Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2. replace engine block (13 reports)
  3. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (11 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (10 reports)
  5. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (10 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (9 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Aug 012015

Camry LX 2.4L

My Camry started consuming oil in excess of over a quart on a monthly bases. I have taken the car to the dealership so they can run the 1200 mile oil consumption test, the results they said was normal. So is normal for Toyota to said that is normal for a Camry to consume over a quart of oil every month. Toyota have loose my business as a costumer, I will never buy a Toyota again.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 022015

Camry XLE 4

After having regular oil changes performed, the low engine oil low compressor light started coming on. Even though I have regular oil changes by dealer before the next oil change due the indicator light is coming on, Dealer start the test and say that it pass however before next oil change is due problem start up again.

Service Adviser and mechanic hands are tied because they are doing what Toyota requires but the problem continues. Had oil change 2-19-16 at 98451 and before the next oil change is due I had to carry my car back to dealer on 4-27-16 because of the low oil compressor light indicator is on. Adviser told me to add 2 quarts of oil because the last consumption test was done on 10-31-15 and I have to wait until the 6 months is up. However before the next oil change was due and the dealer had topped off the oil and said I had to wait.

On 5-4-16, carried car for engine oil light, the service tell said he added 1 quart of oil today which is a total of 3 quarts in less than 7 days. They marked the oil dip stick and sealed the oil cap and said don't add any oil but If I didn't add any oil on 4-27-16, I would probably have a locked engine and they would say that I fail to properly maintain or ignored my service.

The engine has failed but Toyota does not want to fix the car. I understand cost is about $4 to $5K to fix it. This is outside of the my standard and extended warranty because I have to keep driving the car which is now about 101K. I am told to bring car back for the 3rd time to see if it passes within 1200. I am very disappointed with my Toyota Camry and its performance.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 052016

My 2009 Toyota Camry used 0.6 quarts of oil in 1,064 miles. I've heard countless stories about similar or worse problems with Toyotas from other people.

It disgusted me to receive a letter from Toyota informing me that my vehicle may require repair under the excessive engine oil consumption warranty enhancement, or whatever the Hell they're calling it, have the inconvenience of tracking mileage for 1,000+ mileage, only to be told that my car passed. The fact that it used 0.6 quarts of oil in 1,064 miles was considered to be "normal" to Toyota's standards.

The reason I jumped at the chance to have the car tested is simple . . . I've had it for about the last 30,000 miles of its existence and I've been putting oil in it the entire time. Sometimes it amounts to one quart of oil in 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

Neither of the statistics I have described is acceptable. Considering the fact that it is now at almost 99,000 miles, I have to wonder how long the car will last. One thing I can say for sure: It was my first and definitely my last Toyota.

I will gladly tell EVERY single human being that I have contact with about my experience and how Toyota's tagline in the letter they sent me, "Toyota stands behind its product," is a complete crock of bullshit!!!

One very dissatisfied, upset customer, Roya Oshrieh

- , Shelbyville, KY, USA

Mar 152016

Camry LE 2.4L

Brought the car in as soon as I received the oil consumption letter back in march. I had 98k on the odometer. after 1200 miles (mid April), I came back and they measured the oil. My car burned 1.75 qts of oil in that time, which was "highly excessive" according to my advisor. I left the car immediately with them so they could start the repair process. I've been without my car for almost a month, I'm told the bearings are on national back order. Perfect. I'm a little worried that I'm going to have problems with the engine after I get the vehicle back, I will update with more info later!

Update from Jun 2, 2016: Now, after hitting 101k miles.... 101,005 to be exact... I checked my oil and it seems pretty low, which is raising a red flag to me. The plot thickens... I mean, after replacing all of that, barely driving 1300-1500 miles and my oil levels are decreasing this much? Now, I know that some consumption is normal but when i've previously checked oil on previous, non Toyota, vehicles, the dipstick doesn't seem to register any loss of oil. I guess it's back to Toyota!

- , Pawtucket, RI, USA

Jan 152016

Camry LE 3.2L

Took Camry into Janzen Toyota Stillwater OK for Oil consumption test and after 1000-1200 mile test it used 1 full qt. In my book 1 quart of consumption in 1000 miles is too much. Now I have to wait 5000 miles or 6 months to go through this "TEST" again. I think this is a racket and Toyota is not willing to fix their problem. If not, why waste the stamps to send me the warranty enhancement for this problem, When they know it is a PROBLEM!! Waste of my time!

- , Blackwell, OK, USA

Apr 012016

I just bought this car on March 4, 2016 after having to get rid of my Corolla due to an auto accident that was not my fault. The salesman was very much in a hurry to get this car in my possession. I should have known there was an issue. I called to complain about the oil level and they want me to pay for an oil change to do an oil consumption test. After doing more research - I see it is a known issue and there was a class action lawsuit and they still have the nerve to ask me to pay for a portion of it.

I never had an issue with my other Toyota - and this actually deters me from wanting to buy another. I used to think that Toyota had the best service - but now - I would say no. They know this is an issue and they should have inspected the car better. Toyota certified inspection my Arse!

- , Lehighton, PA, USA

Jun 092014

Camry LE 2.4L

Have been facing excessive oil consumption for more than a year. The oil consumption test "passed"per Toyota standards the first time. Meanwhile the problem got really bad. Had to add oil every 2k refused to test again as reportedly oil consumption test can be done once in 6 months.

Finally completed the re test today . It FAILED.

I have known this for almost 2 years, but Toyota officially acknowledged the problem today!

Someone will call me for engine rebuild and it "should" be covered under extended warranty. I was told that the actual repair may take a few months..

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 152014

Camry LE 4 Cil

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

How many Toyota cars are polluting our world? They don't care about it. They care just about profit... This is the Kyoto protocol to TOYOTA With Canada....

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 062016

Camry LE 2.4L

Received letter from Toyota to take car in for an oil consumption test. Took the car to Prime Toyota in Boston and was told the oil pan gasket needed to be replace before the test. I told the service advisor that car is not leaking any oil, I had changed the oil and filter the night before and all was bone dried around the oil pan. Advisor told me there was a little seepage in one of the corners and it would cost $420.00 to fix it.

Got my car out of there, got home and got underneath to check and there was no leak. Service advisor refused to perform my oil consumption test until I got the oil pan seal replaced, which is unnecessary. I felt that from the get go he was bothered by me going in for help.

I have been a Toyota family for 30 years. I guess after this experience I will never buy another Toyota. I called the Toyota consumer hotline and am waiting for a call. My car has been burning about 3 quarts of oil in 1200 miles. Toyota motors is not the same that I knew years ago. I am extremely dissatisfied with this dealership.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Oct 012012

Camry LE

I have been adding between 2 and 3 litres of oil, every couple of weeks, for over 2 years. Ridiculous. Not buying Toyota, ever again .

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 042016

Camry SE 2.4L V4

i had my camrry for about 2 months now i bought it used, i bought it was 133450 miles on it and now it was about 135k miles i barely even put 2k miles on it and it broke down on me already. as i was driving my oil light, engine light, and battery light came on at the sametime and the car just turned off. i took it to the dealership and they said it was the oil consumption. wow barely 2 months ive had it and they suggest to replace the engine. they gave me a rental for however long it takes to fix it. but this shouldn't be happening. thanks a lot Toyota you suck!

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Jan 302011

Camry LE 2.4L 4-cyl

Purchased brand new 2009 Camry in late '08. Had all regular maintenance performed meticulously by the selling dealership. By the 3rd year of ownership, the excessive oil consumption problem became noticeable. Servicing dealership insisted that this was "normal", and to "keep a close eye on it".

The sheer volume of oil being consumed (despite no leaks and no smoke from anywhere) was not only expensive, but a constant worry. Now I am reading on this forum that some people have received an extension of their engine warranty by Toyota to appease owners with this problem. We've not received any word on such a warranty extension from Toyota or our dealership.

Now that we're looking to purchase a replacement vehicle, this issue with this car is preventing us from moving forward (despite it being in immaculate cosmetic condition). Who would want to buy this vehicle without the assurance that this problem will be addressed properly by Toyota instead of getting the runaround until the engine fails?).

Anyone know how to obtain this extended engine warranty or how to get the problem fixed under the original warranty (as we have documentation of the service manager's admonition to "keep an eye on it" while it was still under manufacturer's warranty)?

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 092016

Camry SE 2.4L 4 cyl

Just got Warranty Enhancement Notification - ZE7 from Toyota on my '09 Camry SE. So I went out to check the oil level and its 1/2 quart low @ 61,456 miles. I change the oil & know it is always at the complete full after setting for 30-60 minutes after the change. They will only cover 10 years on this issue and i will not get to the excessive mileage for that period. Just starting process. Will keep informed.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 012014

Camry LX 2.4L I-4

My Camry is eating oil like kids like coca cola. I need to ass 2Qt every 1.5 K. No oil leaks. It is burns it...

- , Atlanta, USA

Jan 012015

Camry LE V6

I bought the car from someone else in 2014. The oil consumption situation was an issue and I was doing the oil change almost every month to two months. I never got a letter of the recall or anything else.

The oil change light barely turn on. It did when the car was already almost empty and I needed to run and do an oil change very quick. One day the light was on at all times and the engine light went on too.

I took it to the mechanic and they couldn't got figure out the problem quick enough and suggested for me to take the car to the Toyota dealer.

Just a few days later, on my way home with my kid the car broke. It stopped in the middle of the freeway and it was towed to my home. I never made it to the dealer. When a mechanic came home to look at the car and open the motor, a piece was broken in the inside (I have the picture). That same day, I picked up my mail and there it was a letter from Toyota with the VIN number of my car, asking me to take to car to the dealer for a test on Excessive Engine Oil Consumption.

I don't know what to do. I call a Toyota dealer and they said to bring the car for the test, but the car doesn't move.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Dec 102015

Camry LS

Less than 60 days after an oil change by the Toyota dealer, an inspection found a nearly empty oil reservoir. Toyota did an oil consumption test and set everything was normal. I then drove 400 highway miles only to have the dipstick read low on oil again. Now I have to wait six months until I can do a second oil consumption test. In the meantime I can't even drive one leg of my regular trip to families without stopping to check in and oil.

Also, the service manager told me that running the engine with nearly no oil with extremely low oil would not hurt the engine - that there would not be any excessive wear when the oil was several quarts low. Preposterous!

What happened to the credibility of Toyota?

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 072016

Camry LE 4-cyl

Engine light came on, followed by the oil light when braking. Took the care in to get checked out and I was told there was only 2 qts of oil in the engine. It had only been about 2500 miles since the last oil change. No leaks or smoke. The reason I bought the Camry in the first place was so I needed have to deal with crap like this.

Update from Feb 7, 2016: The Camry was down about a quart after less than 1K miles. Low and behold I got a letter from Toyota stating they have a problem and are extending the warranty for this problem to 10 years or 150K miles. Let's see what they find.

Update from Feb 18, 2016: Responding to an email from Paul M. The source of the letter I received was Toyota Sales (I don't have the letter in front of me). The letter states, if you car is found to have the problem the warranty will be extended to 10 years or 150K miles. I've started the oil consumption test and have been instructed to return the car between 1150-1300 miles to determine whether it qualifies for the warranty extension. Now I was at the Toyota dealer on a Monday morning and there were at least two other parties there for the exact same problem. One of them was just completing the test and I heard the service manager tell them that the test had failed and that they would contact them for a repair date. Judging from the letter, it sounds like Toyota is having to ramp up manufacturing of the parts so there may be a significant wait to get the car fixed. I will keep this post up to date as things progress.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 012015

Everytime we go in for an oil change they say the car is low. I have to add a quart or two to make sure it makes it to the next oil change.

- , Smith Station, AL, USA

Jan 112016

A few days ago the "low oil pressure" light flickered. Last evening 1/10/16 it flickered a few times. This morning 1/11/16 I had my cousin check the oil level and he said it was extremely low and had me go to my service place and they had to add 3 quarts of oil! I am very diligent in having my oil changed and car maintained. This has never happened before. I am due for an oil change in 700 more miles and they will check it out at that time. I am not happy about this!

- , Russellville, AL, USA

Oct 252015

Camry LE

Purchased car Nov 2014, ( 2nd owner) drive very little so first oil change after purchase was Oct 25, 2015 at recommended (5000) mileage 85,000. Oil was 1.1 qts low. My Valvoline dealer will monitor oil consumption for me to establish a pattern. No oil warning or usage noted. I am a single 74 yrs old female and I am really angry as I thought this would be my last car to purchase. I have joined a class action suit for this issue.

- , Longmont, CO, USA