CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2. replace engine block (11 reports)
  3. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (9 reports)
  4. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (9 reports)
  5. rebuild engine (8 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (5 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Feb 222013

Camry SE 4cl

I purchased my 2009 Camry brand new in July of 2008. From the time of my very first oil change and tire rotation I have had major problems with this car in which I have filed a complaint with the Toyota Manufacturer.

I have always checked my oil when putting gas in it. At 65000 miles I noticed that the oil was starting to get low. I added oil then took it to the dealership to have it checked. They replaced the oil pan seal as a precaution. It still lost oil. I took it back and the mechanic said the car was completely dry there are no leaks anywhere. The car had to be burning oil. The only way to fix it was to replace the block which was very expensive or to keep adding oil as needed. I asked if there was any other complaints on Camry burning oil, I was told NO WE'VE NEVER HAD ANYONE ELSE COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS.

I add 2.5 quarts of oil to my car in between oil changes. My car now has 129300 miles on it. I received notice from Toyota about doing an oil consumption test, I called the manufacturer and explained to them what my car was doing. I was told by them that the test would show what the car was doing. If my car met the requirements then they would fix it when the parts became available. I asked how much oil does your car have to burn in order to qualify for the repairs. She didn't know. I was told that the dealerships would be the ones to make that decision.

Ok I had the oil consumption test done. In 1200 miles my car burn .5 quart of oil. Which proved that in between oil changes I would in fact have to put 2,5 quarts of oil in my car. Well, that's not what happened. The dealership says that it is normal for my car to use 2.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have the right to have another test done. But if the car doesn't burn more that 1.1 quarts of oil in a 1200 mile range then it doesn't qualify for any repairs. ALSO, THEY WILL ONLY EXTEND THE WARRANTY TO COVER THE CAR UP TO 150000 MILES. WELL, THAT MEANS I ONLY HAVE 20000 MILES LEFT TO PUSH FOR MY CAR TO BE FIXED EVEN THOUGH THE PROBLEM WAS FOUND AT 65000 MILES.

I purchased this Camry because I bought a 1997 Toyota 4 runner. I now have 290000 miles on it and it DOES NOT BURN ONE DROP OF OIL. So, HOW CAN TOYOTA NOW SAY THAT IT IS NORMAL FOR YOUR CAR TO BURN OIL.

To go onto other issues with this car. It makes a popping cracking noise almost like a tin can bending. It only does it during the winter months. Again, TOYOTA SAYS THAT CRAP IS NORMAL FOR CARS TO MAKE THESE TYPE OF NOISES. Or it is blamed on ME DRIVING A SUV AND I NEED TO RETRAIN MYSELF HOW TO DRIVE A CAR. Really Toyota????

At first I was so excited that Toyota was finally going to step up and fix this LEMON I bought.. BUT NOOO. ITS FREAKING NORMAL!!!!! I AM INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

- , Verona, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

The Dealer says I must wait two or three months for parts to resolve this problem. I like my 2009 Camry problem is the internal engine parts have problems CHEEP I have had the compression checked prior to taking this problem to a trusted dealer Hamer Toyota, Inc Mission Hills Ca. The test showed low compression due to BAD internal parts [RINGS/VALVES] in addition the emission/catalytic convertor are clogged with BURT OIL CARBON'S this is one of the reasons the check engine display is ON currently the engine is consuming [3.5+ of oil every 1000 miles [ This car should go easy 250000 miles with no oil burning the same as my old 2000 CAMRY TOYOTA PICKED THE WRONG PARTS SUPPLY FOR THIS ONE!

- , Acton, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Camry SE 4.0L

Finally got dealer to admit there is a problem, however it will be months before Toyota can provide parts?????

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 162013

Camry SE 4 cyl

At 98,000 miles I went to change the oil. I had been changing it every 3,000 miles since I purchased it. When I look at the amount of oil in the drain pan I thought that something had clogged the oil drain hole in the crankcase. Literally there was only about 2 quarts of oil that drained. I was afraid to put oil because I was convinced that there was still oil in the crankcase.

Once I realized that was all the oil in the engine I was just shocked. My oil light never came on and my temperature gauge never went past medium. I had changed the oil and started checking it regularly to find out that I am burning a quart of oil every 750 miles. I tried thickening agents but did not help at all.

Now with a 147,000 miles I need to add a quart of oil every 500 miles. I took the engine oil consumption test and did get confirmation that it excessively consuming oil but that was months ago and I have not heard a thing from Toyota since. This is my first Toyota and was told to buy one because you can drive them for 300k if you maintain it. I will never buy one again and will tell everyone as well. Toyota send a note saying that once they have the materials to make the repairs they would be in contact with me. I honestly believe they are just hoping I sell the car first.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 222013

Camry LE 2.4L L4 Dohc 16v

So I've now had 6 different oil change garages tell me that my oil is "significantly low", "dangerously low", "surprised the engine didn't seize up", "removed the plug and half a quart came out" , "recommend contacting Toyota as it is a KNOWN issue" ....etc!!!

I've been purchasing extra oil to add in between routine changes and now carry 3 quarts with me at all times. I travel extensive and purchased the 2009 Camry because I thought it would be reliable for the long term however, I am quickly learning that 1000's of other Toyota owners are just as frustrated with their Toyota low oil issues. After doing research, it appears many folks have been told that low oil in the Camry is normal. Are you kidding me???? So I guess, when I'm driving through a very remote area and my engine seizes up and I'm stranded it's still OK??

Anyway, so based on all the feedback on this site and many others, I will now be contacting the dealer to see how they will address this issue and begin what will be a long painful process of trying to get this remedied. Toyota has not been easy to deal with as I have had to contact them for issues with my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna for premature tire wear and constant issues with defective TPS sensors of which they fail to acknowledge.

Toyota is really good at finding excuses to extend the time-frame of the issue and then not cover anything because it is out of warranty. They also like to keep your issue isolated and respond with comments like, "we haven't seen that before," or "we haven't had any complaints about that," more B.S. to get you to pay for the repair. There should be a class action for the Sienna tire wear issue related to their defective tire pressure sensors. Lots of unhappy owners out there dealing with the same frustration as those listed here!!! Forums like this are great but only represent a small percentage of people who have bee impacted. Many frustrated Toyota owners continue to be taken advantage of and buy-in to the B.S.which equates to a lot of Toyota service revenue!! Toyota needs to step up and take responsibility!!!

Please continue to update your responses to your issues as you have helped me and others to realize we are not the only one's with these Toyota issues. Thx.

- , Suffield, CT, USA

Dec 122014

Camry CE

I want to start by saying that I keep up with my oil changes every 5K miles religiously. I took my car in on the latter part of September 2014 for my oil change, soon after that about a week in 1/2 my oil light came on. I didn't think much about it, I thought that they probably didn't reset the oil light. I took it to the dealership in mid December 2014 and discovered it was low on oil, they had to put in 1 QT 1/2. This vehicle ate up 1 quart 1/2 after approximately 2K miles..... I was asked to bring it back after 1000 miles for a check up (should be at 73695 miles). On 1/16/15 I took in the car because the tire light came on and had them check that as well as the oil. By this time the car had 73,333 miles. I wasn't told of how much oil it needed, but my paper work states "Please down three quarts and refill top off with a oil additive". They highly recommended this additive that cost me $30 (which I did).

When I received my TSB in the mail, I took the car in on Feb 16th 2015 and they are starting this Oil Consumption Test (mileage at this time is 74,397). I've been asked to bring it back after 1100 - 1300 miles for a 2nd test (which not sure what that entails I guess I'll find out soon).

I have many concerns: 1. Not sure if I will get an accurate reading now that I've been using this additive and this might be there way of not fixing this problem even though it has already shown previously that it's consuming oil like crazy. 2. My inspection is due the month of March and I'm hoping and praying that it will pass inspection. According to the guy at the dealership "It shouldn't be a problem"

It's been frustrating and I did speak to someone in there corporate office and I kind of gathered that they don't even know how/what they plan to do to fix this problem..... It's a little scary and I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and really hope they do the right thing.

Anyone with any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Update from Mar 30, 2015: I took my car in on Friday, March 27th at 75,519 miles and it did FAIL the oil consumption test. It is now up to me to top off my oil until I am contacted sometime in May for repair. The guy at the dealership could not tell me how or what they plan on doing to fix.

