CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Jun 012009

Camry

While merging onto I-5 I pushed the resume speed selection on speed control. The car sped up and exceeded the preset speed of 59 mph and reached 80 mph. Neither applying the brakes or pushing the speed controls on/off switch turned the speed control off. I turned the key off and on to control the steering and used the parking brake to get the car to the shoulder. This was a very freighting experience so I just sat there for a while. I started the car and the engine a couple times and rpms went to the red line. The floor mat was laying flat and hooked. I looked under hood and nothing looked unusual. I started the engine again and it ran normally. I phoned the dealer's service dept, and they said it was probably the floor mats and a recall notice was in the works. We have driven the car about 5000 miles since incident, but we don't use the speed control. I am scheduled to have the accelerator pedal replaced this week.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Dec 202009

Camry

We are senior citizens who only have one vehicle, a 2009 Toyota Camry. In December we had an incident where our vehicle was out of control and the speed was increasing no matter what we did. I called the dealer and was told that it was probably driver error. We recently received a recall letter for both the floormat problem and gas pedal. The service department at sylacauga Toyota was very rude and told me we could not get in for quite a few days and it would take 3 1/2 hours to repair. We are afraid to drive the car because it is a long way to the dealership. We have no other vehicle to use and I am ill and cannot be away from home sitting in a dealership for over 3 1/2 hours. I am petrified to get in our only vehicle.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 082009

Camry

I'm complaining about the recall back in Dec. When I first learned about it I called my dealership hubert vester's Toyota of wilson where I brought my car from to set up a appointment to have it checked. The guy in service dept. Asked if I received a letter and I haven't and thats why I was calling to schedule a appt. They stated that if I haven't received than more than likely my Toyota was not one that was being recall. I was satisfied with that answer I then called customer and asked them or for them to make sure. Before I continue driving on the road. They assured me that my VIN# was not one of them. I also had a oil change on 01/21/10 and tire inspection noone mention it either. Okay so today (03/09/10) in the mail I received a letter stating that I need to have my car taken to the dealership for the recall. 4 months later I been riding on the road endanger my life and my family life. I just think that Toyota should have handle this better and I'm highly disappointed.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Mar 062010

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. She took the vehicle to the dealer for the accelerator replacement on February 23, 2010. On Saturday March 6,2010 while she was stopped at a stop sign, she attempted to accelerate to move into traffic and the vehicle did not accelerate. She continued to depress the accelerator and after a while the vehicle accelerated. The contact stated she will take the vehicle back to the dealer. She also stated that in December of 2009 she had an accident due to sudden acceleration while driving on dry pavement. The failure and the current mileage was 15,500.

- Allison Park , PA, USA

Mar 062010

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. She took the vehicle to the dealer for the accelerator replacement on February 23, 2010. On Saturday March 6,2010 while she was stopped at a stop sign, when she attempted to accelerate to move into traffic the vehicle did not accelerate. She continued to apply pressure to the accelerator and after a while the vehicle accelerated. She will take the vehicle back to the dealer. She also stated that in December of 2009 she had an accident due to sudden acceleration while driving on dry pavement. The failure and the current mileage was 15,500.

- Allison Park , PA, USA

Camry

I got the recall took my car in to be repaired and the accelerator is still sticking I am worried that over time as the vehicle ages it will not be safe to drive.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Camry

Returning from church (my church is situated on a hill) my 2009 Toyota Camry suddenly accelerated while returning to the highway. I immediately stepped as hard as I could on the brake pressing it to the floor, I also shifted the transmission handle to park, it had no effect. I reached the bottom of the hill and shot across four traffic lanes and cut my wheel to the left and slammed into the guard rail. The car then seemed to stop and I was able to shift out of park to neutral. The brakes seemed to come back. However I parked the car and called the sheriffs office who took the accident report. I had the car towed to the Toyota dealer. I previously had both recalls performed on the car.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Camry

I own a 2009 Toyota Camry. A couple of times it would happen that the car would accelerate by itself. I was instructed on how to stop the car in these cases. About a couple of weeks ago I took my car in to repair the recall. They said they have fixed everything, but I have experienced the same issue again. I am wondering if this issue is going to get resolved once and for all. I love my car but I don't feel safe, specially after I have heard that there have been so many other incidents, not to mention deaths caused by this.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 052010

Camry

Before the Toyota recall, I noticed on several occasions sudden acceleration. On 2-17-10 I had the recall fixed on M 2009 Camry at beechmont Toyota. Today, 3-5-10, I had a sudden acceleration again.it feels like when you put your car in cruise control and the car jumps into cruise.

- New Richmond, OH, USA

Feb 242010

Camry

Driving on cruise control at 70mph. Engine shut down and lost all electrical power. Then after about 4 seconds car powered up again on its on & reset cruise. This has happened twice now in a span of 2 months. Brought car to dealer and they said they could not duplicate problem. Checked all connections and codes.nothing showed on scans. I asked about the etc and they said that would not cause the problem I encountered" they said if it happens again and no codes show up or check engine light, there is nothing they can do?" these are the so called tech's words of wisdom.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Mar 052008

Camry

My accelerator is starting to stick a little I have finally received my recall I hope this fixes the problem I have two small kids and I am afraid to drive my car I think Toyota should take these cars back so we can get something else.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Camry

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry had it in for recall repair they reworked throttle pedal and the oil line they also reworked the computer it is now worse than it was it idles at aq high rate and is difficult to stop.

- Antioch, IL, USA

Feb 102010

Camry

2009 Toyota Camry gas pedal recall not right, computer reprogram not working.

- Edina, MN, USA

Mar 042010

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While the contact was driving 5 mph, the vehicle had suddenly surged forward without warning. The contact was able to stop the acceleration by applying pressure to the brakes. Prior to the recent failure, the contact has had the NHTSA campaign id number: 09V388000 and 10V017000 repairs performed on his vehicle. The current and failure mileages were 28000.

- Coridon, IN, USA

Feb 192010

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While the contact was attempting to stop the vehicle traveling at a low speed, the vehicle felt as if it was still accelerating once the brakes were applied. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the vehicle was performing normally. One day prior to the recent failure, the contact had taken her vehicle to the dealership where both NHTSA recalls, 10V017000, and 09V388000, vehicle speed control, accelerator pedal were performed on her vehicle. The current and failure mileages were 26000.

- Los Angles, CA, USA

Mar 012010

Camry

2009 Toyota Camry with acceleration and brake failure. The consumer stated when he applied the brakes, they did not grab. About three quarters of the way driving down a hill, there were not brakes at all. There was plenty of pedal, but the consumer was unable to slow or stop the vehicle. The consumer noticed the speedometer read 83 mph. Finally, the consumer was able to slow the vehicle down a little by using both feet to apply the brakes.

- Moses Lake, WA, USA

Mar 072009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. Whenever the contact drove the vehicle at various speeds the vehicle would suddenly accelerate without warning. In order to stop the acceleration the contact had to apply extreme pressure to the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the vehicle was performing normally. The contact has noticed the failure since the day the vehicle was purchased. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 8900.

- Warwick, PA, USA

Camry

My RPM's are not moving when my car is accelerating.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Camry

This is to inform you that the "fix" for the recall on the sticking accelerators is not 100% effective, if at all. I bought my Toyota Camry in April 2009 and instantly started having issues with my accelerator sticking. I took my car to the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong and/or that what I was experiencing was the transmission being equipped to "hold you back" and save your brakes. I continued having the problem and returned to the dealer only to be told the same thing. On February 13, 2010, I had the recall work performed on my car. 3 weeks later (March 3, 2010), I experienced the sticking accelerator once again. I was under the impression that the accelerator would no longer stick after this "fix" was done. My car is less than a year old and my understanding is that this problem gets worse as the car ages. So far, I have not experienced uncontrolled acceleration, "only" a sticking accelerator, but I am concerned of what the future holds as my car ages and becomes more dangerous to drive. This sticking of the accelerator has occurred a few times a month over the last 11 months.

- Portersville, PA, USA

Mar 012010

Camry

On March 1 at 5:15pm I was on I-295 headed home and my 2009 Toyota Camry le accelerated after I had all three recalls done at the Toyota of waldorf. As I was coming up to a S500 Mercedes I attempted to slow my car down once I pressed the brake, I felt the car switched to a higher gear, I continues to press the brake as hard as I could, finally I pulled off the road to the left into the grass where I then threw it in neutral until it slowed down. I then cut it off and called Toyota to complain. The service manager asked would I like it towed and I replied " what do you think?" I explained to her that I had all the recalled done on my car and I don't understand how this happened. After they towed my car the next morning I called to complain to the GM they then transfer me over to another service manager after I waited for the GM for several minutes. This service manager tells me they are trying to figure out what's wrong and offered me a rental car. I went to pick up the rental and I realized after I got home that there were several different models not just mine that were involved in this recall so I decided to look up this 2010 Tacoma that they gave me and sure enough it was on the list. I decided to park this car and ride to the metro which drops me off half of a mile from my job. I would rather take this hassle than to drive any of these recall vehicles from Toyota. I have a family that I have to protect and if this is how the "Toyota family" care for its customers then I choose to not deal with this "family" in the future. I am requesting from Toyota that they put me in a car of equal value even if its used and one that is not on the recall list. To all that have a recall model from Toyota I recommend that you be very cautious of the repairs done and drive even safer than before. I have been on the phone twice today with the corporate office attempting to speak with someone and both times I was placed on hold for 30 minutes and still couldn't reach anyone.

- Waldorf, MD, USA