CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 032010

Camry

Cnn is giving bad advice on Toyota gas pedal problem I disagree with the advice provided by omar panjshiri, a certified Toyota technician at the chantilly repair center in chantilly, Virginia. According to the report, he stated that: "if the pedal is stuck in a depressed position, here is what the driver can do: (I) shift the transmission to neutral; (II) turn off the ignition switch; and (III) apply the brakes and pull over." Mr. Panjshiri explained that with the engine cut off, "you will lose some power steering assist, but you will still be able to steer the vehicle to a safe stopping position." This is very bad advice. The transmission should not be shifted to neutral. If the pedal is stuck in a depressed position, the driver should turn off the ignition switch and apply the brakes. The driver should not shift the transmission into neutral. The transmission keeps the engine going, helping to slow down the car, and it keeps the power steering assist working. A few years ago the gas pedal return spring broke on my car while I was driving. I immediately turned off the ignition switch and applied the brakes. This response should be taught in driving classes.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jan 252010

Camry

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry. On my way home from work around 10:00 pm on 1/25/10. My car shut off while I was driving. I was driving on a two lane road. While pressing on the accelerator and passing a semi truck. As I pulled back into my lane my car just shut off. The check engine and battery light came on. I pulled the car over to the side of the road.and would not start. When I would start the car and put into drive the car would turn off. Then I waited for about 20 minutes. And tired again and it worked just fine and the check engine light turned off. Next day I took it to the dealer and they advised my there might have been some debris in my gas. I always fill up super. I am filling this complaint because I found out today that they are investigating the electrical throttle control on some Toyota's and thought this might be helpful. Thank you

- Burlington, KY, USA

Jul 202009

Camry

I bought a 2009 Toyota Camry le in September 2008. I was still driving my old car until I sold it in March 2009. When I started driving the new car more, I noticed that occasionally the car would hesitate and it seemed like it was in neutral for a couple of seconds when I let go of the accelerator and step on it again. This happens maybe several times a month. Since I got stuck in the intersection for a couple of seconds, that really scared me. People were waiting for me to cross the intersection, but my car wouldn't go. I can see someone rear-ending my car in the future because of this problem. The car also gets stuck in the middle of the road when I slow down and then step on the accelerator. I googled the problem and found that many, many people have the same problem. Use the words "2009 Camry" and "transmission problem" if you want to google it. People complain that the transmission slips. I believe that is what my car is doing. I brought my car to the dealer to have them fix the problem yesterday. They had my car all day for that and a 5,000-mile service. I was so disappointed when I got my car back and they said that the transmission was normal. They test drove it and didn't get that problem. I am really concerned about this because my car is under warranty and I complained about the problem and the dealer said that it is normal. There is something wrong with that! I think that is a dangerous car and the dealer is denying that the car has this problem. I feel like they do not honor their warranty. The consumers are being ripped off. I also complained about my vent button releasing every three minutes on cold, rainy days. They also could not duplicate the problem. So, I am still stuck with that problem and nothing has been fixed under warranty. Please investigate and have Toyota recall the cars with transmission problems. New cars should not be like that.

- San Carlos, CA, USA