Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jul 052014

Camry 4-cyl

Sticky front dashboard on Camry that will not clean or come off, and glare on front windshield, that can cause a major accident.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012013

The dashboard of my Toyota Camry seems to be melting. I live in South fl and have lived here for years. I have owned many cars here and the weather and parking conditions have not changed. My car has very few miles on it, under 30K. The issue with my dashboard makes it hard to see and is causing a serious reflection issue. I cant imagine that this is not a product issue. No car I have ever seen has experienced this issue in all my years in fl.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard had started to become glary and it bothers me when I drive against the sun's reflection which is very shiny and when I tried to touch the dashboard, my hand had stuck to it and I then realized that it is melting. I checked with the dealership and they said that Toyota has no extended warranty or recall yet as of this time. I learned that there's already thousands of Camry owners have the same melting dashboard issue. Please have Toyota explain and take responsibility of their defective product.

- Midlothian , TX, USA

Jun 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard is melting which causes glare. It makes it difficult to see while driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012014

My dash is melting it is sticky and shine that makes it hard to see during the day. This is nasty and unsafe.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Jul 292014

My Toyota, Camry's dashboard is melting and this is causing driving safety issues. The sticky, melting dashboard is causing a glare to my window and it prevents me from seeing the road properly, potentially casing a fatal car accident.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 132013

Camry 6-cyl

This is complaint about the dashboard covering on my 2009 Toyota Camry. If I need to file this complaint on a different website, please let me know. From what I can tell almost everyone who has a late model Lexus or Camry is having this problem. The dash covering begins to melt and becomes very sticky. The covering starts to come off if you try to clean it and then a very shiny surface appears and reflects off of the windshield making it very hard to see unless you put something over the dash to stop the reflection. This seems to be affecting every Camry for several model years and very obviously is a defect. I have heard Toyota will give up to a 50% discount so they acknowledge the problem, but until there is a recall it costs the consumer 300 dollars. This seems unfair to me.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard has gone from its splendor to now a melted, sticky, shiny, glary, dashboard. In fact, a dragon fly landed on the dashboard, got stuck and died (legs are still embedded in dashboard). Besides not holding up to the Toyota slogans ("who could ask for anything more?" "I love what you do for me, Toyota!" "let's go places") which emphasize the positive experiences of ownership, and vehicle quality, the dashboard has become unsafe and my vision is obstructed.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jul 312013

Dashboard is melting.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Jan 022012

Camry 4-cyl

Dashboard is coming apart and steering wheel as well took it to the dealer and they said my car was out of warranty.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jun 152011

Camry 6-cyl

Approx. A year and a half after purchasing 2009 Camry ( new ) noticed dashboard becoming tacky / sticky practically at point of melting. Was told by dealer there's nothing they could do. After seeing report on news 7/29/14, I now am happy to see that we aren't they only consumers having this problem. Seeing that warranty is no longer in affect yet still making payments on vehicle, I feel it only fare that manufacturer and or dealership should make good on repair or replacement.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Jul 072013

Camry 6-cyl

Dashboard is melting when in sunlight or heat. It also reflects on the windshield making driving in daylight dangerous.

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

May 292014

The vehicle has a rattling noise under the hood that no one can figure out the problem. Took it to the Toyota dealer and completed the work that they said I had to do but the rattling noise still continues. I also took it to a certified mechanic who cannot figure out the problem either.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Sep 012012

Camry 4-cyl

I purchased the car in October 2011 and approximately 6 -9M months later noticed the dashboard was melting. Took the car back to the dealership who stated it was out of warranty and I would be responsible for replacing it at a cost of approximately $3,000. I then contacted Toyota who stated that they were not able to help as there was not a recall. The problem has continued, the dashboard is soft to the touch and disintegrates when touched has deep gouges from my fingernails touching it and shows scrape marks from the dashboard protector that I use every day.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Camry 4-cyl

The dash is sticky and seems to be melting. You can touch it and it will leave an impression. A couple of cracks have also developed. This car is not that old. I am concerned about the safety of the airbags due to the breakdown of the dash. I also did not pay the price I did for an automobile that would look like this after only 6 years. I called the dealership and they said it would be about $1500 to replace the dash. I don't believe I should have to pay for this. There should be a recall.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Jun 012013

The dashboard is really sticky and has gather debris from my sunshade. There are also some cracks forming. I went to the dealership where I bought it from and was told the same thing. That it's out of warranty (since it's 5 years old and 42K miles) and I can't really do anything about it. If I wanted them to look at it, I would have to pay $115 for a diagnostic test. The guy who helped me even looked for any recalls but found none. So now I just have to deal with it. I can see it becoming a really big safety issue because it reflects onto the window area of the driver's seat.? some people's dashboards are worse than mine because of the sun. I feel like a couple years down the road, I will be unable to drive because it is so reflective during the daylight. This has been a very common problem, but Toyota has done nothing to fix it.

- Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Jul 122014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard is melting and reflecting onto the windshield.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Jun 032013

The dash board is melting and very sticky to the touch. It also is very soft and easily knicked by touch removing a piece of the dash. You can not clean the dash because the cloth will stick leaving lint behind. I have never used any cleaner of any kind to clean the dash. I have always used a dry cloth for cleaning.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Camry 4-cyl

Dashboard all of a sudden became sticky and shiny. As I was cleaning the windshield one day, the paper started to stick to the dashboard and I still can't remove it. I tried with several products to neutralize the dashboard, without success. I brought the car to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and asked them for their advise. They told me that they never observed anything like that and only could offer to replace the dashboard for approximately $1500. The sheen on the dash also creates a glare on sunny days, which create a safety hazard. I personally think its a product defect and Toyota is avoiding a recall. I am 67 years old, and have owned many vehicles in my lifetime. This is a first. It really needs to be investigated. Sincerely, very disappointed

- Wellington, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Dash board has melted. This needs to be a recall. I went to Toyota of stuart fl and they said they would pay for the part but I have to pay for the labor. The labor is $400 who can afford that. I think they need to replace it for free. When im driving my finger nails end up getting stuck in the dash. You cant open or stretch you fingers when they are on the wheel. Then you are trying to get the sticky dash board off your fingers and out from under your nails. It distracts you when you should have your eyes on the road.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA