CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

2. replace engine block (13 reports)
  3. rebuild engine (10 reports)
  4. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (10 reports)
  5. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (10 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (9 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Jan 152016

Camry LE 3.2L

Took Camry into Janzen Toyota Stillwater OK for Oil consumption test and after 1000-1200 mile test it used 1 full qt. In my book 1 quart of consumption in 1000 miles is too much. Now I have to wait 5000 miles or 6 months to go through this "TEST" again. I think this is a racket and Toyota is not willing to fix their problem. If not, why waste the stamps to send me the warranty enhancement for this problem, When they know it is a PROBLEM!! Waste of my time!

- , Blackwell, OK, USA

Apr 012016

Camry

I just bought this car on March 4, 2016 after having to get rid of my Corolla due to an auto accident that was not my fault. The salesman was very much in a hurry to get this car in my possession. I should have known there was an issue. I called to complain about the oil level and they want me to pay for an oil change to do an oil consumption test. After doing more research - I see it is a known issue and there was a class action lawsuit and they still have the nerve to ask me to pay for a portion of it.

I never had an issue with my other Toyota - and this actually deters me from wanting to buy another. I used to think that Toyota had the best service - but now - I would say no. They know this is an issue and they should have inspected the car better. Toyota certified inspection my Arse!

- , Lehighton, PA, USA

Jun 092014

Camry LE 2.4L

Have been facing excessive oil consumption for more than a year. The oil consumption test "passed"per Toyota standards the first time. Meanwhile the problem got really bad. Had to add oil every 2k miles.toyota refused to test again as reportedly oil consumption test can be done once in 6 months.

Finally completed the re test today . It FAILED.

I have known this for almost 2 years, but Toyota officially acknowledged the problem today!

Someone will call me for engine rebuild and it "should" be covered under extended warranty. I was told that the actual repair may take a few months..

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 152014

Camry LE 4 Cil

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

How many Toyota cars are polluting our world? They don't care about it. They care just about profit... This is the Kyoto protocol to TOYOTA With Canada....

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 062016

Camry LE 2.4L

Received letter from Toyota to take car in for an oil consumption test. Took the car to Prime Toyota in Boston and was told the oil pan gasket needed to be replace before the test. I told the service advisor that car is not leaking any oil, I had changed the oil and filter the night before and all was bone dried around the oil pan. Advisor told me there was a little seepage in one of the corners and it would cost $420.00 to fix it.

Got my car out of there, got home and got underneath to check and there was no leak. Service advisor refused to perform my oil consumption test until I got the oil pan seal replaced, which is unnecessary. I felt that from the get go he was bothered by me going in for help.

I have been a Toyota family for 30 years. I guess after this experience I will never buy another Toyota. I called the Toyota consumer hotline and am waiting for a call. My car has been burning about 3 quarts of oil in 1200 miles. Toyota motors is not the same that I knew years ago. I am extremely dissatisfied with this dealership.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Oct 012012

Camry LE

I have been adding between 2 and 3 litres of oil, every couple of weeks, for over 2 years. Ridiculous. Not buying Toyota, ever again .

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 042016

Camry SE 2.4L V4

i had my camrry for about 2 months now i bought it used, i bought it was 133450 miles on it and now it was about 135k miles i barely even put 2k miles on it and it broke down on me already. as i was driving my oil light, engine light, and battery light came on at the sametime and the car just turned off. i took it to the dealership and they said it was the oil consumption. wow barely 2 months ive had it and they suggest to replace the engine. they gave me a rental for however long it takes to fix it. but this shouldn't be happening. thanks a lot Toyota you suck!

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Jan 302011

Camry LE 2.4L 4-cyl

Purchased brand new 2009 Camry in late '08. Had all regular maintenance performed meticulously by the selling dealership. By the 3rd year of ownership, the excessive oil consumption problem became noticeable. Servicing dealership insisted that this was "normal", and to "keep a close eye on it".

The sheer volume of oil being consumed (despite no leaks and no smoke from anywhere) was not only expensive, but a constant worry. Now I am reading on this forum that some people have received an extension of their engine warranty by Toyota to appease owners with this problem. We've not received any word on such a warranty extension from Toyota or our dealership.

Now that we're looking to purchase a replacement vehicle, this issue with this car is preventing us from moving forward (despite it being in immaculate cosmetic condition). Who would want to buy this vehicle without the assurance that this problem will be addressed properly by Toyota instead of getting the runaround until the engine fails?).

Anyone know how to obtain this extended engine warranty or how to get the problem fixed under the original warranty (as we have documentation of the service manager's admonition to "keep an eye on it" while it was still under manufacturer's warranty)?

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 092016

Camry SE 2.4L 4 cyl

Just got Warranty Enhancement Notification - ZE7 from Toyota on my '09 Camry SE. So I went out to check the oil level and its 1/2 quart low @ 61,456 miles. I change the oil & know it is always at the complete full after setting for 30-60 minutes after the change. They will only cover 10 years on this issue and i will not get to the excessive mileage for that period. Just starting process. Will keep CC.com informed.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 012014

Camry LX 2.4L I-4

My Camry is eating oil like kids like coca cola. I need to ass 2Qt every 1.5 K. No oil leaks. It is burns it...

- , Atlanta, USA

Jan 012015

Camry LE V6

I bought the car from someone else in 2014. The oil consumption situation was an issue and I was doing the oil change almost every month to two months. I never got a letter of the recall or anything else.

The oil change light barely turn on. It did when the car was already almost empty and I needed to run and do an oil change very quick. One day the light was on at all times and the engine light went on too.

I took it to the mechanic and they couldn't got figure out the problem quick enough and suggested for me to take the car to the Toyota dealer.

Just a few days later, on my way home with my kid the car broke. It stopped in the middle of the freeway and it was towed to my home. I never made it to the dealer. When a mechanic came home to look at the car and open the motor, a piece was broken in the inside (I have the picture). That same day, I picked up my mail and there it was a letter from Toyota with the VIN number of my car, asking me to take to car to the dealer for a test on Excessive Engine Oil Consumption.

I don't know what to do. I call a Toyota dealer and they said to bring the car for the test, but the car doesn't move.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Dec 102015

Camry LS

Less than 60 days after an oil change by the Toyota dealer, an inspection found a nearly empty oil reservoir. Toyota did an oil consumption test and set everything was normal. I then drove 400 highway miles only to have the dipstick read low on oil again. Now I have to wait six months until I can do a second oil consumption test. In the meantime I can't even drive one leg of my regular trip to families without stopping to check in and oil.

Also, the service manager told me that running the engine with nearly no oil with extremely low oil would not hurt the engine - that there would not be any excessive wear when the oil was several quarts low. Preposterous!

What happened to the credibility of Toyota?

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 072016

Camry LE 4-cyl

Engine light came on, followed by the oil light when braking. Took the care in to get checked out and I was told there was only 2 qts of oil in the engine. It had only been about 2500 miles since the last oil change. No leaks or smoke. The reason I bought the Camry in the first place was so I needed have to deal with crap like this.

Update from Feb 7, 2016: The Camry was down about a quart after less than 1K miles. Low and behold I got a letter from Toyota stating they have a problem and are extending the warranty for this problem to 10 years or 150K miles. Let's see what they find.

Update from Feb 18, 2016: Responding to an email from Paul M. The source of the letter I received was Toyota Sales (I don't have the letter in front of me). The letter states, if you car is found to have the problem the warranty will be extended to 10 years or 150K miles. I've started the oil consumption test and have been instructed to return the car between 1150-1300 miles to determine whether it qualifies for the warranty extension. Now I was at the Toyota dealer on a Monday morning and there were at least two other parties there for the exact same problem. One of them was just completing the test and I heard the service manager tell them that the test had failed and that they would contact them for a repair date. Judging from the letter, it sounds like Toyota is having to ramp up manufacturing of the parts so there may be a significant wait to get the car fixed. I will keep this post up to date as things progress.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 012015

Camry

Everytime we go in for an oil change they say the car is low. I have to add a quart or two to make sure it makes it to the next oil change.

- , Smith Station, AL, USA

Jan 112016

Camry

A few days ago the "low oil pressure" light flickered. Last evening 1/10/16 it flickered a few times. This morning 1/11/16 I had my cousin check the oil level and he said it was extremely low and had me go to my service place and they had to add 3 quarts of oil! I am very diligent in having my oil changed and car maintained. This has never happened before. I am due for an oil change in 700 more miles and they will check it out at that time. I am not happy about this!

- , Russellville, AL, USA

Oct 252015

Camry LE

Purchased car Nov 2014, ( 2nd owner) drive very little so first oil change after purchase was Oct 25, 2015 at recommended (5000) mileage 85,000. Oil was 1.1 qts low. My Valvoline dealer will monitor oil consumption for me to establish a pattern. No oil warning or usage noted. I am a single 74 yrs old female and I am really angry as I thought this would be my last car to purchase. I have joined a class action suit for this issue.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

Jun 282008

Camry LE 2.4L

This car is a nightmare on oil consumption!! It's at the point that I'm using more oil than gas. We had the oil consumption test done on this car at the dealership and it FAILED!!! This was in May of 2015. When I called the other day to see when repairs would be started, I got the nice brush off that the parts were still on back order from Toyota. The service tech told me that I could come by the dealership & they would put oil in it for me as needed, but I'm not local and the commute to the dealership is approximately an hour & 1/2.

We are really disappointed in this car and I feel that we're getting the brush off on the repairs!!

- , Newton, NC, USA

Jun 042015

Camry

Had the OIL CONSUMPTION TEST PERFORMED. They replaced the RINGS and the PISTONS the first time. Picked my car up , reported it was running bad, they stated the rings needed to be seated . OK then the oil light came on ! Guess what NO OIL in the engine. Took it back they kept my car for 3 months to replace the block ! Still wasn't fixed right. They kept it one more month to replace the block and the heads . Called to check on the status, he told me the lifters and the exhaust wasn't working right. ok got my car back and it sounds terrible. It shaking really bad! It sounds like the engine is tapping , as if the lifters need to be adjusted! But Ray Brandt Toyota says that is acceptable! Like really ! Where is this acceptable ? Would you accept this? When you start up your car and its sound Loud you can here it from the back if the car and its shaking your arms, chest and head!

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 102015

Camry LX 2.4L 4-cyl

Been having problem with my oil being low. I took it to Toyota place where I purchased the vehicle. The first time was the technician forgot to screw the cap on tight, so I lost oil. The second time I had a oil consumption test and they stated every thing was ok. Bit a few months later. I was having the same issues with my car knocking and it was because of low oil. The oil light came on but it wasn't time for the change based on the sticker that they provide when you get your oil changed. So this time I had no oil, the light never came on and I had my father put three quarts in. By Monday it was back to just the first hole on the stick. Toyota then stated that maybe the technician didn't put enough and I should check it at least once a week. At this point I have 139159 miles and my sticker says next change is 141676 and it's not going to make it. It obvious something wrong and my car doesn't smoke or anything. Toyota need to find the problem and fix my ride.

This is getting very frustrated and as a lady I usually trust in the company since I get every oil change from where I purchased my vehicle that they will do whats best for my car. But looks like the run around is truly in affect

- , Macon, GA, USA

Jul 072015

Camry XLE 4

Using a quart of oil every two thousand miles. Not acceptable

- , Port Ludlow, WA, USA