Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Aug 012014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard is sticky like it is melting. The sticky stuff on the dashboard creates a glare when the sun hits it at certain angles. Also, the dashboard has cracked and I am concerned this will affect the functioning of the air bags.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Sep 242014

Camry 4-cyl

Sticky and shiny dashboard: My dashboard is very sticky and it's difficult to clean but not only that but there is the glare and when that comes up I can't really see where I am going properly. It's quite dangerous since the shiny dashboard makes even more difficult to see the road and traffic lights when sun hit right at you. In order for me to drive I have to lean down a little bit and go in between the two glare spots.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jun 152014

Camry 4-cyl

Dashboard is melting, very sticky and can create glare possibly risking driver safety.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 152013

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard has become soft and had defects. I have been advised this is a problem with the 2009 Camry.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Oct 172011

Camry 6-cyl

The dashboard to my 2009 Toyota Camry is sticky and it looks very shiny in the sun.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Sep 182014

The dashboard of my 2009 Toyota Camry is melting. We live in Kentucky so it is not just warmer weather states like Toyota states it is. The melting causes a glare that is dangerous. I have been lucky others may not. I contacted Toyota they really could care less. How many people need to get hurt before action is taken?

- Cloverport, KY, USA

May 052014

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the glue on the dashboard was deteriorating causing a glare on the windshield. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the entire dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,500.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 072011

The dashboard began to "melt" and become sticky. It has become progressively worse, to the point it is now about an 80% liquid appearance. The dash material that doesn't have the liquid appearance is extremely soft and quite easily damaged. It cannot be cleaned, as any type of cleaning cloth or sponge immediately sticks to the surface. No cleaners or protectants have ever been applied.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Sep 112014

Like many others I have read about online my dashboard is melting and sticking causing a constant glare in my windshield making it hard to see in front of me. I strongly believe this is an ongoing and dangerous issue that should be addressed by the automakers.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard has become very sticky and causes dangerous sunlight to reflect from it to the windshield. Nothing will resolve the stickiness. I contacted the local Toyota dealership and was told it seemed to be a problem with the Camry's but no offer of help. I have searched and cannot find a recall for this defect, looking up the problem on the internet, there appears to be many people with the same complaint. Please recall.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 042013

The dash board is very sticky and went the sunlights hit in directly it reflects the sun into my eyes this occurs every day. I live in puerto rico and this is my travel car every day when the sun is always shining. This make me cause to put a tinted glass paper to reduce the sunlight reflection frontal the dashboard but it continue to reflects the sun light.

- Trujillo Alto, PR, USA

Dec 022013

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard is melting and sticky. When hot gets worse and reflects light into your eyes making it hard to drive.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Sep 032012

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard constantly reflects back and seriously blinds eyesight & vision, that actually may cause serious accidents and death. I am humbly giving this "real & actual warning information" to have Toyota redesign the dashboard and recall all Toyota and fix this real dashboard problems.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Sep 042014

Camry 4-cyl

Sticky dash. I have not had an accident due to this problem. I noticed the sticky dash shortly after purchasing the vehicle, but as I had not been notified of a recall, did not report it until my last oil change. The service manager at that time, reported the sticky dash to Toyota. I called this week regarding the matter and was told by the service manager that Toyota would replace the dash, but the labor of $251 was my responsibility. I told the manager that I did not feel that the labor or any cost should be my responsibility, as it was a defect in the product and not anything that I had created. My car is parked in the garage at least 96% of the time. Having said that, I do feel that if it had been parked outside for most of the time, the problem would be much worse and over time it will most likely get worse. I watched the report on channel 5 last evening regarding this matter and hopeful that something will be done. Thank you

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 032014

I noticed my dashboard was sticky. When I tried to clean it chunks of dashboard came off. Does Toyota cover repairs or replacement?

- Palm Springs, FL, USA

Jun 012013

My 2009 Toyota Camry's dashboard has melted. It has become a sticky, shiny mess. I tried to put reflective shades in the windshield to help slow the disintegration. Upon removing it to drive the car one afternoon shortly after I started using it, part of the vinyl was melted to the shield and ripped off the dashboard leaving the orange foam showing. The safety hazard comes from the shiny "puddles" of melted dash. They are incredibly reflective and can be blinding in sunlight. The glare is distracting while driving. I cannot lay anything on the dash to reduce the glare, because the vinyl will adhere to it and peel away like it did with the sun shield. While it has not yet caused an accident for me, I can see where it may have for others. As the cars age further, more of the dash will become melted. Eventually, tens of thousands of people are going to be on the road with the equivalent of a spotlight blinding them when the sun is shining. Hopefully, a safety solution will be had before then. Another problem this vehicle has had since I bought it new, the windshield does not have good clarity when driving in the rain. I have cleaned it so many ways and replaced the wiper arms, but it has a smear, or film, that makes it highly difficult to see through in wet conditions.

- Dauphin Island, AL, USA

Sep 012012

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard starting getting sticky about two years ago. It is getting worse and everything sticks to it making marks all over the dash. It also makes my car have an unusual odor. This is very frustrating because in general the car is in good condition but this really makes it look awful..

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Aug 312012

Camry 4-cyl

I bought my can new and after three years, the dashboard of my Toyota Camry 2009 began to melt and sticks or glue to touch. I have tried everything humanly possible but nothing will work. I really want my dashboard replaced.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA