CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.2

$1,680.00

2. replace engine block (8 reports)
  3. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (8 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (2 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 272010

Camry LE 4 cyl

This excessive oil consumption started immediately. When I reported it to Toyota they claimed it was normal however as time goes on the problem is getting worse. I go thru at least 8 qts of oil in a week and this is not a cheap fix, $2500 to fix it or a new engine which will cost $6,000 or more. It is not covered under a warranty.

I think it is ridiculous that Toyota knowing it is due to defective piston rings is taken no responsibility for it .Watch what you buy !!!!!!

- , Whitinsville, Mass, USA

Apr 132012

Camry LE

My first car and what a shame. 50K miles and I need to check oil level every 800 miles just in case .

I took my car to dealer, they want to run a test which would state the known and charge me money for it. I say no thanks. Problem is not solved. I continuously check and add oil as needed. It is annoying.

Who would have known that Toyota would be such a miserable investment.

No more Toyota for me. Bad experience, too bad for Toyota because it's my last time I'm doing business with them.

- , Rego Park, NY, USA

Jun 132013

Camry SE 4 cyl

I purchased my car new in 2009, thinking I had made a wise decision in puchasing a good reliable car. It was brought to my attention in June of 2013 that my car had a low leveal of oil when I took it in for regular maintenance. Thought that was strange because I service my car on a regular bases at 5000 miles. I started to notice white smoke coming out of the exhausted pipe in the morings. I took it in to the dealer and they sealed the car up and was advise to bring it back after running it for 2000 to see how much oil the car had consumed. Surly they said don't worry everthing is ok, no need to worry. After reading about other people out there having the same problem, it makes me SO UPSET! Toyota knows about this issue and has not declare it a recall problem, what the hell are they waiting for!!!! with this experiance I will never purchase a toyota again! I am going to fight this and I hope we can all do the same. I worked very had for the things I have and this is not aceptable!!! Please if you are reading this and are having the same problems please fight back!

thanks,

Bee Palacios

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 312013

Camry LE 3.2L

Transmission failed for the car when came out from Elgin Toyota & Sion in Elgin on Feb 12th 2014

at the mileage approx 13600.00

Paid $2200.00 to AAMCO to rebuild the transmission. Still have problem in the car.

Very Frustrating as the car was kept single handed with complete records for maintenance by Paul y Toyota

in Crystal lake & Elgin Toyota & Sion in Elgin IL.

Called Toyota Motors many times but they did not help.

- , Elgin, IL, USA

Oct 252013

Camry LE 4

I have a 2009 Camry 4 cylinder. It has 71,000 miles on it. About 10,000 miles ago (2 oil changes ago), I checked my oil and found it barely registered on the bottom of the dip stick. I was stunned. I added a quart of oil and went on. After having service performed at Toyota again, I checked the oil after a trip and it was a court low. This started out of the blue. I brought this up to my local Toyota dealership who informed me that it was normal for a Camry to burn a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. I was stunned. I have owned many vehicles and never had an oil burner. I change my oil every 5,000 miles faithfully. What is going on? I ask my dealer for a copy of the form they showed me where it was normal oil loss and they have yet to provide a copy. They have started an oil consumption test where I have to go in every 1,200 miles to register the oil loss. Just what I bought a Toyota for, a faulty engine. There needs to be a recall on this as I have heard from a reliable Toyota mechanic it is a problem with the piston and rings which requires a new short block. Big bucks and a black eye for Toyota, so they are going to fight this. They need to remember we all put down a lot of money for a supposedly reliable car only to be fed stories about how it is acceptable to lose a quart of oil every 1,200 miles.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Camry LE 2.4L

I bought brand new from Billpages Toyota dealer. The engine burns oil, first at 12000 miles, is lost 1 quart every 5000 miles. I asked Toyota dealer, they said it is normal. Year by year I have changed the oil every 5000 miles, I have to check every 1500 miles and add 1/2 quart of oil. It just burns more oil. The engine block has no leak at all.

Should the Toyota manufacture have to an extended warranty for the Toyota Camry 2009 because It has been defected for customers to make fair with them.

