- May 22: Gulf States Toyota Recalls 4Runner, Camry and Other Models recalls | 3 days ago
- May 20: TRW Ball Joints Recalled on Toyota Trucks and SUVs recalls | 5 days ago
- May 18: Crash Tests: Tesla Model S, BMW i3, Chevy Volt and Toyota Prius Prime news | 7 days ago
- May 16: Blue-Colored Headlights Should Be Banned, Petitioner Says news | 9 days ago
- April 27: Toyota Recalls 228,000 Tacoma Trucks to Fix Rear Differentials recalls | 28 days ago
Excessive Oil Consumption
2009 Toyota Camry (Page 2 of 9)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.
Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.
The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 86,163 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 161 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (86 reports)
- replace engine block (14 reports)
- rebuild engine (11 reports)
- toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (11 reports)
- situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (10 reports)
- starting the excessive oil consumption test (10 reports)