- November 19: Toyota Sues 'Lexus Studios,' a Wedding Video Company
- November 6: Toyota and Mazda Wave Goodbye to Takata
- November 5: Toyota Recalls Cars That Suddenly Brake On Their Own
- November 1: Toyota RAV4 Oil Consumption Lawsuit Filed in Illinois
- October 21: Toyota Recalls 6.5 Million Cars After Power Window Switch Fires
Excessive Oil Consumption
2009 Toyota Camry (Page 2 of 5)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.
Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.
The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 71,061 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 97 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (54 reports)
- replace engine block (11 reports)
- situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (9 reports)
- toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (9 reports)
- rebuild engine (8 reports)
- starting the excessive oil consumption test (5 reports)