Vinh Nguyen

- , Sterling, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Camry LX 4 cyl

When I brought my Camry I thought this was the best car, but I found out later. I'm a single parent in school full-time and this takes money out of my family pocket that isn't there. Dealership lies to get the sale for the day and I can't afford to buy another car with my finances. I feel like they stole from me and my family.

- , Rich, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Camry 2.4L

I bought this car brand new in August 2008 [it is a 2009] and have taken excellent care of it. Oil changes every 3,500 miles with tuneups as required. I first noticed the car was very low on oil about 8 months ago when the red light came on. I immediately took it in to Gas Station and am told it's 2 quarts low. I added oil and at next Oil change reported it to my mechanic. He said no oil leak anywhere. I continued to have Oil changes every 3500 miles. Then over this past weekend, Red oil light came on again, and I found it with hardly any oil on dipstick. I added 2 quarts Oil immediately and brought car to my Mechanic on Monday. They checked for Oil Leaks, no oil leak anywhere in engine. Reported it to Toyota, they said it's normal for car to use one quart of oil for every 1200 miles so that means I'd consume 3 quarts of oil in between Oil Changes. No way, they are lying! I had a Honda Accord that went to 195,000 miles and never had a problem with burning oil. I run all of my cars to 150,000 - 195,000 miles and take good care of them. I am outraged, how could this be happening to me when I take care of the Engine? Today I took car to Toyota as it has 83,000 miles and they want to do an "Oil Consumption" test. Toyota acknowledged that the 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder Camry has had problems with Oil Consumption!!! I am devastated! I am out of work/only working part time, I do a lot of driving, a single woman, and I can't afford to have this problem. I will never buy another Toyota.

- , West Long Branch, NJ, USA

Mar 202009

Camry XLE 2.4L

My 2009 Toyota Camry XLE uses approximately 2 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles. I add oil every time I check and see it is a bit low. This is my 5th(and last) Camry I have owned. Car has 58k miles.

Dealer where I bought the Camry and have it serviced tells me this is a common problem with this model. When I ask why Toyota does not issue a recall and fix the problem, I am told the problem is not significant enough to warrant a recall. It is rather significant to me. I can only imagine the expense to Toyota if a recall was issued and repair attempted on all Camry's affected. At my last oil change the dealer started what they call an oil consumption test. I have to take the car back to the dealer every 1,000 miles so they can see how much oil level has dropped. This is a major inconvenience to me as my wife drives this car to work every day. I don't know what this is going to prove except for the dealer to say "yes, your Camry is burning oil".

Service writer suggested I consider something called "BG Performance Oil Change Service". If I understand correctly this is supposed to clean rings and improve compression. I don't see how this would help with the problem. I am only in my first 1,000 miles since last oil change so I will wait and see how it goes over the next 5,000 miles.

- , Hartselle, AL, USA

Oct 032012

Camry LE 3,2

I brought a 2009 Camery with 60,000 miles June 2013 , one month later my oil light came on after checking the oil I noticed it was 4 quarts low ,after 1000 miles later a added 2 more quarts , no oil leaks so what is the problem . Toyota need to do something about this on going problem.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Camry 2.4L

This was my first new car that I ever purchase and I was excited I told my son he would be driving it to college but at 66,113k miles right at the time when the warranty expired the darn thing started to consume a ton of oil. I was driving one day and had to apply the break really quickly the the oil lamp came on I thought to myself the brake has nothing to do with the oil and I had another car that did the same thing and I lost that on which is how I ended up buying this Camry in the first place so I was very shocked to see this sign again so I pull over to the nearest gas station and check the oil in the car the oil stick was bone dry and I had 2000 miles to go before my next oil change I was livid.

I call the dealer and let them have it, they told me to bring the car in a let them do a oil consumption test they first change out the (emergency oil) that I put in just to get over there then they told me to go a 1000 mile and come back for a recheck I did, they told me they did no find a problem. but if it happen again this time at a next Toyota dealer they had me going 1200 miles twice between the 5000 mark that Toyota recommended for the oil change, at the last time the conclude that the car was burning 1.5quart per 1000 miles and it was suppose to burn 1quart per 1000, they suggested that I start changing it at every 3000 mile.

