CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.2

$1,680.00

2. replace engine block (9 reports)
  3. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (8 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (3 reports)
  5. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (3 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 102012

Camry SE 2.4L

I bought a certified 2009 camry in 2011 with 35000 miles and from my first oil change about 40000 miles I told them that it seems to be either leaking oil or burning it. Each time they told me its normal for this car but looking back on my bills they never wrote my concerns on my bills. Now with 96010 miles on car (100000 mile warranty)I checked oil after 4500 miles on this oil change and I had to add one full qt of oil before I could even get a reading on dipstick. I had it service 4 days later and they said I was 1.7 Qts short and now I had them add it on my bill of record and they will check in 1200 miles to see if I have a claim. WTF if ?? They know its a problem google it. They released a TSB-0094-11 for this engine but they are making us Toyota people wanting to switch auto makers for our next car. I hope they make good on my warranty. I will update this site what happens, stay tuned.

- , Rootstown, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Camry LE 2.4L

USING 2 QUARTS BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. Toyota says this is normal.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jun 212013

Camry LE 4

I bought my Camry end of 2008, it's a 2009 model. I never check oil level because I think the car is new until now, only 100.000 miles and started loosing oil. But last year I want go San Jose so I check the oil, it is below the low level, really bad. I call Toyota to find out, they said that is normal. My car every 600 miles have to add 1quart. Only car that needs to add oil every two weeks, something is not right. I have since every 3000 miles, oil changed still the same. I called Toyota more then 3 times, they still say normal. Looks like I have to trade out this car, no more Toyota Camry .......

Update from Dec 11, 2014: My 2009 camry is 60.000 miles losing more then last 6 month every 500 miles need to one quart of oil is just like the car over 200;000 miles , I been try the thick oil 5w30 is not that bad but the car is no power ....toyota don t want to fix they say is normal

- , Rosemead, CA, USA

Nov 042013

Camry LE 4 cyl

I bought this car believing I would have a reliable vehicle for at least 200,00 miles - it is, after all a TOYOTA. But soon after I drove off the lot trouble began. First it was the mold issue due to a poorly designed drainage system. I had to get the carpet professionally clean and spent $$$ on Lysol in an attempt to kill the mold that was lingering inside the elusive AC coil/core. I was going to spend $600 to get that problem fixed when I was told the front end needed work - $650. After that I checked the oil on a whim and there was nothing on the dip stick. That happened again when I checked it a month later.

When the mechanic looked at it he said Toyota did a horrible job designing their 4 cyl. My choices were to add oil every week or get rid of the car. Changing engines would be costly and ultimately lead to the same issue with the next one. My previous car was also a Toyota. Funny thing is, I had to sell that because, after only 60K miles, two cylinders went bad! In addition, that car's drainage hose got clogged too, soaking the carpet in the process. I will never recommend Toyota to anyone.

I no longer have the Camry. Toyota will not take responsibility for what they have placed on the market. If they would have been accountable for these vehicles that have so many inherent issues, that would be one thing. But they don't, leaving their customers in the lurch to scramble to keep the cars on the road and out of the garage.

- , Owens Mills, MD, USA

Apr 102013

Camry

I have had it with toyota. I've contacted them numerous times about my car consuming oil every short drive i take but they tell me i have to come out of pocket with money that i dont have .

- , katy, TX, USA

Jun 262009

Camry SE 4 cyl

My Camry is burning oil, I first noticed this when I came to a stop, my oil light came on, I reported it to the dealer and I was told that it is normal for it to burn a quart of oil for every 800 miles. My brother being a mechanic told me that was a lie, losing that much oil there has to be a oil leak to burn that much oil, so I took it back to the dealer/shop and brought this to their attention again and was told the same thing that it was normal and when I find out that it is low, bring it back to the shop. I did this and been doing this every time the oil is low and was told they could not find anything wrong that would cause it to burn oil. I am tired of being told lies by the Toyota dealer and I am also tired of checking my engine every two weeks to make sure the oil level is where is should be. Let's face it Toyota need to fess up that THIS IS a problem the 2009 Camry has, problem with it burning oil. Toyota need to do a recall and fix the problem.

- , Hyattsville, MD, USA

Aug 012012

Camry SE 4 cyl

My 2009 Toyota Camry SE was using oil on the first oil change after purchasing the vehicle. The engine had approx. 35,000 miles on it at purchase. We have had 2 oil consumption tests done on it. Actually we are in the 2nd one now. On the last oil change, the mechanic said we needed to have another consumption test done because there was barely any oil on the dip stick at oil change. This was after I had added a quart to it.

This is crazy that Toyota thinks this is normal. I know nothing will be done about this, it is a waste of my time driving 30 minutes every 1000 miles to have the oil topped off for this test. I really would like to drive it to Milton Martin Toyota and park it in their lot with the payment book inside the car. Very frustrated!

- , Mt. Airy, GA, USA

May 012013

Camry LE V4

My wife wanted to purchase a Honda Accord , but I wanted a Camry. She followed my choice to make me feel happy. On July 4th 2008, I purchased an 09 Camry El from the Toyota dealership.

One day my son's Acura came back and he asked me to check it for him. This prompted me to check out the Toyota. I realized there was absolutely no oil inside the engine. So I refilled it and etc etc, it was gone again. My wife did not believe me, thinking it was old age. But after doing research online, this fast consumption of oil seems to be a very common occurrence. I find myself pouring 1 bottle of oil every month.

I encourage Toyota to do something about this. I called to inquire about this problem and they told me it's because I let someone outside the dealership change the oil. I feel that Toyota knows this to be a common complaint and appears that they refuse to address the problem. Possibly legal action?

- , Lakewood, CA, USA

Aug 272010

Camry LE 4 cyl

This excessive oil consumption started immediately. When I reported it to Toyota they claimed it was normal however as time goes on the problem is getting worse. I go thru at least 8 qts of oil in a week and this is not a cheap fix, $2500 to fix it or a new engine which will cost $6,000 or more. It is not covered under a warranty.

I think it is ridiculous that Toyota knowing it is due to defective piston rings is taken no responsibility for it .Watch what you buy !!!!!!

- , Whitinsville, Mass, USA

Apr 132012

Camry LE

My first car and what a shame. 50K miles and I need to check oil level every 800 miles just in case .

I took my car to dealer, they want to run a test which would state the known and charge me money for it. I say no thanks. Problem is not solved. I continuously check and add oil as needed. It is annoying.

Who would have known that Toyota would be such a miserable investment.

No more Toyota for me. Bad experience, too bad for Toyota because it's my last time I'm doing business with them.

- , Rego Park, NY, USA

Jun 132013

Camry SE 4 cyl

I purchased my car new in 2009, thinking I had made a wise decision in puchasing a good reliable car. It was brought to my attention in June of 2013 that my car had a low leveal of oil when I took it in for regular maintenance. Thought that was strange because I service my car on a regular bases at 5000 miles. I started to notice white smoke coming out of the exhausted pipe in the morings. I took it in to the dealer and they sealed the car up and was advise to bring it back after running it for 2000 to see how much oil the car had consumed. Surly they said don't worry everthing is ok, no need to worry. After reading about other people out there having the same problem, it makes me SO UPSET! Toyota knows about this issue and has not declare it a recall problem, what the hell are they waiting for!!!! with this experiance I will never purchase a toyota again! I am going to fight this and I hope we can all do the same. I worked very had for the things I have and this is not aceptable!!! Please if you are reading this and are having the same problems please fight back!

thanks,

Bee Palacios

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 312013

Camry LE 3.2L

Transmission failed for the car when came out from Elgin Toyota & Sion in Elgin on Feb 12th 2014

at the mileage approx 13600.00

Paid $2200.00 to AAMCO to rebuild the transmission. Still have problem in the car.

Very Frustrating as the car was kept single handed with complete records for maintenance by Paul y Toyota

in Crystal lake & Elgin Toyota & Sion in Elgin IL.

Called Toyota Motors many times but they did not help.

- , Elgin, IL, USA

Oct 252013

Camry LE 4

I have a 2009 Camry 4 cylinder. It has 71,000 miles on it. About 10,000 miles ago (2 oil changes ago), I checked my oil and found it barely registered on the bottom of the dip stick. I was stunned. I added a quart of oil and went on. After having service performed at Toyota again, I checked the oil after a trip and it was a court low. This started out of the blue. I brought this up to my local Toyota dealership who informed me that it was normal for a Camry to burn a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. I was stunned. I have owned many vehicles and never had an oil burner. I change my oil every 5,000 miles faithfully. What is going on? I ask my dealer for a copy of the form they showed me where it was normal oil loss and they have yet to provide a copy. They have started an oil consumption test where I have to go in every 1,200 miles to register the oil loss. Just what I bought a Toyota for, a faulty engine. There needs to be a recall on this as I have heard from a reliable Toyota mechanic it is a problem with the piston and rings which requires a new short block. Big bucks and a black eye for Toyota, so they are going to fight this. They need to remember we all put down a lot of money for a supposedly reliable car only to be fed stories about how it is acceptable to lose a quart of oil every 1,200 miles.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Camry LE 2.4L

I bought brand new from Billpages Toyota dealer. The engine burns oil, first at 12000 miles, is lost 1 quart every 5000 miles. I asked Toyota dealer, they said it is normal. Year by year I have changed the oil every 5000 miles, I have to check every 1500 miles and add 1/2 quart of oil. It just burns more oil. The engine block has no leak at all.

Should the Toyota manufacture have to an extended warranty for the Toyota Camry 2009 because It has been defected for customers to make fair with them.

Vinh Nguyen

- , Sterling, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Camry LX 4 cyl

When I brought my Camry I thought this was the best car, but I found out later. I'm a single parent in school full-time and this takes money out of my family pocket that isn't there. Dealership lies to get the sale for the day and I can't afford to buy another car with my finances. I feel like they stole from me and my family.

- , Rich, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Camry 2.4L

I bought this car brand new in August 2008 [it is a 2009] and have taken excellent care of it. Oil changes every 3,500 miles with tuneups as required. I first noticed the car was very low on oil about 8 months ago when the red light came on. I immediately took it in to Gas Station and am told it's 2 quarts low. I added oil and at next Oil change reported it to my mechanic. He said no oil leak anywhere. I continued to have Oil changes every 3500 miles. Then over this past weekend, Red oil light came on again, and I found it with hardly any oil on dipstick. I added 2 quarts Oil immediately and brought car to my Mechanic on Monday. They checked for Oil Leaks, no oil leak anywhere in engine. Reported it to Toyota, they said it's normal for car to use one quart of oil for every 1200 miles so that means I'd consume 3 quarts of oil in between Oil Changes. No way, they are lying! I had a Honda Accord that went to 195,000 miles and never had a problem with burning oil. I run all of my cars to 150,000 - 195,000 miles and take good care of them. I am outraged, how could this be happening to me when I take care of the Engine? Today I took car to Toyota as it has 83,000 miles and they want to do an "Oil Consumption" test. Toyota acknowledged that the 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder Camry has had problems with Oil Consumption!!! I am devastated! I am out of work/only working part time, I do a lot of driving, a single woman, and I can't afford to have this problem. I will never buy another Toyota.

- , West Long Branch, NJ, USA

Mar 202009

Camry XLE 2.4L

My 2009 Toyota Camry XLE uses approximately 2 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles. I add oil every time I check and see it is a bit low. This is my 5th(and last) Camry I have owned. Car has 58k miles.

Dealer where I bought the Camry and have it serviced tells me this is a common problem with this model. When I ask why Toyota does not issue a recall and fix the problem, I am told the problem is not significant enough to warrant a recall. It is rather significant to me. I can only imagine the expense to Toyota if a recall was issued and repair attempted on all Camry's affected. At my last oil change the dealer started what they call an oil consumption test. I have to take the car back to the dealer every 1,000 miles so they can see how much oil level has dropped. This is a major inconvenience to me as my wife drives this car to work every day. I don't know what this is going to prove except for the dealer to say "yes, your Camry is burning oil".

Service writer suggested I consider something called "BG Performance Oil Change Service". If I understand correctly this is supposed to clean rings and improve compression. I don't see how this would help with the problem. I am only in my first 1,000 miles since last oil change so I will wait and see how it goes over the next 5,000 miles.

- , Hartselle, AL, USA

Oct 032012

Camry LE 3,2

I brought a 2009 Camery with 60,000 miles June 2013 , one month later my oil light came on after checking the oil I noticed it was 4 quarts low ,after 1000 miles later a added 2 more quarts , no oil leaks so what is the problem . Toyota need to do something about this on going problem.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Camry 2.4L

This was my first new car that I ever purchase and I was excited I told my son he would be driving it to college but at 66,113k miles right at the time when the warranty expired the darn thing started to consume a ton of oil. I was driving one day and had to apply the break really quickly the the oil lamp came on I thought to myself the brake has nothing to do with the oil and I had another car that did the same thing and I lost that on which is how I ended up buying this Camry in the first place so I was very shocked to see this sign again so I pull over to the nearest gas station and check the oil in the car the oil stick was bone dry and I had 2000 miles to go before my next oil change I was livid.

I call the dealer and let them have it, they told me to bring the car in a let them do a oil consumption test they first change out the (emergency oil) that I put in just to get over there then they told me to go a 1000 mile and come back for a recheck I did, they told me they did no find a problem. but if it happen again this time at a next Toyota dealer they had me going 1200 miles twice between the 5000 mark that Toyota recommended for the oil change, at the last time the conclude that the car was burning 1.5quart per 1000 miles and it was suppose to burn 1quart per 1000, they suggested that I start changing it at every 3000 mile.

I did it and had the same problem I now know all the service clerks and shuttle driver. Finally they told me to bring it in again this time they recommended to have them take the engine apart which the tech. say would not worth it, because the mileage was over 100,000 he suggested that it would cost way too much it would be better if put that money towards getting a new car. now I am stuck with this car, now between oil change I keep adding 4-5 quarts which is costing me an extra 50 bucks a month I am not happy at all.

- , Heverhill, MA, USA

Sep 232013

Camry ES

I bought a used Toyota Camry in October 2012. It had 50,000 miles on it. I had the oil changed in November 2012. I had driven the car only 2500 miles after the oil change and when I would go around a curve the oil lamp light would flash. I had the oil checked and it was 2 quarts low. So I had a certified mechanic add the proper oil to my car. In another 2500 miles this happened again so I took the car to the Toyota dealer and had the oil changed again. It was 2 quarts low. I have had the oil changed at least four times since the first time. When I ask the dealership to look at my car because it is using oil they look at me really funny. I believe I just bought myself some trouble. I said I would never own another Toyota after my experience with the first one. I should have bought the Chevy Cobalt and not listen to my son. Never, ever buy a Toyota.

- , Garrett, KY, USA