CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

2. replace engine block (12 reports)
  3. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (10 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (9 reports)
  5. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (9 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (7 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jul 012014

Camry LE

My 2009 Camry began being low on oil each time I would have oil checked. Dealership suggested doing oil consumption tests, series of three checking every 1200 miles. I began in July 2014. Low every time. I have extended warranty, and they refused to cover. Toyota refuses to fix it, saying it is "normal" and not needed. I have done two, three 1200-mile oil consumption tests, driving an hour each way to the dealership. After receiving a notice from Toyota recognizing the problem, dealership told me yet another oil consumption test was required by Toyota. They put seals on my dip stick, oil cap and said not to check oil until returning at 1200 miles exactly. Mind you, I did not see if the oil was overfilled. Of course, when I returned the oil was not low! They said I could do another test in 6 months. Just a bunch of crap. This is my third Camry. So disappointed in Toyota. And DO NOT EVER BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY. They will not honor.

Update from Apr 7, 2016: I received a letter from Toyota six weeks ago recognizing the oil consumption problem and to take in for testing. I did this YET AGAIN with my dealership. I went back, as instructed, at 1100 miles this time. The car was a quart low. They put oil in it, and gave me a PASS on the oil consumption test. What ?!?!?!?!

Yes, Toyota says a quart of oil burned every 1100 miles is a Pass. Give me a break. Again, so disappointed in Toyota.

- , Middlesboro, KY, USA

Jun 032015

Camry LE 4 cyl

I had a problem with my Camry idling very rough when it was in drive at a stop. And even worse if the air was on. After taking it to the dealer for the 4th or 5th time. There was FINALLY a mechanic who reads the memos and checked the oil. There was less than 2,000 miles on the most recent change so he thought it might under the oil consumption problem with this engine.

He filled it and sealed everything up and put a tag on it when to return for a check. This was at 1,200 miles.

I brought it back at 1,100 miles because was going out of town and didn't want to go over the 1,200 mile limit that was set. It had used 1 quart of oil in 1,100 miles, and I was told that Toyota said this was normal.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

That's exactly what I told the service writer. How can this be normal? I'll have to add an extra 3qts of oil through the life of each oil change!!! I thought Toyotas were supposed to be good reliable cars that last almost forever.

Not if you don't add a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

Because come oil change time you'll be 3qts low and your main bearings will be starting to go!!!

I really liked this car and wanted to keep it for a long time. But after finding this out I don't know how safe it will be if Toyota won't admit it's fault and replace the engine.

- , Joliet, IL, USA

Dec 012011

Camry SE 2.4L

I bought this car mainly because of the current rating and low depreciation, at least that I was told back in 2008, however I was very astonish to find out it started consuming oil, about 1 quart on every oil change (5000 miles) on about the 3rd year of purchased. I took it to the dealer and to my surprise they told me that oil consumption of 1 quart every 600 miles was acceptable and sure enough the owner manual states the same. Today my car is consuming 2 quarts before every oil change with 125,000 miles and I do not think is going to get any better, it will get worse with more miles. I have owned several vehicles and never has oil consumption problems, currently own a Honda Fit 2008; the oil change is performed every 6,000 - 7,000 miles and not a drop of oil is burned.

I think our government or someone should intervene in this matter, I do not believe just because Toyota manufacturer makes a mistake in their engines design process, a fixing solution to that problem (oil consumption) would be to write it as normal in their user manual, it simply should not be accepted as right.

Imagine your self checking your engine every so often and buying oil to fill it up every 600 miles...it is simply an inconvenient not found in other vehicles...

- , Boqueron, Puerto Rico

Sep 172014

Camry

This seems to be a problem in this model of car. The excessive use of oil is a problem because eventuality it is going to have to be fixed and it is going to cost over 5k. Toyota is responsivble for this because I am reading and researching this is a DEFECT in this model.

- , Dyersburg, TN, USA

Jul 112014

Camry LE 2az-Fe

My Camry has excessive oil consumption. I went to get an oil change last summer and the guy said the car had no oil so he couldn't change it!! No oil light has ever come on! So since then I check the oil every 3 days! And I add oil every time.