I did it and had the same problem I now know all the service clerks and shuttle driver. Finally they told me to bring it in again this time they recommended to have them take the engine apart which the tech. say would not worth it, because the mileage was over 100,000 he suggested that it would cost way too much it would be better if put that money towards getting a new car. now I am stuck with this car, now between oil change I keep adding 4-5 quarts which is costing me an extra 50 bucks a month I am not happy at all.

- , Heverhill, MA, USA

Sep 232013

Camry ES

I bought a used Toyota Camry in October 2012. It had 50,000 miles on it. I had the oil changed in November 2012. I had driven the car only 2500 miles after the oil change and when I would go around a curve the oil lamp light would flash. I had the oil checked and it was 2 quarts low. So I had a certified mechanic add the proper oil to my car. In another 2500 miles this happened again so I took the car to the Toyota dealer and had the oil changed again. It was 2 quarts low. I have had the oil changed at least four times since the first time. When I ask the dealership to look at my car because it is using oil they look at me really funny. I believe I just bought myself some trouble. I said I would never own another Toyota after my experience with the first one. I should have bought the Chevy Cobalt and not listen to my son. Never, ever buy a Toyota.

- , Garrett, KY, USA

Sep 092013

Camry LX 3.2L

Well let me start off by saying that I work my butt off to take care of my kids. I never ask anyone for anything, and I sacrifice a lot to make sure that my kids are taken care of. I've been working at the same place since I was 19 yrs old, so when I finally was financially available to purchase the car I really wanted, I did. I deserved it! Almost 2 yrs to the day, I purchased a 2009 Toyota Camry. I had been renting them for years, and I thought it was a wise financial decision. It was the newest car I have ever had in my life and I was so proud of myself. Back in May, I started hearing knocking and I was told by Quik Stop Oil, that my car was burning too much oil. In June, I took it in to a Toyota Dealer for the knocking and informed them of the oil consumption. I ended up having to get $2000 worth of work, including a waterpump. Fast forward 3 months, I was scheduled for an oil change the end of the week, however my Oil Lamp light came on when I tapped the brakes. I immediately thought, oh no! I take it in today for them to tell me I have to replace the engine block, because of the oil consumption. $1389 teardown in order for the outside warranty company to make sure that it's the problem. $6000 worth of repairs. If the Warranty company decides to deny the claim, I have to either pay them $1379 to take care of the tear down, or $6000 out of pocket for the engine. I can't afford this, especially because I still owe a sizable amount on my loan. If a miracle doesn't happen, I'm without a car, because I can't pay to get it fixed. What am I supposed to do? I never thought this would happen when I bought Toyota, this car is not that old with major problems. I expected something like this from Ford or Chevy. I'm so hurt and disappointed and maybe carless.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 172013

Camry LE 2azfe (2.4L

REF: TOYOTA SERVICE BULLETIN "T-SB-0094-11" Dated Aug 11, 2011

BACKGROUND: Car purchased in 2011 as a Certified Used Toyota, approx 34k miles, currently has about 72k miles

ISSUE: My car engine's oil consumption had gotten so bad between 40k-65k that I started having oil changes every 3,000-3,500 miles not realizing that this was somehow abnormal. I just thought it was kind of weird considering I had to keep getting oil changes more than twice a year, which was what I was used to with my Mitsubishi Montero Sport. But, the oil lamp indicator never came on, just the service maintenance indicator, so off I would go to get an oil change. However, recently one day in August 2013 (note: last oil change in June 2013) I drove two blocks away from home, heard a light knocking sound at first that only got louder. I knew I had a POWER WINDOW RECALL to get done so I drove right back home and called Toyota service who advised me to come in for both issues.

RESOLUTION: Toyota Service techs checked the car and after about a week gave me the bad news! I've been advised that due to low lubrication in the engine I am responsible for replacing the engine and they will not pay for the repairs under the Extended 100k limited power train warranty. This after talking to the Extended Warranty Customer Service, Toyota Experience Customer Service and my local Toyota Service people, and expressing my concerns about the research I uncovered for myself once I learned of the bad piston assembly from the above referenced Toyota Service Bulletin. Toyota offers me a "Goodwill Credit" but the repair costs thru Toyota are still more than double what it would cost to repair/replace the engine on the open market. I have a 2011 Toyota Camry LE with not nearly as bad of oil change issues as I had but due to this experience I am talking the time to post on this site to warn people before they decide to buy a Toyota.

