CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Dec 012014

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the dashboard melted and there was a sticky substance that caused a glare on the windshield. The failure caused the contact's visibility to be diminished. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Holiday, FL, USA

May 052015

Camry

Melting and sticky dash and I have not received a letter concerning this. There was a recall but I have yet to receive any information that will allow me to have it replaced.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Jan 222013

Camry 4-cyl

Approximately January 2013 the dashboard in my Camry began to get extremely sticky. I went to the dealer in March or April 2014 and they told me they could not do anything about it, but they knew about it.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 022015

Camry 4-cyl

I have owned this car since new, living in New Jersey never a problem. Moved to Florida and the dashboard seems to be melting.it is extremely sticky and shiny causing a glare on front windshield that makes it very hard to see when driving. I have tried to clean it with soap and water to reduce the glare and it doesn't seem to do anything.could you please tell me if there is any recall on this car.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Feb 012015

Camry 4-cyl

In 2012, I started to notice the beginning of my dashboard melting on my 2009 Camry. This has gotten progressively worse as time went on. The entire surface of the dashboard is sticky and shiny. I cannot even touch my dashboard without leaving a fingerprint. There is a puddle of melted dash closer to the windshield. My main concern is that the melted dashboard creates a glare when I am driving which is distracting and dangerous. Thank you.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 232012

Camry

My 2009 Camry dashboard is melting. The leather console between seats has cracked.the electrical system keeps shorting out. All cigarette lighters/charger locations have shorted out including the aux. A week after buying my car the safety feature to lock place mat in place broke. Nearly causing a car wreck as the place mat lodged in between the gas and brake. The radio, location where speedometer, clock, and service lights locations are fogged up and getting worse daily. When I took my car to the dealership about the dashboard I was told, "it was my fault. Probably caused by a cleaning product." Which I knew was entirely not true. Cigarette lighter covers have dry rot and broken, plastic/leather has dry rot under all 4 windows leaving scratch looking marks, dry rot paint by stick shift is peeling. Headlights fog up easily with water in them. I was in a car wreck a couple of years ago.when I was going about 10 mph and a vehicle ran the red light hitting the right side of vehicles front area. They were going at least 45 mph. No airbag deployed. Underneath front of car is a plastic piece that keeps falling down. Some days I am unable to take car out of park unless I turn the wheel, "hard". I have never received anything via mail about any recalls on my vehicle. I still live at the same address! took car to dealer again about front passenger window and driver side window not being able to roll down or up windows. I had to pay quite a bit of money to have fixed. Passenger window switch is broken and still is just like drivers side was. Was told" it was most likely because someone tried to break into my car." Which I knew was not the case. I am very disgusted and considering filing a lawsuit against Toyota. I bought a lemon car! I keep my oil changes up to date, fluids, filters, etc.I have never felt so disappointed in a vehicle purchase in my life. I'd like a full refund.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Aug 012014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard of my 2009 Camry is melting. It creates a dangerous, blinding glare. I am concerned that is will cause an accident. I have called my local dealer and was told that there has not been any recalls of the dashboard. It is very sticky and cannot be cleaned with anything as paper sticks to it when wiped. This is truly a safety issue. There are several issues with the dashboard that need to be addressed and quickly. Please investigate these issues and recall the dashboards to help save lives.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Sep 072011

Camry

The dashboard on the vehicle started melting and peeling. If touched the plastic on the dashboard will come off.

- Alton, TX, USA

Jul 142014

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the dashboard was melting and left a shiny and sticky substance on the surface. The contact mentioned that when the sun shined on the dashboard, it created a glare that blocked the contact's visibility. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 36,000. Updated 3/13/15

- Spanish Fort , AL, USA

Dec 092014

Camry

Toyota Camry 2009. When dash heats up it starts shining and cause glare on windshield, it causes obstructive vision to the driver's visibility of the roadway. In addition, the material on the dashboard would become very sticky as if it were melting.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Camry

Toyota Camry 2009, bought car 2 years ago. Every summer dash heats up start melting and cause glare on windshield needs to be fixed, cause obstructive vision and excessive heat almost unbearable. In summer very sticky to the touch no accidents as of yet but concerned with the over heating and cating fire. Bf updated 8/17/2015

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 012010

Camry

The dashboard gets real soft and sticky when the sun hits it. It makes a glare and causes distraction while driving. This could also affect airbag operation.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The dash is very soft and cracking. It is very shining and gives off a glare which makes it difficult to see. No commercial products have been used on it. The dealer in bradenton fl says they don't know what is wrong with it and I could replace it for about $2200 dollars as it is not under warranty. While searching the web for a solution I came across many others who have this problem. My husbands 2006 Tacoma does not have this issue, in addition, the newer models all redesigned dashes. Toyota needs to stand behind their product and replace the dash. It takes away from the resale value.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Camry

The dashboard of my Toyota Camry 2009 has become very sticky. I have tried to clean it but cannot remove whatever is making it sticky. This became noticeable about 5 months ago. While searching the internet for a product to clean the dashboard, I have only found multiple complaints concerning dashboard sticky and melting problems from other Toyota Camry owners. I reside in Florida, which is one of the states with the majority of complaints are coming from. Some owners report that the dashboard is causing extreme glare coming from their sticky dashboard making visibility an issue. During the summer months I use a windshield cover in my car and have had all of the windows tinted to cut down on the heat in the car.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Nov 102014

Camry

The dashboard of my 2009 Camry is melting. It creates a dangerous, blinding glare. I am concerned that is will cause an accident. I have called my local dealer and was told that there has not been any recalls of the dashboard. This is truly a safety issue. I really hope a body count is not needed to investigate this issue. Not only is the glare a problem, but the concern about the airbags deploying properly, is also a concern. The other issue is who knows what chemicals are being released into the car. There are several issues with the dashboard that need to be addressed and quickly. Please investigate these issues and recall the dashboards to help save lives.

- Summerville , SC, USA

Nov 052012

Camry

I have a Toyota Camry SE, and my dashboard is sticky and blinding. It has melted a lot. It is so shiny seeing becomes nearly impossible because of the glare, and is now a safety concern.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 012010

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jul 022012

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard is melting causing a glare from the sun.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Dec 142012

Camry 4-cyl

My dashboard is peeling and melting. When I drive my car, the sun reflects on my shiny melted dashboard and causes a glare on my windshield. The glare makes it hard to see through the windshield and makes it hard to drive on certain hours of the day.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 312014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard of my car is melting and becoming very shiny. The dashboard is so shiny that I have to wear sunglasses to drive because of the excessive glare on my eyes.

- Doral, FL, USA