CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

2. replace engine block (12 reports)
  3. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (10 reports)
  4. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (10 reports)
  5. rebuild engine (9 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (8 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Jan 072016

Camry LE 4-cyl

Engine light came on, followed by the oil light when braking. Took the care in to get checked out and I was told there was only 2 qts of oil in the engine. It had only been about 2500 miles since the last oil change. No leaks or smoke. The reason I bought the Camry in the first place was so I needed have to deal with crap like this.

Update from Feb 7, 2016: The Camry was down about a quart after less than 1K miles. Low and behold I got a letter from Toyota stating they have a problem and are extending the warranty for this problem to 10 years or 150K miles. Let's see what they find.

Update from Feb 18, 2016: Responding to an email from Paul M. The source of the letter I received was Toyota Sales (I don't have the letter in front of me). The letter states, if you car is found to have the problem the warranty will be extended to 10 years or 150K miles. I've started the oil consumption test and have been instructed to return the car between 1150-1300 miles to determine whether it qualifies for the warranty extension. Now I was at the Toyota dealer on a Monday morning and there were at least two other parties there for the exact same problem. One of them was just completing the test and I heard the service manager tell them that the test had failed and that they would contact them for a repair date. Judging from the letter, it sounds like Toyota is having to ramp up manufacturing of the parts so there may be a significant wait to get the car fixed. I will keep this post up to date as things progress.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 012015

Camry

Everytime we go in for an oil change they say the car is low. I have to add a quart or two to make sure it makes it to the next oil change.

- , Smith Station, AL, USA

Jan 112016

Camry

A few days ago the "low oil pressure" light flickered. Last evening 1/10/16 it flickered a few times. This morning 1/11/16 I had my cousin check the oil level and he said it was extremely low and had me go to my service place and they had to add 3 quarts of oil! I am very diligent in having my oil changed and car maintained. This has never happened before. I am due for an oil change in 700 more miles and they will check it out at that time. I am not happy about this!

- , Russellville, AL, USA

Oct 252015

Camry LE

Purchased car Nov 2014, ( 2nd owner) drive very little so first oil change after purchase was Oct 25, 2015 at recommended (5000) mileage 85,000. Oil was 1.1 qts low. My Valvoline dealer will monitor oil consumption for me to establish a pattern. No oil warning or usage noted. I am a single 74 yrs old female and I am really angry as I thought this would be my last car to purchase. I have joined a class action suit for this issue.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

Jun 282008

Camry LE 2.4L

This car is a nightmare on oil consumption!! It's at the point that I'm using more oil than gas. We had the oil consumption test done on this car at the dealership and it FAILED!!! This was in May of 2015. When I called the other day to see when repairs would be started, I got the nice brush off that the parts were still on back order from Toyota. The service tech told me that I could come by the dealership & they would put oil in it for me as needed, but I'm not local and the commute to the dealership is approximately an hour & 1/2.

We are really disappointed in this car and I feel that we're getting the brush off on the repairs!!

- , Newton, NC, USA

Jun 042015

Camry

Had the OIL CONSUMPTION TEST PERFORMED. They replaced the RINGS and the PISTONS the first time. Picked my car up , reported it was running bad, they stated the rings needed to be seated . OK then the oil light came on ! Guess what NO OIL in the engine. Took it back they kept my car for 3 months to replace the block ! Still wasn't fixed right. They kept it one more month to replace the block and the heads . Called to check on the status, he told me the lifters and the exhaust wasn't working right. ok got my car back and it sounds terrible. It shaking really bad! It sounds like the engine is tapping , as if the lifters need to be adjusted! But Ray Brandt Toyota says that is acceptable! Like really ! Where is this acceptable ? Would you accept this? When you start up your car and its sound Loud you can here it from the back if the car and its shaking your arms, chest and head!

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 102015

Camry LX 2.4L 4-cyl

Been having problem with my oil being low. I took it to Toyota place where I purchased the vehicle. The first time was the technician forgot to screw the cap on tight, so I lost oil. The second time I had a oil consumption test and they stated every thing was ok. Bit a few months later. I was having the same issues with my car knocking and it was because of low oil. The oil light came on but it wasn't time for the change based on the sticker that they provide when you get your oil changed. So this time I had no oil, the light never came on and I had my father put three quarts in. By Monday it was back to just the first hole on the stick. Toyota then stated that maybe the technician didn't put enough and I should check it at least once a week. At this point I have 139159 miles and my sticker says next change is 141676 and it's not going to make it. It obvious something wrong and my car doesn't smoke or anything. Toyota need to find the problem and fix my ride.

This is getting very frustrated and as a lady I usually trust in the company since I get every oil change from where I purchased my vehicle that they will do whats best for my car. But looks like the run around is truly in affect

- , Macon, GA, USA

Jul 072015

Camry XLE 4

Using a quart of oil every two thousand miles. Not acceptable

- , Port Ludlow, WA, USA

Jul 012014

Camry LE

My 2009 Camry began being low on oil each time I would have oil checked. Dealership suggested doing oil consumption tests, series of three checking every 1200 miles. I began in July 2014. Low every time. I have extended warranty, and they refused to cover. Toyota refuses to fix it, saying it is "normal" and not needed. I have done two, three 1200-mile oil consumption tests, driving an hour each way to the dealership. After receiving a notice from Toyota recognizing the problem, dealership told me yet another oil consumption test was required by Toyota. They put seals on my dip stick, oil cap and said not to check oil until returning at 1200 miles exactly. Mind you, I did not see if the oil was overfilled. Of course, when I returned the oil was not low! They said I could do another test in 6 months. Just a bunch of crap. This is my third Camry. So disappointed in Toyota. And DO NOT EVER BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY. They will not honor.

Update from Apr 7, 2016: I received a letter from Toyota six weeks ago recognizing the oil consumption problem and to take in for testing. I did this YET AGAIN with my dealership. I went back, as instructed, at 1100 miles this time. The car was a quart low. They put oil in it, and gave me a PASS on the oil consumption test. What ?!?!?!?!

Yes, Toyota says a quart of oil burned every 1100 miles is a Pass. Give me a break. Again, so disappointed in Toyota.

- , Middlesboro, KY, USA

Jun 032015

Camry LE 4 cyl

I had a problem with my Camry idling very rough when it was in drive at a stop. And even worse if the air was on. After taking it to the dealer for the 4th or 5th time. There was FINALLY a mechanic who reads the memos and checked the oil. There was less than 2,000 miles on the most recent change so he thought it might under the oil consumption problem with this engine.

He filled it and sealed everything up and put a tag on it when to return for a check. This was at 1,200 miles.

I brought it back at 1,100 miles because was going out of town and didn't want to go over the 1,200 mile limit that was set. It had used 1 quart of oil in 1,100 miles, and I was told that Toyota said this was normal.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

That's exactly what I told the service writer. How can this be normal? I'll have to add an extra 3qts of oil through the life of each oil change!!! I thought Toyotas were supposed to be good reliable cars that last almost forever.

Not if you don't add a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

Because come oil change time you'll be 3qts low and your main bearings will be starting to go!!!

I really liked this car and wanted to keep it for a long time. But after finding this out I don't know how safe it will be if Toyota won't admit it's fault and replace the engine.

- , Joliet, IL, USA

Dec 012011

Camry SE 2.4L

I bought this car mainly because of the current rating and low depreciation, at least that I was told back in 2008, however I was very astonish to find out it started consuming oil, about 1 quart on every oil change (5000 miles) on about the 3rd year of purchased. I took it to the dealer and to my surprise they told me that oil consumption of 1 quart every 600 miles was acceptable and sure enough the owner manual states the same. Today my car is consuming 2 quarts before every oil change with 125,000 miles and I do not think is going to get any better, it will get worse with more miles. I have owned several vehicles and never has oil consumption problems, currently own a Honda Fit 2008; the oil change is performed every 6,000 - 7,000 miles and not a drop of oil is burned.

I think our government or someone should intervene in this matter, I do not believe just because Toyota manufacturer makes a mistake in their engines design process, a fixing solution to that problem (oil consumption) would be to write it as normal in their user manual, it simply should not be accepted as right.

Imagine your self checking your engine every so often and buying oil to fill it up every 600 miles...it is simply an inconvenient not found in other vehicles...

- , Boqueron, Puerto Rico

Sep 172014

Camry

This seems to be a problem in this model of car. The excessive use of oil is a problem because eventuality it is going to have to be fixed and it is going to cost over 5k. Toyota is responsivble for this because I am reading and researching this is a DEFECT in this model.

- , Dyersburg, TN, USA

Jul 112014

Camry LE 2az-Fe

My Camry has excessive oil consumption. I went to get an oil change last summer and the guy said the car had no oil so he couldn't change it!! No oil light has ever come on! So since then I check the oil every 3 days! And I add oil every time.

