Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Apr 292015

On my way to work and another driver just rammed his struck against my car his tired ended up on top of my car it was a hard hit and I even thought I had my seat belt I my airbags did it go off at all the impact was so hard and I would like to know why didn't my airbags deployed my question is do I have any airbags that really concerned me and would like Toyota to look at my car as soon as possible in my opinion my airbags should have went off I was hit by a bigger veichle and I would like Toyota to take reposability since I had witness that saw the accident and testified that I was not at fault if there is no airbags in my car it's new to me because when I went to buy the car the only thing high was the mage and I was promise that if anything went wrong with the car Toyota will be responsible for it. I think that Toyota took advantage and was trying to get rid of the car so I got the wrong end of the deal. If I find out I never had any air bag si should no be reponsie le to pay a die out of my pocket.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Sep 232012

My 2009 Camry dashboard is melting. The leather console between seats has cracked.the electrical system keeps shorting out. All cigarette lighters/charger locations have shorted out including the aux. A week after buying my car the safety feature to lock place mat in place broke. Nearly causing a car wreck as the place mat lodged in between the gas and brake. The radio, location where speedometer, clock, and service lights locations are fogged up and getting worse daily. When I took my car to the dealership about the dashboard I was told, "it was my fault. Probably caused by a cleaning product." Which I knew was entirely not true. Cigarette lighter covers have dry rot and broken, plastic/leather has dry rot under all 4 windows leaving scratch looking marks, dry rot paint by stick shift is peeling. Headlights fog up easily with water in them. I was in a car wreck a couple of years ago.when I was going about 10 mph and a vehicle ran the red light hitting the right side of vehicles front area. They were going at least 45 mph. No airbag deployed. Underneath front of car is a plastic piece that keeps falling down. Some days I am unable to take car out of park unless I turn the wheel, "hard". I have never received anything via mail about any recalls on my vehicle. I still live at the same address! took car to dealer again about front passenger window and driver side window not being able to roll down or up windows. I had to pay quite a bit of money to have fixed. Passenger window switch is broken and still is just like drivers side was. Was told" it was most likely because someone tried to break into my car." Which I knew was not the case. I am very disgusted and considering filing a lawsuit against Toyota. I bought a lemon car! I keep my oil changes up to date, fluids, filters, etc.I have never felt so disappointed in a vehicle purchase in my life. I'd like a full refund.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Sep 092014

Camry 4-cyl

The brake and ABS lights came on. The speedometer and odometer fell to zero. Sometimes the odometer would jump up and down for a few seconds. The temperature gauge drops to zero. The engine sounds like it's about to turn off but does not. A/C does not give off cold air. Gear light indicator goes off or indicates drive gear no matter on what gear.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 302013

Camry 4-cyl

I turned on my Toyota Camry 2009 hybrid in the garage and was immediately met by numerous warning lights, an audible warning buzzer, and a message in the dash message center that read "check vsc." I was going to drive the car to a mechanic but discovered that when I backed out of the garage that there was no braking action. They had completely failed. The car was placed on a computer which provided error code C1256 and C1391. Both codes indicate ABS/vsc/trac malfunctions. I brought the vehicle to my local Toyota dealer and supplied a computer print out of the error codes. The problem was diagnosed as an internal leak in the ABS accumulator module resulting in a loss of hydraulic pressure to the brakes. Cost of replacement with labor was quoted as $3,700. I did some research and discovered numerous complaints by other Toyota owners with identical problem I encountered. I also discovered that Toyota has redesigned the ABS annunciator module. I contacted Toyota corporate headquarters in California who denied any a problem with the part. If they are unaware of the problem, why did they redesign the part? this problem is extremely dangerous as in resulted in total brake failure. I was extremely lucky that my issue manifested itself while the car was parked and not at 70 mph on an interstate highway in heavy traffic. One website set up by someone who experienced this identical problem had thirty five entries in the guest book. Everyone had the same problem.

- Bloomington, MN, USA