Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Feb 022010

This concerns the current Toyota sudden acceleration problem and my interpretation of the mechanism that may be at work causing these intermittent events. These cars involved have Toyota's new "fly-by-wire" ignition and throttle control system, not the old manual throttle controls. The acceleration events may be coming from stray rf or electro-static discharge (esd) causing an electrical state change in one of the throttle control chip registers which then causes the sudden acceleration. The problem could also be caused by the same rf or esd, but only affect electrical control units in cars that have developed bad ground paths (which allow static charge to build up until it arcs over and zaps a chip) testing for this type for electrical fault must be done under conditions that accelerate the failure mode, ie under conditions that enhance esd occurrence and/or stray rf while changing the resistance of the ground paths to the throttle control module. As a reference point, request Toyota's history on all warranty replaced failed electrical modules involved in/with throttle control for these recalled cars. A hard esd event may cause complete module failure and hence a warranty record. A "soft" esd event may cause state changes on the module chips. A comparatively high module replacement rate would be cause to investigate them and do fema stripback analysis on failed warranty units.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jan 262009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving at 60mph when his vehicle jerked and accelerated at a high speed. The contact took the vehicle to the side of the road, press the brakes and put the vehicle into neutral this slowed down the vehicle and it stopped. The contact drove the vehicle home and then call the dealer and explained what happen and was told to bring the vehicle in. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and it was checked and no problems were found with the vehicle. The failure mileage was 8,400.

- Fairfield, NJ, USA

Nov 232009

On Nov 23, my wife had an accident in her 2009 Camry. She was pulling into a parking space when the car accelerated. The car continued to accelerate with the brake on. The car has been cosmetically fixed ($9500). We have no faith in this recall for gas pedal. There is much more here, a sensor or computer failure. Toyota has still not fixed our car because they do not have recall parts yet. They also said they were going to install break over-ride software when that becomes ready. Please continue your investigation. I feel we have not heard the last about this issue.

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Jan 262010

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry xle. The contact was backing out of a driveway. There was pressure applied to the brake pedal, which was followed by unintended acceleration. The vehicle crashed into the utility pole. There was no personal injuries. The vehicle sustained minor damages. The police was not called to the scene. The failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 3/4/2010 updated 05/17/10.

- Woodbury, GA, USA

Dec 092009

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry built in the usa. I have experienced the sticking accelerator problem 3 times since buying the car in April 2008. Luckily I have put the car in neutral each time before I had an accident. I understand that my car is not in the recent pedal recall, but I think it should be.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 092009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry which was purchased February 2009. The vehicle was taken into the dealer for a routine oil change. The following day while parking in her garage and barely touching the accelerator pedal, the vehicle accelerated and crashed through a gate and proceeded to crash though a second gate. The vehicle continued to accelerated, crashed and wrapped around a single pole in the parking garage. The contact sustained injuries to her chest due to the seat belt and her stomach area. The manufacturer was contacted; however, they would not assume liability for the incident. The vehicle was repaired by an independent repair mechanic via the insurance company. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 8,000.

- Las Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 152009

As I was attempting to slow down my 2009 Toyota Camry by pressing down with my right foot on the brake pedal, the engine was not slowing down. When I looked down to be sure that my foot was not on the accelerator pedal as well as the brake pedal, I noticed that the accelerator pedal had not returned to the idle position.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Dec 152009

On or around December 15th I was exiting monroe exit when my vehicle had accelerated without any cause that I had to immediately hit my brakes to try and slow my vehicle down. This happened in indio, California coming home from blythe off the interstate 10.West. Vehicle was taken in for svc on 01/30/10 and was no problem was found. I had told my husband in Dec. But he must not have heard me, I had reminded him and at point he inform the dealer in indio, ca and was inform to take the vehicle in yet was told no problem was found.

- Indio, CA, USA

Dec 252009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry which was purchased in 2008. He stated that within 5,000 miles of purchasing the vehicle, both the left and right front axles failed and were replaced under warranty. While driving 70 mph, the engine revved and the vehicle began to accelerate. The vehicle accelerated over 118 mph for approximately 3 miles while the contact was depressing the brake pedal in an attempt to stop the acceleration. The vehicle did not slow down. He then forced the vehicle into neutral and the vehicle began to coast until finally coming to a stop. The dealer was contacted and they advised him not to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The contact had not yet heard from Toyota, to date. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 26,000.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Aug 172009

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry/le and when the vehicle in "cruise control" mode going down a hill the speed increases up to 15mph. At that point I turn the cruise control off to slow the vehicle down. I have no problems with the cruise control other than going "down" hill. Not sure if this is normal for the vehicle or not. Tw*

- Santee, CA, USA

Aug 242009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 25 mph the vehicle accelerated into the intersection through a red light and crashed into a vehicle. She engaged the brake pedal with both feet. There were no injuries. A police report is available if needed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and it was repaired. The Toyota manufacturer has not been notified. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 262010

Whom it may concern: My wife and I bought our 2009 Camry for safety. So we could feel safe taking our children to their sporting events, school, etc. We have been experiencing the throttle sticking issue. The entire time we have had the car. First at 10,000 miles, 18,000 miles, 33,123 miles, 36,000 miles, and 38,500. My wife took the car in the third time at 33,123 miles to thompson Toyota in edgewood md insisting it wasn't the floor mats. They insisted it was the floor mats even though my wife said other wise. The ran a diagnostic on the problem and couldn't find anything. They blamed it on a dirty air filter and carbon build up on the throttle body. My wife requested to be taken back and be shown this, they refused to show her the dirty throttle body. Tompson Toyota wanted to charge my wife $200 to perform this service. She called me and I told her to bring the car home. The fifth time it happened at 38,500 miles on the car. My wife and I were driving to the grocery story when the car accelerated to 80mph. On the last two occasions this happened the floor mats were out.

- Perryville, MD, USA

Aug 222009

While driving home with my wife in her 2009 Toyota Camry le and approaching a traffic controlled intersection that was still some distance away, we suddenly traveled the distance to the intersection very quickly and by the time I was able to slow the vehicle down, we were in the middle of the intersection. The result was a collision with another vehicle crossing the intersection. The other vehicle was not significantly damaged, but our vehicle was a total loss. Thankfully, there were no injuries. At the time, the most reasonable explanation appeared to be inclement weather; [it happened during a strong rain storm]. we assumed that what seemed like a very rapid traversing of distance and the unresponsiveness of the vehicle was due to poor visibility and slippage. Yet I remember remarking to my wife that the vehicle had appeared to accelerate on its own, but I had no way of confirming this. I am now convinced that this was actually the cause.

- Lake Hiawatha, NJ, USA

Jan 072010

I write you in regard the Toyota recall, I bougth a Toyota Camry 2009 and I've received a recall letter, first one about the mats, but they never contact to solve the problem, now I received another one about the acceleration stuck, in this letter they say that they will advise in another separate letter when a campaign remedy is available for my vehicle. In fact, the accelerator stuck me twice, today I was trying to call all numbers I have (Toyota customer service, Toyota experience service, Toyota of orlando and central Florida Toyota) to see when they going to solve this but nobody knows nothing, meanwhile the people are risk their own lives and the others in an unsecure car.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 122009

Accelerator stuck, wide open position, sudden acceleration to high speed, while driving. Unable to stop vehicle with braking system.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jan 202010

I have noticed that my 2009 Camry idles very fast and the dealer says this is normal. My around town gas mileage is way off from the original estimates!!!!!several times I have noticed that the acceleration will drop off the second that I take my foot off the pedal. Please advise asap!!!!!!!!!

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Dec 102009

Gas pedal stuck. Cause by the floor mat was removed and still semi sticks.

- Modesto , CA, USA

Jan 212010

Toyota motor sales (tms), U.S.a., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 242010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. Approximately one month ago the the contact stated that her radio display was not visible whenever she started the vehicle. Within a few weeks, the rear power windows began opening on their own. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph when the brakes were engaged; however, the vehicle would not stop which caused her to crash into a vehicle in front of her. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to a body shop who advised the contact that there was also an electrical failure since the vehicle would start. The repair shop made several attempts to start the vehicle and was unsuccessful. The manufacturer advised her that the recall repair will start in April and that she would have to wait until then. The contact stated that the air bags did not deploy. The failure mileage was 19854.

- North Ridge, CA, USA

Nov 302009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry le. While parking the vehicle at approximately 3 mph, the accelerate pedal stuck which caused the contact to crash into the front porch of a house. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The front passenger side fender was crushed. The manufacturer sent a representative to investigate the failure on January 11, 2010. The representative advised the contact that she would receive a report in the mail before she can have the vehicle repaired or replaced. The failure mileage was 8,111.

- Mason Town, PA, USA