Toyota Analysts/Adjusters informed me that since only about 4% of the Toyota engines are affected by this Bad Engine Part they are not doing a recall. I asked them why I hadn't been informed in writing because that could have helped me understand why I was having to perform so many oil changes and to also prompt me to get my car tested at a Toyota facility who perhaps would have caught the problem before my engine blew up. My car was still running, the engine didn't seize up. The piston parts that were bad finally broke but since Toyota claims it was a "failure to maintain lubrication" issue they feel they are not liable. But I'm gathering all of my documents along with my service maintenance records and will be retaining a lawyer. I truly believe it's just a matter of time before more customers come forward and this becomes the next Civil Action Lawsuit against Toyota. Please contact me if you want to share notes or help each other build a case Thank you and I really hope this helps even if it's just one person. :)

- , Elgin, IL, USA

Apr 202012

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

I came in under warranty noticing the used Camry I had bought in November 2011 and had a oil change done in January 2012 that there was barely any oil on the stick. Brought in to Toyota and they said it was a faulty oil filter that was used by a non toyota dealer that was faulty. But when I changed the oil that night there was no oil dripping from the filter and nothing was ever leaking on the ground. Like most complaints on here I have to add almost a three quarter of litre (Quart) per 1500 miles. Unacceptable. they said it must be a litre per 1500 miles.

Anyhow Canadians should join the lawsuit and we should have an excessive oil consumption page on facebook.

- , Fredericton, New Brunswick, canada

Oct 012012

Camry

I can't believe Toyota. I was always told to buy one, well now I can say I am sad I did!!!!

- , Fitchburg, MA, USA

Oct 012012

Camry LE 4 cyl

My car has been burning oil excessively. Toyota admits that this is an issue with certain models but claim that burning a quart of oil in 1000 miles is normal. That is absolute nonsense. If that is the case, then I guess they should be sued for lying and telling me when I purchased it that I only had to change the oil every 5,000 miles. There is a class action lawsuit brewing here for sure. I am playing their game now while they tell me to repeatedly peform "oil consumption" tests. I checked my oil 2 days after they did an oil change. I had 2.5 inches of oil on my dip stick. 1100 miles later I have only 1.5 inches of oil on my dipstick. Do the math. Something is grossly wrong here.

- , Pikesville, MD, USA

Apr 202013

Camry ES 2.4L

last month did check oil in the car and notice that need about half quart, so put some and check level. normal. on 5/8/2013 check the oil and needs half quart again, less than 1000 miles. looking to join lawsuit against toyota. plaese let me know how can join? thanks

- , Vacavillle, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Camry SE 4

I owned 2 other Camrys before, one a 2003 LE and another a 2005 SE. Unfortunately the 03 was totaled and the 05 hit 165k so decided to get a 09 Camry SE. What a nightmare since day one, at about 3500 had sunroof replaced due to loud rattle noise in cabin, at 11000 loss of coolant due to radiator leaking, then the gas pedal recall, window switch recall and visor recall. And now at 76000 it's an oil burner even with following the maintenance schedule. Toyotas slogan moving forward, I will definitely follow directly to the Hyundai dealership to pick up my new 2013 Azera, never thought I would buy this brand but what a let down from Toyota. Best of luck with your oil burning, over rated, loss of value and falling reputation.

One more thing to point, the Camry 4cylinder holds 4.5 quarts of oil but yet they find that it is acceptable for the car to burn a quart of oil in 1000 miles, so to all who keep theirs please don't follow the recommended schedule as its every 5000 because you be out of oil at 4500 miles, my my how the mighty have fallen.

- , New Castle, DE, USA

May 142013

Camry SE ?

I have driven 3000 miles since my last oil change and the oil is at the bottom of the dipstick. The miles were mostly city driven and without any excessive wear or tear in the driving. I changed to synthetic oil thinking this would improve vehicle performance but I am wondering did this compound the problem. I don't believe I need a huge repair at this time, however if the problem persists what is the approximate cost to repair the engine block or whatever? I owned Corolla in the past and it too experienced excessive oil consumption problems thus I'm wondering if this is a problem with many Toyota vehicles???? Never again..............

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA