CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.2

2. replace engine block (9 reports)
  3. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (9 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (4 reports)
  5. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (4 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (2 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 042014

Camry SE 4

went into dealer for 75000 mile service and was told as I was checking out that my oil was about 1 qt low. never had this happen in the past, but now I'm due for 80k service and I checked my oil last week..low again. now I have read info online and think this is not an isolated issue. wth?

- , Troy, OH, USA

Oct 012011

Camry 2.4L

I just want it fixed, it is too annoying to keep adding oil before it reaches the miles for next oil change.

- , Surrey, BC, canada

Sep 152014

Camry LE 4cly

Went to Toyota at 99123 miles, told them I had to add 3 quarts of oil during the last oil change cycle. Was told they had to do an oil consumption test. Did that, it used 21/2 quarts of oil in the next 5000 miles. Called the dealer who told me they need to do another test, but he also told me that Toyota said using a quart of oil every 1000 miles was normal. The car has a lifetime warranty on the engine, but if the car didn't use I quart of oil in 1000 miles there was nothing he could do for me.

Using 5 quarts of oil between oil changes is CRAZY!!!!!

- , Haw River, N.C, USA

Jun 192014

Camry LE 3.2L

My 2009 Camry is out of warranty. as soon as I went over the 60,000 miles I took it to the dealer and they notice that it is consuming too much oil.they made me drive for 12,000 miles to confirm it.am not sure what to do because toyota said they cannot help in anyway.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 122014

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Bought my Camry new in DEC 09'. I started using Amsoil 0w-20 at 2000 miles. I put on about 12,500 miles a year. I do the extended oil change with Amsoil and new Toyota oil filter twice a year. Around 30,000 miles I had to add about 3/4 of a quart at about 6000 miles or when I changed the filter, it has progressively gotten worse. Now at 77,000 miles I am adding 1 1/2 quarts every 1000 miles. I don't care if you pay $10000 or $100000 for a vehicle it should not have this kind of oil consumption. T

oyota knew all along this would happen with these engines. This is my 4th Camry and I have been very satisfied till now with Toyota. You can't even trade it off without losing $ because everyone knows there's a problem! Toyota has really stuck it to the owners of these cars and eventually they will pay for it thru loss of sales.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 102011

Camry SE 2.4L

We purchased an 09 Camry that was 2 yrs old with 62,000km. I've had Toyotas for the past 20 years and have sworn that there is no better car manufacturer than Toyota; maybe with the exception of Honda.So when this car starting burning oil at an alarming rate at @ 75,000km and was told by the dealer that it is normal, I can see that Toyota is not taking responsibility for manufacturing defects unless their life threatening or may cause death. On your site and others the reviews on this particular model are scathing and I would think that Toyota should, ethically and morally, fix the many problems that people report. I'm stuck with this car until the engine needs replacing; I cannot afford to buy another one because I am now on a disability and I planned on keeping this car like the previous 2 Toyotas I owned (Corolla and Tercel) - both of which never burned a drop of oil nor blackened the dipstick.

Once the engine goes, we will invest in a more reliable car, most likely a Honda Accord, and as far as Toyotas' are concerned, this shall be our last.

For the diehard fans of Toyota products, I only wish success with whatever models you purchase but if you would complain more than the rest of us, then maybe Toyota would be forced to repair their mistakes.

Brakes don't last long on this particular car, there is now an electrical (possible computer)problem with the ABS engaging during dry road conditions, the driver's door clunks because the catch is lower than the latch, and the trunk latch broke 2 weeks ago and need replacing at a cost of $428.00 with $346.00 of that cost for the simple trunk latch.

That's about it for now until I add another liter of oil for this week (200,000km) on engine but my 04 Corolla has 360,000km on it and still churning well and burns NO oil.

Done ranting and raving for now; at least until I stop by my local Toyota dealership and tell them how much their Camrys suck.

- , Tiverton, Nova Scotia, canada

Nov 042013

Camry LS 2.4L

This pc of garbage burns oil at 88000 km, engines knocks , valve noise. It is my 1st Toyota and my Last !!!!

Suspension too soft, vibrates in rough roads, rides like a boat! Alignment problem, my brake light bulb was out and dash board had no indicator light to let me know ----- my neighbor saw that and told me the light was out .

My old 1978 Accord had an indicator light. Sham of you !! Cup holder too small to put any thing in. Mirrors does not fold, no heated mirror for winter icy conditions. My 2000 Accord runs better with 300,000 km - no knocking, burns oil after 140,000 km not 88,000 km, never had alignment done, still able to let go my hands in straight road. Camry had alignment done, still needs 2 hands! DO you think I am going to buy another Toyota!

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Jun 052014

Camry 2.4L 4 cyl

Car loses oil so often and toyota says this is normal, but its not. bad car overall, have had many issues.

- , Pope Valley, CA, USA

Jun 202014

Camry

i CAN'T BELIEVE THAT STILL PAYING FOR A 2009 TOYOTA CAMRY FOR A MANUFACTURING DEFECT I HAD TO PAY FOR REPAIRS TO HAVE THE ENGINE REBUILT WITH NEW PISTONS AND CYLINDERS. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED FREE OF CHARGE SINCE IT'S A KNOWN PROBLEM, NOT CAUSED BY THE BUYER AND BASICALLY TOYOTA IS SELLING A DEFECTIVE CAR.

- , Clifton, NJ, USA

Dec 012013

Camry XLE 2.4L

Car is burning oil about 2 qts a month. No leaks. Taking car in this weekend to dealer for Oil Comsumpation Testing. I hope we can get this resolved. I love this car, no other problems.

- , No Highlands, CA, USA

May 012014

Camry 4 cyl

Camry has been a good car, but I expected a longer life. Oil Changed regularly. Excessive oil usage. No leaks. I have had several people tell me this is common with high milage Toyota's. Have been told it's not worth the cost to fix.

- , Scottsboro, AL, USA

Jan 012014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I am convinced my 2009 Toyota Camry is consuming oil at an excessive rate. The low oil indicator light started to come on before the 5k interval between services. When I brought up my concerns with the dealership that services my vehicle, the tech could not find a leak and I was simply instructed by the service adviser to do more frequent oil changes (approx. every 3k miles). Subsequently, the oil indicator light now comes on barely after I drive 3k since the last oil change.

I took my vehicle to a local oil change shop rather than a dealership and explained my concerns. The tech there confirmed there wasn't any visible oil on the dipstick and very little oil left in the engine. There were no signs of a leak. The tech took the time to search online for possible recalls and found a service announcement from Toyota for replacing piston rings. Apparently, there is definitely a problem with the engines in several Toyota models, including the 2009 Camry. According to the local oil shop tech, it would cost several thousands of dollars to fix the piston ring problem.

I submitted a complaint to Toyota USA asking when a recall would be issued to fix this problem because clearly it's not an isolated incident. I've seen other complaints on "carcomplaints.com" and other websites regarding the same oil consumption issue and I'm hoping my fellow 2009 Camry owners will also file a complaint to Toyota by going to http://www.toyota.com/support/#!/app/ask.

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Feb 072013

Camry 2.4L 4 cyl

My 2009 Toyota Camry with 82,000 miles uses 1.5 quarts of oil every 3000 miles on average which is excessive. It is not leaking any oil so the oil has to be going into the atmosphere which is a serious environmental issue as well as a problem for me. Dealer said this is "normal", but I am not stupid. This is my second Camry, but after all the recalls, premature component failure and now the oil issue I have given up on the brand. I have purchased a 2015 Mazda 6 and I will never go back to Toyota. I still own the Toyota, but have given it to my daughter much sooner than I had planned.

- , Euless, TX, USA

Jan 102012

Camry SE 2.4L

I bought a certified 2009 camry in 2011 with 35000 miles and from my first oil change about 40000 miles I told them that it seems to be either leaking oil or burning it. Each time they told me its normal for this car but looking back on my bills they never wrote my concerns on my bills. Now with 96010 miles on car (100000 mile warranty)I checked oil after 4500 miles on this oil change and I had to add one full qt of oil before I could even get a reading on dipstick. I had it service 4 days later and they said I was 1.7 Qts short and now I had them add it on my bill of record and they will check in 1200 miles to see if I have a claim. WTF if ?? They know its a problem google it. They released a TSB-0094-11 for this engine but they are making us Toyota people wanting to switch auto makers for our next car. I hope they make good on my warranty. I will update this site what happens, stay tuned.

- , Rootstown, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Camry LE 2.4L

USING 2 QUARTS BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. Toyota says this is normal.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jun 212013

Camry LE 4

I bought my Camry end of 2008, it's a 2009 model. I never check oil level because I think the car is new until now, only 100.000 miles and started loosing oil. But last year I want go San Jose so I check the oil, it is below the low level, really bad. I call Toyota to find out, they said that is normal. My car every 600 miles have to add 1quart. Only car that needs to add oil every two weeks, something is not right. I have since every 3000 miles, oil changed still the same. I called Toyota more then 3 times, they still say normal. Looks like I have to trade out this car, no more Toyota Camry .......

Update from Dec 11, 2014: My 2009 camry is 60.000 miles losing more then last 6 month every 500 miles need to one quart of oil is just like the car over 200;000 miles , I been try the thick oil 5w30 is not that bad but the car is no power ....toyota don t want to fix they say is normal

- , Rosemead, CA, USA

Nov 042013

Camry LE 4 cyl

I bought this car believing I would have a reliable vehicle for at least 200,00 miles - it is, after all a TOYOTA. But soon after I drove off the lot trouble began. First it was the mold issue due to a poorly designed drainage system. I had to get the carpet professionally clean and spent $$$ on Lysol in an attempt to kill the mold that was lingering inside the elusive AC coil/core. I was going to spend $600 to get that problem fixed when I was told the front end needed work - $650. After that I checked the oil on a whim and there was nothing on the dip stick. That happened again when I checked it a month later.

When the mechanic looked at it he said Toyota did a horrible job designing their 4 cyl. My choices were to add oil every week or get rid of the car. Changing engines would be costly and ultimately lead to the same issue with the next one. My previous car was also a Toyota. Funny thing is, I had to sell that because, after only 60K miles, two cylinders went bad! In addition, that car's drainage hose got clogged too, soaking the carpet in the process. I will never recommend Toyota to anyone.

I no longer have the Camry. Toyota will not take responsibility for what they have placed on the market. If they would have been accountable for these vehicles that have so many inherent issues, that would be one thing. But they don't, leaving their customers in the lurch to scramble to keep the cars on the road and out of the garage.

- , Owens Mills, MD, USA

Apr 102013

Camry

I have had it with toyota. I've contacted them numerous times about my car consuming oil every short drive i take but they tell me i have to come out of pocket with money that i dont have .

- , katy, TX, USA

Jun 262009

Camry SE 4 cyl

My Camry is burning oil, I first noticed this when I came to a stop, my oil light came on, I reported it to the dealer and I was told that it is normal for it to burn a quart of oil for every 800 miles. My brother being a mechanic told me that was a lie, losing that much oil there has to be a oil leak to burn that much oil, so I took it back to the dealer/shop and brought this to their attention again and was told the same thing that it was normal and when I find out that it is low, bring it back to the shop. I did this and been doing this every time the oil is low and was told they could not find anything wrong that would cause it to burn oil. I am tired of being told lies by the Toyota dealer and I am also tired of checking my engine every two weeks to make sure the oil level is where is should be. Let's face it Toyota need to fess up that THIS IS a problem the 2009 Camry has, problem with it burning oil. Toyota need to do a recall and fix the problem.

- , Hyattsville, MD, USA

Aug 012012

Camry SE 4 cyl

My 2009 Toyota Camry SE was using oil on the first oil change after purchasing the vehicle. The engine had approx. 35,000 miles on it at purchase. We have had 2 oil consumption tests done on it. Actually we are in the 2nd one now. On the last oil change, the mechanic said we needed to have another consumption test done because there was barely any oil on the dip stick at oil change. This was after I had added a quart to it.

This is crazy that Toyota thinks this is normal. I know nothing will be done about this, it is a waste of my time driving 30 minutes every 1000 miles to have the oil topped off for this test. I really would like to drive it to Milton Martin Toyota and park it in their lot with the payment book inside the car. Very frustrated!

- , Mt. Airy, GA, USA