF MY CAR IS PITTED .

- , Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 192008

Camry LE 4 cyl

I just bought a brand new 2009 Dark Gray Camry in September. We just had a major snowstorm in Boston and I went out to scrape off my car as I usually do. I used a plastic scrapper on car which I have used on all my automobiles and have never had problem with scratches. When the car dried after the storm there were scratches ALL OVER the hood of my car (it was really bad) and then scratches on the top of the car and all around the sides of the car. I called Toyota and was told I was supposed to use a special foam scrapper devise to clear off my car. First of all why did they NEVER mention that and second of all how come I have owned 5 other cars and have never SEEN Paint scratches all over my car when I clear it off after a snow storm. What kind of paint is Toyota using??? You have got to WONDER??? I am going to write a letter to Toyota headquarters that their paint is DEFECTIVE and I will need to put in a claim for a $3500 paint job (repaint the whole car). This car has less than 2000 miles on it.

- , Malden, MA, USA