- July 22: Toyota Recalls Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid recalls | 1 days ago
- July 20: Southeast Toyota Distributors Recalls Tacoma and 4Runner recalls | 3 days ago
- June 29: Recall: Lexus ES 350 Cars Can Lose Steering Control recalls | 24 days ago
- June 20: Toyota Sienna Power Sliding Door Lawsuit Filed in Missouri news | 33 days ago
- June 18: Takata and Honda Get Some Airbag Claims Dismissed news | 35 days ago
Excessive Oil Consumption
2009 Toyota Camry (Page 2 of 9)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.
Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.
The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 88,257 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 172 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (93 reports)
- replace engine block (14 reports)
- starting the excessive oil consumption test (12 reports)
- rebuild engine (11 reports)
- toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (11 reports)
- situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (10 reports)