Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 012013

Driver's side sun visor constantly droops and sags, unable to maintain closed position. U.S. made Camry were subject to recall. This subject Camry was made in Japan imported to U.S.

- Kapolei, HI, USA

Aug 222015

Oil change done June 22,2015. Went to local mechanic to check all fluids before drive to tampa. Oil level very low. Had oil added on August 22,2015. On October 27, 2015 I noticed a red light on left side of dashboard saying maint says time for oil change. Sticker from toyato says next oil change 95,330 miles, im only 94,100 or close. Is there a recall. I contacted Toyota customer service and was told that there was an oil problem, windshield wiper and sun visor problem, which I had not recognized the oil problem. I thought the dealership had just neglected to put the right amount of oil in doing the oil change. Prior to problem I received possible recall notice for something else. Campaign # id#15V577 reference # 878051. I will be calling Toyota (autonation) in pinellas park about problem. The light comes on whenever I start up the engine and stays on for about 2 to 3 minutes while driving.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 052014

In spite of keeping sun shades up all the time the car is parked, my dashboard is increasingly sticky and melting. The shiny glare that has developed on the dashboard reflects in my eyes and makes it very difficult to drive safely.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 212015

Steering wheel started vibrating on reaching the speed of 60 mph. It was more prominent while driving straight while it was not as much while negotiating the bends. However, no vibration was felt at slower speeds. I have got both front and rear rotors and break pads changed recently, all wheels have been balanced and alignment done. I wonder if the manufacturer would take care to identify the cause and recommend remedy.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Aug 072015

I own a 2009 Toyota Camry. In 2013 or 2014 Toyota repaired the drivers side sun visor. Now the passenger side sun visor is drooping, it hangs freely and will not remain in either the up or down position. Toyota says they can't repair this since the car is more than five years old.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Mar 012013

I cant give a definitve date when I noticed but I did notice it seemed to appear as if I had put a coat of conditioner on it, I assumed it was just a matter of the heat causing excess conditioner to leach out. I attempted to wipe it off and realized it was sticky and it was near the warranty expiration time. One cold moring I got in the car and realized no normal dashboard should look like that and pressed it with my fingernail and realized it was soft. I take my car in on fairly regular basis to a Toyota dealer. Which is why I believe the service technicians saw the pattern of change and choose not to document it or say anything as it may involve a problem that would not involve profit for Toyota or the dealership. My last trip was for a defect on the visor and I mentioned it to the service agent who choose not to make any comment which I noted as odd ( a typical action when management has instruced employees not to comment on a known problem). A month or so later I received a notice in the mail that they woul take care of the problem with a complimentary fix to the problem. The letter I received appears to be a stalling tactic to get customers to wait, not fix the problem and or seek reimbursement utill it's too late for redress. On my last visit I insisted they make note of the problem due to dangerous glare being reflected off the dashboard onto the windshield. I stated it was a grave safety issue. The letter stated they needed to acquire enouh parts to fix the cars and do no contact the dealer to wait for a notice to bring your car in. If I had an accident it would not take over six months to acquire the parts if I or the insurance company was paying for it. Believe me if CEO's of Toyota or there loved ones were driving with this problem they would immediately fix the problem, they probably have and kept it off the record.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jul 292015

I made an era on the form just sent. The confirmation number (ODI number is: 10744793. There were 2 holes in the rear window of my parked vehicle; 1 was extra large and the other one a little smaller. The other portion of the window was shattered but still in tact. The police officers investigated to see if there was foul play, but none was found. They found no rocks or any thing else in the car that may have caused the damage

- Riverside, RI, USA

Jul 292015

The vehicle was parked at my residence. There were 2 holes in the in the rear window;one was extra lrge and the other small. The rest was shattered, but still intact. The police investigated to see if there was foul play, but found none.they found rocks or or anything else in the car that may have caused the holes etc. The police report number is 152829-of. When I closed the door the whole thing caved in. The officers taped up the rear for me. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

