Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Mar 282015

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to shift out of the park position without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,500. Updated 6/25/15 the stop light switch was replaced. Updated 01/27/16.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Aug 272014

Glare due to melted dashboard cause delay reaction due to poor visibility resulting in double impact. The dashboard issue looks to be a cosmetic issue but it really should be a recall as it is clearly a poor manufacturing product that when in contact with the sun turns into a shinny sticky residue that reflects the direct light right into de driver and passenger's face. Toyota should stand by their product and replace the poorly designed dashboards before a fatality occurs.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 032014

Camry 4-cyl

Bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour; Dodge truck w/trailer hitch stopped on a dime; I ran into back of truck; but then my car lunged forward on its own Accord and I hit the truck a second time. I had my foot on the brake and it lunged! car is in the shop but I still have not found out what the cost of damage will be or the time frame for repairs. It has lunged before; but I have not been in an accident before this because of the sudden acceleration.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Nov 152013

Camry 4-cyl

Paint is fading in areas, some areas looks like there is no paint color left at all. Headlamps have had to be restored twice in less than 4 years. Dashboard is sticky, small pieces/chunks are coming off, at times the sun shade sticks to the dashboard.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Camry 4-cyl

On July 18, 2014 while traveling out of town, I smelled a burning while driving on the interstate. Pull over at the next rest stop to look the car over and I notice the headlight cover had burned. On July 22, 2014, back in town, I took the car to Toyota dealership and was informed that 51 previous bulb melted and discolored headlight housing. Please note that the bulb was replaced at the dealership two months ago. I was also advised that no light is escaping from housing which may cause it to overheat over a period of time and estimate cost to replace housing - $499.75 (includes all labor and taxes). My concern is that this bulb melted and cause a burn on the headlight cover, this is a defect and consumers should not be paying for a defective part that cost almost $500. This requires the complete housing to be replaced and not the cover nor does it repair the problem since this can happen again.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Mar 272014

Contact stop lamp switch in brake pedal assembly failed causing shift lever to become locked in "park" position and vehicle brake lights to become inoperative. Appears to be an identical problem to NHTSA campaign # 12V091000.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jun 022014

2009 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlights replacement issues. The consumer stated the headlight lens covers faded and turned yellow.

- Warrenton, NC, USA

May 032014

Camry 4-cyl

The brake and ABS lights went on, the speedometer and odometer stopped working. I had the brakes replaced. The problem continued. I had the car diagnosed and the electrical has failed. I need to change the interior computer. Cost $2,100.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 172013

Camry 4-cyl

Last year on August 2012, my car stop running and I brought to one of the mechanic that towed and fixed my water pump. This year, I brought my car to Toyota dealer for some recalls and find out that my antifreeze is entered to my water pump again and need to replace with new one... total cost will be more than $650 dollars. I wonder if there any recall for this matter before or do I have to deal with the same problem every years!!! please investigate this problem. Thanks

- Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 012012

Parked car in driveway two hours later my neighbor told me my lights were on. Light switch was off could not get lights to go off. Called tow truck they could not get lights to turn off, so they pulled the fuses for the lights. Three hours later the horn started blowing, ,had to disconnect to get it to stop. Took into Toyota dealer where I bought it, a year ago. They said they thought it was a after market alarm system that was installed previously to my ownership. They disconnected it, three weeks later same thing started happening, except this time the high beam headlights would not turn off. Take it back to Toyota and now they say it is an internal electrical problem that may cause other problems if not fixed. Around $825.

- Clearlake, CA, USA

Sep 022009

The design of the headlights on the Camry is awful. You cannot see the overhead signs on the highways at night without turning on the bright lights which will blind other oncoming cars. You cannot even see the street signs without turning on the bright lights. It's like the top of the lights are cut off. The dealer said the lights are correct; they checked the aim and said that is the way they are made. This car is unsafe to drive at night.

- Athens, TN, USA