I recently receive a letter from Toyota about the excessive oil consumption. My car is past the warranty. Even though they knew about it Toyota has done nothing to fix it. I called about the so called test. The first dealer said to bring it in and the would do the test. Oh but you have to pay $60 for the oil change and then come back to check it every certain amount of kilometers. And yes, the dealer said of course its normal to burn so much oil.

The second dealer I called told me a little more information. So even if you PAY $60 out of your pocket doesn't mean they will fix your car because I was told that you have to have EVERY SINGLE oil change ever done on your car since you bought it!!! or your warranty is null and void.

Toyota's doing every thing possible so they don't have to fix their defected vehicles!! They asked didn't you bring your car to Toyota for all your oil changes?? I said no I'm not rich! I'm a single hard working mom who goes to Walmart where the oil changes are $30!!! I love my Camry never had any other problems but this stupid oil problem.

So bottom line Toyota is ALLOWED too call this problem a warranty ENHANCEMENT rather than the real problem which should be a RECALL!! but then Toyota would have to foot the bill! Imagine taking responsibility for their products!!!! So I'm stuck with no help and a defected car!

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

May 302015

Camry LE 2.4L

Last time to change the engine oil, I observed that my car lost about half of 4.5 quarts. Wow, I thought the dealer put in the less amount when I put in for service. Now I know many people have this issue. Let see what Toyota will do about this. I guess I will start checking oil every 1000 miles.

- , Dora, GA, USA

Jan 052015

Camry LE 2.4L

My 2009 Camry is burning up a quart of oil every 1,100 miles and the dealer says this is normal.

- , North Royalton, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Camry ES 4

Checking the oil at every gas fill, and very concerned that oil must be refilled at every other gas fill? Really? What's going on?

I thought every engine needs oil to survive. Come on Toyota. You are supposed to be a reliable car. That's why I bought another Camry.

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 012013

Camry LE 2.4L V4

I bought used clean title 2009 Camry 2.5l V4 in 2013 at 115000 miles, and have to add engine oil every 1000 miles or every month. Toyota dealer sent me a recall warranty defect saying Toyota know about the engine oil consumption defect, and they try to correct the problem but do not know how yet. When they find the solution, they will contact me to have the car fixed. All I can do now is just wait, hopefully not forever. Also the radio stop working when parked under the sun and work after it cooled off. I will not buy Toyota. Thank you, God bless.

- , Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Feb 132013

Camry LE 4 cyl

Every time I got an oil change after a few years, it was always 1/2 quart low after 5000 miles. This last time it was 1 quarts low after 5000 miles. I'm now losing a quart every 5000 miles with 86,000 miles on it. That should be "excessive!"

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 262013

Camry SE 4 Cly

I purchased my 2009 Toyota Camry SE in March of 2008. I have always kept up on the required maintenance per the manufacturer. About 90% of the maintenance was performed at the Toyota Dealership and they are suppose to do a thorough check of the car indicating any area of concern with the car. The area of concern can be brakes, hoses, tires, etc. It's all labeled on the checklist.

The last time I had my oil changed was at Don McGuil Toyota in Houston, TX. I was alarmed because my engine began clicking as I was driving to the dealership to have the maintenance service performed. The engine had almost no oil in it, there was no oil as far as the dipstick could go. I informed the mechanic and they said the engine was okay. This clicking on the engine was between 500-1000 miles before the maintenance was actually due. At Toyota, I get the 5,000 mile maintenance done on my car.

The last three times I had my oil changed were at Jiffy Lube and Louetta Automotive and was serviced for oil up to 5,000 miles. Last week, I was checking my tire pressure before I hit the road for vacation. I checked the oil and there was no oil on the dipstick and my car was not due for an oil change for another 500 miles. I went to Jiffy Lube and they serviced my car for 5,000 and the technician told me the oil was probably burning up in the engine. The mechanic said he did not see any external leaks of oil from the engine.

After incurring this twice (that I know of) I am very disappointed because I have been a loyal Toyota customer. I found a TSB that was issued by Toyota in 2011 about defective seals on the the piston ring that could possibly cause a leak internally or where the oil is burning up. This is very disappointing that my oil is being burned up because of a manufacturer defect in the engine design. Toyota should be held accountable and do the right thing.

- , Houston, USA

Mar 012015

Camry

I have an excessive oil leak and when I took it to the dealer they decided that it needed in excess of $4,000 worth of work before they could test it. I have never in 36 years had problems with Toyota but this is the first use car I bought and I have had to put a lot of money in it. Now, I do not have $4,000 for them to test why I HAVE THE PROBLEM THEY ARE CONCERNED ABOUT. EXCESSIVE OIL.

- , Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Mar 312015

Camry 3/2lV6

My service engine light came on. I was 250 miles from my next oil change. Then the Engine Oil light came on, first time since I have owned this car. I pulled into a repair shop and the guy said I was over 3 quarts low and added oil. I received a recall from Toyota shorty after that stating the recall was for Excessive Oil Consumption.

I took it to the Toyota Dealer and they made made me drive the car another 1250 miles they said it was the Oil Consumption Test....I took it back and the tech said clearly there was a problem and that to keep calling him back every month as TOYOTA had not yet sent them a FIX for this problem. My car should last another 100K miles. I have done everything to take care of the maintenance of this car. I have everything documented.

I think everyone with this problem and there are probably many should get together a Class Action Suit against Toyota so they will fix these cars. Why should we the consumer suffer for Toyota's poor quality cars.

- , Laporte, TX, USA

Jul 152011

Camry LE 2.4l4

Shortly after car was bought I notice it was using a lot of oil. I called Toyota about it, and they said it needed too have new rings put in at my expense. I ask them if I was the only person with this problem. Which they said they didn't know. Then I ask if they were aware of the problem which they said no but they would do an oil consumption test to see how much oil it used but there was no recall or warranty to take care of the problem. I've owned Toyota before and never had any problems they were good cars.

What makes me mad is that they lied to me. Toyota knew this problem existed and that there was a lot of people who had the same problem. I wasn't going to do anything about the problem because the oil is cheaper than anew engine. The customer who buys these cars work hard for the money to buy a car and they trust that the maker will stand behind there work. Toyota would not be honest with me about there problem. I will never buy another Toyota as long as I live.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 202014

Camry EX 2.2L

We have had problems with excessive oil consumption for our last 3 oil change cycles. I just spoke with the dealer and they said I have to wait for the letter from the dealer.

- , Union City, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

Camry

We have had problems with excessive oil consumption for our last 4 oil change cycles. Finally received letter from Toyota about the problem and immediately took our Camry to Riley Toyota in Jefferson City MO. They did the oil consumption test and it failed yesterday. Bob, the service guy, said he has no idea when Toyota would start the repairs, they are "waiting to see how many vehicles are affected" until then, check oil regularly and add as needed. REALLY, why doesn't Toyota begin making the parts now for those they KNOW are affected and get started with the repairs. I asked Bob what happens if my engine blows before Toyota wants to fix it. Will Toyota cover it?? Bob said, "not if its due to neglect". Hey Bob, we do not neglect out vehicles, that's why I'm here in the first place!!! That's why I had my mechanic try to find out the problem in 2014 when it first started burning the oil. We have purchased our last 3 vehicles through Riley Toyota and if this Camry situation isn't rectified quickly and to our satisfaction, we may have to go back to Hondas and Dodges.

- , Jefferson City, MO, USA

Feb 222013

Camry SE 4cl

I purchased my 2009 Camry brand new in July of 2008. From the time of my very first oil change and tire rotation I have had major problems with this car in which I have filed a complaint with the Toyota Manufacturer.

I have always checked my oil when putting gas in it. At 65000 miles I noticed that the oil was starting to get low. I added oil then took it to the dealership to have it checked. They replaced the oil pan seal as a precaution. It still lost oil. I took it back and the mechanic said the car was completely dry there are no leaks anywhere. The car had to be burning oil. The only way to fix it was to replace the block which was very expensive or to keep adding oil as needed. I asked if there was any other complaints on Camry burning oil, I was told NO WE'VE NEVER HAD ANYONE ELSE COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS.

I add 2.5 quarts of oil to my car in between oil changes. My car now has 129300 miles on it. I received notice from Toyota about doing an oil consumption test, I called the manufacturer and explained to them what my car was doing. I was told by them that the test would show what the car was doing. If my car met the requirements then they would fix it when the parts became available. I asked how much oil does your car have to burn in order to qualify for the repairs. She didn't know. I was told that the dealerships would be the ones to make that decision.

Ok I had the oil consumption test done. In 1200 miles my car burn .5 quart of oil. Which proved that in between oil changes I would in fact have to put 2,5 quarts of oil in my car. Well, that's not what happened. The dealership says that it is normal for my car to use 2.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have the right to have another test done. But if the car doesn't burn more that 1.1 quarts of oil in a 1200 mile range then it doesn't qualify for any repairs. ALSO, THEY WILL ONLY EXTEND THE WARRANTY TO COVER THE CAR UP TO 150000 MILES. WELL, THAT MEANS I ONLY HAVE 20000 MILES LEFT TO PUSH FOR MY CAR TO BE FIXED EVEN THOUGH THE PROBLEM WAS FOUND AT 65000 MILES.

I purchased this Camry because I bought a 1997 Toyota 4 runner. I now have 290000 miles on it and it DOES NOT BURN ONE DROP OF OIL. So, HOW CAN TOYOTA NOW SAY THAT IT IS NORMAL FOR YOUR CAR TO BURN OIL.

To go onto other issues with this car. It makes a popping cracking noise almost like a tin can bending. It only does it during the winter months. Again, TOYOTA SAYS THAT CRAP IS NORMAL FOR CARS TO MAKE THESE TYPE OF NOISES. Or it is blamed on ME DRIVING A SUV AND I NEED TO RETRAIN MYSELF HOW TO DRIVE A CAR. Really Toyota????

At first I was so excited that Toyota was finally going to step up and fix this LEMON I bought.. BUT NOOO. ITS FREAKING NORMAL!!!!! I AM INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

- , Verona, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

The Dealer says I must wait two or three months for parts to resolve this problem. I like my 2009 Camry problem is the internal engine parts have problems CHEEP I have had the compression checked prior to taking this problem to a trusted dealer Hamer Toyota, Inc Mission Hills Ca. The test showed low compression due to BAD internal parts [RINGS/VALVES] in addition the emission/catalytic convertor are clogged with BURT OIL CARBON'S this is one of the reasons the check engine display is ON currently the engine is consuming [3.5+ of oil every 1000 miles [ This car should go easy 250000 miles with no oil burning the same as my old 2000 CAMRY TOYOTA PICKED THE WRONG PARTS SUPPLY FOR THIS ONE!

- , Acton, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Camry SE 4.0L

Finally got dealer to admit there is a problem, however it will be months before Toyota can provide parts?????

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 162013

Camry SE 4 cyl

At 98,000 miles I went to change the oil. I had been changing it every 3,000 miles since I purchased it. When I look at the amount of oil in the drain pan I thought that something had clogged the oil drain hole in the crankcase. Literally there was only about 2 quarts of oil that drained. I was afraid to put oil because I was convinced that there was still oil in the crankcase.

Once I realized that was all the oil in the engine I was just shocked. My oil light never came on and my temperature gauge never went past medium. I had changed the oil and started checking it regularly to find out that I am burning a quart of oil every 750 miles. I tried thickening agents but did not help at all.

Now with a 147,000 miles I need to add a quart of oil every 500 miles. I took the engine oil consumption test and did get confirmation that it excessively consuming oil but that was months ago and I have not heard a thing from Toyota since. This is my first Toyota and was told to buy one because you can drive them for 300k if you maintain it. I will never buy one again and will tell everyone as well. Toyota send a note saying that once they have the materials to make the repairs they would be in contact with me. I honestly believe they are just hoping I sell the car first.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA