Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Aug 202011

The arms of the motor mount are defective causing the vehicle to shake heavily at a stopped position or even stall when vehicle is in reverse with the brake slightly released. My previous 1999 Camry had the same issue. The dealership replaced, in August 2011, one of the arms on my 2009 Camry due to cracks in the mount yet the issue is re-occurring again.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Sep 052012

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle burns approximately 2+ quarts of oil between changes. Oil change and maintenance is every 5,000 miles as recommended by the dealer and performed at the dealer. The car now has 56,120 miles on it. I explained it to the dealer and they are performing an oil consumption test. I have read about many complaints with this 4 cylinder engine and the burning oil problem.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 172013

Camry 4-cyl

Ref: Toyota service bulletin "T-sb-0094-11" dated Aug 11, 2011 background: Car purchased in 2011 as a certified used Toyota, approx 34K miles, currently has about 72K miles issue: Parts in the engine are known to create problems by Toyota, customers not notified and most of the complaints I've read are of customers with mileage upwards of 60K who have now been advised by Toyota that they are responsible for the costly engine repairs. Toyota analysts/adjusters informed me that since only about 4% of the Toyota engines are affected by this bad engine part they are not doing a recall. I asked them why I hadn't been informed in writing of this known defect and their answer was that they only advise their technicians. This information could have helped me be more alert and understand why I was having to perform so many oil changes and to also prompt me to get my car tested at a Toyota facility. My car was still running, the engine didn't seize up. The piston parts that were bad finally broke but since Toyota claims it was a "failure to maintain lubrication" issue they feel they are not liable. They also said I should have been checking my oil every single time I turned on my car!!! well I'm gathering all of my documentation of my service maintenance records and will be retaining a lawyer. I truly believe it's just a matter of time before more customers come forward and this becomes the next civil action lawsuit against Toyota.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Aug 262013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that that the vehicle burned a massive amount of oil. The vehicle was burning two quarts of oil between oil changes or every three thousand miles. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but no cause for the failure was found. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Mar 062013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle was consuming oil excessively. The contact vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 84,000.

- Wallington, NJ, USA

Jan 092013

Camry 4-cyl

Engine overheating after a few blocks drive oil burning too fast went to the dealer before my warranty expired but no help they waited to find the problem until my warranty was expired now they don't want to fix it unless I pay $5,000 out of my pocket with 2,000 reimbursement I see no reason for this if I went in before my warranty was out. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me fix this problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 182012

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that he heard an abnormal noise under the hood. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be inspected. The failure was located at the water pump, which was fractured and leaking fluid. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,834 and the current mileage was 65,096.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Oct 182012

Had oil changed on 6/8/12 mechanic informed there was not much oil in the engine -mlg 93235. Went to Toyota-08/08/12-mlg 95739. We had added oil-1.5 qts on 08/04/12. They inspected oil level. Oil level at proper level-told to come back in 1000 mls and not to add oil. Came back on 8/30/12-oil level-found engine 2 qts low after driving 1040 mls.we were told to call customer service complaints and talked to monique. She requested some oil change receipts. We were able to submit 12 receipts with documented mileage. We also submitted an oil consumption report from Toyota that included the 2009 Camry and other models and years. The introduction of the Toyota technical service bulletin dated 08/11/11 states "some 2006-2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2az-fe engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption..." on page 6 of this bulletin, point 6 states, "determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1200 miles. Was the oil level more than 1 qt low after 1200 miles of normal driving? yes-go to repair procedure no-this tsb does not apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is 1 qt per 1200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed." Monique contacted us back and asked us to perform oil consumption test one more time. At that time, the Toyota mechanics found engine oil 2.5 qts low after 1,503 miles."remove spark plugs and inspected cylinders with boroscope -found vertical scoring on cylinder walls due to improper piston and ring fit." Monique contacted us after this finding and offered that Toyota would pay $3000 to fix this and the total cost is a min. Of $5,500. We have to pay $2,500.min. To rectify the issue. This car was purchased new not knowing there was a piston/ring fit problem. The problem appeared after warranty expired. This was their problem from the start.

- Lowell, IN, USA

Nov 202012

Toyota motor Corp. Has issued service bulletin # T-sb-0094-11 dated Aug. 11, 2011. This sb describes the diagnosis and repair of Toyota motor cars and trucks using the 2az-fe 4 cylinder engine. These engines have a defect resulting in excessive oil consumption. Excessive oil entering the combustion chamber does not burn with the fuel air mixture. It enters the exhaust system as unburned fuel. In the exhaust system there is a device called a catalytic converter. This device has a normal internal operating temp. Of 500-1000 degrees F. oil entering this device is like "pouring oil on the fire" which results in exhaust system overheating anf fire. Further...excessive oil entering the comsumption chamber results in engine spark plug fouling and mis-fire. Engine mis-fire results in a most very serious consequence...namely...catalytic conv. Overheating and fire. When a spark plug fouls, it does not fire and ignite the fuel and air in the cylinder. Result? raw fuel enters the exhaust system including the catalytic converter. Now you are "pouring gasoline onto the fire".I suggest you folks investigate this engine defect, and determine if Toyota needs to recall the vehicles having this 4 cylinder engine. If this excessive oil consumption problem is not addressed, to include those vehicles out of warranty, there is a potential for life threatening under hood and under car fire to occur on these high mileage vehicles.

- Branchburg, NJ, USA

Jul 112012

Camry 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph when a loud noise emitted from the engine area. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The contact inspected under the hood and noticed that the engine dip stick reading indicated a zero oil level. One quart of oil was dispensed into the engine however, there was an excessive oil leak which required oil to be dispensed in the reservoir every 1,000 miles. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000. Updated 1/23/13 the consumer stated after further researching the failure, it was found to be an enviornmental issue. A complaint has been filed with the epa and carb. The consumer has requested for the original request for an investigation to be disreagrded. Updated 02/11/2013

- Branchburg, NJ, USA

Oct 232012

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while turning the vehicle stalled. The contact stated the vehicle resumed normal function after it stalled. The contact did not take the vehicle to a local mechanic or a dealer. The failure mileage was 56,091.

- Fuquay Barina, NC, USA

Apr 192012

Camry 4-cyl

While backing out of my garage unto the driveway and then into the street, it caused a unintended acceleration while driving in reverse, causing almost a 90 degree spin and I had to slam on the brakes for it to finally stop. This happened once on 4/18/12 and then again the exact same thing happened again on 6/8/2012. The first time it happened I thought it was something I did and then when it happened again I knew that "something was really wrong" and when I realized the danger over that weekend I parked the car in my garage and have not driven it since. Now I am hearing of car door panels catching on fire for 2007-2009 Camry...I will not even drive this car, it will be towed to the dealership this week. I will not be killed or kill someone waiting for something happen. I will never buy another Toyota product again.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA