CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

$1,396.00

2. replace engine block (14 reports)
  3. rebuild engine (11 reports)
  4. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (11 reports)
  5. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (10 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (10 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Oct 142015

Camry ES V4

Toyota Carlsbad 5424 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad, CA My wife and I purchased a brand new 2009 Camry from Toyota Carlsbad, at about 50.000 miles I noticed the oil pressure light will come on between services so I called in and spoke with a customer service representative and her response was " Do not worry, that is normal". Having automotive experience myself, I monitored the oil consumption for the next months and to my surprise my vehicle was burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 to 1200 miles, that is anything but normal. I brought this concern to Toyota's service advisor Kevin Skinner after I received a paper in the mail stating Toyota was looking into excessive oil consumption. Toyota Carlsbad performed an oil consumption test and my vehicle "passed" meaning my vehicle was performing at Toyota's "standards" (I did not agree with this statement, because my previous Toyota never burn that much oil even after driving 4000-5000 miles). The engine is burning way more oil than it should be. It's at it's highest point now, and we are grateful that the motor hasn't burned up and caused an accident while on the road. Toyota is aware of the 2AZ-FE engines having problems with oil consumption, but nothing has been done to fix this issue. Almost a year and 50.000 miles after I am still here raising my voice for Totoya of Carlsbad to take responsibility and keep valuable customers happy. I tried to reach out to service advisor Kevin Skinner for over four months now via e-mail/phone and still no answer.

-YR 11/20/2016

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

Oct 222016

Camry LE 2.4L

Motor oil consumption is excessive to the point that I have to check it every weekend. The dealer says is normal but they could have it checked by a mechanic for a fee of course. I can't afford to exchange the car for a newer at this moment. Not happy with my Toyota Camry at this moment and the lack of care from the Toyota Dealer.

- , Taylor, TX, USA

Aug 252014

Camry LE 4 cyl

Car burned about 1 qt every 5,000 miles when I first bought it with 82,000 miles. I was dismayed bc I've owned 5 Toyotas and never had any burn a single drop of oil. The problem has progressed to burning 1 qt. in a mere 450 miles now with 158,000 miles. I had the Toyota dealer do the excessive oil consumption test (for which I received a letter that they were voluntarily repairing Camrys with this problem) but my car ONLY burned 0.9 qt in the 1100-1300 mile test. It had to burn a full qt in order to be repaired by Toyota. I was irate. I was told I could have it tested again. Now that it is burning more oil I tried to schedule another test as the Oct. 31, 2016, deadline for cars with over 150,000 miles was approaching. I was told that I had to wait 6 months after the first test. That would put me past the deadline and my car could not qualify to be repaired for free. You won your little "admit no fault" battle Toyota...BUT YOU WILL LOSE THE WAR. I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN, despite how much I have loved them in the past. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE BUSINESS MOVE ON TOYOTA'S PART. I HAVE BEEN TELLING EVERYONE THE ABSURDITY OF TOYOTA'S APPROACH TO THIS CLEAR BREACH OF TRUST...AND I WILL KEEP TELLING PEOPLE. YOUR REPUTATION IS EVERYTHING. YOU LOSE YOUR REPUTATION, YOU CAN NEVER GET IT BACK. ASININE.

- , Georgetown, KY, USA

Sep 262016

Camry

I was told by Toyota dealership that they are aware of the problem and they don't know when they be able to fix it and the parts are on back order. May take a year the dealership said. I cannot wait a year or not have a realistic date set, I'm not sure what kind of subsequent insults are happening to my car with this oil leak. I want this fixed soon!

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 012016

Camry

My car has been using excessive oil. My oil light first came on and i checked the oil it was down 2.5 qts, after having an oil change and putting on about 2k miles. I brought it to Toyota and by the time it got there it was down another qt roughly 900 miles before appt.

when i did the 1200-1500 mile test I brought it back and it used what the dealer told me was a smidge less than a qt so it didnt qualify. I argued the point that what if it wasnt drained competely we are talking a tablespoon worth of oil , it didnt use enough im sorry. They told me by toyota standards, it is normal to burn that much oil, well WTF if that is the case why would you get anoil change? If the car is burning a qt every 100o miles, there is 5 qts to the car and you change it 5 k miles ( per toyota guidlines) why in the hell have an oil change seriously STUPID ANSWER TOYOTA!!!!!! I have kept record of all the oil i have had to put in and at what mileage.

I have been a Toyota owner since 1999, NEVER AGAIN! Im now looking this weekend becasue my car is now flashing the engine light and running bad. This is extreme bullshit and TOYOTA should now support its loyal customers. GET IT TOGETHER TOYOTA!

- , New Durham, NH, USA

May 012016

Camry SE 4

Really, just keep adding oil? That's not a fix. The oil consumption is up to 1 qt for every 600 miles.

- , Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 302015

Camry LE 2.4L

Toyota should fix this issue.................................................................................................................................

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 102015

Camry LE 2az-Fe

began noticing oil consumption increase between oil changes in early 2015. Has become worse over time. Now adding several quarts between oil changes. Have had numerous occasions when I could not start car without multiple attempts and checked to find out the oil was low many times. I now have to check the oil level at minimum at least every 3 weeks. The oil light never comes on except for the normal oil change notice.

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Sep 012016

Camry LX 2.4L

Change oil every 3 thousand miles notice it was a quart short every three months

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 082016

Camry

2500 miles since last oil change. I randomly checked the oil and found it to be > 2 quarts low. The oil light never came on. I added oil and drove the car the next day. The engine failed while traveling at 70 MPH in the inside lane of 285 in Atlanta.

- , Loganville, GA, USA

Aug 152016

Camry LE 2.4L

Every time i took my car to get an oil change (every 3000 miles sometimes even a little earlier), I am told my oil is low or dirty or both. This last time I took it I was told I was low two quarts of oil and I didn't even hit 3,000 miles yet. I was told next time if it was low I might have to do a complete engine flush. I decided to get a few more opinions before going forward with any work. I was told by a man at a Toyota dealership in Torrance, that it sounded similar to an issue another person he knows had which ended up being a recall for that persons car. I was advised to call the dealership I got my car from and check with them for a recall.

I called and received news that there was a "warranty enhancement" for excessive oil consumption. I took it in to get the first step of the test done which consisted of making sure there wasn't an oil leak and since there wasn't they topped off my oil then applied markers to my dip stick and other places so they can measure how much my oil went down after only 1200 miles.

When I returned after the 1200 miles they checked the levels again and saw obviously my engine burned a significant amount of oil since they last checked it. Here's what I do not feel is right. They added a quart of oil back into my car when I returned and since it was little above full AFTER they added the quart, they said my car passed the test and that although my car burned oil it wasn't enough for them to do any work to my car.

The Toyota employee who helped me also felt it needed to be fixed but his "hands were tied". Basically telling me that its $5,000 to fix and that it was normal in Toyotas to consume excessive amounts of oil. I bought my car certified used from the Cerritos Auto Square Autonation lot. I couldn't believe that they turned me away without even suggesting other ways for me to get better oil consumption or any other help for that matter. I was told I can do the test one more time and they actually told me to go to a different dealership which I also found strange.

- , Harbor City, CA, USA

Jun 102016

Camry 2.4L

Daughters car we bought her for college travel, she comes home for the summer to work diving home one day check engine light came on I checked the oil it was 2 quarts low. Added oil because it still had 1500 miles before the next oil change. Started watching the exhaust as she was coming and going noticed smoking way to much so I found a good use motor and changed motors hoping this motor don't develop the same problem. I just thought the went bad because she let it get low on oil I didn't know there were all kinds of others having the same issue

- , Cassville, MO, USA

Jun 202016

Camry LE 4 Cyc

Had to add two quarts after less than 4,000 miles.

- , Greenville, TX, USA

Mar 312016

Camry LE

I sick of this issue and afraid the engine going to blow up. I had oil consumption test done twice and Toyota say I can only have it done twice. They say it passed both times. But its still burning (consuming) oil. They say there's nothing they can do about the problem. I'm getting a lawyer and sue Toyota.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jul 082016

Camry LE

I sick of this issue and afraid the engine going to blow up. I had oil consumption test done twice and Toyota say I can only have it done twice. The second time it was done on 04/21/16 with 109,156 miles.They say it passed both times. But its still burning (consuming) oil. They say there's nothing they can do about the problem. My lawyer will be calling them.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Mar 152016

Camry LS 2.4L

This is the third time missing oil. This time we were missing 2 and a half quarts, which is a significant amount to lose between oil changes. Still waiting to hear if Toyota is going to fix. Really disappointed with Toyota as they were aware of this problem according to NHTSA.

- , St-Eugene, ON, Canada

May 172016

Camry LE 2.4v

I had it financed for $21,000 I put down $1,300 for it with only 70,000 miles already on the car. My Carfax I got for the car did not include that there was a problem with the engine. Only thing it had was a little fender bender on the right side of the car.. but air bags never came out.

As I was driving down the interstate my car started making a funny noise and started to shake. Then a big boom sound from the bottom of my car like something came off. A piece did come off and smoke and oil were coming from my car. I got someone to tow my car home and they said it looked like my piston ring or just the piston came off my car.. the light indicator never came on and it was time for my car to get serviced.

Now my extended warranty company is telling me I have to pay $1,500 for the dealership to break it down to look at problem and if it was my fault the engine is messed up, I'll have to pay the full amount to get it fixed $3000 dollars.. if I known it was an oil consumption problem with this model car, I would never brought. Now I still owe the bank the remaining amount of $10,000 dollars and I have no car.

My warranty company is not trying to help pay to get it fixed and I'm paying them every month for a extended warranty for my damn car.. I need help on getting car fixed because I loved that car and haven't had that car for over three months and now I'm out of a car back catching the bus. I need help resolving this issue.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 042015

Camry LE

I have owned Toyotas for years and found them to be very reliable rarely needing attention beyond oil changes. Last summer, my oil light came on. I was due for an oil change as the mileage since the last change was nearly 5000. (I usually change oil every 3000 miles. Life had been very hectic.) When I checked the oil, it was dry. I took it in to Toyota and they conducted an oil consumption test. Given the amount of oil the car was "burning", I did not qualify for a fix. They told me to come back in six months. Same routine, same answer. I was told "none of them" ever qualify for a fix at Toyota's expense. I dislike having to check the oil all of the time and add significant amounts between oil changes. I am displeased with the line that this is normal. Never had it with any other car!!! I would like Toyota to address the issue. At this point, I will not purchase another Toyota.

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Feb 022016

Camry 2.4L V4

Stationed overseas in Busan Korea and was told by the dealer here that my VIN doesn't show any problems in their database so he won't do any tests or replace any parts for my excessive engine oil consumption problem.

I called the 1-888-270-9371 Toyota Customer Assistance Center (1605310016 verifies I called) and the representative told me there's nothing they can do since I'm stationed overseas. Easier to ship parts to the US.

I will be stationed in Korea for 2 more years and my 2009 Camry "red low engine oil pressure" light turns on after 2-3 months and when I check the engine oil level it barely registers on the dipstick. I have to keep putting engine oil in the car. My mechanic (local guy, not Toyota Dealership) showed me how only a liter or less of engine oil came out during my last engine oil change at 65,000 miles...and that was after I put in a liter at the ~64,500 mark when the red low engine oil gauge lit up. The yellow Maintenance light lit up around 65,000 miles.

- , Springfield, MO, USA