Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Feb 192010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact has not received a recall notice from the manufacturer regarding the accelerator pedal. No failures have occurred at this time. The contact had a local mechanic inspect the vehicle and found no failures. The contact spoke with the dealer and was advised to wait for a recall notice. The current and failure mileages were not available.

- Evans, GA, USA

Oct 152008

While parking car in garage, car suddenly accelerated, the front colliding with a tool bench. Damage was done to the car, bench, and wall behind the bench. The car had 1000 miles on it. The car was a Camry hybrid, which has no listing in complaint form.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Feb 172010

When attempting to brake I have occasionally had my vehicle accelerate instead of stopping. This is extremely frightening and I no longer feel safe in my vehicle, especially in light of recent news reports documenting wide spread defects for my particular model. Even when the car does not accelerate while I attempt to brake, there is a delay in the response of the braking system which is a danger in itself. My natural reflex when this happens is to step on the brake peddle with more force and more frequency which, I believe, causes excessive wear and tear on the braking system. Braking/engine problem with 2009 Toyota Camry.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Feb 172010

Toyota recently announced that the cars on their lots were fixed and ready to be sold. Still no notice about bringing your car in. Is this a tacit acknowledgement that they fixed their cars before they are fixing the cars of those of us at risk.

- Dover, DE, USA

Jan 162010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated as she was driving 25mph the vehicle accelerated. She depress the brakes with both feet and the vehicle would not stop. She almost crashed into another vehicle. This failure had happen at least three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, they repaired the failure under the recall. The contact also stated they will not drive the car anymore and the Toyota manufacturer will not purchase the vehicle back. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Nov 222009

We have a 2009 Camry that has intermittent issues in regard to the throttle linkage it has twice become stuck in the wide open position, we are very concerned about this issue and have been ignored by Toyota personal, we feel there is a real problem with the linkage and or computerized linkage issues.

- Lineville, AL, USA

Aug 052008

Camry 6-cyl

Was driving on the freeway. Car had cruise control on and I stepped on the brakes and disengaged it and continued driving. When I pressed the resume button to get back on cruise control, the car accelerated about 7 mph past the set speed and I had to slam on the brakes and repeatedly press the C.C. cancel button to stop extra acceleration. I understand some people may think it's the car speeding up to get to the speed quickly, which it did, but then it just kept accelerating and the motor was whining like it was really trying to race off. This happened about a half a dozen times before I stopped using the C.C. all together. When I called the dealership I was told it was that the car was "zippy" because it was a V6 and it is the cruise control speeding up to the last set speed. No parts were ever fixed on it. I ended up selling it last year after owning it around 9 months.

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Feb 112010

Toyota Camry 2009 would not accelerate from a stopped position at a traffic light, causing my car to get stuck perpendicular in the middle of rush hour traffic. Four days previous to this incident the accelerator was repaired according to the recall. The car was towed to the dealer where the accelerator no longer showed any problems and they denied there was an issue with the car.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 282009

I have a 2009 Camry. I know about the recall for the acceleration problem. This is a similar problem that is different, but actually could be related perhaps. If I set my cruise control for example at 65 (or any speed) and I brake the cruise control deactivates. If I slow to lets say 35 to go through town, and then hit resume, the car accelerates very fast until it gets to 65 again. This acceleration is so fast that you often need to re-brake to re establish control of the car. This has been a constant problem with the 2009 Camry. I have another vehicle Dodge that gradually gains speed when I hit resume and have had a 96 Camry with cruise that had a gradual return to the preset speed. The cruise control on the Camry is dangerous and far faster than I would ever accelerate from 35 to 65 on my own.

- Missouri City , TX, USA

Jan 042010

Twice within a week my gas pedal did not release, resulting in a continued acceleration for my 2009 Camry hybrid. First time was on an exit ramp where I release pressure on the pedal to slow down but it did not move for a few seconds. The second time was pulling out and needing to quickly accelerate, I then released pressure, but the car continued to increase in speed. Both times I move the floor mat toward my seat, and the second time required shifting the car into neutral. After the second incident, I took my car to the dealer who sold it to me and reported the above. They looked at the mat and secured it with clips that were not there before. This was prior to the pedal recalls.

- Western Springs, IL, USA

Apr 222009

I was in a 2009 Toyota Camry that was involved in a crash. I was in a 35 miles zone, going uphill and well within the limit, but when I applied the brakes, the car didn't really slow down enough to not crash into the vehicle that didn't yield at the traffic signal. I didn't think much about it then, since the other driver admitted fault, but it could possibly have been because of a defect with the car's acceleration. Thankfully no one sustained any significant injuries since the airbags got deployed in the Camry. I wouldn't have thought much of the incident, but the news of the recalls just makes me believe that the problem was with the car's acceleration and nothing else.

- Edgewater, NJ, USA

Feb 012010

On 2/01/10 at approximately 8:00 am I was driving my Toyota on the Washington DC beltway 495 North from Virginia. I was nearing 270 North and decided I had better change lanes to stay on my intended route on 495. Looking in the rearview mirror I saw a tractor-trailer was in the right hand lane next to me and I needed some rapid acceleration to get ahead of the truck so I stamped on the accelerator. I stamped much harder than I normally would do. Immediately my accelerator stuck to the floor and the car accelerated from approximately 65 to over 85 miles an hour. I had seen a tv report on the nbc station in DC that advised if your Toyota accelerator sticks apply both feet to the brake pedal and hold it. I forgot the hold it part and I started to pump the brake, which had no effect. I also remembered that the next thing to try was put the car in neutral. This I did and the acceleration stopped immediately. I was able to coast the car off into an area, a triangle between the right lane of the beltway and an oncoming lane. I then turned off the car and physically reached down and pulled the accelerator back up. It "popped" up like a spring. I then restarted the car and continued to work. I remembered that on long trip recently to atlanta that one other time it felt like the accelerator stuck, but that time it was momentary a few seconds. On 2/21/10 the accelerator stayed down I am guessing a good 20-30 seconds before I remembered to put the car in neutral. When I got to work I called Toyota usa to report the problem and they told me my car was not covered by the recall and that I should call a dealer. I called my dealer and he told me there were no parts available or even made for the Camry hybrid and that he would just have to replace the accelerator assembly with the same part. He said they haven't made any new parts for the hybrid. Did not sound like they cared.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Aug 152009

Vehicle was being driven from a stop (stop sign) then through an intersection where a quick stop was necessary. The accelerator pedal "stuck" causing a delayed stop and consequent accident (minor). At the time, the driver (wife) wasn't sure what happened or why (sort of in shock).

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Feb 042010

After repeated calls to Toyota dealer about acceleration problems with only "we'll call you when parts come in" vehicle accelerated and crashed through a metal gate causing significant damage to gate and car. Auto was tolled to collision center for evaluation. After calling Toyota I was told to give problem to insurance carrier

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 022010

My 2009 Camry accelerates suddenly on city streets. There have been several sudden accelerations on turns. My car suddenly accelerated during a right turn and I nearly jumped the curb (twice) take off is not smooth since it temporarily stalls and then suddenly jerks out at a higher speed. The brake petal, steering wheel and car floor all vibrate and the engine makes clunking noises. My car has less than 5,000 miles on it. The petals shift and make clunking noises like wooden clogs. This past month, the passenger cabin smells with gas fumes as the car operates. After the recall, I discovered that I was lied to by the dealer and my car was not made in Japan as I was told at the time of sale.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 182009

I have purchase 2009 Toyota Camry le on August 7, 2009. But my wife was driving when it was involve in an accident on November 18, 2009 due that either the gas pedal stuck or the brakes didn't work properly, that caused a crash to the other cars rear. We have taken to don mcgill Toyota of katy for repair that cost me $3,850 for that damage on the front end. The questions is does my car have the same problem that Toyota has recalled? I would like to someone give me same answers on it.

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 162009

Acc. Sticking, vehicle speed up.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 072009

Toyota Camry cruise control acceleration beyond set speed. My cruise control was set at 65mph. I stopped at a stop light, accelerated back up to 60mph and hit the resume on the cruise control to get the car back up to 65mph. But cruise control did not stop at 65mph. I was up to 80mph before I realized what was happening. Breaking stopped the acceleration. This has happened twice. Reported the incidents to my Toyota service department and was told it does not happen often enough for them to recreate the problem on their diagnostic equipment and they would not be able to find the problem.

- Gilcrest, CO, USA

Feb 042010

When starting from a complete stop and beginning acceleration, and sometimes when trying to quickly accelerate while moving forward, the car will hesitate and not accelrate for about 1/2 to one second while the car is slowing moving into traffic. This is a significant safety issue particularly when turning and crossing traffic and when merging with traffic on a freeway. This is a frequent occurance, but does not seem to follow any particular pattern other than it occurs here and there when accelerating. I took the car back to the dealer within a couple of weeks of buying it and they said that it was functioning fine. I looked on the internet and found that they are many others that have complained about acceleration hesitation issues with the Toyota Camry who also took their cars back to the dealer and received the same response that I did that "it was functioning normally". though I feel that this is a significant safety risk with the car, I feel that my only recourse, since Toyota says it is running fine, is to essentially avoid all situations where sudden quick acceleration is required. Wiith the number of reports on the internet matching my exact problem I feel that this is an issue that needs to be looked into with at least 2009 Toyota Camry.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Aug 222009

Uncontrollable acceleration on a family trip several times. I took it to vanderstyne Toyota dealership in rochester, NY. They said it was insignificant. Normal occurrence and wear. Also, car is not even a year old and standard Michelin energy tires are worn badly even with regularly scheduled maintenance rotation and balance! they have no warranty on tires!

- Rochester, NY, USA