- Riverside, RI, USA

Jul 072015

The sun visor in driver side defect, loose and may block driver's vision

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 012014

Excessive oil consumption recall: Over the last year I noticed my oil consumption was drastically increasing. I started burning through oil and having to add a quart every 2 months and now monthly. In the past few months, a very large plume of white smoke would spew out of my tail pipes; not just a little but a large cloud of smoke. It has a very burnt smell to it too. The smoke dissipates after the car warms and as long as the car is warm, it will not smoke. It only smoke when the vehicle has been off for over 2-3 hours. I was told by a certified Toyota mechanic that I need to replace the engine due to faulty internal parts. He stated it was the reason for such a high level of oil consumption. I discovered that Toyota is currently recalling certain engine blocks due to oil consumption defects, however my VIN number is not part of that recall as of now. According to Toyota, my VIN could eventually become part of the recall (oil consumption recall) but as of now, it is not. I don't understand how a major manufacturer will not stand by their product and repair my engine considering they are already recalling other engines with the exact same issues I am having with my Camry. This was my first Camry too. Very disappointed with Toyota.

- Mira Loma, CA, USA

May 182015

At intermittent times, most noticeably while braking or turning or both, warning light and sound activates. Checked just recently, no oil on dipstick. Suspect excessive oil consumption manufacturer defect on my year and model which is not being addressed by Toyota.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jan 062015

First to fail was the speedo after the ABS and brake light came on. No actual brake problem but the lack of speedometer is unsafe. ABS unit essentially controls instrument cluster..not necessary or safe plus dealer repair part approx $1800.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 182014

The dashboard to my Camry is very sticky. I live in the state of Florida and the glare on the wind shield caused by the melting dashboard is so bad I have to lean to my right while driving in order to see better. This is definitely a safety issue and I need some information asap on getting this problem resolved. It's a shame that Toyota does not correct this issue. How many accidents/deaths have to occur before something is done!?

- Orlando , FL, USA

Jun 012013

Camry 4-cyl

Toyota Camry 2009. When dash heats up it starts shinning and cause glare on windshield, it causes obstructive vision to the driver's visibility of the roadway. In addition, the material on the dashboard would become very sticky and appeared to be melting. Glare is a safety issue and should be recalled.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Oct 092014

2009 Toyota Camry. Consumer stated engine did not turn off even after pushing the power off button. The car was parked in the garage over a period of time. Consequently, carbon monoxide entered the consumer's home. She and her husband went to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. The consumer stated she did not know she had to hold the button, to completely turn the vehicle off..

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 032014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard has been progressively melting. It is sticky and reflects a glare in the windshield.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 032014

Camry 4-cyl

Bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour; Dodge truck w/trailer hitch stopped on a dime; I ran into back of truck; but then my car lunged forward on its own Accord and I hit the truck a second time. I had my foot on the brake and it lunged! car is in the shop but I still have not found out what the cost of damage will be or the time frame for repairs. It has lunged before; but I have not been in an accident before this because of the sudden acceleration.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Sep 182014

The brake and ABS light are on, the speedometer and RPM meter goes to 0 when I was driving at 40 mph. It also happened when I was stopped in park. The A/C also don't work. The fault is intermittent.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Aug 022013

Dashboard defect, melting. Over time it has become increasingly difficult to see while driving. Especially when sunny there is a glare in the window. Wearing sunglasses only helps minimally.

- North Miami Beach, FL, USA

Jun 172013

Camry 4-cyl

Last year on August 2012, my car stop running and I brought to one of the mechanic that towed and fixed my water pump. This year, I brought my car to Toyota dealer for some recalls and find out that my antifreeze is entered to my water pump again and need to replace with new one... total cost will be more than $650 dollars. I wonder if there any recall for this matter before or do I have to deal with the same problem every years!!! please investigate this problem. Thanks

- Springfield, VA, USA