Update from Aug 12, 2015: I traded in this vehicle for a new one. Hope to have better luck with this new vehicle than what I've had with Toyota.

- , Richmond, TX, USA

Sep 092014

Camry LX 2.4L

My 2009 Toyota started to consumption engine oil at 55000 miles, every 5000 miles I change oil, it last about 2.5qts. getting worse, now the mileage is 677884 miles. I went to the dealer two times for consumption tests, dealer said every thing is normal. No repair action required. I'm not sure how many qts of oil burned is not normal. I used to drive Nissan and Honda, never had problem like this one.

I'm confused. I think that Toyota is lying and cheating people, although your car is under warranty they don't want to spend money to do this kind repair, costs big. I 'll never Toyota again !

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 012014

Camry 2.5L 4 cyl

It's funny (well not really), I didn't see this site until just after I bought my 09 Camry with 55000 miles and I said, uh-oh. Guess what, this bad boy is burning oil as well. I don't know exactly how much but it's burning maybe a quart every 2,000 miles? I do my own oil changes and know my way around a car a little bit so it's not a big deal adding oil, I just hope it doesn't get worse or cause any problems.

Toyota did just send me a letter saying they would fix it but it has to burn like a qt every 1000 or so, I forget but I'm not that bad yet... Anyway, I'm gonna hold out for a little while but if things start to act up I'm taking it straight back to Carmax. ;)

- , havre de grace, MD Maryland, USA

Jun 012010

Camry 4 cyl

Our 2009 Camry started burning way too much oil between oil changes & we were told that it was normal for a 4 cyl engine. I have had to make NUMEROUS AND EXPENSIVE repairs due to this oil consumption issue. Now, I have another round of repairs to make AGAIN due to this oil consumption issue AGAIN!!

I don't feel I should pay for these repairs again yet, the dealer & Toyota will do nothing at all to help me. They finally agreed to rebuild the engine at no charge after being confronted with the fact that there is a "warranty extension" initiated by Toyota. They claim that there will not be any parts available until April unless I want to pay for it myself (then they can get the car in quickly) and apply for possible reimbursement at a later time but, wouldn't say how long it would take to MAYBE get the money back.

We have been calling the dealer and Toyota begging for help because the car will not last until the parts arrive in April. No one will give us a loaner, fix it etc!! My husband is a salesman and has to make a living using this car!!!! We don't have $3,000 or $4,000 just lying around for a new engine (that we shouldn't have to pay for anyway), and we certainly can't afford another car right now!! I believe Toyota is intentionally delaying manufacturing of the parts so that people will give up and junk the car so they can fix thousands of fewer cars at their expense. We will never buy a Toyota again!!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 062015

Camry SE 4.2L V4

Last week the engine oil light was on. To verify the amount of engine oil only had 1 qt. The car you always changed the oil in the Toyota dealer. On Tuesday February 17, I came a letter from Toyota indicate where my Toyota has excessive oil consumption. In the coming days I'll be heading to dealer for verification.

The car was about to break the motor by not having oil.

- , Toa Alta, PR, Puerto Rico

Jan 222015

Camry SE 2.4L

I've read all of the complaints and agree with the frustration. My dilemma started last week. My oil pressure light blinked on/off (if you blinked, you missed it). I figured I'd take it to my local dealer. Little oil registering on the dipstick. Called the Toyota Dealer service dept to see if I should have the car towed or drive it in. Service guy advised driving it in since it was a short distance. They performed an oil change (~$30.00 my dime). Now that I've paid for an oil change and have it full, they are initiating an Excessive Oil Consumption Test. I am to bring my car back to the dealer in 1,200 miles to determine how much oil my engine burns.

I will update after the oil consumption test is complete.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

At about 60,000 miles I got in my Camry to go to the store. I heard the lifters ticking. I checked the oil. There was none on the dipstick. I filled it with oil. It was three quarts low after driving about 3,500 miles since the last oil change.

This week I received a notice from Toyota that my car was one to be considered for a warranty enhancement repair to correct excessive oil consumption problem. The letter stated to contact Toyota and make an appointment to have them do an oil consumption test - free of charge. I called the dealership in Cincinnati and made the appointment. Upon arrival at the service bay, I was told they didn't have the kits to do the test and that it was made clear in the letter I received. NOT TRUE. The letter states that it would be late Spring before parts would be available to FIX the problem; not check to see if there is a problem.

A second letter would be sent, when parts become available, notifying me to schedule the repair if my vehicle qualified for the fix

This pisses me off. I got up early on a Saturday morning and drove fifty miles round trip to be told I can't read. As a secondary note, why did Toyota schedule me for a test if indeed they didn't have the kits to do the test?

- , Oxford, OH, USA

Jul 232011

Camry LE 2.4L

Oil consumption is unbelievably bad on this car. Toyota must do something about this!!! I only noticed after I started doing my own oil changes. The oil light will blink when I touch the brakes after an oil change and a few thousand miles. POS!

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Feb 082015

Camry LX

I am religious about changing my oil every 4,000 miles even on a 2009 Camry. I started burning through oil about a year ago. I have replaced the valve gaskets twice and am now adding oil every 2000 miles. I have an apt to have the car looked at again this weekend and am now seeing that this is not my driving, but at major Toyota issue.

I am interested in a class action.

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Nov 272014

Camry LE 2.4L

My 2009 Toyota Camry Le has a problem of excessive oil consumption, I really don't know what to do with it. The Toyota Company has to take the responsibility to fix the problem.

- , Toronto, OntarIo, canada

May 052013

My 2009 Toyota Camry has been using a quart or so of oil about every 3000 miles. I have had 2 different oil consumption test done at two different dealerships and told the same thing, that this is considered normal by Toyota guidelines. I have 1 month left on my extended warranty and don't know how to get them to fix the problem.

- , Rocky, Face, USA

Jan 012013

Camry LE 4 cyl

Excessive oil usage, get regular oil changes, oil light comes on 2,000 miles before next oil change is due.

- , Garnerville, NY, USA

Jun 192011

Camry LE 2.4L

Need to add oil every month. It is getting progressively bad. Took to dealership today 12/13/2014. They want me to come back when I put 1000 miles to see how much oil I am consuming. I will follow up and report back.

Update from Dec 20, 2014: I started seeing this issue arround 27000 miles. Now I have about 65500 miles. I have to add 2- 2.5 quarts of oil between Oil changes which I at 4-5 K. Presently doing oil consumption test with Toyota dealer. Have contacted Toyota customer service. They are giving my standard line of warrartycoverage is 5 /60 miles which ever comes first.

Update from Jan 9, 2015: 1/9/2015. Dear all . I got the following response regarding my complaint for "excessive oil consumption" form Toyota customer service.

According to our system, your 2009 Toyota Camry is potentially eligible for the following Customer Support Program, CSP: ZE7 Certain 2007 to 2009 Model Year Camry Extension of Warranty Coverage for 2AZ Engine Oil Consumption

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota is offering a Warranty Coverage Extension (CSP) for 2AZ Engine Oil Consumption for a period of:

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until October 31, 2016, regardless of mileage. After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Please be advised that damage incurred from abuse, a crash, vandalism or other non-warrantable causes are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or this Warranty Extension. The owner notification will commence in mid-December, 2014 and will be mailed over two months.

As there is no way to verify a warrantable concern until the vehicle is inspected, some dealers may charge a diagnostic fee on items that the owner feels should be covered under warranty. This fee will not be charged if the warranty coverage (CSP) applies. If the condition or cause is found to be a non-warranty covered item the diagnostic fee will be the responsibility of the customer.

Please continue to work with your local dealership to have the vehicle inspected and the condition verified.

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 092013

Camry SE 4 cyl

Tried of putting oil in car weekly. Please suggest what I need to do.

- , Sherwood, AR, USA

Dec 082014

Camry LE

Piece of crap... using oil like everybody else says. Complained and at first it cost 50 dollars for oil consumption test. Complained and got Donnie to do at no cost. Now 3 weeks in row. losing oil..

See what they do is fill the oil a quart over when doing oil changes. So when it does use it, and the person realizes its using oil, IT DOESN'T LOOK AS BAD..... Still complaining until I get satisfied.

- , Salisbury, NC, USA