I recently receive a letter from Toyota about the excessive oil consumption. My car is past the warranty. Even though they knew about it Toyota has done nothing to fix it. I called about the so called test. The first dealer said to bring it in and the would do the test. Oh but you have to pay $60 for the oil change and then come back to check it every certain amount of kilometers. And yes, the dealer said of course its normal to burn so much oil.

The second dealer I called told me a little more information. So even if you PAY $60 out of your pocket doesn't mean they will fix your car because I was told that you have to have EVERY SINGLE oil change ever done on your car since you bought it!!! or your warranty is null and void.

Toyota's doing every thing possible so they don't have to fix their defected vehicles!! They asked didn't you bring your car to Toyota for all your oil changes?? I said no I'm not rich! I'm a single hard working mom who goes to Walmart where the oil changes are $30!!! I love my Camry never had any other problems but this stupid oil problem.

So bottom line Toyota is ALLOWED too call this problem a warranty ENHANCEMENT rather than the real problem which should be a RECALL!! but then Toyota would have to foot the bill! Imagine taking responsibility for their products!!!! So I'm stuck with no help and a defected car!

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

May 302015

Camry LE 2.4L

Last time to change the engine oil, I observed that my car lost about half of 4.5 quarts. Wow, I thought the dealer put in the less amount when I put in for service. Now I know many people have this issue. Let see what Toyota will do about this. I guess I will start checking oil every 1000 miles.

- , Dora, GA, USA

Jan 052015

Camry LE 2.4L

My 2009 Camry is burning up a quart of oil every 1,100 miles and the dealer says this is normal.

- , North Royalton, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Camry ES 4

Checking the oil at every gas fill, and very concerned that oil must be refilled at every other gas fill? Really? What's going on?

I thought every engine needs oil to survive. Come on Toyota. You are supposed to be a reliable car. That's why I bought another Camry.

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 012013

Camry LE 2.4L V4

I bought used clean title 2009 Camry 2.5l V4 in 2013 at 115000 miles, and have to add engine oil every 1000 miles or every month. Toyota dealer sent me a recall warranty defect saying Toyota know about the engine oil consumption defect, and they try to correct the problem but do not know how yet. When they find the solution, they will contact me to have the car fixed. All I can do now is just wait, hopefully not forever. Also the radio stop working when parked under the sun and work after it cooled off. I will not buy Toyota. Thank you, God bless.

- , Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Feb 132013

Camry LE 4 cyl

Every time I got an oil change after a few years, it was always 1/2 quart low after 5000 miles. This last time it was 1 quarts low after 5000 miles. I'm now losing a quart every 5000 miles with 86,000 miles on it. That should be "excessive!"

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 262013

Camry SE 4 Cly

I purchased my 2009 Toyota Camry SE in March of 2008. I have always kept up on the required maintenance per the manufacturer. About 90% of the maintenance was performed at the Toyota Dealership and they are suppose to do a thorough check of the car indicating any area of concern with the car. The area of concern can be brakes, hoses, tires, etc. It's all labeled on the checklist.

The last time I had my oil changed was at Don McGuil Toyota in Houston, TX. I was alarmed because my engine began clicking as I was driving to the dealership to have the maintenance service performed. The engine had almost no oil in it, there was no oil as far as the dipstick could go. I informed the mechanic and they said the engine was okay. This clicking on the engine was between 500-1000 miles before the maintenance was actually due. At Toyota, I get the 5,000 mile maintenance done on my car.

The last three times I had my oil changed were at Jiffy Lube and Louetta Automotive and was serviced for oil up to 5,000 miles. Last week, I was checking my tire pressure before I hit the road for vacation. I checked the oil and there was no oil on the dipstick and my car was not due for an oil change for another 500 miles. I went to Jiffy Lube and they serviced my car for 5,000 and the technician told me the oil was probably burning up in the engine. The mechanic said he did not see any external leaks of oil from the engine.

After incurring this twice (that I know of) I am very disappointed because I have been a loyal Toyota customer. I found a TSB that was issued by Toyota in 2011 about defective seals on the the piston ring that could possibly cause a leak internally or where the oil is burning up. This is very disappointing that my oil is being burned up because of a manufacturer defect in the engine design. Toyota should be held accountable and do the right thing.

- , Houston, USA

Mar 012015

Camry

I have an excessive oil leak and when I took it to the dealer they decided that it needed in excess of $4,000 worth of work before they could test it. I have never in 36 years had problems with Toyota but this is the first use car I bought and I have had to put a lot of money in it. Now, I do not have $4,000 for them to test why I HAVE THE PROBLEM THEY ARE CONCERNED ABOUT. EXCESSIVE OIL.

- , Santa Clarita, CA, USA