CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jul 152012

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle dashboard appears to be melting. When the sun hits the shiny dashboard, there is a glare that bounces off the windshield, impairing driver visibility.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Sep 172009

Camry 4-cyl

No long after the purchase of my 2009 Toyota Camry the dashboard is oily and sticky. The dashboard now appears to be melting. The dashboard produces such a glare that it makes it difficult to drive. I think Toyota should recall these vehicles and correct the problem at no charge to the consumer.

- Margate, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Camry 4-cyl

For a couple of years my dashboard has been oily and sticky when it is exposed to the sun. I live in Florida, where it is always hot. When I am driving in the daytime, there is a glare that the dashboard give to the windshield. It is so sticky and glossy that one time I put a sun visor in the windshield to protect the dashboard and the sunvisor stuck to the dashboard due to the stickiness. The glare to the windshield from the shiny, oily dashboard is a hazard and should be fixed asap before an vehicle accident occurs.

- Miami , FL, USA

Sep 012013

Camry 4-cyl

Dashboard is melting and sticky to touch. When driving in the sun, the windshield is hard to see from the glaring of the melting dash board and limited visibility of the road.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Camry

The vinyl dashboard surface is sticky and, in areas close to the windshield, the surface has melted to a shiny, glary look. I cannot wipe it with a cloth because it sticks to the surface. Pressing lightly the surface with my fingernail leaves a deep permanent mark as the surface has no elasticity. Even light impact, such as from normal use of a sun reflective windshield shade, leaves marks on the surface. The edges of the dashboard are chipping easily.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jan 022012

Camry

I noticed my dashboard starting to melt in early 2012. At first, I couldn't figure out what the problem was or how to fix it, and later realized it was melting from the heat. I can't use a windshield mat to block out the sun because it sticks to the dashboard and leaves marks. There is no way to clean the dashboard and if you touch it, it creates permanent dents and/or marks. It's sticky and gives off a bad smell. It causes a glare and makes it difficult to see out the front windshield.

- Palm Springs, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Camry

The dashboard has become very sticky and is melting. Other interior parts are becoming tacky to the touch also. The glossy film on the dash makes it very difficult to see when the sun is reflecting off of it and creates a danger of wrecking.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Oct 192014

Camry 4-cyl

Car was left inside garage all summer. When I took it out for a ride, dashboard became all sticky and glary from the sun.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard is very sticky. Can't clean it off. It also chips very easily. It's almost plush...?? on top of all that, the glare it gives off is very unsafe!

- Lytle , TX, USA

Sep 012008

Dashboard is "melting".

- Wellington, FL, USA

Feb 012014

Camry 4-cyl

My vehicle has a sticky melted dashboard that needs to be replaced. This complaint is to support the recall of this dashboard. I contacted the local Toyota dealer and they said the dashboard was approximately $1400 that I am not willing to pay. I still owe my vehicle and should not have this sticky- mirror almost-melting dashboard. Excellent vehicle but disappointed on this part of it. It is a hazard because of the glare it causes on the road with the sun and most of the time there is no good visibility.

- San Juan, TX, USA

Apr 172012

Camry 4-cyl

Dash board melting, glares making difficult to drive and front windshield is hazzy, not clear view of road. May be melted polymers vapor I am breathing ?

- Richmond, TX, USA

Oct 242012

Camry 4-cyl

Dashbord melting can you replace it.

- Pharr, TX, USA

Oct 022014

Camry 4-cyl

The dash is melting and cracking all over the entire dash.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard has become very sticky and shiny, causing a glare from the sun. This is very dangerous while driving. I have taken the car to Toyota and they could not and would not do anything about it. I see I am not the only one having this problem and believe the dashboard should be recalled.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Sep 242014

Camry

The dashboard is sticky and produces a bright glare onto the windshield, making it very difficult to look through. I have tried to clean it thinking it was gunk or build up, but it doesn't not do any good or changes anything to the material. It continues to be very sticky. This is not only a hazard, but also very unaesthetic. This is very dangerous.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

May 212014

Camry 4-cyl

About six months ago I noticed that the dashboard on my Toyota looked very shiny and felt very sticky. As the months went on I noticed that when the car was left in the sun the dashboard became extremely sticky, and when touched, the melted material stuck to my fingers. The dashboard is literally melting., it is difficult to drive in the daylight in the bright sun, as the shine from the dashboard forms a glare on the windshield. This makes it difficult to read signs or see the traffic lights. I live in Florida where it is hot and sunny most of the time. I feel that this is a safety hazard.

- Kissimmee , FL, USA

Sep 282012

Camry

My 2009 Toyota Camry dashboard is also sticky with a hi gloss shine. I did not do any thing about it or say anything about it to the dealer because I don't drive the car much. I bought it brand new and I have only 2100 miles on it. I am really concern about it now because I am driving it more often. The sun is causes a bad reflection / glare on the window which, I can barely see through the windshield. I found that other owners are experiencing the same issue. This is a hazard and there should be a recall before any additional accident occur.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard in the car is melting. The melting is very sticky and shiny. This causes a glare on the dashboard which is very bad in the Louisiana sun, especially while driving into the sun, which I do every day on the way to and on the way back from work. This glare has almost caused me to get into several wrecks because it's hard to see. I have very sensitive eyes and I do wear sunglasses, but the glare is still very bright. There should be a recall on this issue as I see it's not an isolated issue and I would hate to get into a wreck because of it and possibly have someone or myself hurt or killed.

- Morgan City, LA, USA

Sep 262014

Camry 4-cyl

Sticky dashboard and glare makes driving dangerous.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA