Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jun 182016

While driving at various speeds the speedometer goes to 0 even though the car is still performing and accelerating. The ABS light comes on and the dealer said that the ABS actuator needs to be replaced. It seems like this is a known issue especially with the hybrid model and should be recalled and repaired by Toyota

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Nov 012015

11/01/2015 @ 10:05am on Maryland route 29 North, route 40 exit. Car speed around 30 mph - slowly exiting on ramp. Suddenly, four distinct beeps were heard and car accelerated without warning. Lost steering and control over speed - car zig/zagged. Stepped on brake as hard as I could - car eventually came to a stop. Road condition was slightly damp after light rain. Luckily, no other car was around. Taking the vehicle to trusted mechanic to have it evaluated for safety concerns.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 212015

Steering wheel started vibrating on reaching the speed of 60 mph. It was more prominent while driving straight while it was not as much while negotiating the bends. However, no vibration was felt at slower speeds. I have got both front and rear rotors and break pads changed recently, all wheels have been balanced and alignment done. I wonder if the manufacturer would take care to identify the cause and recommend remedy.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Jul 102015

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the tachometer gauge was not displaying the correct reading levels, and the odometer dropped to zero. In addition, while driving at 65 mph, the ABS and the brake warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,283.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 172015

Re 2009 Toyota Camry le with 62,100 miles; assembled in either georgetown ky, lafayette or Indiana: The brake actuator assembly failed, resulting in the illumination of various warning lights and the "rpms started bouncing communication code U0073, " according to the dealership. In a 2012 and 2013 recall for different Toyota vehicles, the record about this same failure states "(a)N electrical component within the actuator may experience an increased resistance resulting in the illumination of various warning lights, including those for the vehicle stability control (vsc) system, antilock brake system (ABS), and traction control system...[meaning] these systems could become inoperative, reducing the directional control assistance, increasing the risk of a crash."

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 262015

Check vsc system and check engine lights came on. Pulled up to a stop sign going 25mph and had decreased brake function. Had to push brake pedal very hard to get the car to stop. Brakes functioned normally after that but lights are still on.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 192014

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While the vehicle was idling and the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact applied more pressure to the brake pedal, but the vehicle failed to stop. In order to stop the vehicle, the contact shifted into neutral and depressed the brake pedal continuously. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Jul 232014

Camry 4-cyl

About a month ago I was driving along and the radio got really loud for no reason for 10 seconds and then subsided. I didn't think much of this at the time, but after Wednesday, I now believe it must have been related somehow. I was sitting off-road waiting for traffic to pass by in order to turn-around and begin driving South. I had just turned on the car and turned the steering wheel in order to make my approximate 175 degree turn. My foot was on the brake and the car ready to move. All of a sudden the engine revved up and the car tried lurching forward as though someone's foot was on the accelerator. I had to reassert my foot pressure on the brake in order to keep the car from moving. My foot had not left the brake, there was no person or thing trying to accelerate the car, it just occurred. The news about faulty accelerators entered my mind. There has not been any further incident at this time.

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Jun 012014

Camry 6-cyl

When entering my garage, the car automatically accelerated crashing through the back wall of the garage. I applied the brake but they didn't appear to work as the car was accelerating too fast. The car finally came a stop in the backyard against a fence post that was in concrete.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jan 282010

I had picked up a passenger about 1 1/2 hours from my home. I was returning home & noticed that the gas pedal was accelerating even tho I was pressing the brake. I couldn't stop the car& a curvy road was ahead along with a cliff. My option was to go over the cliff or go into possible oncoming traffic to try to stop the vehicle. I opted to try to turn the car into a nearby driveway. Luckily no oncoming traffic was close enough to hit my car as I did this. The driveway was slanted & as I turned into the driveway I smacked into a snow bank which tore my front bumper off. Luckily there were no personal injuries. I reported this to Toyota & my insurance ( at the time of the accident I had heard about a Toyota recall having to do with gas pedal but it had been a while & I hadn't received notification of the recall affecting my vehicle). My personal car insurance covered the $3000 worth of damage to the bumper radiator, grill, etc. Over 4 years later & I still haven't recovered my deductible from Toyota for a known defect in the pedal! had I been notified timely of the recall affecting my vehicle this could have been avoided! instead, I had to cover the cost to repair damage out of my pocket & I had whiplash for a few weeks caused by a known issue Toyota knew of! I'm furious & disappointed that I chose a Toyota!

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Nov 222009

Camry 4-cyl

We started noticing that the car would accelerate slowly. It was so slight we couldn't tell at first. I would take my foot off the gas pedal and notice that the mph would increase very slowly. I thought that was weird but the incidents would be so far apart. I would not catch it doing it again literally for months. Until one Sunday we were on the freeway, my husband was driving, we were talking when I looked out the window and noticed the trees going by really fast. As I was telling him to slow down and he was telling me that he hadn't been pressing his foot to the pedal a constable pulled us over for speeding. We had been doing 88mph. We were not in a rush to get anywhere. This car continues to do it every so often. We have complained twice to the dealer. They once kept it for a week to check. They found nothing, which doesn't surprise me because it only happens once every couple of months or more and it is very slow at it. The Toyota dealer shaved the pedal and told me not to use a second mat. I did that. They told me not to worry about it. Well the car still accelerates on its own from time to time. I notice it when I wonder why I am going so fast when I have not been pressing hard on the pedal. My feet are in good condition and I am only a women's size 8 so that can't be the problem. I wonder if they are waiting for the car to accelerate faster and more often and if I have to have an accident before Toyota will hear me. To tell the truth I am beyond mad. We have had a 1994 Camry which reached more than 200,000 miles on just oil changes, tune ups and minor repairs and a 1994 Celica that we still own. They were great cars so when we bought a 2009 Camry we expected the same quality. We are beyond disappointed at this point but we are stuck. And the fact that my car is defective and it's not my fault and no one wants to do anything about it makes me stark raving mad.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 082013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle unexpectedly increased acceleration without warning. The brake pedal was depressed with force and the vehicle came to a stop. There was a voluntary recall issued by the manufacturer related to the faulty acceleration; however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified was of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- St. Louis , MO, USA

Mar 202014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the engine RPM's suddenly increased as the vehicle started to accelerate without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the contact was advised that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 39,000. Updated 5/19/14 the consumer stated that after having the vehicle investigated by the manufacturer and insurance company, it was found that nothing interfered with the accelerator pedal. Therefore, the failure was not a design defect. All damages were repaired. Updated 05/28/2014

- Mocksville, NC, USA

Feb 022014

Camry 4-cyl

I was pulling out on to the highway at a very slow speed when my accelerator stuck all of the way down to the floor. There was a Jeep next to me and he had to pull into the outside lane to avoid a collision with me. The car has been accelerating and then slowing down on its own as I am driving down the highway. The RPM's increase and the go back to the normal reading when I am driving down the road. You can hear the engine rev up higher and then go back to the original reading.

- Marquette, MI, USA

Apr 202013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated the throttle body and accelerator pedal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 51,267.

- Milltown, NJ, USA

Jun 082013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry le. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into two vehicles. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,800...updated 07-10-13 updated 07/16/2013

- Worcester, MA, USA

Apr 112012

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not duplicate the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Apr 132013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact crashed into a tree. There were no injuries to report. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic. The police reported to the scene and a report was filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 50,700.

- Washington, IL, USA

Feb 082013

I have a Toyota Camry 2009. My car went through the recall services, Toyota had for the acceleration problems through one of their dealers. However, on 02/08/2013, I was involved in an accident, wherein I felt this problem myself. On a busy road I may have been driving between 35-40 mph, when all of a sudden, when I applied brakes, my car wouldn't stop but accelerated to maybe double the speed and hit the car in front of me. It appeared as if there are no brakes in the car.the impact was so severe, that I am still nervous and shaken up with the incident. The person driving the car I hit, thought I was speeding. But it definitely was the acceleration problem. This problem has not yet resolved and could lead to many more accidents. I have reported this problem to Toyota dealership and on their suggestion to the Toyota customer experience team. I was extremely lucky, that there were no physical injuries in the accident, but it could have been fatal.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Dec 252012

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes were applied and the vehicle began to accelerate. The driver crashed into a pole and was transported to the hospital via ambulance for treatment of injuries. The vehicle was towed to a towing company and was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact stated the vehicle was serviced prior to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V388000(vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal). The vehicle was destroyed in the crash. The approximate failure and current mileage was 70,000..... updated 02-20-13 updated 2/21/2013

- Birmingham , AL, USA