CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

2. replace engine block (10 reports)
  3. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (9 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (8 reports)
  5. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (8 reports)
  6. starting the excessive oil consumption test (5 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 012014

Camry 2.5L 4 cyl

It's funny (well not really), I didn't see this site until just after I bought my 09 Camry with 55000 miles and I said, uh-oh. Guess what, this bad boy is burning oil as well. I don't know exactly how much but it's burning maybe a quart every 2,000 miles? I do my own oil changes and know my way around a car a little bit so it's not a big deal adding oil, I just hope it doesn't get worse or cause any problems.

Toyota did just send me a letter saying they would fix it but it has to burn like a qt every 1000 or so, I forget but I'm not that bad yet... Anyway, I'm gonna hold out for a little while but if things start to act up I'm taking it straight back to Carmax. ;)

- , havre de grace, MD Maryland, USA

Jun 012010

Camry 4 cyl

Our 2009 Camry started burning way too much oil between oil changes & we were told that it was normal for a 4 cyl engine. I have had to make NUMEROUS AND EXPENSIVE repairs due to this oil consumption issue. Now, I have another round of repairs to make AGAIN due to this oil consumption issue AGAIN!!

I don't feel I should pay for these repairs again yet, the dealer & Toyota will do nothing at all to help me. They finally agreed to rebuild the engine at no charge after being confronted with the fact that there is a "warranty extension" initiated by Toyota. They claim that there will not be any parts available until April unless I want to pay for it myself (then they can get the car in quickly) and apply for possible reimbursement at a later time but, wouldn't say how long it would take to MAYBE get the money back.

We have been calling the dealer and Toyota begging for help because the car will not last until the parts arrive in April. No one will give us a loaner, fix it etc!! My husband is a salesman and has to make a living using this car!!!! We don't have $3,000 or $4,000 just lying around for a new engine (that we shouldn't have to pay for anyway), and we certainly can't afford another car right now!! I believe Toyota is intentionally delaying manufacturing of the parts so that people will give up and junk the car so they can fix thousands of fewer cars at their expense. We will never buy a Toyota again!!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 062015

Camry SE 4.2L V4

Last week the engine oil light was on. To verify the amount of engine oil only had 1 qt. The car you always changed the oil in the Toyota dealer. On Tuesday February 17, I came a letter from Toyota indicate where my Toyota has excessive oil consumption. In the coming days I'll be heading to dealer for verification.

The car was about to break the motor by not having oil.

- , Toa Alta, PR, Puerto Rico

Jan 222015

Camry SE 2.4L

I've read all of the complaints and agree with the frustration. My dilemma started last week. My oil pressure light blinked on/off (if you blinked, you missed it). I figured I'd take it to my local dealer. Little oil registering on the dipstick. Called the Toyota Dealer service dept to see if I should have the car towed or drive it in. Service guy advised driving it in since it was a short distance. They performed an oil change (~$30.00 my dime). Now that I've paid for an oil change and have it full, they are initiating an Excessive Oil Consumption Test. I am to bring my car back to the dealer in 1,200 miles to determine how much oil my engine burns.

MY MAIN FRUSTRATION IS THAT THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT SHOULD HAVE STAYED ON SCREAMING LIKE THE MAINTENANCE LIGHT IS PROGRAMMED TO COME ON WHEN IT'S TIME TO PAY TOYOTA FOR MAINTENANCE SERVICE.

I will update after the oil consumption test is complete.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

At about 60,000 miles I got in my Camry to go to the store. I heard the lifters ticking. I checked the oil. There was none on the dipstick. I filled it with oil. It was three quarts low after driving about 3,500 miles since the last oil change.

This week I received a notice from Toyota that my car was one to be considered for a warranty enhancement repair to correct excessive oil consumption problem. The letter stated to contact Toyota and make an appointment to have them do an oil consumption test - free of charge. I called the dealership in Cincinnati and made the appointment. Upon arrival at the service bay, I was told they didn't have the kits to do the test and that it was made clear in the letter I received. NOT TRUE. The letter states that it would be late Spring before parts would be available to FIX the problem; not check to see if there is a problem.

A second letter would be sent, when parts become available, notifying me to schedule the repair if my vehicle qualified for the fix

This pisses me off. I got up early on a Saturday morning and drove fifty miles round trip to be told I can't read. As a secondary note, why did Toyota schedule me for a test if indeed they didn't have the kits to do the test?

- , Oxford, OH, USA

Jul 232011

Camry LE 2.4L

Oil consumption is unbelievably bad on this car. Toyota must do something about this!!! I only noticed after I started doing my own oil changes. The oil light will blink when I touch the brakes after an oil change and a few thousand miles. POS!

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Feb 082015

Camry LX

I am religious about changing my oil every 4,000 miles even on a 2009 Camry. I started burning through oil about a year ago. I have replaced the valve gaskets twice and am now adding oil every 2000 miles. I have an apt to have the car looked at again this weekend and am now seeing that this is not my driving, but at major Toyota issue.

I am interested in a class action.

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Nov 272014

Camry LE 2.4L

My 2009 Toyota Camry Le has a problem of excessive oil consumption, I really don't know what to do with it. The Toyota Company has to take the responsibility to fix the problem.

- , Toronto, OntarIo, canada

May 052013

Camry

My 2009 Toyota Camry has been using a quart or so of oil about every 3000 miles. I have had 2 different oil consumption test done at two different dealerships and told the same thing, that this is considered normal by Toyota guidelines. I have 1 month left on my extended warranty and don't know how to get them to fix the problem.

- , Rocky, Face, USA

Jan 012013

Camry LE 4 cyl

Excessive oil usage, get regular oil changes, oil light comes on 2,000 miles before next oil change is due.

- , Garnerville, NY, USA

Jun 192011

Camry LE 2.4L

Need to add oil every month. It is getting progressively bad. Took to dealership today 12/13/2014. They want me to come back when I put 1000 miles to see how much oil I am consuming. I will follow up and report back.

Update from Dec 20, 2014: I started seeing this issue arround 27000 miles. Now I have about 65500 miles. I have to add 2- 2.5 quarts of oil between Oil changes which I at 4-5 K. Presently doing oil consumption test with Toyota dealer. Have contacted Toyota customer service. They are giving my standard line of warrartycoverage is 5 /60 miles which ever comes first.

Update from Jan 9, 2015: 1/9/2015. Dear all . I got the following response regarding my complaint for "excessive oil consumption" form Toyota customer service.

According to our system, your 2009 Toyota Camry is potentially eligible for the following Customer Support Program, CSP: ZE7 Certain 2007 to 2009 Model Year Camry Extension of Warranty Coverage for 2AZ Engine Oil Consumption

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota is offering a Warranty Coverage Extension (CSP) for 2AZ Engine Oil Consumption for a period of:

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until October 31, 2016, regardless of mileage. After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Please be advised that damage incurred from abuse, a crash, vandalism or other non-warrantable causes are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or this Warranty Extension. The owner notification will commence in mid-December, 2014 and will be mailed over two months.

As there is no way to verify a warrantable concern until the vehicle is inspected, some dealers may charge a diagnostic fee on items that the owner feels should be covered under warranty. This fee will not be charged if the warranty coverage (CSP) applies. If the condition or cause is found to be a non-warranty covered item the diagnostic fee will be the responsibility of the customer.

Please continue to work with your local dealership to have the vehicle inspected and the condition verified.

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 092013

Camry SE 4 cyl

Tried of putting oil in car weekly. Please suggest what I need to do.

- , Sherwood, AR, USA

Dec 082014

Camry LE

Piece of crap... using oil like everybody else says. Complained and at first it cost 50 dollars for oil consumption test. Complained and got Donnie to do at no cost. Now 3 weeks in row. losing oil..

See what they do is fill the oil a quart over when doing oil changes. So when it does use it, and the person realizes its using oil, IT DOESN'T LOOK AS BAD..... Still complaining until I get satisfied.

- , Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 012014

Camry LE 4 cyl

After purchasing my Camry in late August, 2014, with 87,000 miles on it, I discovered it burns about 1 to 1.5 qts of oil in between oil changes at 4-5,000 miles. I have not found any leaks whatsoever. It is annoying to have to add oil but my bigger concern is just whether there is any damage being done in the engine? I mean, where is the oil going? Is it leaking into the cylinders and burning with the gasoline combustion?

- , Georgetown, KY, USA

Oct 062012

Camry 2.4L

This really unbelievable and not acceptable, how can an engine consume oil at 100000km, that if it didn't start before and I didn't know about. Also, how can that not be a major problem and requires recall when thousands of Camry's have this issue. This is complete rip off and hope that someone starts class action lawsuit against Toyota!

- , London, ON, canada

Jan 152011

Camry

Toyota manual says 1.1 quart of oil per 600 miles is the level that they will address the oil consumption problem. My 2009 Camry was consuming a quart every 1,000 miles, a nuisance and minor expense. Buyers should know this and make their own decision.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Camry V4

2009 Toyota camry bought new and maintained at the dealership I bought it from. The one time I didn't bring the car to the dealership I was told there was barely any oil in the car. Started checking it and noticed it was burning oil, nothing leaked. After bringing it into the dealership I was told to replace engine or just keeping adding oil. Called Toyota corporate and vented to them as well and they told me since my car is out of warranty there's nothing they can do. I bought the Camry new because I thought they were a dependable vehicle, boy was I wrong...never again!

- , Hanover, MN, USA

Jun 042014

Camry SE 4

went into dealer for 75000 mile service and was told as I was checking out that my oil was about 1 qt low. never had this happen in the past, but now I'm due for 80k service and I checked my oil last week..low again. now I have read info online and think this is not an isolated issue. wth?

- , Troy, OH, USA

Oct 012011

Camry 2.4L

I just want it fixed, it is too annoying to keep adding oil before it reaches the miles for next oil change.

- , Surrey, BC, canada

Sep 152014

Camry LE 4cly

Went to Toyota at 99123 miles, told them I had to add 3 quarts of oil during the last oil change cycle. Was told they had to do an oil consumption test. Did that, it used 21/2 quarts of oil in the next 5000 miles. Called the dealer who told me they need to do another test, but he also told me that Toyota said using a quart of oil every 1000 miles was normal. The car has a lifetime warranty on the engine, but if the car didn't use I quart of oil in 1000 miles there was nothing he could do for me.

Using 5 quarts of oil between oil changes is CRAZY!!!!!

- , Haw River, NC, USA