Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 222015

I was driving and my car's low engine oil light came on. I brought it to Toyota and this employee helped me pour in 2.5 quarts of oil. This is in between the maintenance scheule. After getting an oil consumption test from Toyota, the employee told me that Toyota's standard is that we can lose a quart of oil for every 1200 miles. I brought my car back to them after 1,000 miles. They said that my car passed the test, I noticed that they added a quart of oil to my car. This is so not normal! I just received the extended warranty notice a couple of weeks ago. It defeats the purpose of notifying us if Toyota denies that our cars have the oil consumption problem. This powerful company is bullying everyone. A lawsuit does not help get our cars fixed. Please recall the cars. Otherwise, you are letting Toyota get away with bullying behavior. Thanks!

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Nov 192015

Water pump fail on 79800. Start make crank noise and then antifreeze star spill all over.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Jul 072015

Ran some errands in the vehicle. Was running perfectly. Got home and shut the vehicle off to unload groceries and when it was started back up to park in the barn it blew a head gasket. There were no warning lights that came on prior at all prior to this event. Took to Toyota dealership and it was diagnosed with cylinder #2 misfire, rough idle, white smoke coming out exhaust which was caused by the blown head gasket.

- Danville, IN, USA

Nov 012015

Camry 4-cyl

Oil level low for 2009 Toyota Camry serviced within recommended service intervals. Oil change by dealer 06/08/13 at 62,444 miles. Oil change by jiffylube 02/22/14 at 67,433 miles, reporting oil level 1 quart low on arrival. Oil change 09/27/14 by dealer at 71,774 miles. Oil light on ~06/29/2015 followed by oil change by jiffylube 07/01/15 at 76,277 miles, reporting oil level 1 quart low on arrival. Oil light came on 10/30/2015 then check engine light on 10/31/2015. Stopped by jiffylube 11/01/2015 at 78,035 miles to learn oil level was once again 1 quart low. Fluids topped off by jiffylube. However, check engine light remains on. Please let me know if other such reports exist, if this has been identified as an issue, is being tracked and next steps. Thank you.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 222015

Oil change done June 22,2015. Went to local mechanic to check all fluids before drive to tampa. Oil level very low. Had oil added on August 22,2015. On October 27, 2015 I noticed a red light on left side of dashboard saying maint says time for oil change. Sticker from toyato says next oil change 95,330 miles, im only 94,100 or close. Is there a recall. I contacted Toyota customer service and was told that there was an oil problem, windshield wiper and sun visor problem, which I had not recognized the oil problem. I thought the dealership had just neglected to put the right amount of oil in doing the oil change. Prior to problem I received possible recall notice for something else. Campaign # id#15V577 reference # 878051. I will be calling Toyota (autonation) in pinellas park about problem. The light comes on whenever I start up the engine and stays on for about 2 to 3 minutes while driving.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 082015

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle lost power. The accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed coolant leaking from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle had previously been inspected by an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and was towed to the contact's residence where the water pump was replaced by an independent mechanic. Afterwards, the vehicle failed to start. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,500.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Jul 032013

Camry 4-cyl

Letter to senator cornyn on behalf of constituent re Toyota defect letter for his Toyota model. 2009 Toyota Camry. The consumer stated Toyota sent him a letter regarding an excessive use of oil defect with his vehicle. The consumer stated he spent several months trying to work with Toyota concerning the repair. He submitted all the necessary documents Toyota requested. But in the end, they denied his claim, due to lack of documentation. The consumer has since had the vehicle fixed, at his expense.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Sep 162015

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While driving at 65 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- North Ridge, CA, USA

Sep 092014

Engine oil dries up after some days after oil change without any leak or anything. It is happening so many times that I made sure and checked engine oil and after 20 30 days there will be no oil in engine and the engine warning do not come on. There is no leak uder the car. I made sure by putting cardboard under car so if ther is drip I can see. I checked with so many mechanics last 3 years no one knows why this is happening.

- Monroe, NJ, USA

Aug 182014

The car uses an excessive amount of oil. The problem started around 45,000 miles and continues to get worse. Toyota knows about the problem, and has sent me a tsb. Under the tsb they will top off your oil, seal up any way that oil goes in or out and you drive 1000 miles and they measure the oil to see if you have lost a full quart. I have never in my 40 years of driving had a car that lost that much oil. Toyota is avoiding taking care of their customers. They should be forced to fix it. They know they have bad pistons.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jun 102015

Camry 4-cyl

Car had no oil left in it after 5000 miles and just getting oil change at that time. Was told my 2.4 engine is known to "eat" oil per service tech and Toyota is doing an "oil consumption test" on the engine after I put 1200-1300 miles on new engine oil. Car went through 4.5 qts of oil in 5000 miles! not burning out exhaust and not leaking anywhere. Service tech advised this is known problem. According to them, after "oil consumption test" if my car "eats" less than a quart in 1100 miles that is acceptable! that is not. I know 20 year old cars that don't burn or leak or "eat" oil at oil. This known issue with the Toyota 2.4 engine should be recalled and owners given a new engine or compensation. I cannot keep putting oil in car every 1100 miles! Toyota needs to be held accountable for a defect they are aware of. I was lucky to not have taken my car on long trip and have engine seize up on me on highway causing a possible crash. Please help with this problem. I know others have similar complaints with NHTSA and also other websites and wanted to bring mine to your attention also. Thank you very much!!...updated 07/30/15

- Verona, WI, USA

Nov 012014

Excessive oil consumption recall: Over the last year I noticed my oil consumption was drastically increasing. I started burning through oil and having to add a quart every 2 months and now monthly. In the past few months, a very large plume of white smoke would spew out of my tail pipes; not just a little but a large cloud of smoke. It has a very burnt smell to it too. The smoke dissipates after the car warms and as long as the car is warm, it will not smoke. It only smoke when the vehicle has been off for over 2-3 hours. I was told by a certified Toyota mechanic that I need to replace the engine due to faulty internal parts. He stated it was the reason for such a high level of oil consumption. I discovered that Toyota is currently recalling certain engine blocks due to oil consumption defects, however my VIN number is not part of that recall as of now. According to Toyota, my VIN could eventually become part of the recall (oil consumption recall) but as of now, it is not. I don't understand how a major manufacturer will not stand by their product and repair my engine considering they are already recalling other engines with the exact same issues I am having with my Camry. This was my first Camry too. Very disappointed with Toyota.

- Mira Loma, CA, USA

May 212015

I purchased my 2009 Toyota Camry in 2008 after graduating college. I have always serviced my car as required per the Toyota manufacturers guide to have it serviced every 5,000 miles. The last three or four times I had to take the car at least 500-1000 miles before the required service mileage. About 90% of the service maintenance was performed at the Toyota dealership. Per the Toyota service package, the technicians are suppose to do a through inspection of the car to notify any areas of concern to the customer. I read a tsb that was issued by Toyota in November 2011 regarding excessive oil consumption due to a defective seal or piston ring. Recently before I hit the road for vacation, I was checking my tire pressure and decided to check my oil levels. The car was not suppose to be serviced for another 500 miles and their was no oil on the dipstick..nothing came out. I took my car to the nearest jiffy lube and asked the mechanic to look under the engine to see if there was an external oil leak. The mechanic checked and said no oil was leaking on the outside. He told me there could possibly be engine oil burning up, which is why I pulled the Toyota tsb. This is very concerning because I wouldn't want my engine to lock up driving at a high speed down the freeway. Toyota should be held accountable for the manufacturing defect and should investigate the matter. There is a class action lawsuit against Toyota for the above matter and I will be sharing my story. Thank you

- Stafford, TX, USA

May 182015

At intermittent times, most noticeably while braking or turning or both, warning light and sound activates. Checked just recently, no oil on dipstick. Suspect excessive oil consumption manufacturer defect on my year and model which is not being addressed by Toyota.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decreased in speed, unknown warning lights illuminated, and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not able to be driven. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,300.

- Riverdale, IL, USA

Jun 152014

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the service oil warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was consuming an excessive amount of oil. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician advised the contact to bring the vehicle back at intervals of 1,200 miles and another time at 1,500 miles to check the oil levels for the manufacturer standards. The technician informed the contact that the piston ring possibly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Oak Brook, IL, USA

Mar 012011

I have to put a quart of oil in it every 900-1000 miles (5 quarts between changes which occur at 5K). It's not leaking (I park in same spot daily, it's being consumed in the engine, and I've recently heard of a recall and have rec'd info. At my home from Toyota about a potential recall).

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Camry 4-cyl

Toyota engine excessive oil consumption. There is almost no engine oil left after driving about 1500 miles.

- Troy, MI, USA

Dec 172014

Excess engine oil consumption. Engine oil keep disappearing. Have to add more oil every week or two (that's less than a 500 miles to burn a quart or 2 engine oil!) to bring it back within the acceptable level. There is no visible leaks, no blue smoke indication. It is dangerous if engine suddenly fail when driving. This seems a common manufacturing defect from Toyota (T-sb-0094-11: 2az-fe engine oil consumption).

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jun 102014

Camry 4-cyl

Traveling on cruise control at 60 mph on freeway - heard rattle and metallic sounds so I pulled off to side. When my mechanic opened up the oil pan there was no oil and lots of small metal shards - blown engine. As it happens I had scheduled the routine maintenance (every 5000 mi.) so all I saw on the dash display was the usual scheduled maintenance message - no low oil notifications or, anything out of the ordinary.

- Novato, CA, USA